Last night and this season--all about veterans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Last night and this season--all about veterans

If you don't see that is what defines this team, you are blind.  Farrell prefers veterans, period.   Gomes gets extra starts in LF precisely because he is more of a veteran than Nava.  Same for Napoli at 1B.   And Ortiz makes the other veterans look like kids.  The Sox are not an old team at all, but they do have a lot of experience.  Except at 3B where Middlebrooks and Bogaerts alternate.  And somewhat at C where Salty the younger gets a lot more starts than Ross the elder.  However, in the postseason Ross has now caught 5 games to Salty's 8, a higher proportion than during the regular season.  The rotation is all veterans except for Doubront, now in the bullpen.  The bullpen is mostly veterans except for Tazawa and Workman, and they are 27 and 25 years old.  Uehara the amazing closer is 38, older than Ortiz. 

But my real point is about the SS position, and it starts way back in the spring when Drew the veteran had the concussion and Iglesias the rookie and heir apparent to the SS position was hitting up a storm while fielding brilliantly.  Way back then Farrell announced that Drew was still his SS for this season.  After Drew came back, Iglesias went back to Pawtucket, but not for long because Middlebrooks wasn't hitting.  Back came Iglesias--as it turned out, for good--to play 3B and a little SS. 

When Ben C pulled the trigger on the Iggy-Peavy trade, there was a genuine sense of outrage among the RSN--me included--that the Sox had just lost a truly gifted SS.  Some did realize that Drew wasn't all that bad a SS and had started hitting. And that the Sox needed another starter to help get to the postseason. 

Very few realized that for the season and especially for the postseason Drew was a better defensive SS than any rookie, no matter how brilliant, because of his much greater experience.  Thus Jim Leyland decided several times during the postseason not to start Iglesias.  Thus Iglesias committed two costly errors, one leading to the winning run in game 2.  And thus now in the WS another rookie SS has made two errors in game 1 at Fenway.  Thus Farrell never considered replacing the veteran Drew with the rookie Bogaerts even though Drew has not hit well in the postseason.  But he has excelled at SS. 

Let me hasten to add this is all about this season.  The Sox right now have a lot of capable veterans who get along very well and certainly grow a lot of beards.  They have a real shot at winning the WS after a disastrous 2011 and 2012.  What happens in the offseason and next year is a whole different story. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Last night and this season--all about veterans

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you don't see that is what defines this team, you are blind.  Farrell prefers veterans, period.   Gomes gets extra starts in LF precisely because he is more of a veteran than Nava.  Same for Napoli at 1B.   And Ortiz makes the other veterans look like kids.  The Sox are not an old team at all, but they do have a lot of experience.  Except at 3B where Middlebrooks and Bogaerts alternate.  And somewhat at C where Salty the younger gets a lot more starts than Ross the elder.  However, in the postseason Ross has now caught 5 games to Salty's 8, a higher proportion than during the regular season.  The rotation is all veterans except for Doubront, now in the bullpen.  The bullpen is mostly veterans except for Tazawa and Workman, and they are 27 and 25 years old.  Uehara the amazing closer is 38, older than Ortiz. 

But my real point is about the SS position, and it starts way back in the spring when Drew the veteran had the concussion and Iglesias the rookie and heir apparent to the SS position was hitting up a storm while fielding brilliantly.  Way back then Farrell announced that Drew was still his SS for this season.  After Drew came back, Iglesias went back to Pawtucket, but not for long because Middlebrooks wasn't hitting.  Back came Iglesias--as it turned out, for good--to play 3B and a little SS. 

When Ben C pulled the trigger on the Iggy-Peavy trade, there was a genuine sense of outrage among the RSN--me included--that the Sox had just lost a truly gifted SS.  Some did realize that Drew wasn't all that bad a SS and had started hitting. And that the Sox needed another starter to help get to the postseason. 

Very few realized that for the season and especially for the postseason Drew was a better defensive SS than any rookie, no matter how brilliant, because of his much greater experience.  Thus Jim Leyland decided several times during the postseason not to start Iglesias.  Thus Iglesias committed two costly errors, one leading to the winning run in game 2.  And thus now in the WS another rookie SS has made two errors in game 1 at Fenway.  Thus Farrell never considered replacing the veteran Drew with the rookie Bogaerts even though Drew has not hit well in the postseason.  But he has excelled at SS. 

Let me hasten to add this is all about this season.  The Sox right now have a lot of capable veterans who get along very well and certainly grow a lot of beards.  They have a real shot at winning the WS after a disastrous 2011 and 2012.  What happens in the offseason and next year is a whole different story. 

[/QUOTE]

That's affirm Max! we had veterans on the field and we had veterans in the stands. and like I said earlier, that marine buck sgt who sang god bless america made me as a sox fan and a viet-nam combat veteran very proud to be an american. semper fi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Last night and this season--all about veterans

Yup.  Sorry Softy, this club is where they are because of "wily vets" who are "hard-nosed gamers".

Yes, Softy, I know these phrases are completely meaningless, but ... SCOREBOARD!