Lavarnway being recalled...to warm up pitchers? If he plays great, if not...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Lavarnway being recalled...to warm up pitchers? If he plays great, if not...

Ryan needs more playing time and would get it with the PawSox in the playoffs. Perhaps he will be put into the catching rotation(maybe)? or will be tried in the outfield(doubtful) or DH against a tough lefty(doubtful)? Your thoughts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Lavarnway being recalled...to warm up pitchers? If he plays great, if not...

He's likely going to get plugged in the lineup during blowouts, get him some MLB experience catching and give him some at bats.  He will get additional at-bats as a RH pinch hitter off the bench, I would also imagine he could be a potential RH hitting backup to david ortiz.

Rosters are expanding, and Ryan is one of the most capable hitters we have in the system, if not the most....calling him up makes complete sense. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Lavarnway being recalled...to warm up pitchers? If he plays great, if not...

Infielder Nate Spears and right-hander Kyle Weiland have come to Toronto along with catcher/designated hitter Ryan Lavarnway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Rosters are expanding, and Ryan is one of the most capable hitters we have in the system, if not the most....calling him up makes complete sense.

I think it makes sense after Pawtucket's season ends. I don't like raiding the AAA team's roster of its best players, just as they're headed into the playoffs, when realistically the Red Sox aren't even going to use most of these guys. Lavarnway will probably warm pitchers up between innings and maybe get the occasional pinch-hitting appearance. I would have waited another couple weeks. I see greater value in letting him be a playoff hero, even in Pawtucket, than riding the bench in Boston. He'd still get a chance to come back here before the end of the year.

I feel the same way about the promotion of Kyle Weiland. He's the ace of the Pawtucket rotation. The Red Sox should be calling up guys like Hideki Okajima (and I guess Nate Spears is okay too). Let the younger players finish their minor league seasons.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Lavarnway being recalled...to warm up pitchers? If he plays great, if not...:
    [QUOTE]Ryan needs more playing time and would get it with the PawSox in the playoffs. Perhaps he will be put into the catching rotation(maybe)? or will be tried in the outfield(doubtful) or DH against a tough lefty(doubtful)? Your thoughts.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]  HE HAS A  M L BAT !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Interesting that they bring up Nate Spears, a .248 hitter at Pawtucket , and dfa Drew Sutton , who did a pretty decent job for the Sox.  As for Lavarnway , he could be useful , but I'm not sure how much of a chance he is going to get.  Weiland deserves a shot. I would guess the Pawtucket fans are not too happy , but the Sox success is more important.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The Sox are doing everything they can to win it this year. No question about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

He should play because this lineup can't hit right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The minor league system exists to develop players for the big leagues....if they can provide any type of useful depth, and contribute in any way....they belong up here in September. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway being recalled...to warm up pitchers? If he plays great, if not...:
    [QUOTE]Interesting that they bring up Nate Spears, a .248 hitter at Pawtucket , and dfa Drew Sutton , who did a pretty decent job for the Sox.  As for Lavarnway , he could be useful , but I'm not sure how much of a chance he is going to get.  Weiland deserves a shot. I would guess the Pawtucket fans are not too happy , but the Sox success is more important.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Sutton dislocated his finger and needed surgery,so I'm guessing he was done for the year.That would explain Spears being called up to add versatility to the roster.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway being recalled...to warm up pitchers? If he plays great, if not...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway being recalled...to warm up pitchers? If he plays great, if not... :  Sutton dislocated his finger and needed surgery,so I'm guessing he was done for the year.That would explain Spears being called up to add versatility to the roster.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    Did not know that Sutton was hurt.  Still not sure how Spears fits in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Between Ryan Lavarnway Christian VAzquez, and Blake Swihart.....the Sox prospect of finding a star catcher in their own system is looking a lot brighter.  Meanwhile Montero seemed to look a lot less impressive in triple a this year, he's hit 2 homeruns and every yankee fan gets excited. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting that they bring up Nate Spears, a .248 hitter at Pawtucket , and dfa Drew Sutton , who did a pretty decent job for the Sox.  As for Lavarnway , he could be useful , but I'm not sure how much of a chance he is going to get.  Weiland deserves a shot. I would guess the Pawtucket fans are not too happy , but the Sox success is more important.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing.  I wonder what the back story is on Sutton?  And yeah Lavarnway could win a game here or there with a pinch hit and could get an rare start at DH.  He obviously should be here in September.  The "He Should play every day" thing stops this time of year.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway being recalled...to warm up pitchers? If he plays great, if not... : Probably, every team has fans that get over exicted....even us   
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Fans are defined to be fanatical and be homerish and it is natural behavior. It is nothing to be ashamed about and requires no apology or shame. Yankee fans belong on Yankee forums. It is really not complicated at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

After being leapfrogged by Ryan, the other catcher at Pawtucket will at least get to play all the playoff games.

I'm guessing Spears gets the gig instead of Sutton since he can play any of the positions, as well as 3B, 2B, and SS, and had 13 SB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox are doing everything they can to win it this year. No question about it.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

LOL!  "The Sox are doing everything they can to win it this year.  No question about it".  LOL!

Still better, "the Sox (especially Theo and Francona) are doing everything they can to NOT win it this year.  No question about it."  In a few days, both Theo and Francona will be calling this year as a "bridge year", that's why Theo and Francona are stripping Paw Sox's of their star players just before the Paw Sox go into the AAA play-offs.  What for?  So they can sit on the bench?  If Lavarnway is allowed to start a game by Francona and get 4 hits, Francona will just sit him the next day.  Can't let a hot hitter play 2 games in a row.  It's more important to keep that "left-right" hitting lineup going.  Bull crap!  GO SOX despite Theo and Francona.