Lavarnway starting on the right foot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lavarnway starting on the right foot

Ryan Lavarnway has started the year with 10H in 31 AB's scored 6 runs with 2 doubles 1 HR and 15 TB. he has a .323 BA  .421 OBP  .484 SLG  .905 OPS line so far in 8 games.

I hope he proves me wrong about his offense while staying a catcher. Good for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Lavarnway starting on the right foot

Ben faces tough decision on Salty and Lava this year.  Salty has one more arb year this offseason and Lava would be spending 2 1/2 season in Pawtucket if he doesn't get called up this season.  If Lava finishes the year strong, Salty might get traded this offseason and Lava could be our next starting catcher in 2014.  Or if Ortiz goes down again and needs long trip to DL, then Lava could be brought up to fill DH hole or do the catching and let Salty DHs.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ryan Lavarnway has started the year with 10H in 31 AB's scored 6 runs with 2 doubles 1 HR and 15 TB. he has a .323 BA  .421 OBP  .484 SLG  .905 OPS line so far in 8 games.

I hope he proves me wrong about his offense while staying a catcher. Good for him.

Lavarnway has always done well in the minor leagues. At the AAA level he is at .296/.894 and overall in the minors he is at .286/.882. His problem is that he is only at .172/.516 (in only 63 ABs) in the majors. He is being blocked by Salty right now so he is not going to get a fair shot to see what he can do in our organization any time soon. You cannot keep him at Pawtucket forever. It might be best to use him as a trade chip to get more pitching.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lavarnway has always done well in the minor leagues. At the AAA level he is at .296/.894 and overall in the minors he is at .286/.882. His problem is that he is only at .172/.516 (in only 63 ABs) in the majors. He is being blocked by Salty right now so he is not going to get a fair shot to see what he can do in our organization any time soon. You cannot keep him at Pawtucket forever. It might be best to use him as a trade chip to get more pitching.

Billy Beane would grab him in a heartbeat, does this all the time. Keeps an eye out for Minor Leaguers, who have the potential, then lets them play.

I wonder if we could put together a package to acquire either Stanton or some very good pitching prospects. Unless they plan to get rid of Salty Lavarnway is never going to be a fit here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Definately going to be a tough decision but Salty pretty much controls his own destiny at this point.  We have Lav tied up for quite some.  Unless Salty can increase his OBP/BA and actually keep it there by seasons end I only seeing us offering him "maybe" a short term deal with no guarantee to be the starter.  If Salty does finally begin to turn the corner it may be Lav to go as part of a package to upgrade another area.  I don't see Lav or Salty being happy in a back up role but who really knows.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Lava believer.  Trade Salty while his value is high, that is, before the long summer wears on him and he's striking out 3 times a game and hitting .210.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We are in an ideal situation. We have solid depth at catcher because chances are at some point we will need it. And it is cheap depth.

I've been a major advocate of Lavarnway for years now. When people said he would never be able to field the slot at catcher I said he had a good chance to develop there and he did. The guy has hit at every level except the majors so far. He has usually started slow so early indications this year are particularly good. He has lost a lot of weight and I think that has affected his power but his man strength should be starting to kick in soon and I think he will put up good numbers.

Salty may have had a streaky HR year last year or not. We will know more as the year develops. Let's hope. I don't project Salty as very good defensively either though and I think over time Lavarnway will be a cheaper, better hitter for us. A better solution.

I've taken heat over this but I firmly believe that a guy intelligent enough and with enough work ethic to get into Yale and succeed there while playing a sport probably has extraordinary intangibles.  I'm putting my money on him going forward.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

pretty sure Salty is a FA at the end of this season.. in reference to the OP

Lava should still be moved off the position.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Where is Lavarnway going to go if he is not a catcher. His bat is probably not good enough to be a DH and he's never played 1st. He is slow as molasses and would be a disaster in the OF.

He's a catcher or nothing. That's my opinion. Everyone is welcome to theirs. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Ben faces tough decision on Salty and Lava this year.  Salty has one more arb year this offseason and Lava would be spending 2 1/2 season in Pawtucket if he doesn't get called up this season.  If Lava finishes the year strong, Salty might get traded this offseason and Lava could be our next starting catcher in 2014.  Or if Ortiz goes down again and needs long trip to DL, then Lava could be brought up to fill DH hole or do the catching and let Salty DHs.  

This is saltys last year of arb...Hes a FA after the 2013 season

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Billy Beane would grab him in a heartbeat, does this all the time. Keeps an eye out for Minor Leaguers, who have the potential, then lets them play.

