Kyle Lohse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Kyle Lohse

Rotoworld is citing Jim Bowden as saying the Red Sox make the most sense for Kyle Lohse.

Apparently the logic is that the Sox are short of aging pitchers heavily dependant on defense and luck.

Lohse will not come to the AL unless he gets the money he wants, which is unlikely in February.  Look for him to take a one year deal in the NL with hopes of re-establishing his market value.  If he is smart, he will go to San Diego. 

But really, I would expect Philadelphia to make more sense.  After the Big Three, the Phillies figure to be using Kyle Kendrick and Tim Cloyd in their rotation, and this is not a team that is rebuilding, but is in a very competitive division...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Kyle Lohse

In response to notin's comment:

Rotoworld is citing Jim Bowden as saying the Red Sox make the most sense for Kyle Lohse.

Apparently the logic is that the Sox are short of aging pitchers heavily dependant on defense and luck.

Lohse will not come to the AL unless he gets the money he wants, which is unlikely in February.  Look for him to take a one year deal in the NL with hopes of re-establishing his market value.  If he is smart, he will go to San Diego. 

But really, I would expect Philadelphia to make more sense.  After the Big Three, the Phillies figure to be using Kyle Kendrick and Tim Cloyd in their rotation, and this is not a team that is rebuilding, but is in a very competitive division...

Grabbing another good starter could be the difference in our division.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

But spending $14M on a marginal upgrade from Lackey to Lohse means we can't improve anywhere else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

One of the best lines of the year. :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Lohse does not strike me as an upgrade.

He puts too many balls in play, and far too many line drives.    How he kept his ERA under 3.00 last year was one of the greatest tricks since Harry Houdini.

He also turns 35 this year and is looking for 4 years, although he might take 3 at this point.  He might take one year for now, but doubtful he attempts to rebuild value in the AL. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Lohse does not strike me as an upgrade.

He puts too many balls in play, and far too many line drives.    How he kept his ERA under 3.00 last year was one of the greatest tricks since Harry Houdini.

He also turns 35 this year and is looking for 4 years, although he might take 3 at this point.  He might take one year for now, but doubtful he attempts to rebuild value in the AL. 

Also, apparently Jim Bowden hasn't  been paying attention to the Sox offseason at all.  The Sox weren't willing to part with a draft pick all winter, so I highly doubt they are going to start with a guy like Lohse, especially when their rotation seems set already, barring injury. 

Farrell said on Thursday that they're going to stretch out both Morales and Aceves this spring for depth to go along with De La Rosa, Webster and Wright.  Farrell couldn't stop talking about how he thinks Wright could be the surprise of the season, featuring a hard knuckler that is similar to R.A. Dickey.  I'm sure they are still looking at rotation depth on Minor League deals, but I don't see them giving any kind of guaranteed deal to a starter at this point...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

But spending $14M on a marginal upgrade from Lackey to Lohse means we can't improve anywhere else.

You make a great point Joe, I also have my doubts as to how well Lohse would do in Boston.  We could be looking at another bad signing.  I would still rather see us trade for another young pitcher to come up with Barnes and company.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Maybe there's a reason that Jim Bowden is no longer an MLB GM...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Maybe there's a reason that Jim Bowden is no longer an MLB GM...

He had this odd habit of collecting other  teams' failed top prospects and hoping they would pan out.  None ever did...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i thought loshe signed with the nats months ago??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

No other AL East team has had their names connected with Lohse either.  There must be a reason because only Tampa probably has enough starting pitching to not need to consider one of the "top" free agent starters of this year's class of free agents.

I agree with notin that he would be smart to sign a one year deal with San Diego and then look to be a free agent again next winter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Bowden also has King Felix, Verlander and Price to Yanks fterv213.

blowhard.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

No other AL East team has had their names connected with Lohse either.  There must be a reason because only Tampa probably has enough starting pitching to not need to consider one of the "top" free agent starters of this year's class of free agents.

I agree with notin that he would be smart to sign a one year deal with San Diego and then look to be a free agent again next winter.

Baltimore has been connected, but only mildly...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya no thanks on lohse. we already have lackey and dempster, no need for any more aging pitchers. Also, one guy to watch is rubby de la rosa, he could push for a rotation spot this spring, the kid has talent and if he dominates spring training he should get a shot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Unless you guarentee him a rotation spot, we have no use for this guy. That, and I dont think Fenway is a good place to establish his value...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Just say,"no to Lohse!".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Sounds Like Jim Bowden again is very interested in getting GM job of RS? Why else would he endorse giving up that draft pick for a 35 yr old RH pitcher to a deal, when no one else is? Don't go for it Ben C.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The only way Lohse will get a multi-year deal is if a team loses a starter now or during spring training and then that team is desperate for a starter. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

ya no thanks on lohse. we already have lackey and dempster, no need for any more aging pitchers. Also, one guy to watch is rubby de la rosa, he could push for a rotation spot this spring, the kid has talent and if he dominates spring training he should get a shot.

All for Rubby if he shines in spring.   Who goes to the pen or gets traded when and if he takes spot in rotatrion?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craig2174's comment:

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

All for Rubby if he shines in spring.   Who goes to the pen or gets traded when and if he takes spot in rotatrion?

They'll start with lester, Buch, Doubie, Lackey and Dempster barring injury. I dont think it matters who shines in ST as far as other pitchers. Those should be the starting 5. I think they want RDLR to get some more innings under his belt before bringing him up. Even if there is an injury I think Morales or Aceves will be looked to first. Of course that is unless DLR is just unstoppable in AAA. But look for the other 2 first...