Lester speaks out about Beer and chicken

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Lester speaks out about Beer and chicken

from Boston.com:

Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester admitted today that he drank beer in the clubhouse during games this season and that, "it was the wrong thing to do." But he was adamant that such behavior was not to blame for the team's September collapse.

"There's a perception out there that we were up there getting hammered and that wasn't the case," Lester told The Globe via telephone from his home in Georgia. "Was it a bad habit? Yes. I should have been on the bench more than I was. But we just played bad baseball as a team in September. We stunk. To be honest, we were doing the same things all season when we had the best record in baseball."

Lester said the drinking was confined to starting pitchers who weren't in the game that day. "It was a ninth-inning rally beer," he said. "We probably ordered chicken from Popeye's like once a month. That happened. But that's not the reason we lost."

Lester has not spoken to deposed manager Terry Francona, communicating with him only through text messages.

He said he was sorry to see Francona leave the team but believes it might be for the best.

"I love Tito and he did a great job for us when he was here. On a personal level I was more than grateful for what he did for me and my family," Lester said. "But there comes a time when your authority is no longer there. You kind of run your course. People who knew how Tito was and we pushed the envelope with it. We never had rules, we never that that iron-fist mentality. If you screwed up, he called you on it. That was how it worked.

"I never say guys purposely breaking rules or doing the wrong thing in front of him and rubbing it in his face. But this particular team probably needed more structure."

During a lengthy interview, Lester said he did not have permission to speak on behalf of Josh Beckett, John Lackey or the other starters, but felt he had to.

"Consider us a unit when it comes to these accusations," he said. "We either fall together or rise above it all together whether they like it or not. Things got magnified because we lost and sources started telling people what happened, which has me upset because if you're going to say something, be a man to put your name to it. But we're not bad people and we're not a bad group of guys.

"Are there things I regret? Sure there are. But nothing happened that had me unprepared to pitch. I don't blame people for wanting answers because we had a hell of a team and we lost. You can't have a team that gets paid like we get paid and loses and not expect people to want answers."

Lester also denied that poor physical conditioning was a reason for the team's 7-20 September collapse. He said that pitchers typically gain weight during the season.

"It's probably because of how we eat," he said. "We have some crazy hours with the travel and you get in at 4 a.m. and you get room service or something quick. But unless your body fat is going up 10 percent or something like that, you don't have a problem.

"I've heard what people are saying in Boston. I can tell you that guys were in the weight room. Guys were doing their shoulder [exercises] and guys were prepared to pitch. If we win a few more games in September and make the playoffs, none of this comes out. But we didn't and that's on us as a team and on me personally. I take a lot of the blame for this, a lot."

Lester was 15-6 with a 2.93 earned run average in his first 27 starts. He was 0-3 with an 8.24 ERA in his last four with the team losing all four of the games.

"It bothers me because I'm supposed to be a stopper," he said. "I picked a terrible time to stink. That's on me."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Lester speaks out about Beer and chicken

It took 25 players, Tito, Theo, and coaches to lose the wildcard by one game. Of course, a typical forum would have no fun with diluting the blame that much. Instead of a shotgun approach, a forum would rather snipe at one scapegoat at a time. That will make the forum a pizzing contest thtoughout the long, cold winter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Nice to hear someone say something, and it was even better to hear Lester say that his poor performance was on him and no one else.  I really think beer-and-chicken-gate is ridiculously overblown and it's a case of the media trying to show clubhouse dissension or maybe trying to build a case of the pitching staff being disrespectful Francona on purpose. 

Maybe Lester was right, that this particular team needed the screws put to them a little more.  But when you have a manager who lets grown men be men and all of a sudden tries to be a disciplinarian, that's just not gonna work. 

Whatever the case is, it's nice to hear Lester be accountable, and I didn't doubt he would be.  He's never been a malcontent and I'm betting he comes back next year wiser for this experience.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Of course the beer drinking, video gaming, chicken eating, putting on weight and your lack presence during your non pitching days played a role in the Sept swoon whether you wish to believe it or not Lester. He kind of owns it, but not really 100%. I expected more from him in this article, and maybe there was more said than written. But you are the number #1(#2) starter. You are supposed to lead by example. Not go off and have a few in the clubhouse when you are not pitching. You get paid to be part of this team. To pitch, support others when not, and be a team player. The me attitude clearly showed through with this pitching staff. Disappointed he did not own more of it. And claim to put an end to it. And vow to the fans it won't happen anymore. And it seems they took advantage of Terry and his situation. And they need to own that too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

The bottom line here is that every one of the players involved in these beer and freid chicken parties knew what they were doing at the time was wrong, did it anyway, and kept doing it. So I'm not interested in hearing any spin they might want to put on it. These are grown men, not children--although many of them more often than not act like spoiled children. 

