Lavarnway stays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Lavarnway stays

In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : You're making calls as the Yankee GM?  They wouldn't have Ibanez and he'd be the DH or in a less likely scenario they may have tried to move Cervelli and put him there but thats less likely, he'd be the DH for now.  If he was a better catcher he'd be there but he has a bad glove, not as good as Lavarnway's which is why I'm shocked that such a stud at the plate with a decent glove is gonna start the year at AAA.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

No, but you're doing the same. What they may or may not have done with Montero is anyone guess, probably even Cashman's. If you're shocked about Lava, youre the only one, Sox weren't going to carry three catchers. My guess is you'll see him in the BIGS before the seasons ends.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : No, but you're doing the same. What they may or may not have done with Montero is anyone guess, probably even Cashman's. If you're shocked about Lava, youre the only one, Sox weren't going to carry three catchers. My guess is you'll see him in the BIGS before the seasons ends.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I'm a special assistant to Cashman.

I'm shocked and so were some posters on this forum, I'm sure we'll see him this season unless for some reason he takes a step back down at AAA.  Not every young catcher gets to play in the bigs at the age of 22 like Jesus Montero.  He's just a little further along thats all, Lavarnway's day will come.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Lavarnaway should absolutely stay.  I think Salty is batting .180 this spring.  Salty should be getting nervous.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

J just so you know, I'm only being a wisea$$ with you.  I'm just joking around, anyway I'm heading out of the office for much of the afternoon.  Have a good day man.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays:
     To do that, we should trade Salty while his stock is high . Living off of family entitlements leads to idle time, which causes brain death. Salty's stock is low!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that weak hitting decent defending Kelly has replaced a washed up Varitek, Lavarnway should be the other catcher on the roster. Lavarnway should catch about 100 games and DH another 30 or so. Salty should be parked as long as possible for catcher depth, then traded. 
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr
    Let me quess Skank, Salty is your new whipping boy right? You dumb sob.

Figures that softy blasts me, then takes my position all in one post. The clown's never-ending silliness.

His "family entitlements" comments shows his complete lack of understanding and knowledge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lavarnaway should absolutely stay.  I think Salty is batting .180 this spring.  Salty should be getting nervous.

I think Salty still has one option left... very nervous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Lavarnway should stay???  IMHO, the question of whether he would benefit from more time catching every day at AAA has two reasonable answers: a) he definitely would benefit from some more time at AAA; b) I don't think he needs it but it is close.  

Add to that the fact they lose a year of control if is with the team on opening day and there is no argument for having him on the opening day roster unless Salty has an extended DL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

There is an easier solution.  Trade Shoppach and let Salty and Lavarnway split time.  Lavarnway is obviously the best option out of these three.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There is an easier solution.  Trade Shoppach and let Salty and Lavarnway split time.  Lavarnway is obviously the best option out of these three.

This actually works out better in terms of a platoon, since both Lava and Shoppach hit lefties better than righties, but we can actually get something good for salty in return. Also, If Salty plays vs most RHPs, then lava doesn't get enough PAs.

Trading Salty does 3 things:
    1) Lava gets all the time he needs to play FT.
    2) Salty brings nice return since his stock is higher than when we got him.
    3) Shopp catches vs LHPs (he hite them very well) and Lava can DH vs some LHPs to rest Papi.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Figures that softy blasts me, then takes my position all in one post.

Softy didn't take your position, nor did I. Your position was to offer Varitek 1 million, as you bragged that he was one of the best backup catchers in MLB who has magic fingers.

My position is my position, and it has been all along to park Salty and put Lavarnway on the active roster and obtain a defensive catcher and throw Varitek in a dumpster. Kelly Shop and dumping Varitek took care of the problem. All that is left is to park Salty and go with Lavarnway. But management that would pay Crawford and Ellsbury nearly 30 million a year is surely stupid enough to go wtih Salty and Kelly Shop, two catcher profiles who do not compliment one another. Salty, aside from being a black hole, is not agile behind the plate, at all. Another Inepstein pipe dream, a la Hermida, but at least it didn't cost a fortune. Salty is an asset if parked in AAA.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]There is an easier solution.  Trade Shoppach and let Salty and Lavarnway split time.  Lavarnway is obviously the best option out of these three.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Salty needs to go. He can't hit his own weight and is horrible behind the plate. At least Shoppach can catch

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]There is an easier solution.  Trade Shoppach and let Salty and Lavarnway split time.  Lavarnway is obviously the best option out of these three. This actually works out better in terms of a platoon, since both Lava and Shoppach hit lefties better than righties, but we can actually get something good for salty in return. Also, If Salty plays vs most RHPs, then lava doesn't get enough PAs. Trading Salty does 3 things: 1) Lava gets all the time he needs to play FT. 2) Salty brings nice return since his stock is higher than when we got him. 3) Shopp catches vs LHPs (he hite them very well) and Lava can DH vs some LHPs to rest Papi.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I'm in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

The next CARLTON FISK !!!!   Send salty over to theo/cubs, Theo is/was in love with the guy !!!!   I never have been sold on "Salty"  !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ubahero. Show ubahero's posts

If Evan Longoria can get sent down during his rookie year, if Desmond Jennings can get sent down to start the year despite an obvious opening from the Carl Crawford departure last year, then I am sure as much as I like Ryan Lavarnway, it will be okay waiting until June to have him come up to prevent the super two status and delay arbitration for a year. Do you want to be like the San Francisco Giants and paying Tim Lincecum max salaries one year earlier than needed year after year?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

If we are talking about upside both Lava and Salty have potential. Unless trading Salty brings a good SP keeping both of them makes sense.

