Re: Lester Hometown Discount
posted at 1/24/2014 7:46 AM EST
Of course I believe him. Pedroia did the same thing, and Lester said he agreed with Pedroia. Here are a few good reasons for going that route--
1. Pedroia has more than enough money for the rest of his life and the lives of his kids. Ellsbury is getting more, but he doesn't really need more to live a very comfortable life. The exta money only pays for extravagance.
2. Farrell, Nieves, Cherington, Henry, et al, make this a good team to stay with. Good clubhouse with Gomes, et al. These are mostly the same people who stuck with him through the cancer episode (thankfully an episode). Good clubhouse atmosphere amonth the players. Napoli likes it enough to make a quick deal to stay. Peavy bought the duck boat.
3. Heckuva fan base. Not me, of course, because I live in Springfield, VA. But a heckuva fan base with an historic ballpark, sold out games, etc.
4. Great city, at least to visit. I was born here (Winthrop, a suburb of Boston), but left after 6 months so we could rejoin my dad. A ton of history. Boston Commons. The Charles River. Cape Cod. New England. Great schools. High cost of living, but people with a lot less money manage to live decently.
5. Pretty good team. Three WS in the last 10 years, and most of the 2013 model are returning.
That said, I hope Lester gets a good deal if not an extravagant one. He is the ace on one of the best pitching staffs in MLB, and he sure as heck delivered last year. Not too shabby in 2007 either.