Lackey > I WAS WRONG

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Lackey > I WAS WRONG

I know it's only half the season, but.....

12 games

.302 ERA

9 out of 12 games with 3 or fewer ER

You want your answer to Lester?  We have had it this entire season!  LACKEY :)

Unbelievable!!!! 

I mercilessly RIPPED the guy since he stepped foot in Boston.  Much of it was deserved.

Still.....    This guy has legitimately turned it around.  Perhaps the injuries were real?  Probably! 

****  The biggest change I see is with his attitude!  His shape & conditioning are also HUGE!  Injuries????  are last on my list.  I could be wrong, but I think they were over-stated.

HATS OFF to Lackey!  You have earned my respect!  You are are legit #2

Keep up the good work :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Lackey > I WAS WRONG

p.s.   I was not wrong about him sukking!

I was wrong about saying that he sukked & ALWAYS WOULD sukk

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He did stink, and most of us thought he would continue to do so.  But very obviously Tommy John surgery, the year and a half off, and his own determination to get into great shape have brought him back to being the pitcher the Sox thought they signed.  Almost nobody on this board was saying in spring training or earlier that Lackey would make a great comeback this year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

U were not wrong... he has been terrible up until this year, and he was a bad signing even before the trouble. Now he is pitching great.... and good for him and us. However you were NOT wrong about him.

Agreed!  He was a bad signing without a shred of a doubt!  No question about it.

What I was wrong about is saying "he suKKKKKs, never really had it, & NEVER EVER will!!!"

Biggest surprise of the season!  BIGGEST!  I still have to pinch myself!

Papi is a close second, but Lackey absolutely FLOORS ME!

Fingers crossed!  He's still a #4 / 5 pitching like a #2/3, so I will absolutely keep my fingers crossed!

Let's pray he keeps pitching over his head!   OR.....  better yet!  Let's pray that I really was all wrong about Lackey, and he REALLY is a solid #2/3 when healthy????

Yet to be determined........   Suddenly I'm hopeful about keeping him for a free year????

Lackey?  Rocking my baseball / Red Sox world :)

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

We were a little big wrong because Lackey was in fact pretty effective for the Angels.  What we are seeing now is what he did for several years, which is why the Sox signed him.  The Sox also signed Hanrahan, he went almost directly to mash 4077 for surgery.  The Yankees signed Youk in the offseason, and he has already been on the DL twice. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

12 games

.302 ERA

Unbelievable!!!! 

I mercilessly RIPPED the guy since he stepped foot in Boston.  Much of it was deserved.

Still.....    This guy has legitimately turned it around.  Perhaps the injuries were real?  Probably! 

****  The biggest change I see is with his attitude!  His shape & conditioning are also HUGE!  Injuries????  are last on my list.  I could be wrong, but I think they were over-stated.

is it fair to ask if beckett was holding  him back

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Posters on this board tend to follow the Pied Piper of the media and rip every player that goes through a bad streak or stretch. This was done with Lugo, Lackey , Lester, Pedroia, Crawford and numerous lesser situations.

MLB baseball is not as easy as the talented ones make it look. Yes, they are way over paid. If I could do it , and if you could do it, we would be foolish to be sitting here critical of every player that has a tough year or two.

Hats off to you dirtdog for admitting you were wrong. Because you and every other fan who ripped Lackey was way out of line. It was obvious to me that this guy was not right ( I was not surprised to hear that he had an arm issue ) and that he was trying to play through pain , so as not to be percieved as a quitter. The guy did is best, he just made a bad decision trying to play with arm pain, instead of getting it fixed before it got too serious.

I always liked this guy, and was quite sure the media was not as understanding as they should've been...but then when has the Boston media ever been UNDERSTANDING?

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I didnt like the deal because his numbers were trending down. Most pitchers with his problems, its usually an injury. Although I didnt agree with the signing, I never bashed him like some here did.

His struggles didnt surprise me at all. But, after putting myself in his position the best I could, I realized that I probably would have had a bit of an attitude too. If my arm was hurting, and being a very competetive person, couldnt perform at my best, Id be very frustrated. Add to that his wife dealing with cancer and having to go through a divorce at the same time while the media is questioning him about it, all while pitching poorly. Thats a lot for any man to go through.

The year off was a blessing for him. Its good to see the old Lackey back with all the physical and personal issues behind him hitting 93-95 on the gun with great secondary pitching working to perfection.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Up until Zilla spoke up I thought I was going to be the only one here supporting John Lackey. 

