Lester on pace for 15 wins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Lester on pace for 15 wins

His career ERA is 3.80 and as I write this it is around 3.90.

What were people freaking out about again?

I can't remember.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Lester on pace for 15 wins

if he wins 15 games this year then that would be 3 mroe wins than he got in his last season pitching in 2011 when he posted the worst numbers in the league. W/L for pitchers is a joke. anyone who puts any weight into that stat probably still listens to music ATrac tapes and uses morse code as opposed to texting. Talk about outdated.....

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

if he wins 15 games this year then that would be 3 mroe wins than he got in his last season pitching in 2011 when he posted the worst numbers in the league. W/L for pitchers is a joke. anyone who puts any weight into that stat probably still listens to music ATrac tapes and uses morse code as opposed to texting. Talk about outdated.....

I think you missed the point. This post was meant to point out that Lester is having the same type of year that he usually does, even though people have been maligning him for months.

Also I have no idea what the words you wrote in bold mean.  How did he post the worst numbers in the league in 2011? and he won 15 in 2011 so how would it be that if he won 15 this year he would have won 3 more?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This thread is about Lester. You sound like you're talking about Lackey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Stories , I agree with you on this. When you think of Lester , you think of a very good pitcher. I think he gets more respect from the opposition than from fans on here.  Hard to figure. Maybe sometimes the expectations are too high. 

Stabbed by Foulke.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

This thread is about Lester. You sound like you're talking about Lackey.

[/QUOTE]

HA! too lazy to actually read the post i guess!

oh man that made me laugh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

I can't remember.

A couple more loses you would be freaking out again. Love these posters who have all the answers after the fact,........ I think i will say something about Lester now that he's winning. I got it.. What were people freaking out about... I'm mr Joe i told you so after the fact. Ihate you freaking know nothings but come out of the woodwork when thing are going good. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

2 nice pitched games. Going into Sept. need them all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its 8-track mef. Thats funny

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I actually have some old 8-tracks boxed away somewhere and my old stereo from middle school and high school that has a turntable and 8-track player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i've only heard my grandparents talk about them soooTongue Out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

2 nice pitched games. Going into Sept. need them all.

lester getting hot. good time for it too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Hopefully Lester can keep pitching like this down the stretch. He was very good today against a solid lineup.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

I can't remember.

The way I see it-

1-There are those that think all our SPs are #5 pitchers.

2-But then there is a sizeable contingent that wonder if Lester is a solid #2, or if he can regain his ace stature that he had 2008-2011.

3-And some people that sit wondering if he is the great pitcher we saw in April, May, July and August, or the godawful one we saw in June.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The sox weren't forthcoming but Lester 

has been better since the extra rrest which makes 

me wonder if he was going through a minor

injury

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

W/L is not a joke, but you must factor in 2 other stats before you use W/L to justify a pitchers record. ERA and IP.  If I see 15 wins I immediately look at the ERA and IP. A great example was Derek Lowe winning 15+ and having an ERA over 5, that told me he was terrible and the team scored a lot of runs for him. If I see 15+ wins and see an ERA under 4 and 190+ innings pitched I know that pitcher won games for his team.

If Lester ends up with 15W, -4.00ERA, and +190IP then I will say he had a good season. 

i disagree. YYou can jsut as easily look at actual pitching stats to know if a pitcher is good or bad. The offense is more of a factor in W/L than a starting pitcher. that's why it's stupid to assign it to a single player. You're offense has 9 innings to produce. the other 50% of the game is split between the starter and X number of relievers so tell me how it is a good idea to assign a win or loss to one player who had an influence in less than half the game.

take a pitcher who's won 15+ games each of the past 3 years and stick him on the astros or Marlins...  On the flip side, take a pitcher with a sub-3.5 ERA and a <1.2 WHIP and stick them on the Astros or Marlins. Which is more likely to happen? pitcher A continues to average 15 wins a season or Pitcher B continues to have a sub 3.5 ERA and a whip under 1.2??

It at least held some weight back in the day when your starter actually went the distance on the reg... but now it has no use. it's an outdated stat with no function in todays game. The score a pitcher got on a third grade spelling test is a more telling stat than W/L.......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

W/L is not a joke, but you must factor in 2 other stats before you use W/L to justify a pitchers record. ERA and IP.  If I see 15 wins I immediately look at the ERA and IP. A great example was Derek Lowe winning 15+ and having an ERA over 5, that told me he was terrible and the team scored a lot of runs for him. If I see 15+ wins and see an ERA under 4 and 190+ innings pitched I know that pitcher won games for his team.

