Laughing stock of major league baseball

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball

In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball:
    [QUOTE]Hey guys, they are 4 games out of 1st place.  DUH.   Now watch the games and try not to overthink everything.   This is a great team we have here.  

Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

great teams usually aren't sub .500

and they are 5 back in the loss column.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball :   great teams usually aren't sub .500 and they are 5 back in the loss column.  
    Posted by Babe-1[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No question April was a tough month, but even back then the Sox took 4 of 4 at Anaheim when the Angels were very hot (won 8 of their previous 10 games). 

Early on, the hitting and pitching were awful.  Now the starters are looking pretty darn good, and the hitters are coming on (most of them, anyway).  The bullpen is a little unreliable, but not a disaster. 

"Laughing stock" was a little harsh, but, really, not that far off the mark. 

The tough part is that both the Yankees and the Rays are ahead of the Sox in the AL East--two pretty good team.  And Longoria has been reactivated. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball :   great teams usually aren't sub .500 and they are 5 back in the loss column.  
    Posted by Babe-1[/QUOTE]

oh babe.  i like you when you are either smart or funny in your provoacations.  But, sometimes, like here, you are just kinda, well, dull.  I thought the 2009 world champion Yankees were pretty darn good, dare say even great.  They were 16-17 on May 13.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Posted by Babe-1[/QUOTE]

Haha!  The loss column becomes important when the season is a bit older than one month.  Hysterical.  OK, you are right, they are five back.  A great team can be sub .500 if they got off to a rough start and pitchers did not pitch.  As you can see, as the pitching comes around, they have closed the gap on .500 rather nicely.  2-11 is now 14-15.  Seems pretty good given the circumstances.  And, they have done it pounding on one of the better teams in the west and against some pretty good pitchers.  I get it, you hate the Sox.  Just like I hate the Yanks.  However, I can have an enjoyable dialog with Yankee fans without just trying to tweak those who I converse with.  You should try it sometime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : oh babe.  i like you when you are either smart or funny in your provoacations.  But, sometimes, like here, you are just kinda, well, dull.  I thought the 2009 world champion Yankees were pretty darn good, dare say even great.  They were 16-17 on May 13.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Facial!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : oh babe.  i like you when you are either smart or funny in your provoacations.  But, sometimes, like here, you are just kinda, well, dull.  I thought the 2009 world champion Yankees were pretty darn good, dare say even great.  They were 16-17 on May 13.  

I wouldn't say they were great. They were good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : Facial!

Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

No need to bring up your fantasies about big papi in here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : I wouldn't say they were great. They were good.
    Posted by Babe-1[/QUOTE]

Now you are being obtuse Babe.  I wouldn't call them great in the 'great teams of all time' pantheon either.  But they were World Champions.  They were AL East champs, pennant winners, and World Champions.  If Soxmeister's definition of greatness is being capable of these feats, one could hardly fault him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : Now you are being obtuse Babe.  I wouldn't call them great in the 'great teams of all time' pantheon either.  But they were World Champions.  They were AL East champs, pennant winners, and World Champions.  If Soxmeister's definition of greatness is being capable of these feats, one could hardly fault him.

No, you are either great or you are not. They were a very good team, but not a great team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : No, you are either great or you are not. They were a very good team, but not a great team.
    Posted by Babe-1[/QUOTE]

OK, fair enough.  They were indeed a very good team.  And allow me to rephrase Soxmeister's words in a way that I certainly agree with:  this is a very good team here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : No, you are either great or you are not. They were a very good team, but not a great team.
    Posted by Babe-1[/QUOTE]

Obviously a binary decision. There is no gray area in between. When a team is rated on a scale of 1-100, 96 is good and 97 is great. I'm surprised that only Babe was aware of this scale of greatness. Spaceman must have been living in a cave.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : OK, fair enough.  They were indeed a very good team.  And allow me to rephrase Soxmeister's words in a way that I certainly agree with:  this is a very good team here.

That remains to be seen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : That remains to be seen.
    Posted by Babe-1[/QUOTE]

Oh indeed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

m_enabler_2.16

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

This "laughing stock" has played over .700 baseball since mid April.

Please continue...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christian3886. Show Christian3886's posts

Please spread the word somehow about donating to the West Alabama Food Bank which supports the recovery. People can text the word FOOD to 27722 to give $10 to the relief effort. This would be greatly appreciated here in Tuscaloosa and the surrounding areas!  We have a lot of Red Sox fans that are in desperate need right now!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : No need to bring up your fantasies about big papi in here.
    Posted by Babe-1[/QUOTE]

Wow, you are officially 12 years old.  Unreal! I remember when I had my first beer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Laughing stock of major league baseball : That was pre Gonzo's contract Now they are firmly entrenched with the 2nd highest payroll barlely lower than the Yankees
    Posted by ljreiif[/QUOTE]

Gonzo's new contract doesn't count because it doesn't start until 2012. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]https://www.facebook.com/people/Andrew-Mitchell/1362870060
    Posted by ConcernTroll[/QUOTE]

thanks for posting this..His Concern Troll act is really pathetic..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response; to Laughing stock of major league baseball:
    [QUOTE]Are you kidding me--forget about it and stop making excuses for this group. The second highest payroll in baseball--a catching tandem that most college teams could field. A guy playing third that should be on the DL. A rightfielder  that swings like he ought to be retired, a leftfielder that needs to be DH'd for. A DH that shouldn't  be playing any longer. A CF'der playing for his next contract someplace. As I see it you've got three people playing the 8 fielding position that are dirt dogs playing baseball: AGon, Pedroia and Youk. The pitching is fine. You could replace the rest of the team, backups and starters, with AA and AAA and they would be as much of a threat as this group. Pressure--don't make that excuse for them. They don't know what pressure is. Are they president of the US, are they worried about feeding their families or are they  homeless; are they surgeons with the responsibility of saving someone's life, or a fireman or policeman or a member of the military that's been away from their family for a year.  NO THEY ARE BASEBALL PLAYERS--THAT'S ALL--THEY ARE JUST BASEBALL PLAYERS.  Hopefully they will start doing what got them to where they are today; they'll be playing like todays game is their last game or looking over their shoulders worried about someone taking their job.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

I do think this team is totally unprepared to play each day, and his decisions during the game are little league at best. The sooner he quits or gets canned the better for the sox it will be. His defenders keep telling us don't worry everything is ok and they are still tied for last place. It's time Theo, Mr Henry we have seen enough of this horrible play and leadership pull the plug,,,,,,NOW.

Thank you Mr Francona but your welcome is 2 yrs worn out.  

[QUOTE]1/6th of the season is in the books.  That is a significant chunk of the season. They are on pace to win 66 games. Francona is going to get canned on or about May 15th.  I don't blame Francona - but it is going to happen.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]