The cold hard truth is that we, as fans, pay outrageous prices to watch and support these guys, and if that's what they think of us..then fine, but they just need to remember that when spring training starts they're going to have to listen to what we think about their behavior--up close and personal. And when opening day arrives, they will be soundly booed, as they should be, for the apathy they've shown towards those who ultimately pay their inflated salaries.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Lester speaks out about Beer and chicken:
    [QUOTE]Nice to hear someone say something, and it was even better to hear Lester say that his poor performance was on him and no one else.  I really think beer-and-chicken-gate is ridiculously overblown and it's a case of the media trying to show clubhouse dissension or maybe trying to build a case of the pitching staff being disrespectful Francona on purpose.  Maybe Lester was right, that this particular team needed the screws put to them a little more.  But when you have a manager who lets grown men be men and all of a sudden tries to be a disciplinarian, that's just not gonna work.  Whatever the case is, it's nice to hear Lester be accountable, and I didn't doubt he would be.  He's never been a malcontent and I'm betting he comes back next year wiser for this experience.
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

At least Lester came out and said something. The Good Ole Texas Boys won't say a word because they are arrogant SOB's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

At least he owned up to his portion of it - he will be back, and he will be good in 2012.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I question whether he is telling the whole truth. In one sentence he says that it was only a 9th inning rally beer, and then he goes on to say the following:

"There's a perception out there that we were up there getting hammered and that wasn't the case. Was it a bad habit? Yes. I should have been on the bench more than I was. But we just played bad baseball as a team in September. We stunk. To be honest, we were doing the same things all season when we had the best record in baseball." -- Jon Lester told The Globe via telephone from his home in Georgia

He states he should have been on the bench more than I was. If it was only the 9th inning occoasionnaly then he really wasn't off the bench that much. I'm guessing the 9th inning rally beer was could have been in the 3rd, 6th, etc. Maybe they were playing 'Moundall'.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

What happened in the clubhouse during games is open for anyone to speculate. But things happened that were not good, either for the team or every player personally. Let's hope it will make the player's stronger in 2012 and maybe they will play with a little attitude which will be good for everyone.
    While noone should excuse what happened, it should be time to move on, player's take responsibility for themselves, and management to weed out who they think are responsible and start to regroup for the coming season, and all concerned should resolve that it should never happen again.

Maybe in some strange way it will be a positive for the player's, and they will come back even stronger and more dertimination to win in 2012. The Sox still have a very good team, so a little resolve on their part should go along way to righting the ship, and become the team they were for much of the 2011 season.

Sometimes adversity becomes your ally, so 2012 shoiuld be gut checking year, not to say a very interesting one, and if Guys like Ortiz don't have enough in them to rise above this, then they should move on.

2012 should be reserved for player's who want to prove everyone wrong, and who will do everything possible to bring a WS to  Boston.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Lester took his share of blame.

He didn't have to do this. Anyone who follows the Red Sox knows that Jon Lester is a normally quiet man who is very mature and intelligent.

I never for one minute thought Jon Lester was out of shape, a beer guzzler or irresponsible in any way. He admits to drinking a beer ( on days he wasn't scheduled to pitch) and eating chicken( once a month).

How many people out there pointing fingers drink beer (more than one) on days that they don't go to work?...how many commit that most dastardly of crimes in America today....eating fried chicken...

People need to get a life and stop finger pointing. None of you people assigning blame leads the life a Holy saint in the house of Jesus Christ, so stop the hypocrisy. None of these media clowns or fairweather fans has as much class in his little finger as Jon Lester has in his whole body.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If what they were doing "didn't contribute to the collapse," then why feel badly about it? 

If they were "all working so hard in the weight room, doing their arm exercise, & staying in top notch shape," then why would they have needed a stronger hand & a "veteran presence" in the locker room to keep guys accountable???

LOOK!  I really like Lester, but I think he's just kidding himself!  It's admirable that he does not cast blame on Beckett or Lackey, but I think he knows what the real issues were!!!  I think he's right about the collapse not being physical!  It was a state of mind!!!  A very negative clubhouse culture! 

I still say that it was LACKEY who brought down this entire pitching staff!!! The worse he got, the worse his attitude got. He rallied his boys around himself, & dragged them into his personal & professional collapse. Misery loves company, & this guy desperately needed the guys to join him in a negative pity party.  I think he said to them, "hey!  They turned on Dice, they turned on me, & they'll turn on you too at the first sign of trouble."  

LACKEY MUST GO!!!!!!   AT ANY COST!!!!  IT WILL STILL BE A BARGAIN FOR THIS TEAM! 

At least Lester seems to feel some real guilt over what happened.  He will be fine in the long run.  Beckett will hopefully rise out of the ashes with a renewed sense of purpose, & stay focused the whole season next year???  Buch will likely come back in top notch shape?  Lackey will hopefully be gone SOON!!!!!!!!! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

ADG ...stop your guessing, because you are creating rumors based on absolutley nothing, you are worse than the sportwriters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

What is a logical fallacy?