You may or may not like what he's done in Boston but he came here through a plan from the FO.  Every time the Sox needed a TOR pitcher they went after one of the top two best available and got their man.

2004- Curt Schilling

2005 - Mattt Clement (It didn't work out but it looked like he was the best available that year)

2006-Josh Beckett

2007 - Dice K (See Matt Clement, above)

2008 & 2009 - with a rotation of Schilling, Beckett, Lester, Buck, Wake, etc, etc, and high hopes for Dice K the Sox opted to not pursue pitching

2010 - John Lackey.  Whether you like it or not, Lackey was the best available pitcher for the 2010 season.  He was admittedly the homliest pup in an ugly litter than year, but he was the best there was, and the Sox got him. 

Since then we've learned that he may have been "damaged goods' when the Sox got him but he gutted it out through 2+ seasons of pain and personal issues before everyone finally realized that things couldn't go on the way they were and he had TJ surgery.

And if you're looking for another reason to NOT rip him, he also signed a contract which required him to pitch another year for the Sox at the ML minimum due to his surgery.  How many players do THAT?? 

Lighten up a little, guys.  He's had the surgery and worked himself back into being a #1 or #2 pitcher. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Posters on this board tend to follow the Pied Piper of the media and rip every player that goes through a bad streak or stretch. This was done with Lugo, Lackey , Lester, Pedroia, Crawford and numerous lesser situations.

MLB baseball is not as easy as the talented ones make it look. Yes, they are way over paid. If I could do it , and if you could do it, we would be foolish to be sitting here critical of every player that has a tough year or two.

Hats off to you dirtdog for admitting you were wrong. Because you and every other fan who ripped Lackey was way out of line. It was obvious to me that this guy was not right ( I was not surprised to hear that he had an arm issue ) and that he was trying to play through pain , so as not to be percieved as a quitter. The guy did is best, he just made a bad decision trying to play with arm pain, instead of getting it fixed before it got too serious.

I always liked this guy, and was quite sure the media was not as understanding as they should've been...but then when has the Boston media ever been UNDERSTANDING?

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

Hey :)   I take full responsibility for MY opinions, and never base them on what the Boston Sports media is saying.  Especially talk radio.

I think you give way to much credit to the media!  In Boston, it's the eternal horse vs. the cart question.  Do we follow the media, or does the media reflect Boston sentiments.

To me.....   the answer is obvious!

WE (Bostonians) come from a LONG LINE of over-reactors!  We're hard core Irish, Italian, Poles, Puerto Rican, etc.......    We have BIG & STRONG personalities, and we NEVER shy away from an argument!  WE LOVE IT!  Add our insane passion for the greatest team on the planet, and you have a situation ripe for total over-reaction.  We do it!  We love it!  We flip out over the smallest things, but conversely have the BEST PASSION and the MOST baseball knowledge on the planet.  We're wicked smaat & we know it!  F you all if you don't like it. ;)   REAL Bostonians will also admit being wrong.  It doesn't threaten our manhood, as it does Stiffy & a few others.

God I love this game!  God I love this TEAM!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I never liked the original deal, & bashed John relentlessly for it.  Not fair, but it was what it was.

So far this year, he's completely redeemed himself!!!!  You can see it in his SHAPE, ATTITUDE, CONDITIONING!  I will never apologize for bashing these faults he let himself slip on.  He may have been injured, but he didn't do what he should have been doing.  Stay the FFFF in shape, work out, stay strong, etc......  

Now, he's clearly busting his arssss, with a whole new GREAT attitude!  No question!  I will love him forever!

Unless he ffff's up again ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

As Seinfeld said, "Beckett is the new NEWMAN!!!!!!"   ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

12 games

.302 ERA

Unbelievable!!!! 

is it fair to ask if beckett was holding  him back

[/QUOTE]

:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Stop the nonsense!  It is & always was ALL Beckett's fault.

I plan to forgive Beckett upon retirement :)

Then, I will forgive & love him forever.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Look -- in 2010, Lackey wasn't as bad as people think. He would have had more wins with better run support, and his ERA was under 4.00 in the second half of the season. His overall ERA was high in large part because when he was off early in the year, he was really off. He had only two fewer good starts (the way I classify good starts, which is more stringent than the official QS).

