Lackey's Great Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Lackey's Great Game

What a great night for Lackey. Must feel terrific to be able to redeem yourself in this spectacular way. Loved all the Lackey chants. So happy for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Lackey's Great Game

Kim Lackey's story is an amazing story of redemption. I am so proud of him. He re-dedicated himself and he earned this and I am so happy for him, the chants from the crowd were wonderful to hear. 

If I get a jersey from this year's team, it will be a Lackey jersey. He fought back and I will never say an ill word about him again - ever.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kim Lackey's story is an amazing story of redemption. I am so proud of him. He re-dedicated himself and he earned this and I am so happy for him, the chants from the crowd were wonderful to hear. 

If I get a jersey from this year's team, it will be a Lackey jersey. He fought back and I will never say an ill word about him again - ever.

[/QUOTE]

He also got key outs when he needed to. In other words, when the pressure was on. Thanks to the defense as well. These guys have been amazing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

What a great night for Lackey. Must feel terrific to be able to redeem yourself in this spectacular way. Loved all the Lackey chants. So happy for him.

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, he's coming back.

[/QUOTE]

He better be coming back. Smile

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Oh, and loved Lester coming over and hugging him during the interview. He couldn't be happier for Lackey as well. A really emotional moment. Glad it was captured.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I may be the only one, but I don't remember ever hearing Lackey interviewed before. I think it's kinda cute that he seems ill at ease. Just goes to show, no matter how he's been portrayed, he's probably just a humble guy. He does take his job very seriously, which may account for people portraying him as having a bad attitude toward teammates. Everyone on the team has always maintained that he's not that way at all, and is a great teammate and clubhouse guy.

This guy has clearly been misunderstood. Again, so happy for him tonight.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

He didn't have his best stuff but he made the pitches he needed to make when he needed to make them. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

I may be the only one, but I don't remember ever hearing Lackey interviewed before. I think it's kinda cute that he seems ill at ease. Just goes to show, no matter how he's been portrayed, he's probably just a humble guy. He does take his job very seriously, which may account for people portraying him as having a bad attitude toward teammates. Everyone on the team has always maintained that he's not that way at all, and is a great teammate and clubhouse guy.

[/QUOTE]

Kim,

Lackey's a gamer and always has been. The guy on the mound tonight was exactly what Epstein envisioned when he signed him. A bulldog who wants the ball when the lights are thier brightest. evidenced by his determination to stay in the game last night to face Holiday with runners on the corners after giving up three straight hits and losing his shut out..Stating emphatically "This is my guy" when Farrel came put to pull him. When he signed with us in 2010 he came with a chronic elbow issue that was such that the Angels didn't even give him a qualifying offer. A condition that was serious enough the Red Sox wrote  a clause in his contract protecting themselves in case he needed seasoning ending surgery. One he gladly accepted and agreed to sign which will keep in in our uniform through the 2015 season. 

Percption is reality and given the expectation that most had when he signed with us and the subsequent struggles he and the team had in the next two seasons, he didn't do himself any favors in winning over the fan base, due to  his subpar perfromances nor did he help himself with the perception that he was one of the "fat cats". Lost on many of his detractors was the season before and after signing with us he tried to pitch with diminished stuff due to his elbow which robbed him of the late life on his fastball, top end velocity and his best pitch the sharp breaking curveball.  After finally succumbing to the pain late in the 2011 season. Had Tommy John spent all of 2012 rehabbing his elbow and almost as important rededicated himself to getting in the best shape he's been in since breaking in with the Angels in 2002. 

Today when he finally wakes up after what I am sure was a long night of celebration, he wil do so as a champion. Next spring when camp opens due to his contribution to the success of the 2013 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox Baseball Club of the American League he will dawn his uniform, take the field standing tall and now and forever be held in the same regard as all past champions of Bosotn Sports lore. can't wait til next year and the opening game ring ceremony. as Gomes said last night...the museum will be load...one of the loudest cheers should be for Lackey who along with Lester is chiefly responsible for why we'll get another parade and a World Series flag to hang from the rafters.... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh, and loved Lester coming over and hugging him during the interview. He couldn't be happier for Lackey as well. A really emotional moment. Glad it was captured.

[/QUOTE]

That was a nice moment.

And that was the first time I ever heard him interviewed.  Odd that someone that neither of us heard interviewed, had been scorned by so many that thought he had a bad attitude and was a problem.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Clutch pitching by Lackey!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he is coming back cuz his contract is still good for two more years.  Dempster is the one I hope he is not coming back!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's signed for 2 more years, the second for the league minimum.  So the Sox have him for 8 mil per.  Not bad for a #3 starter

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I know it's asking too much, but maybe some fans will remember this year, the next time they feel to need ride a player for having a bad stretch.

Gamers like Ortiz, Lester, Lackey and Ellsbury deserve better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

My despise for Lackey is at an all time low.  dare i say it....I almost like the man.

It trended towards "like" the moment pedey booted the ball and Lackey didn't show him up.

