Lackey vs. the A’s

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Lackey vs. the A’s

In his entire career, Lackey has pitched against the A’s 31 Games with 202 IP, more innings pitched than any other team he’s faced. With a 17-5 W/L record, his highest win total against any one team, sporting a 2.90 ERA, which is his best ERA versus any American League opponent. Career @ Oakland, he’s 8-4 with 2.90 ERA and .667 Winning percentage. Last year, he went 1-1, with a 4.85 ERA and averaged 5 SO against them overall. 

I’m hoping for at least 5 runs from the Sox tomorrow night. The pitching seems to be on the right track as of late. Ideally, if Lackey can hold them to 3 runs over 7 innings and maybe the BP gives up a solo shot or something, Sox win 5-4.

It's as easy as that, right?

ahem! ... Right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Lackey vs. the A’s

In Response to Lackey vs. the A’s:
    [QUOTE]In his entire career, Lackey has pitched against the A’s 31 Games with 202 IP, more innings pitched than any other team he’s faced. With a 17-5 W/L record, his highest win total against any one team, sporting a 2.90 ERA, which is his best ERA versus any American League opponent. Career @ Oakland, he’s 8-4 with 2.90 ERA and .667 Winning percentage. Last year, he went 1-1, with a 4.85 ERA and averaged 5 SO against them overall.   I’m hoping for at least 5 runs from the Sox tomorrow night. The pitching seems to be on the right track as of late. Ideally, if Lackey can hold them to 3 runs over 7 innings and maybe the BP gives up a solo shot or something, Sox win 5-4. It's as easy as that, right? ahem! ... Right?
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]

Based on Lackey's previous performance against the A's as well as being a fly ball pitcher in a very pitcher friendly park, I'm expecting big things from Lackey tomorrow (7IP 2ER, or at least close to that).  The Sox face a tough lefty in Brett Anderson tomorrow, it should be fun to watch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'm not sure which writer it was, but I'm pretty sure it was Massarotti.  He used Francona's skipping Lackey's start so that Lackey could face the As as a sign that Lackey was a bust and Francona was pretty much admitting so.  But looking at what you just wrote, it makes perfect sense to do what Francona did.

You want to get a pitcher back on track, and you have an opportunity to pit him against the opponent he has historically done the best against.  Why wouldn't you do it?  Matsuzaka came through, and hopefully Lackey will too, and the team goes on a real roll with all their starters clicking and the offense beginning to click, too. 

But will anyone give credit to Francona for the genius of this move?  Or will it only be that Francona did it because he had to protect Lackey; a horrible pitcher on a bloated contract (according to Massarotti)?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I wonder if Young has any easy answers for this series. Farrell didn't have any for his Jays, evidently.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

all these stats doesn't mean squat. This guy isn't pitching like a major league pitcher right now. I hope he can take a page out of Dike-K's book and throw a decent game.

In Response to Lackey vs. the A’s:
    [QUOTE]In his entire career, Lackey has pitched against the A’s 31 Games with 202 IP, more innings pitched than any other team he’s faced. With a 17-5 W/L record, his highest win total against any one team, sporting a 2.90 ERA, which is his best ERA versus any American League opponent. Career @ Oakland, he’s 8-4 with 2.90 ERA and .667 Winning percentage. Last year, he went 1-1, with a 4.85 ERA and averaged 5 SO against them overall.   I’m hoping for at least 5 runs from the Sox tomorrow night. The pitching seems to be on the right track as of late. Ideally, if Lackey can hold them to 3 runs over 7 innings and maybe the BP gives up a solo shot or something, Sox win 5-4. It's as easy as that, right? ahem! ... Right?
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's the smart move.  Now it's up to Lackey to execute and deliver.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

actually holding him back was a good move. He will be on the road with less pressure than at fenway. Let's hope he can keep the sox in the game.