1. Lava has time to refine his game working with Tuck.
    2. Salty is well rested and plays better late in the season.
    3. The Sox can make adjustments in positions or trade Salty in the off season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]They should have thought of this when they offered Papi arb. I want Lava here playing everyday. To do that, we should trade Salty while his stock is high.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I would agree.  I didn't get signing Papi to big money.  I like him but they have other pressing needs.  I would have used that money for a starting pitcher.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]If Evan Longoria can get sent down during his rookie year, if Desmond Jennings can get sent down to start the year despite an obvious opening from the Carl Crawford departure last year, then I am sure as much as I like Ryan Lavarnway, it will be okay waiting until June to have him come up to prevent the super two status and delay arbitration for a year. Do you want to be like the San Francisco Giants and paying Tim Lincecum max salaries one year earlier than needed year after year?
    Posted by ubahero[/QUOTE]

Indeed Uba.  And this is why Lavarnway is all but assured to start the year in AAA.  Though it is very exciting to watch him hit his way into contention for a roster spot, like watching Iggy field, there is no pressing need to have them on said roster, and, as you point to, good reason to start them in AAA.  

If the Nats are keeping Bryce Harper down til summer to avoid the super 2 syndrome, methinks the Sox are doing the same with Lav and Iggy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we are talking about upside both Lava and Salty have potential. Unless trading Salty brings a good SP keeping both of them makes sense.

I doubt Salty alone will get us a quality starter, but he could be part of a deal to get Gavin Floyd or someone else like Wandy.

1. Lava has time to refine his game working with Tuck.

With Salty gone, Lava gets all the work he needs. Since Shopp hits LHPs very well, He could start vs most lefties and Lava could DH for Papi and give him some rest.

2. Salty is well rested and plays better late in the season.

Salty had enough rest last year. VTek had more PAs than all but one back-up catcher last year. 

3. The Sox can make adjustments in positions or trade Salty in the off season.

Salty's not good enough to DH or play 1B.

Salty just had his best season of his career.

While his stock might have been higher when he was a young prospect, it is certainly much higher now than when we traded to get him.

I say, trade Salty now and give Lava the job. We still have Shoppach as the back-up and Exposito and Swihart for the near and far future.

I'm not sure if the White Sox would want Salty as a replacement for Pierzynski, but I'd love to add a few players to the deal and get Floyd.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : Indeed Uba.  And this is why Lavarnway is all but assured to start the year in AAA.  Though it is very exciting to watch him hit his way into contention for a roster spot, like watching Iggy field, there is no pressing need to have them on said roster, and, as you point to, good reason to start them in AAA.   If the Nats are keeping Bryce Harper down til summer to avoid the super 2 syndrome, methinks the Sox are doing the same with Lav and Iggy.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that was really the plan all along.

I think the FO thought Papi was going to walk, and perhaps Lava would be the near FT DH and 2nd or 3rd string catcher.

I also would not be so sure Iggy spends much time in AAA this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]If Evan Longoria can get sent down during his rookie year, if Desmond Jennings can get sent down to start the year despite an obvious opening from the Carl Crawford departure last year, then I am sure as much as I like Ryan Lavarnway, it will be okay waiting until June to have him come up to prevent the super two status and delay arbitration for a year. Do you want to be like the San Francisco Giants and paying Tim Lincecum max salaries one year earlier than needed year after year?
    Posted by ubahero[/QUOTE]

My concern is his durability

The catching position is so sensitive because of injury potential and a kid like Lavarnway realizes injury and loss of income; he would probably sign a long term deal and allow the Sox to buy out some of his arb/option years if given that opportunity.

This kid wants to be a part of things now and his bat shows he's capable. He may get even more opportuities before camp closes. Shop could be the back-up/ defensive catcher for the late innings if people are concerned. The Sox could go with three catchers easily for the first week with Salty as the firstbase backup and Lav as the back-up DH and pinch hitter.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"Your Gosh Darn Right"........   (Jack Nicholson, in a few good men)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lavarnway stays : My concern is his durability The catching position is so sensitive because of injury potential and a kid like Lavarnway realizes injury and loss of income; he would probably sign a long term deal and allow the Sox to buy out some of his arb/option years if given that opportunity. This kid wants to be a part of things now and his bat shows he's capable. He may get even more opportuities before camp closes. Shop could be the back-up/ defensive catcher for the late innings if people are concerned. The Sox could go with three catchers easily for the first week with Salty as the firstbase backup and Lav as the back-up DH and pinch hitter.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt we keep 3 catchers on the 25 man roster. (I think Salty has 1 option left.)

Papi and Youk can play 1B, so we don't need Salty there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

A more conventional solution is to trade Shoppach, who admittedly will not bring back much in value but neither will Salty. Lavarnway and Shoppach both hit better against LH pitching. I hate seeing Lavarnway sitting on the bench though.

Ergo, the Ortiz decision was key last winter and here we are. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Lavarnway was an OF in college for a while. LF in Fenway is a remote, and I do mean extremely remote option. Never happen but it's the only other way to get Lavarnway in the lineup much without trading Salty. He would be a good pinch hitter though.

If we think about that maybe Lavarnway for Salty's spot makes more sense. He's better than either of our catching options IMO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]A more conventional solution is to trade Shoppach, who admittedly will not bring back much in value but neither will Salty. Lavarnway and Shoppach both hit better against LH pitching. I hate seeing Lavarnway sitting on the bench though. Ergo, the Ortiz decision was key last winter and here we are. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

I think Salty would bring much better return than Shopp, and save us a little cash.

I don't think the issue with Shopp and Lava both hitting LHPs well might be a big problem if Lava can DH vs some LHPs.