Laughing stock of major league baseball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Laughing stock of major league baseball

Are you kidding me--forget about it and stop making excuses for this group. The second highest payroll in baseball--a catching tandem that most college teams could field. A guy playing third that should be on the DL. A rightfielder  that swings like he ought to be retired, a leftfielder that needs to be DH'd for. A DH that shouldn't  be playing any longer. A CF'der playing for his next contract someplace.
    As I see it you've got three people playing the 8 fielding position that are dirt dogs playing baseball: AGon, Pedroia and Youk. The pitching is fine. You could replace the rest of the team, backups and starters, with AA and AAA and they would be as much of a threat as this group.
    Pressure--don't make that excuse for them. They don't know what pressure is. Are they president of the US, are they worried about feeding their families or are they  homeless; are they surgeons with the responsibility of saving someone's life, or a fireman or policeman or a member of the military that's been away from their family for a year. 
    NO THEY ARE BASEBALL PLAYERS--THAT'S ALL--THEY ARE JUST BASEBALL PLAYERS. 
    Hopefully they will start doing what got them to where they are today; they'll be playing like todays game is their last game or looking over their shoulders worried about someone taking their job.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball

It sounds like ... if it isn't all that important to you ... that you've learned how to role play just the opposite side of the fence.

I'd like to point out one little thing.  It's a tiny one.

Nobody in MLB is actually laughing at Boston with any of its problems right now.  Why?  Because very single player in the bigs knows about slumps, slow starts, injuries and the like.  They also know just how few of them actually get to make it to MLB ... and while they may have a lot of ego and bluster, only the slightest number of them think it was easy to get there, to stay there and to flourish there.

It's only mouthy sports writers, poor sport - and maybe ignorant - fans and the sort who are laughing.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I disagree with most of your post,the Sox are going to be fine.There's a whole lot of season left and this team is going to turn it around.Also,I wanted to let you know that the Red Sox have the 3rd highest payroll not the 2nd according to CBSsports.com. 

2011 Team Payrolls
    No.TeamPayroll 
    1.New York Yankees$201,689,030 
    2.Philadelphia Phillies$172,976,381 
    3.Boston Red Sox$161,407,476

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ljreiif. Show ljreiif's posts

In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball:
    [QUOTE] I disagree with most of your post,the Sox are going to be fine.There's a whole lot of season left and this team is going to turn it around.Also,I wanted to let you know that the Red Sox have the 3rd highest payroll not the 2nd according to CBSsports.com.  2011 Team Payrolls No. Team Payroll   1. New York Yankees $201,689,030   2. Philadelphia Phillies $172,976,381   3. Boston Red Sox $161,407,476
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ljreiif. Show ljreiif's posts

[QUOTE] I disagree with most of your post,the Sox are going to be fine.There's a whole lot of season left and this team is going to turn it around.Also,I wanted to let you know that the Red Sox have the 3rd highest payroll not the 2nd according to CBSsports.com.  2011 Team Payrolls No. Team Payroll   1. New York Yankees $201,689,030   2. Philadelphia Phillies $172,976,381   3. Boston Red Sox $161,407,476

That was pre Gonzo's contract Now they are firmly entrenched with the 2nd highest payroll barlely lower than the Yankees

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : That was pre Gonzo's contract Now they are firmly entrenched with the 2nd highest payroll barlely lower than the Yankees
    Posted by ljreiif[/QUOTE]

Those numbers are taking Gonzalez's pay into consideration.Gonzalez is getting 5.5 million for 2011.His new contract runs from 2012-2018.From 2012 -2016,he'll be getting 21 mil every year.In 2017 and 2018 his salary goes up to 21.5 mil.He also had a 6 mil signing bonus. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

I`1n Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball:

The same thing was said last yr. You can't assume they will b fine in this tough division.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

1/6th of the season is in the books.  That is a significant chunk of the season.

They are on pace to win 66 games.

Francona is going to get canned on or about May 15th.  I don't blame Francona - but it is going to happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It hasn't happened yet but this team could be out of the playoff race by Memorial Day Weekend.  At that point, they will be the laughing stock of baseball. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]1/6th of the season is in the books.  That is a significant chunk of the season. They are on pace to win 66 games. Francona is going to get canned on or about May 15th.  I don't blame Francona - but it is going to happen.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

By that rationale, the Indians will win 108 games, Ben Zobrist will drive in 150 runs, and Matt Holliday will bat .408. Think any of those will happen?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Lloyd - let's say the Sox turn things around.  Let's use their current record.