In Response to Re: Lackey vs. the A’s:
    [QUOTE]It's the smart move.  Now it's up to Lackey to execute and deliver.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]all these stats doesn't mean squat. This guy isn't pitching like a major league pitcher right now. I hope he can take a page out of Dike-K's book and throw a decent game. In Response to Lackey vs. the A’s :
    Posted by REDSOX-11[/QUOTE]

LOL, 7IP 1H 1BB 0R is now only a decent game..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, that's what I meant - it's a smart move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure which writer it was, but I'm pretty sure it was Massarotti.  He used Francona's skipping Lackey's start so that Lackey could face the As as a sign that Lackey was a bust and Francona was pretty much admitting so.  But looking at what you just wrote, it makes perfect sense to do what Francona did. You want to get a pitcher back on track, and you have an opportunity to pit him against the opponent he has historically done the best against.  Why wouldn't you do it?  Matsuzaka came through, and hopefully Lackey will too, and the team goes on a real roll with all their starters clicking and the offense beginning to click, too.  But will anyone give credit to Francona for the genius of this move?  Or will it only be that Francona did it because he had to protect Lackey; a horrible pitcher on a bloated contract (according to Massarotti)?
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was Massarotti. I thought it was kind of a weird interpretation at the time too. The same day Mass posted that article Abraham posted a conversation with Francona in which he said there were 2 reasons for it.
    1. so as not to throw the whole staff's schedule off
    2. Lackey's pitched well in Oakland
    Then Massarotti comes out with an article saying they're skipping Lackey because they don't believe in him. Just seemed like he was stirring the pot, kinda cheap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Great insight from Mazz...boy he really had to dig deep to come up with an angle like that.  I think he might even look at box scores sometimes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

The historical aspect to pitching against the A's means little, as lineups fluctuate from season to season, but the effect the park has on hitting does mean that Lackey might tend to fare better there. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lackey vs. the A’s : Yes, but he would not have pitched in Anaheim, where he's done pretty well in his career.  Also, he would have faced Toronto (8.61 ERA last year) instead of Dice-K (2-0 3.71).  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

What are you trying to imply, that Red Sox management actually puts some research and good judgment into these things? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Lackey has earned low expectations. If he goes 6 innings and holds the small A's to 4 runs, that will be marginal but accetable pitching for a #4 starter. Lackey was given a contract to be a #1 or #2 starter. I won't be expecting that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It's time for Lackey to pick it up as well.

I think Lackey will pitch six innings and give up three runs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lackey has earned low expectations. If he goes 6 innings and holds the small A's to 4 runs, that will be marginal but accetable pitching for a #4 starter. Lackey was given a contract to be a #1 or #2 starter. I won't be expecting that.

Funny how when Wake goes 6 and allows 3 as a 5th starter, you put quality starts down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Most of Lackey's success has come in the Mild Mild West, pre the Rangers becoming a powerhouse. The pitcher's parks, Seattle, Oakland and Anaheim. He never had good numbers against the Sox , the Yankees or any good hitting line up.

To me it was strange signing the guy for big bucks in the first place. He pitched in about 20 games a year in Anaheim another 4 or 5 starts in Seattle and Oakland. That's 24 or 25 of his starts in Pitchers parks. On top of that he is a fly Ball pitcher. Not good in Fenway, unless you can get them to hit to straight away center or right center. 

If the Sox bats come to life like they are at the moment, Lackey will be adequate. just don't expect him to be on the right side of a 4-3 decision.

On another subject. Dice K after todays performance . May have given him some trade value. It won't last , they should look at making a deal when the iron is hot, hope he has a few more good outings, then they could get someone who could help.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

And who is taking Dice-K's turn in the rotation after such a trade?  Doubront?  Wakefield?  Bowden?  It's not going to be Tazawa, nor is Miller ready.  Dice-K certainly improved his value today, but he improved his value to the team he pitches for far more than he did as trade bait...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox on Tuesday face 23-year-old Oakland lefthander Brett Anderson, who is 3-1 with a 2.61 ERA in five lifetime starts against the Sox. In 31 career innings, Anderson has held the Sox to a .205 batting average with 28 strikeouts.

For Wednesday's game in Oakland, the Red Sox have slotted righthander Clay Buchholz, who posted an ERA of 18.00 in two starts at Oakland last season. The Athletics hit .423 against Buchholz, who surrendered 10 earned runs in a combined five innings.