In 2011, he pitched with a bad elbow -- probably should have shut it down them -- and in retrospect should have gotten more credit for that, and was dealing with personal problems. When he came to camp in looking as in shape as he was, fans IMO should have kept an open mind and given him a second chance. It was obvious in 2011 he didn't handle things as well as he might have, but that just makes him human.

The way his teammates seemed to go out of their way to defend him, which was IMO beyond the normal teammate support, and he didn't have a reputation of being a bad seed in L.A., that should have been enough for fans to give him the benefit of doubt.

I don't understand why there still are fans who hold a grudge. Isn't that what we want with players -- that when they make mistakes or suk, that they work hard and get better and redeem themselves.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I didnt like the deal because his numbers were trending down. Most pitchers with his problems, its usually an injury. Although I didnt agree with the signing, I never bashed him like some here did.

His struggles didnt surprise me at all. But, after putting myself in his position the best I could, I realized that I probably would have had a bit of an attitude too. If my arm was hurting, and being a very competetive person, couldnt perform at my best, Id be very frustrated. Add to that his wife dealing with cancer and having to go through a divorce at the same time while the media is questioning him about it, all while pitching poorly. Thats a lot for any man to go through.

The year off was a blessing for him. Its good to see the old Lackey back with all the physical and personal issues behind him hitting 93-95 on the gun with great secondary pitching working to perfection.

In the end the Red Sox signed the guy knowing he had elbow issues. In 2010 his first with the club he took the ball every 5 days and pitched the entire season with diminished stuff...then in 2011 finally succumbed to the injury, had surgery, worked his  azz off, come back strong. In both seasons he gave it everything he had...the problem was that we the fans expected more given the terms of his contract and his resume with the Angels. In fairness to him, it's not his fault that Epstein and the Red Sox ownership through caution to the wind and wasted 30 million signing a player that had a pre-existing condition. One that was so serious, that his original team didn't even offer him a contract...Lackey was the poster boy for the disfiuction that was our front office and he and the extension that was given to Beckett in hindsight both were symptoms of the bigger problem...thankfully those days are behind us (I hope so). Moving forward Lackey has the opportunity to change the way he's perceived and my guess is he's highly motivated to do so. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I didn't have a problem with the Lackey signing, outside of it being too long, as most contracts over 4 years are.  At least the FO put a medical provision into it.

I also have always felt that the negative perception of him was overblown and unfair.  For all the talk about his poor attitude, etc.,  as far as I know, his teammates and manager have always spoken highly of him as being a great competitor and a great teammate.

Good for him for working hard and getting back to the point that he is right now.  I hope he can continue to pitch as well as he has recently.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I didn't have a problem with the Lackey signing, outside of it being too long, as most contracts over 4 years are.  At least the FO put a medical provision into it.

I also have always felt that the negative perception of him was overblown and unfair.  For all the talk about his poor attitude, etc.,  as far as I know, his teammates and manager have always spoken highly of him as being a great competitor and a great teammate.

Good for him for working hard and getting back to the point that he is right now.  I hope he can continue to pitch as well as he has recently.

I take it all back!  I've always been right about everything!

;)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I was wrong about Lackey on several occasions. I love him proving me wrong, and I love his attitude right now. If the Sox make the playoffs this year, Lackey looks to be a major reason why. Given Lester's mental dramas and Buch's injuries, Lackey is shaping up as our best pitcher.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

I was wrong about Lackey on several occasions. I love him proving me wrong, and I love his attitude right now. If the Sox make the playoffs this year, Lackey looks to be a major reason why. Given Lester's mental dramas and Buch's injuries, Lackey is shaping up as our best pitcher.

Wow wow wow wow wow wow!

I love what Lackey is doing, but if he's shaping up to be our best pitcher, we're in seriously deep do doo!

Pray Buch can get healthy QUICKLY!

Love your sentiment, but let's put the brakes on the irrational exuberance.  Leave that to Bernanke & the rest of the clowns on Wall Street!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

He did stink, and most of us thought he would continue to do so.  But very obviously Tommy John surgery, the year and a half off, and his own determination to get into great shape have brought him back to being the pitcher the Sox thought they signed.  Almost nobody on this board was saying in spring training or earlier that Lackey would make a great comeback this year. 

You are right.  I had hoped that Lackey would have a great season this year and so far it lookes like the tommy john surgery really helped him.  The Red Sox really need him to continue to have a good season.  He is definitely in great shape which also helped him.