lester looks like crap tonite.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

lester looks like crap tonite.

lots of pitches with 3 runs already.he looks burned out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: lester looks like crap tonite.

This is three starts in a row like this. He is really struggling.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Should be evident by now that he is a very good pitcher, but far from elite. For 11-13 million still worth it, but not a #1.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The frustrating thing about Lester is we all know he has the ability to be a #1.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:

Should be evident by now that he is a very good pitcher, but far from elite. For 11-13 million still worth it, but not a #1.

He is worth 15-17, 13 gets you 10-10 4.50.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He has one well defined pattern--he avoids breaking balls, especially the changeup, until he has give up some runs or he has 2 or 3 innings under his belt.  So opposing hitters know that early on he is only going to throw the fast ball or the cut fast ball.  This might still work if he could consistently hit the corners with those pitches, but he can't.  Right now the #2 starter is Lackey and it isn't close. 

Funny thing is, tonight was a solid start for Lester--6 innings, 3 runs. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Lester did his job tonight...two mistakes cost him 3 runs ...and he struggled some but Texas is a pretty good offensive team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

He hits the corners fine. For what ever reason he can't get a call.  It's criminal the way he's treated. He really doesn't complain, but I guess dirty looks are too much for the parade of home plate clowns. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Was he great? Not even close. But in a sub-par performance by his standards, he held one of the best-hitting teams in MLB to three runs in six innings. I don't always buy the "quality start" stat  -- 6 IP,  3 ER -- but I'd say tonight qualifies.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Thought so too at first, but he pulled out and had a decent outing after all. That Texas lineup is as tough as they come.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lester seems like he not getting the calls A LOT this year for some reason. He lives on the corners and has done well this year hitting them. Unfortunately, more times than not this year, hes not getting the calls. I agree that he hasnt looked as good as he could, but hes still keeping them in the games. He did good against a very tough Texas lineup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I think the fact that he doesn't just crack under the pressure of having a completely bogus strike zone is an incredible testament to his determination and maturity. Lester can't really say anything. He is under a microscope and the home plate clowns are looking for any reason to justify their bad calls. Farrell has to step up in a subtle way. Maybe suggest that Lester looks great and is missing by fractions of an inch. See, a manager can't really question the home plate clowns either, unless the manager is named Joe. 

What really needs to happen is the club needs to document the fact Lester is being abused. Take the current digital technology and compare Lerster's strike zone to the digital strike zone. 

You have to factor in as well that Lester is being forced to pitch to the meat of the plate. It's almost like he is so damned good they have changed the rules for him. The left to right movement on his pitches through the zone creates angles which should be either unhittable or called strikes, and instead he is forced to pitch to the fat part of the plate. 

It's just wrong, and needs to stop. This is where the press comes into play. The good press would tell the truth. Lester and the manager, even the team, can't call-out the clowns in public. The press should be responsible and begin running stories about how Lester is being jobbed simply because some overly sensetive clowns are sore when he rolls his eyes. 

Give Lester the Andy Pettitte strike zone and he'd be almost unhitable. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

The frustrating thing about Lester is we all know he has the ability to be a #1.

Not true. Lester is a serviceable #3-4 SP. He is not a #1 at all. Tonight proved it. ERA 4.50. Not a great effort when we needed a great effort.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

Lester did his job tonight...two mistakes cost him 3 runs ...and he struggled some but Texas is a pretty good offensive team.

Not an unexpected opinion from you. Are you happy if he had an ERA of 4.50 for the season?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Most of you guys are in fantasy land...probably never played a game beyond t-ball.

You monday morning want-a be's are really pretty funny....but sad, at the same time.

Lester is fine.  The problem is all of you....I suppose you all think Lackey stinks too?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Most of you guys are in fantasy land...probably never played a game beyond t-ball.

You monday morning want-a be's are really pretty funny....but sad, at the same time.

Lester is fine.  The problem is all of you....I suppose you all think Lackey stinks too?

He is fine as long as you define fine as a #3-4 SP. His ERA is climbing and will soon be above 4. I am not totally happy with Lester's game tonight since he gave up 3 ER in six innings=4.50 game ERA. Not good enough, not even for a #3-4 SP.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Not true. Lester is a serviceable #3-4 SP. He is not a #1 at all. Tonight proved it"

Small sample size alert!

I happen to think Lester is a very solid number 3 starter myself, but to delude yourself into thinking one start confirms  that one way or the other is absurd. 

The Sox can go a pretty long way if their starting pitchers stay healthy. Buch is an ace if he stays healthy. Given his frailty I'd rather have him as a number 2 but we can live with him as number one for now. 

That means Lester doesn't need to be number one, he just has to over achieve and be a number two. 

And if Lackey overachieves in his spot...

Oh that's right, I forgot that the season is over according to you

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lester's career numbers establish him as a solid #2.  The average fan just can't be bothered looking up what the average numbers for a #2 are.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Not an unexpected opinion from you. Are you happy if he had an ERA of 4.50 for the season?

Nope, and I wouldn't be happy with a 6.00 ERA either.

Lester has neither of those.

His ERA is 3.60.

Extrapolating one game out to an entire season is stupid.

Almost as stupid as insinuating that the Sox are not a good team, because of last year's record against Texas.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

He's been better and worse. He kept them in a game they came back and won. He did his job, as did the offense.

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Giving up 3 ER in 6 IP is indeed a 4.50 ERA ... for that game. Lester's ERA for the season is a solid 3.60.

Also, Jacoby Ellsbury and Jonny Gomes are not batting .800 for the season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Giving up 3 ER in 6 IP is indeed a 4.50 ERA ... for that game. Lester's ERA for the season is a solid 3.60.

Also, Jacoby Ellsbury and Jonny Gomes are not batting .800 for the season.

Exactly Lloyd. Thats like sounding the trumpets for Jonny Gomes to be an All Star because hes an .800 hitter.

In game ERA to make a case? really?  PG just likes to get peoples juices flowing, like on his other thread.

Lester has a year long ERA of 3.60. I think thats a bit more credible since thats about his career ERA as well. Lester is a solid TOTR pitcher. Meaning a 1 or 2. He looks like a solid #2 right now. He has looked like a #1, or dare I say, an "Ace" in the past. PG knows that.