I wonder if we could put together a package to acquire either Stanton or some very good pitching prospects. Unless they plan to get rid of Salty Lavarnway is never going to be a fit here.

I think they (Red Sox) really like Vasquez too...have to see how CV does at AA this year. But yeah, they have a couple catchers they could use in a package for GS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Where is Lavarnway going to go if he is not a catcher. His bat is probably not good enough to be a DH and he's never played 1st. He is slow as molasses and would be a disaster in the OF.

idk many people projected him to be the DH by the time Papi retired. Obviously the regression last year put a spike into that projection but i still think it is on the table. and so what if he's never played 1B before.. he can start. It doesn't take a superb athlete to play first base. that's why so many hulking ogres play the position. especially in the NL. The reason i want to move him off the position is because i don't think he will be good enough defensively, plus Salty is already the catcher of the future in my mind. Having a catching tandem of Salty and Lava is redundant. I don't want to trade Lava either because i do like his bat still (despite the poor offensive year from him last season. Or at least a step backwards) and want to keep it in the organization. Playing 1B is probably the easiest position to play besides DH and we have a lack of good 1Bman in our system (more importantly a lack of 1Bman who will be ready by 2014).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

more pitching?  In order of current talent (IMO):

Lester

Buchh

Dempster

Webster

Doubie

Lackey

Aceves

Ruby De La Rosa

Morales

Wright

Owens

Barnes

Ranaudo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

Pumpsie, we dont have room for the pitching prospects we currently have!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

idk many people projected him to be the DH by the time Papi retired. Obviously the regression last year put a spike into that projection but i still think it is on the table. and so what if he's never played 1B before.. he can start. It doesn't take a superb athlete to play first base. that's why so many hulking ogres play the position. especially in the NL. The reason i want to move him off the position is because i don't think he will be good enough defensively, plus Salty is already the catcher of the future in my mind. Having a catching tandem of Salty and Lava is redundant. I don't want to trade Lava either because i do like his bat still (despite the poor offensive year from him last season. Or at least a step backwards) and want to keep it in the organization. Playing 1B is probably the easiest position to play besides DH and we have a lack of good 1Bman in our system (more importantly a lack of 1Bman who will be ready by 2014).

Im not an expert on gauging catcher defense; however, it appears to me that Salty keeps getting better and better.

If he can hit .260, 20 HR and play D like he's been playing this year...He's worth a 3 yr / 30 in my mind.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

morepitching?  In order of current talent (IMO):

Lester

Buchh

Dempster

Webster

Doubie

Lackey

Aceves

Ruby De La Rosa

Morales

Wright

Owens

Barnes

Ranaudo

Yes, MORE PITCHING. Six of the guys you listed are still in the minors and are no sure thing to be successful in the majors. Of the other six, one is Dempster, who I personally do not trust, another is Doubront who has yet to show that he warrants more than a #4 SP role, another is Lackey, who was the worst SP in baseball last year and has yet to prove he does not deserve that designation, and another is a nut case. I do not believe you can have TOO MUCH pitching, so yes, I would say that MORE PITCHING is tops on my wish list.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Lester

Buchh

Dempster

Webster

Doubie

Lackey

Aceves

Ruby De La Rosa

Morales

Wright

Owens

Barnes

Ranaudo

Yes, MORE PITCHING. Six of the guys you listed are still in the minors and are no sure thing to be successful in the majors. Of the other six, one is Dempster, who I personally do not trust, another is Doubront who has yet to show that he warrants more than a #4 SP role, another is Lackey, who was the worst SP in baseball last year and has yet to prove he does not deserve that designation, and another is a nut case. I do not believe you can have TOO MUCH pitching, so yes, I would say that MORE PITCHING is tops on my wish list.

Im not expecting all six of the minor leaguers to turn out, but a prospect isnt a prospect.  They are individuals.

Henry Owens is a 6'7" lefty who has struck out 96 of the last 100 batters he's faced (slight exaggeration , but still.  He had a ton of Ks in the spring and a ton of Ks so far this year)

De La Rosa can hit 101

Webster throws a 98 MPH sinker, changeup, and a curveball (I didnt even know such a pitcher exhisted)

Ranaudo is 6'7" and has a curveball w heavy sink

Barnes has 4 plus pitches

Wright has a good resume of minor league success

(moving on)

You say you personally do not trust Dempster; hwoever, the guy has been very consistent over the last 4 years.  3.8 ERA, 180-200K's.  Even in Texas his ERA was skewed by two awful starts.  He wasnt awful in Texas.  Guy is a craft vet who knows how to pitch.  You dont stay in the league for 12 years w/ a career K/9 of 8 without knowing how to pitch

I dont trust Lackey, Morales, or Aceves either; however, as depth guys (which they will all be once Webster forces us to call him up): we could do worse

Doubront had 200 K's last year.