They are 11-15 today.  Let's assume that they haven't lost yet today although it's coming my friend.  Oh yeah, it's coming......Anyways, let's say they are really a team that is capable of playing 15-11 and they start playing that way TODAY (they won't, but let's visit the land of make-believe for momemt).

15-11 is a .578 clip

There are 136 games left.  136*.578 = 78 more wins.  Add that to the 11 wins they already have and that gets you 89 games.  An improvement of GOOSE EGG over last year despite spending 300 million of OUR money and once again, a season that will end long before October.

So if you want to modify the trend to get a more realistic prediction then I am with you 100%. 

Just to finish the math...let's once again assume that they don't get Swept by the pathetic M's today even with the might Wakefield on the hill (it's nice to vist the land of make-believe on Sunday morning isn't it?)...Let's also assume that it only takes 94 wins to make the Wild Card (the land of make believe stopped giving tours to the division when they played the first week of the season w/o recording a single win).....94 wins means they have to play at a 620 Clip for the rest of the season.  No more excuses.  No more long losing streaks.  No more mental errors.  No more 20 million dollar players with an OBP of under 200.  No injuries etc etc etc. 

Do you see that kind of turn around?  Let's put that in perspective.  a 620 clip would mean that at this point in time the Sox would actually be at 16-10 and not 11-15.  What shred of evidence would suggest that this team (which is really 11-16 now) could possibly have gone 16-10 in April? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

You would have hoped that 2004 would have taught the fans something but I guess too many have their heads stuck too deep in the sand -- or somewhere else -- that it's cutting off blood flow to the brain.

So the Sox went 11-15 in April. Big freakin' deal. In 2004, yes, the Sox went 15-6 in April. But the Sox went 11-14 in June and were just 41-40 for three consecutive months -- half the season -- from May through July.

And if you remember, the attitude of the fans back in July was the same as today. Nobody was giving the Sox any chance of making the playoffs. And in early July, the Sox were also 10.5 gams back and got within 2 late in September, making up 8.5 games. They lost last game of the season to finish 3 back but had already made the playoffs.

The point is -- and I can't believe how many fans don't understand this -- is the Sox can afford one bad month. They can even afford one bad month and two mediocre months. It's what they do the rest of the year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

Only problem the other 2 teams with high payrolls are in first place just like last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]You would have hoped that 2004 would have taught the fans something but I guess too many have their heads stuck too deep in the sand -- or somewhere else -- that it's cutting off blood flow to the brain. So the Sox went 11-15 in April. Big freakin' deal. In 2004, yes, the Sox went 15-6 in April. But the Sox went 11-14 in June and were just 41-40 for three consecutive months -- half the season -- from May through July. And if you remember, the attitude of the fans back in July was the same as today. Nobody was giving the Sox any chance of making the playoffs. And in early July, the Sox were also 10.5 gams back and got within 2 late in September, making up 8.5 games. They lost last game of the season to finish 3 back but had already made the playoffs. The point is -- and I can't believe how many fans don't understand this -- is the Sox can afford one bad month. They can even afford one bad month and two mediocre months. It's what they do the rest of the year.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Great post.Spot on!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

MrMojo - Are we really going to compare this team to 2004?

Pedro and Schilling....a stacked pen with 2 bona fide lefties.......David Ortiz and Manny Rameriz in their primes?  A great defensive SS?  A bottom of the order that could hit (featuring Billy Muellar).....A very deep bench including guys who could hit, field and run (Roberts, Mirabelli, Kapler, Reese, Minky, Youk)..A Right Fielder that cared more about winning then playing for his next contract?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Lloyd - let's say the Sox turn things around.  Let's use their current record. They are 11-15 today.  Let's assume that they haven't lost yet today although it's coming my friend.  Oh yeah, it's coming......Anyways, let's say they are really a team that is capable of playing 15-11 and they start playing that way TODAY (they won't, but let's visit the land of make-believe for momemt). 15-11 is a .578 clip There are 136 games left.  136*.578 = 78 more wins.  Add that to the 11 wins they already have and that gets you 89 games.  An improvement of GOOSE EGG over last year despite spending 300 million of OUR money and once again, a season that will end long before October. So if you want to modify the trend to get a more realistic prediction then I am with you 100%.  Just to finish the math...let's once again assume that they don't get Swept by the pathetic M's today even with the might Wakefield on the hill (it's nice to vist the land of make-believe on Sunday morning isn't it?)...Let's also assume that it only takes 94 wins to make the Wild Card (the land of make believe stopped giving tours to the division when they played the first week of the season w/o recording a single win).....94 wins means they have to play at a 620 Clip for the rest of the season.  No more excuses.  No more long losing streaks.  No more mental errors.  No more 20 million dollar players with an OBP of under 200.  No injuries etc etc etc.  Do you see that kind of turn around?  Let's put that in perspective.  a 620 clip would mean that at this point in time the Sox would actually be at 16-10 and not 11-15.  What shred of evidence would suggest that this team (which is really 11-16 now) could possibly have gone 16-10 in April? 
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    Mitch, first of all, I didn't say they would turn it around. Just saying there's still 84 percent of the season left and it's too late to shovel the dirt. But as I also said, if they're still playing like this on June 1 ...

