LaRouche for Kotchman Trade....why???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

LaRouche for Kotchman Trade....why???

I guess i could google it and get some answer but Im more interested in the varied opinions on BDC....

Adam was sent packing after a short stint....we traded two players fro him if i recall and he was hitting the cover off the ball....

but...

he was sent packing....I recall one game where it seemed that he was not liked/accepted by his new teammates...i forget the play or the game but i remember thinking the reaction to him was odd (because it was a hit i believe)...anyways the memory grows fuzzy.....it was obvious to me that he didnt fit well with the team....anyone else have more details or facts? 

and if that was indeed the case, what about his future prospects?

good stuff!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: LaRouche for Kotchman Trade....why???

ty ben...now go back and finish your nap with your Lillibridge doll

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

to make whiners like you, ghost and allbike go crazy

[/QUOTE]

Ben, the whole whiners thing is getting a bit old.  Any constructive comments to add?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That's one I never understood either. I guess maybe Theo thought we needed a better defender at 1B?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

to make whiners like you, ghost and allbike go crazy

[/QUOTE]

Im with Ben on this... what's the point in bringing this up? to what end?  Besides this poster has already said this on the other LaRoche thread.... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i see the mother hens are already out in force trying to smother another discussion...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's one I never understood either. I guess maybe Theo thought we needed a better defender at 1B?

[/QUOTE]

I was never quite clear on this either. I seem to remember that the rationale was that, with Youk at 1B and Lowell at 3B at the time, there was nowhere to play him, and Kotchman would be a better fit for a bench role, but that kind of begs the question of why trade for LaRoche in the first place. Theo got a pretty good player for basically nothing, then traded him away for basically nothing. I always found this odd and kind of a missed opportunity.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was never quite clear on this either. I seem to remember that the rationale was that, with Youk at 1B and Lowell at 3B at the time, there was nowhere to play him, and Kotchman would be a better fit for a bench role, but that kind of begs the question of why trade for LaRoche in the first place. Theo got a pretty good player for basically nothing, then traded him away for basically nothing. I always found this odd and kind of a missed opportunity.

[/QUOTE]

that pretty much sums it up

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I remember when we picked up LaRoche, I read up on him and I remember reading that he was considered a much better 2nd half than 1st half hitter. I was thinking at the time that we had picked up a nice bat for the stretch run. When Theo dumped him for Kotchman I was completely  mystified. I think Theo might have been losing his juju a little by then.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftymcrighty. Show Leftymcrighty's posts

Just a mystifying move then and in retrospect. Laroche is a plus fielder, so why pop gunner Kothchman?

Laroche hit a couple of homers in his short stay. He would have been cheaper at 1st base than Gonzalez. Irony is, he showed he could use the wall better in a couple of weeks, than AGon did in his whole stay here.

Remember when we were told that AGon would be worth 45-50 HRs going to left?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Laroche has a long swing and 2009 87 games Pitt he was slumping .770 (career .820).

Boston general manager Theo Epstein said Kotchman will be a good
    fit for a part-time role after the Red Sox acquired Victor
    Martinez, the All-Star slugger, from Cleveland on Friday.

"LaRoche did a nice job while he was here, Epstein said.œWith
    the addition of Victor Martinez, now there aren™t quite as many
    at-bats available.  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/228115-braves-send-kotchman-to-boston-for-adam-laroche

On trading Adam LaRoche: "LaRoche did a nice job while he was here, but we felt all along, the best fit for him is if he had to close to everyday at-bats, at least every day against righthanded pitching, while at first base. With the addition of Victor Martinez, there's not quite as many at-bats available at first base. I think with LaRoche's timing mechanism, swing -- and approach in general -- he needs to play to be productive. He needs to play every day or close to it, whereas Casey Kotchman has a little different approach at the plate, might play better in a little different type role. Kotchman is also an elite defender and might be somebody you see coming in late in games for defense on days when Victor Martinez starts at first base."

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Laroche wanted to play every day. He made that known.  They got rid of him.

That's pretty much it.  I recall being a bit perturbed by the fact that they got rid of the guy just because he complained.

Although maybe the complaining aspect of it was just my perception.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That was absolutely the weirdest sequence of moves Theo ever made IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

It was a trade that seemed to be made out of courtesy for the player. I remember being confused about it. Well... More confused than usual, that is. ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

who can forget

those fancy charts where they

had fenway overlapping petco field

[/QUOTE]

LOL I know...WTF happened to those charts anyway.  I guess they're overlapping Dodger Stadium now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Plus, I remember liking both players,  so I wasnt upset over it either. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

good find tom

[/QUOTE]

thanks Zac, 

i work in sports medicine and run into ex-patients all the time and i have no clue who they are...

but i remember inane Theo explanations for some unknown reason, i wish my brain was filled with more useful info, but.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

After we traded LaRoche to Atlanta that year he had a .957 OPS and 40 RBI in 57 games.  He's always been known as a second-half player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to emp9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was a trade that seemed to be made out of courtesy for the player. I remember being confused about it. Well... More confused than usual, that is. ;)

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  they got Laroche.  He was goiing to be a back up. He was sad.  So theo traded him for Kotchan who didn't mind being a back up.

It was odd.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Leftymcrighty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just a mystifying move then and in retrospect. Laroche is a plus fielder, so why pop gunner Kothchman?

Laroche hit a couple of homers in his short stay. He would have been cheaper at 1st base than Gonzalez. Irony is, he showed he could use the wall better in a couple of weeks, than AGon did in his whole stay here.

Remember when we were told that AGon would be worth 45-50 HRs going to left?

[/QUOTE]

I think somebody on here suggested 60 HR was not out of reach.

Ahh, the days of A-Gon hysteria...how short-lived they were.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

good posts...snake i forgot about him complaining....was that all to it? weird....but maybe theo already had his sights on Agon