Of course, neither of these samples is as large as the sample for John Lackey against the A's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

The A's pitching has been GREAT so far this year they have 6 young talented pitchers and facing Anderson and Geo back to back on a no rest trip to Cali is going to be VERY difficult ...........that being said the flip side is the A's dont hit AT ALL so if we can play SMART baseball and score 3 runs in either game we should have a good shot a taking two and getting out of that HORRIBLE city!!!!!!!!!!

A example would be JD leads off today with a triple and we don't score him until a 2 out hit .....that cant happen ......play smart do the things that your supposed to do to score runs and we should be fine against the A's

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Most of Lackey's success has come in the Mild Mild West, pre the Rangers becoming a powerhouse. The pitcher's parks, Seattle, Oakland and Anaheim. He never had good numbers against the Sox , the Yankees or any good hitting line up. To me it was strange signing the guy for big bucks in the first place. He pitched in about 20 games a year in Anaheim another 4 or 5 starts in Seattle and Oakland. That's 24 or 25 of his starts in Pitchers parks. On top of that he is a fly Ball pitcher. Not good in Fenway, unless you can get them to hit to straight away center or right center.  If the Sox bats come to life like they are at the moment, Lackey will be adequate. just don't expect him to be on the right side of a 4-3 decision. On another subject. Dice K after todays performance . May have given him some trade value. It won't last , they should look at making a deal when the iron is hot, hope he has a few more good outings, then they could get someone who could help.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

Lackey's pitched 113 games in LAA, at least one of which was last year with Boston, so 112 starts with LAA at home.  He spent 8 years with the Angels, giving him about 14 home starts a year while on the Angels.  If we're to use your 4-5 start number of other starts at OAK and SEA, then we're looking at 18-20 starts per year in AL West Pitcher friendly parks.  While I get your point, you're padding you numbers a bit.

As for not expecting him to be on the right side of a 4-3 decision, why not?  You're talking about a guy who lead the team in appearances in which he went 6+ innings while allowing 3 or fewer runs.  While the ERA might not have been pretty compared to his contract, there was a relatively low standard deviation for his outings, which happened to favor him not blowing games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure which writer it was, but I'm pretty sure it was Massarotti.  He used Francona's skipping Lackey's start so that Lackey could face the As as a sign that Lackey was a bust and Francona was pretty much admitting so.  But looking at what you just wrote, it makes perfect sense to do what Francona did. You want to get a pitcher back on track, and you have an opportunity to pit him against the opponent he has historically done the best against.  Why wouldn't you do it?  Matsuzaka came through, and hopefully Lackey will too, and the team goes on a real roll with all their starters clicking and the offense beginning to click, too.  But will anyone give credit to Francona for the genius of this move?  Or will it only be that Francona did it because he had to protect Lackey; a horrible pitcher on a bloated contract (according to Massarotti)?
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I'll give tito credit for pushing lackey back so he could face the A's. the way the whole situation worked out to me he looks like a genius setting lackey up to pitch in a park where he has had positive success. Plus, the extra days of rest certainly can't hurt. me thinks that lackey is gonna have a good outing tonight and the boys will back him with some good hitting.  what ever they do, don't touch jed lowrie cause they'll get burned...........talk about on fire eh fellahs???

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]Sometimes I think we read too much into stats...part of lackey's problem last year was that our middle relief was horrible, thus he pitched and gave up some big innings when he would otherwise have been pulled. New flash he wasn't signed to be a #1 or #2 he was signed to be part of a solid rotation slotted behind Lester and Beckett...While he is being paid well 16M is not #1 moneys....if healthy by years end if he gives us 200 innings and post a 4.5 ERA we'll win more than our share of his starts...2 starts do not make a season...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I just posted the stats to have a frame of reference to the discussion and to keep the trolls away. Shh, don't tell anyone. Yeah, Lackey is definitely an innings eater and the rotation itself has a lot of potential. True, last year he left a lot of runners on base and got charged with them because our bullpen was horrible. Maybe that doesn't happen this year soo much. One thing about Lackey that I like is that he's not a frail guy. He's physically solid which might prove a seperate worth when talking about his long term contract.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I fully expect Lackey to give up 6 runs.  I just hope the Sox bats will come further out of the dark for 7 runs.