If Lester ends up with 15W, -4.00ERA, and +190IP then I will say he had a good season. 

It's not necessarily a given that a pitcher with a lot of wins and a high ERA (15-plus wins, 5-plus ERA) was terrible and got the wins simply because his team scored a lot of runs.

Take Josh Beckett in 2006. He won 16 games and had a 5.01 ERA. Conventional wisdom says he pitched lousy and won 16 games simply because the Sox scored a lot of runs for him. However, if you look at how he pitched in the wins, he really did pitch well enough to win those 16 games.

Take a look, here are his innings pitched and earned runs allowed in his 16 wins.

7 IP, 1 ER
    7 IP, 1 ER
    7 IP, 1 ER
    7 IP, 3 ER
    7 IP, 1 ER
    7 IP, 3 ER
    6 IP, 0 ER
    6 IP, 2 ER
    8 IP, 2 ER
    7.2 IP, 2 ER
    6 IP, 5 ER -- bad start
    8 IP, 0 ER
    6 IP, 3 ER -- mediocre start
    6 IP, 1 ER
    6 IP, 2 ER
    8 IP, 0 ER

In his 16 wins, he had one bad game where great run support helped, and one mediocre game where he still needed just average run support. So he definitely deserved 14 of the 16 wins.

However, he had a 7 IP, 3 ER loss, a 6 IP, 2 ER no decision and a 7 IP, 2 ER loss. So you could say he pitched well enough to actually have 17 wins.

The reason he had a 5.01 wasn't because he was bad or mediocre all year. It was because he had six atrocious games where he allowed considerably more runs than he innings pitched:

6.2 IP, 8 ER
    5.2 IP, 9 ER
    6.0 IP, 7 ER
    1.1 IP, 7 ER
    4.2 IP, 7 ER
    3.2 IP, 8 ER

In those 6 games, he had an ERA of 14.78.

In his other 27 starts, he had a 3.46 ERA.

If you have 27 starts and a 3.46 ERA, having 16 wins wouldn't raise an eyebrow. That's basically was Beckett did to earn those 16 wins. He then added six horrible starts to blow up his ERA.

You have to look at more than one stat, but you also have to see how that stat was built.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

He was delivering the pitch much quicker....i am abso convinced the only thing wrong with lester is sometimes he dour mental state makes him constipated...if you keep him moving on the mound and in a groove, he is a much better pithcer....they should attach some electrodes to him on the mound and zap him when he starts to take too long...

As always - 100% correct!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Bottom  line, Lester is a good pitcher. There is too much talk about what he is not (ace, no. 1, clutch) and not enough about what he is. He is one of the best LH starters in the AL.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Agree that when Lester Picks up the pace he does seem better. Maybe Peavy talking to him. Lester is the secret to this season. Need him bad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

He was delivering the pitch much quicker....i am abso convinced the only thing wrong with lester is sometimes he dour mental state makes him constipated...if you keep him moving on the mound and in a groove, he is a much better pithcer....they should attach some electrodes to him on the mound and zap him when he starts to take too long...

As always - 100% correct!

if you want someone to stay focused, zapping them with electricity doesn't seem like the way to go..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Agree that when Lester Picks up the pace he does seem better. Maybe Peavy talking to him. Lester is the secret to this season. Need him bad.

Lester is important (and so far he has done better than I expected this year, especially recently), but the key to this season is Breakholz. If he can come back and be as effective as he was when he was actually pitching we can play October baseball this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Lester is important (and so far he has done better than I expected this year, especially recently), but the key to this season is Breakholz. If he can come back and be as effective as he was when he was actually pitching we can play October baseball this year.

Even if he doesn't.. a rotation of LAckey, Lester, Peavy, Doobie is pretty formidable. Now, i am in no way saying that we're better off without him than with him... just saying that if for some reason he doesn't come back or is ineffective upon his return then we still have decent chances of making a deep run.

i worry more about our BP going forward. Uehara, Taz and Breslow are the only dependable arms in there day in, day out.

25. This post has been removed.