All arguments have the same basic structure: A therefore B. They begin with one or more premises (A), which is a fact or assumption upon which the argument is based. They then apply a logical principle (therefore) to arrive at a conclusion (B). An example of a logical principle is that of equivalence. For example, if you begin with the premises that A=B and B=C, you can apply the logical principle of equivalence to conclude that A=C. A logical fallacy is a false or incorrect logical principle. An argument that is based upon a logical fallacy is therefore not valid. It is important to note that if the logic of an argument is valid then the conclusion must also be valid, which means that if the premises are all true then the conclusion must also be true. Valid logic applied to one or more false premises, however, leads to an invalid argument. Also, if an argument is not valid the conclusion may, by chance, still be true. 

So, are we to conclude that Jon Lester indeed has class? I just think he's a good lefty hurler who's known for his inconsistencies...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Maybe ADG wants to the Michael Felger of the BDC forum.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

At least they weren't doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

really?? ordering chicken from popeye's during the game???? and this admission wasnt supposed to reflect badly on Lester or the team???? LOLOLOL
    seriously, where is Mr. Hand when you need him? what a zoo that clubhouse must've been....disgusting

i guess the huge gourmet spread after each game wasnt enough for our fatmen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

This is a start.  Good for Lester..He admitted it and recognized that it was not the right to do...Now lets hear from some more guys..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe ADG wants to the Michael Felger of the BDC forum.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Michael Felger asked an astute question (essentially, "Who didn't know what was going on in the clubhouse?") and followed with an interesting accusation (essentially, "Then Pedroia is lying...") during the impromptu visit by Senator John Henry.

Are we to conclude that Dustin Pedroia knew nothing of pain pills, unrest, beer, chicken and clubhouse antics because he was always engaged in the game?

I suppose we can.

Then again when Senator Henry (after throwing Carl Crawford under the bus) responded by saying, "Obviously you don't know Dustin Pedroia." it became painfully obvious that the Senator aligned himself with the most respected player on the team.

Are we surprised to see what Jon Lester says from his Georgia home today?

Really?

I'm thinking it's all orchestrated by the Red Sox PR department. Did y'all hear what Adrian Gonzalez said from San Diego yet?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Nice honest, sincere response from Adrian Gonzalez. I see nothing wrong with it.
    http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1373203&srvc=sports&position=2

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teebar. Show Teebar's posts

In retrospect, the season was a loss before it began. This spring training provided a glimpse of a potential power-house team but a bit too cocky after the potentially great acquisitions in the off season. Toward the end of spring training the team was losing game after game and the response from many of the players was that these games didn't count, just a warm up for the season. Any team with pride and discipline does not like to lose game after game without discipline being called for by the manager and general manager. Have you ever seen the damn Yankees act like this? This cockiness and lack of discipline was an obvious precursor to failure. Our Ft Myers contingent discussed this flaw at that time but did not think it would result in this type of collapse. It will be interesting to see if our future management team has learned from this embarrasing experience. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In retrospect, the season was a loss before it began. This spring training provided a glimpse of a potential power-house team but a bit too cocky after the potentially great acquisitions in the off season. Toward the end of spring training the team was losing game after game and the response from many of the players was that these games didn't count, just a warm up for the season. Any team with pride and discipline does not like to lose game after game without discipline being called for by the manager and general manager. Have you ever seen the damn Yankees act like this? This cockiness and lack of discipline was an obvious precursor to failure. Our Ft Myers contingent discussed this flaw at that time but did not think it would result in this type of collapse. It will be interesting to see if our future management team has learned from this embarrasing experience. 
    Posted by Teebar[/QUOTE]

Have you been around athletics and sports much?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

[QUOTE]ADG ...stop your guessing, because you are creating rumors based on absolutley nothing, you are worse than the sportwriters.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Stop making excuses for these guys. That's what's wrong with them, no one has held them accountable. Now they are being held accountable. That's the way you affect change in people. Stop idolizing them like a teenage girl idolozes Justin Beiber and hold them accountable. It will only get you a better product on the field.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From an ESPNBoston.com article by gordon Edes:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15006/window-wide-open-for-sox-cubs-to-settle-on-epstein

The fuss made over the fried chicken and beer consumed in the Sox clubhouse by the starting pitchers was greeted with amusement by at least 1 former major leaguer, who told me that when he played, in the '70s and '80s, it was not uncommon for a player to pop into the clubhouse to do a line of cocaine before returning to the dugout. Yes, sports fans, he asked that his name not be used. I think you can understand why.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Lester just became a leader.  Good for him.   Now, where the hell is Beckett? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]Lester just became a leader.  Good for him.   Now, where the hell is Beckett? 
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Well its all nice and good that Lester was the first to say something....all it took was a fired manager, and bleep storm in the media. Also, it doesnt reflect well on his or anyone elses character that he thinks that a groups of 27+ yr old MEN need an "Adult" to be strict with them so that they do whats necessary. Sad.