LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........

I TOLD YOU SO.... "THE NEXT CARLTON FISK" !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........

In Response to LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........:
    [QUOTE]   I TOLD YOU SO.... "THE NEXT CARLTON FISK" !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Of course, what made Fisk Fisk was the fact that, along with having a nice stick, he was a heckuva catcher.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........:
    [QUOTE]In Response to LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........ : Of course, what made Fisk Fisk was the fact that, along with having a nice stick, he was a heckuva catcher.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE] RIGHT SPACEMAN .......  "LET ME BE CLEAR",  I SAW ENOUGH OF HIS CATCHING SKILLS LAST SEPTEMBER TO SEE WHAT I SAW ( A YOUNG FISK) .... ALSO, A YALE GRADUATE.....  RIGHT OUT OF THE GEORGE W'a WAY OF DOING THINGS !!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........ : RIGHT SPACEMAN .......  "LET ME BE CLEAR",  I SAW ENOUGH OF HIS CATCHING SKILLS LAST SEPTEMBER TO SEE WHAT I SAW ( A YOUNG FISK) .... ALSO, A YALE GRADUATE.....  RIGHT OUT OF THE GEORGE W'a WAY OF DOING THINGS !!!!

Hey, I hope you are right Bill 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Please don't start threads next for batting practice HRs. And from what I've seen, his defensive skills are closer to Montero than Fisk. You can spare the "development" tag too, 'cause Fisk & Bench were naturals from the get go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........ : Hey, I hope you are right Bill 
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Me too but also think it's too soon to say.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........ : Me too but also think it's too soon to say.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

No question.  And, though I thought he acquitted himself well for a cup-o-coffee rook in his minute behind the plate last year, I am not sure how he got "Fisk" from that. I believe Dad wouldn't agree with him on that one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........ : No question.  And, though I thought he acquitted himself well for a cup-o-coffee rook in his minute behind the plate last year, I am not sure how he got "Fisk" from that. I believe Dad wouldn't agree with him on that one.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Lava was an OF at Yale and converted to catcher in his senior year, when the catcher went down to injury. Word on the streets of New Haven is Lava volunteered. He like the position and decided to give it a go. Sox drafted him for his bat but if the defense kicks in, win/win

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I have seen a lot of Ryan Bill and totally agree.  The kid has the arm, bat and intelligence to become one of our best catchers ever.  Ryan needs a little more work behind the plate but he has what it takes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Did he call it like Babe? ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I hope he's the next Bench, forget Fisk.  ;-)

But the better the ST he has, the more likely a June callup is so the Sox have an extra year of control because the current platoon is adequate.  In other words, if Lav can hit better than Salty/Shop that's nice but hardly a priority...and it's pretty unlikely he'll field better than them for now, anyway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Please don't start threads next for batting practice HRs. And from what I've seen, his defensive skills are closer to Montero than Fisk. You can spare the "development" tag too, 'cause Fisk & Bench were naturals from the get go.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]THANK YOU  (NATURALS).......   "YOUR MAKING MY POINT"  !!!!Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]I hope he's the next Bench, forget Fisk.  ;-) But the better the ST he has, the more likely a June callup is so the Sox have an extra year of control because the current platoon is adequate.  In other words, if Lav can hit better than Salty/Shop that's nice but hardly a priority...and it's pretty unlikely he'll field better than them for now, anyway.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Good point. BobbyV is leaning towards an extra pitcher. Doubt he will carry three catchers...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........ : Lava was an OF at Yale and converted to catcher in his senior year, when the catcher went down to injury. Word on the streets of New Haven is Lava volunteered. He like the position and decided to give it a go. Sox drafted him for his bat but if the defense kicks in, win/win
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

He converted as sophomore and was drafted after his junior year.  More detail here.

Buster Posey basically did the same thing.  Was working out fairly well, I'd say, before the accident.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

could be Jake. going on what I was told by someone who was in the athletic dept at Yale when Lava was there. said he converted to catcher his last year and also said he graduated. he may have but didnt attend school. He did say the sox scouted him when he played in a collegiate summer league, good kid. I'll go out on a limb here and add smart, tooWink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Lava's defensive liabilities are overstated.

If you can get that bat into your lineup at the C position, it's worth it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN

Or we could trade the farm for Napoli :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........ : RIGHT SPACEMAN .......  "LET ME BE CLEAR",  I SAW ENOUGH OF HIS CATCHING SKILLS LAST SEPTEMBER TO SEE WHAT I SAW ( A YOUNG FISK) .... ALSO, A YALE GRADUATE.....  RIGHT OUT OF THE GEORGE W'a WAY OF DOING THINGS !!!!

Bill, you're wasted as an internet jockey if after watching a catcher on tv for only 26.2 innings enables you to identify him as a future HOFer!  That's amazing!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well since we are lauding Lavarnway for his home run lets not forget that Iggy singled in his first AB of the spring...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

After hearing Larvarnway hit a homer in a B game, I say he is the next Bench!!! If he hits just one more, he will probably be the best catcher ever.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It makes a lot of sense to slot him in AAA even if he is good enough to make the team after ST. Keep him in Pawtucket to get his bat warm and let him develop some more and bring him up just after we can squeeze that extre year out of him. That extra year might be worth 15-20 mil if we are lucky.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]could be Jake. going on what I was told by someone who was in the athletic dept at Yale when Lava was there. said he converted to catcher his last year and also said he graduated. he may have but didnt attend school. He did say the sox scouted him when he played in a collegiate summer league, good kid. I'll go out on a limb here and add smart, too
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I saw him play as a member of the Manchester (CT) Silkworms a couple of times.  In the NECBL, most of the players stay with host families, and he actually stayed with a family we know in town.  They couldn't say enough nice things about him, so it's good to see him getting a real chance with the Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........ : Bill, you're wasted as an internet jockey if after watching a catcher on tv for only 26.2 innings enables you to identify him as a future HOFer!  That's amazing!
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]THANK YOU..... JUST A GOOD EYE FOR TALENT !!!!  THIS KID WILL BREAK CAMP WITH THE SOX......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Ya had me until that last sentence Bill...George W?! Bah!! But anyhoo,  I've also written that I think this kid shows tremendous promise, and his intelligence will only serve to speed his progression to the bigs. His defense will lag his offense, as is to be expected, but I see him possibly becoming an A/B stick with C+/B- defense...nothing at all to sneeze at. I think by June he'll probably be the best catcher we have, though he may be left down to seaon till the All Star break. I still have no idea why they added Shoppach, Lavarnway should have been the back up until he forced himself into the starting line up. But I guess they didn't want to rush him. He's gonna be fun to watch! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Ya had me until that last sentence Bill...George W?! Bah!! But anyhoo,  I've also written that I think this kid shows tremendous promise, and his intelligence will only serve to speed his progression to the bigs. His defense will lag his offense, as is to be expected, but I see him possibly becoming an A/B stick with C+/B- defense...nothing at all to sneeze at. I think by June he'll probably be the best catcher we have, though he may be left down to seaon till the All Star break. I still have no idea why they added Shoppach, Lavarnway should have been the back up until he forced himself into the starting line up. But I guess they didn't want to rush him. He's gonna be fun to watch!  In Response to Re: LARVARNWAY HOMERS TODAY IN "B" GAME........ :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]BINGO !!!!   ANOTHER GOOD EYE FOR TALENT !!!!