They're 11-15. To get 95 wins, which generally makes the playoffs, they need to go 84-52 the rest of the way. That's .617 ball.

Can they do it? Of course. The starting pitching has been solid to excellent, and the bats will come around. The big key, to me, is middle relief, which for the most part has been shaky. Hopefully Okajima last night was a good sign.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not playing the role of Kevin Bacon in Animal House -- "Remain calm ... ALL IS WELL!!" I'm  just saying it's still to early to give up. I'm guessing that, however deep inside, you agree. After all, you're here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

Things are usually not as dire, nor are they as great as they may appear after the first month of the season.

First, look at the Wild Card math.  RS are 3.5 games behind after yesterday's games, and 5.0 behind the Division lead.  These are not insurmountable games to make up over the next five months.  The players have to play up to their potential.

Second, RS have a number of players who are hitting well below their career averages.  No one except pessimists and RS haters would expect that Pedroia, Youkilis, Ortiz, Crawford will not hit better.  Ellsbury seems to have sorted himself out.  Lowrie, even when he comes back to earth, will hit for respectable profuction.  Gonzalez will hit for more power; he's already hitting well.  Drew's OBP is quite respectable and is capable of improving upon SLG numbers.  Pitching has come around except for a couple of blown saves recently.

Overall, there is more room for optimism though it'll require patience on the part of fans who are inclined to throw themselves or some players or Francona off tall buildings after a few losses!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe----. Show -The-Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]It sounds like ... if it isn't all that important to you ... that you've learned how to role play just the opposite side of the fence. I'd like to point out one little thing.  It's a tiny one. Nobody in MLB is actually laughing at Boston with any of its problems right now.  Why?  Because very single player in the bigs knows about slumps, slow starts, injuries and the like.  They also know just how few of them actually get to make it to MLB ... and while they may have a lot of ego and bluster, only the slightest number of them think it was easy to get there, to stay there and to flourish there. It's only mouthy sports writers, poor sport - and maybe ignorant - fans and the sort who are laughing.    

Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Actually, they are laughing at the team and more importantly the rfn who claimed that this collection of misfits would go down as the greatest team of all time with 100+++ wins.

I have to say that I do enjoy laughing at the rfn.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

https://www.facebook.com/people/Andrew-Mitchell/1362870060

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Dobs - playing 620 ball will be very difficult for this team.  Let's say that most guys come around.  They still have a terrible pen outside of Pap.  They also have no depth in the rotation if one of the starters go down.  Theo put all of his eggs in the Crawford/Gonzo basket and Crawford is terrible with no signs of pulling out and Gonzo well, I never did understand the "left handed Manny thing"....I'll be happy if he hits like Billy Muellar did in 2003.......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

Andrew has a nice Facebook page. Big Yankee and Jeter fan I see.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGreatAnton7. Show TheGreatAnton7's posts

bx

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Dobs - playing 620 ball will be very difficult for this team.  Let's say that most guys come around.  They still have a terrible pen outside of Pap.  They also have no depth in the rotation if one of the starters go down.  Theo put all of his eggs in the Crawford/Gonzo basket and Crawford is terrible with no signs of pulling out and Gonzo well, I never did understand the "left handed Manny thing"....I'll be happy if he hits like Billy Muellar did in 2003.......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Name me the team that DOES have depth in the rotation if someone goes down.  Do the Phils have a Cy Young winner waiting to get the call if Cliff Lee goes down?  The Yanks?  Tampa?  This is just negativity for the sake of negativity, pure and simple.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Hey guys, they are 4 games out of 1st place.  DUH.   Now watch the games and try not to overthink everything.   This is a great team we have here.