He has been notorious for showing up his fielders.  Call it "fiery" or "competitive" if you want.  But it's wrong and for years I hated him for doing it.

Last night, I tipped my cap to Mr. Lackey.  He was an integral part of bringing a Worlds Championship to my beloved Red Sox.

Thank you John.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

HUGE redeption for Lester and Lackey. I thought "Fried Chicken and Beer-gate" was the most juiced up crock in the history of Boston sports writing. 
    The guys arm was hanging by a thread and he never said a word except to say he needed to pitch better. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was a nice moment.

And that was the first time I ever heard him interviewed.  Odd that someone that neither of us heard interviewed, had been scorned by so many that thought he had a bad attitude and was a problem.

[/QUOTE]

Totally.  But, this lack of exposure to him as a person certainly explains the great divide between the public at large who saw as a show-up-you-teammates, whiny malcontent -  and his teammates and coaches who have, to a man, always said he is one of the best guys, best teammates and best clubhouse presences around.

I think we now know the real John Lackey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Lackey's tip of his cap to the fans at Fenway has to be one of my favorite images from this season now, knowing where he has come from and all he has been through. Great moment, a great performance, and a great season on his part.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Special moment when you could see him say "That's my guy". To do that when you're up at about 100 pitches in high-30's weather, to the #3 hitter, that's a competitor. Even though he ended up walking him, that was impressive as hell.

Congrats to the Sox, and more specifically Lackey and Lester. Those guys pitched their a**es off. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kim,

Lackey's a gamer and always has been. The guy on the mound tonight was exactly what Epstein envisioned when he signed him. A bulldog who wants the ball when the lights are thier brightest. evidenced by his determination to stay in the game last night to face Holiday with runners on the corners after giving up three straight hits and losing his shut out..Stating emphatically "This is my guy" when Farrel came put to pull him. When he signed with us in 2010 he came with a chronic elbow issue that was such that the Angels didn't even give him a qualifying offer. A condition that was serious enough the Red Sox wrote  a clause in his contract protecting themselves in case he needed seasoning ending surgery. One he gladly accepted and agreed to sign which will keep in in our uniform through the 2015 season. 

Percption is reality and given the expectation that most had when he signed with us and the subsequent struggles he and the team had in the next two seasons, he didn't do himself any favors in winning over the fan base, due to  his subpar perfromances nor did he help himself with the perception that he was one of the "fat cats". Lost on many of his detractors was the season before and after signing with us he tried to pitch with diminished stuff due to his elbow which robbed him of the late life on his fastball, top end velocity and his best pitch the sharp breaking curveball.  After finally succumbing to the pain late in the 2011 season. Had Tommy John spent all of 2012 rehabbing his elbow and almost as important rededicated himself to getting in the best shape he's been in since breaking in with the Angels in 2002. 

Today when he finally wakes up after what I am sure was a long night of celebration, he wil do so as a champion. Next spring when camp opens due to his contribution to the success of the 2013 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox Baseball Club of the American League he will dawn his uniform, take the field standing tall and now and forever be held in the same regard as all past champions of Bosotn Sports lore. can't wait til next year and the opening game ring ceremony. as Gomes said last night...the museum will be load...one of the loudest cheers should be for Lackey who along with Lester is chiefly responsible for why we'll get another parade and a World Series flag to hang from the rafters.... 

[/QUOTE]

Beautiful post, Bean. Well said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was a nice moment.

[/QUOTE]

Funny isn't it? I'll never understand why guys who aren't necessarily press friendly or may even feel more shy/awkward talking about themselves are just given a negative reputation. It's sad because they're the least likely to defend themselves. I'm so glad he gave that interview. It certainly sheds new light on John Lackey, and that's a good thing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Even at his lowest pt with the Sox i always wanted him to do well.  He wanted to come to Boston. I think he was an unsung hero all year.  His pitching in the post season especially against verlander in game 3 was just nasty.  He was every bit the ace lester was.  he was dominant.  He is now a boston legend.  All the other stuff was media driven.   even after they won last night the media was needling him.  He is a champion. He is a warrior who battled.  He was awesome.  i tip my cap to him.  Well deserved.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HUGE redeption for Lester and Lackey. I thought "Fried Chicken and Beer-gate" was the most juiced up crock in the history of Boston sports writing. 
    The guys arm was hanging by a thread and he never said a word except to say he needed to pitch better

[/QUOTE]

Lackey said, "I need to pitch better," and it was reported as, "I need a pitcher of beer."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even at his lowest pt with the Sox i always wanted him to do well.  He wanted to come to Boston. I think he was an unsung hero all year.  His pitching in the post season especially against verlander in game 3 was just nasty.  He was every bit the ace lester was.  he was dominant.  He is now a boston legend.  All the other stuff was media driven.   even after they won last night the media was needling him.  He is a champion. He is a warrior who battled.  He was awesome.  i tip my cap to him.  Well deserved.  

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I completely agree.