Im excited about our pitching this year.  It seems like we went from "needing an unrealistic series of events to have a capable staff" to "needing an unrealistic series of events to not have a capable staff"

Out of: De La Rosa, Webster, Owens, Barnes, Ranaudo: its unrealist to think that none will bust...But its equally unrealistic to think that all will bust

Re: Buchh and Lester: its unrealistic to think that they will both revert to 2012 form, when there career averages and 2013 peripherals show that they are both very good #2s (at least)

I see where you are coming from; however, Im excited about our staff....Im worried about our power shortage.  Especially considering that we are depending on guys like Ortiz and Napoli to get and stay healthy.

Pitching is not my concern right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lester

Buchh

Dempster

Webster

Doubie

Lackey

Aceves

Ruby De La Rosa

Morales

Wright

Owens

Barnes

Ranaudo

Im not expecting all six of the minor leaguers to turn out, but a prospect isnt a prospect.  They are individuals.

Henry Owens is a 6'7" lefty who has struck out 96 of the last 100 batters he's faced (slight exaggeration , but still.  He had a ton of Ks in the spring and a ton of Ks so far this year)

De La Rosa can hit 101

Webster throws a 98 MPH sinker, changeup, and a curveball (I didnt even know such a pitcher exhisted)

(moving on)

You say you personally do not trust Dempster; hwoever, the guy has been very consistent over the last 4 years.  3.8 ERA, 180-200K's.  Even in Texas his ERA was skewed by two awful starts.  He wasnt awful in Texas.  Guy is a craft vet who knows how to pitch.  You dont stay in the league for 12 years w/ a career K/9 of 8 without knowing how to pitch

I dont trust Lackey, Morales, or Aceves either; however, as depth guys (which they will all be once Webster forces us to call him up): we could do worse

Im excited about our pitching this year.  It seems like we went from "needing an unrealistic series of events to have a capable staff" to "needing an unrealistic series of events to not have a capable staff"

Out of: De La Rosa, Webster, Owens, Barnes, Ranaudo: its unrealist to think that none will bust...But its equally unrealistic to think that all will bust

Re: Buchh and Lester: its unrealistic to think that they will both revert to 2012 form, when there career averages and 2013 peripherals show that they are both very good #2s (at least)

I see where you are coming from; however, Im excited about our staff....Im worried about our power shortage.  Especially considering that we are depending on guys like Ortiz and Napoli to get and stay healthy.

I think you can add Workman and Johnson to that list too...Maybe not a TOTR starters, but 3-4-5 are needed as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

His limted MLB experience has not left me with many postive hopes for Lavarnway, beyond maybe a career as a backup catcher.

He still has time, but he turns 26 this August and the hourglass is running out of sand, and he has ALOT of improvement to make...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I disagree that Salty/Lava are redundant....Salty may be a Switch hitter but is #'s are dramatically better from the left side as from the Right Side, which is a compliment to the RHH Lava.....I would also be teaching Lava to play 1B, because versatilty of being able to play 1B occasionally, DH from the Right Side may allow us to carry a 3rd catcher. I know he struggled in his ML AB's so far, but his bat looks like it should translate to the ML level.....I wouldn't give up on him as of yet. As for Salty, he also is still developing, at the plate and behind the dish.....so I think there is a situation where you could carry both of them....all that said, considering our ML catching depth,...holding onto either of them should never be a holdup in a big deal....both are expendable

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Lester

Buchh

Dempster

Webster

Doubie

Lackey

Aceves

Ruby De La Rosa

Morales

Wright

Owens

Barnes

Ranaudo

De La Rosa can hit 101

(moving on)

I think you can add Workman and Johnson to that list too...Maybe not a TOTR starters, but 3-4-5 are needed as well.

what a travesty that Drewskii left out Tazawa too....... tsk tsk tsk

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lester

Buchh

Dempster

Webster

Doubie

Lackey

Aceves

Ruby De La Rosa

Morales

Wright

Owens

Barnes

Ranaudo

De La Rosa can hit 101

(moving on)

what a travesty that Drewskii left out Tazawa too....... tsk tsk tsk

I think it was a list of possible starters and Tazawa, although signed as a starter, has never started a game for the sox or in the last couple years. Morales and Aceves have.