Lets Be Honest

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

Lets Be Honest

And I mean really think about it. Would it really be a bad thing if the Sox sign Josh Hamilton? Would anyone really come on this board and complain and give Ben and company a hard time about it. Now Dont get me wrong I dont want them to do it. That being said and I was thinking about it yesterday, my reaction to the signing if it were to happen would be.... Alright this team just got better. Lets look at the facts, hes two years off of an MVP season. Even tho he went through a slump at the end hes STILL an MVP candidate this year and will receive some first place (though not many, maybe none who knows) votes. The guy hit 43 Home Runs and thats with a rather long slump at the end of the year...remember April and MAy Yikes. Yes he has had his problems with drugs and alcohol but it really has not affected his baseball abilities and he has a track record of sticking to his programs and not relapsing. He is 31 and still has 2 or 3 years at the end of his prime and Even when he is no longer in his prime he will be much better than most. And the thing that I didnt think about until the other day is, How long is Big Papi's contract. When are we going to need a new DH, one with the same Papi, Home run big game skill set. Just mull that over before you start steaming if Josh gets signed which, http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/jon-heyman/20993439/will-red-sox-enter-the-bidding-for-josh-hamilton 

I still  have my hang ups and as I stated before, dont want the Red Sox to sign him. He has injury and fielding problems, the media and fans will get to him at times, and we will probably have to eat a year where hes not Josh Hamilton any more. But having Josh for the near future would make the team better and isnt that the point of free agents? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Lets Be Honest

Well, by reading couple MLB rumors, Seattle, Milwaukee, Atlanta and Baltimore are these so far teams that have been mentioned about a possible signing Hamilton.  Would one of them is willing give Hamilton the 7 years/175mm contract.  I doubt it.  Also he probably rather to go to a team that have a good chance to win it all.  Meaning Hamilton could rule out few teams above.   I strongly think that Hamilton is right now being frustrated cuz he may not be getting any offers that is close to his demand.

I do not mind Boston snooping in and just give him 4 years contract for like 20 to 22 mm a year!!

He can play LF.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Hamilton had no issues with drugs, injuries, all those negative stuff, then teams will pay him what he wants.  He might get even more.  But he has some non-baseball related problems AND baseball related problems.  I think no one complains about his talent.  The more GM pays for a player, the more responsibility GM has.  But if you dream for a second and imagine Sox pour in $$$ since they have flexibility AND send few of our elite prospect and get Stanton, it's really exciting lineup with Hamilton-Stanton-Oritz-Middlebrooks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I do not mind if Boston signs Hamilton.  But the max would be at 3 years, $75 million.  

When it comes to free agency, nothing surprises me anymore.

Remember when Roger Clemens signed with the Blue Jays?  *shaking my head*

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I don't mind if they sign Hamilton, Sox should offer him 4 yrs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

4yrs + 2yrs of team options.  Sox don't necessarily have to pick up those options if don't want to..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't want us to overpay, and that's what it will take to get him, Josh Hamilton, but if we do, I'd understand the reason why. I won't claim it will "cripple us for X amount of years" like I said the day we signed CC, but I do think there are better ways to get a quality younger big bat to bat 4th.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks' comment:
    [QUOTE]

And I mean really think about it. Would it really be a bad thing if the Sox sign Josh Hamilton? Would anyone really come on this board and complain and give Ben and company a hard time about it. Now Dont get me wrong I dont want them to do it. That being said and I was thinking about it yesterday, my reaction to the signing if it were to happen would be.... Alright this team just got better. Lets look at the facts, hes two years off of an MVP season. Even tho he went through a slump at the end hes STILL an MVP candidate this year and will receive some first place (though not many, maybe none who knows) votes. The guy hit 43 Home Runs and thats with a rather long slump at the end of the year...remember April and MAy Yikes. Yes he has had his problems with drugs and alcohol but it really has not affected his baseball abilities and he has a track record of sticking to his programs and not relapsing. He is 31 and still has 2 or 3 years at the end of his prime and Even when he is no longer in his prime he will be much better than most. And the thing that I didnt think about until the other day is, How long is Big Papi's contract. When are we going to need a new DH, one with the same Papi, Home run big game skill set. Just mull that over before you start steaming if Josh gets signed which, http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/jon-heyman/20993439/will-red-sox-enter-the-bidding-for-josh-hamilton 

I still  have my hang ups and as I stated before, dont want the Red Sox to sign him. He has injury and fielding problems, the media and fans will get to him at times, and we will probably have to eat a year where hes not Josh Hamilton any more. But having Josh for the near future would make the team better and isnt that the point of free agents? 

[/QUOTE]

Have the owners ever thought about this??? Don't offer  anything to these josh Hamilton type free agents and let them wonder about what they really are worth.Every owner say no thanks and just move on to someone willing to play for a good paycheck.Can the owners bring the market down and let the next Carl Crawford wash cars for a living? Once they think their  bigger then the game let them walk hand in hand with their Agents. Baseball is way better then Ellsbury licking his wounds all year and wanting to go to the hightest bidder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Have the owners ever thought about this??? Don't offer  anything to these josh Hamilton type free agents and let them wonder about what they really are worth.Every owner say no thanks and just move on to someone willing to play for a good paycheck.Can the owners bring the market down and let the next Carl Crawford wash cars for a living? Once they think their  bigger then the game let them walk hand in hand with their Agents. Baseball is way better then Ellsbury licking his wounds all year and wanting to go to the hightest bidder.

[/QUOTE]

I think the players union would consider that collusion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Collusion is probably never a good idea, especially when the players belong to arguably the strongest union in the world.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dblock33644. Show dblock33644's posts

if your going to go short term go likr 2 years 60 million. do not give him long term

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pelosireturns. Show pelosireturns's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:Funny
    [QUOTE]Speculation starting that Red Sox will enter Hamilton market

By Jon Heyman | Baseball Insider

November 15, 2012 10:35 am ET

Boston wants to do something big and it wouldn't shock me if they became players for Josh Hamilton,'' one competing GM said.

Red Sox owner John Henry gave a succinct answer when asked what he'd like to do this winter.

"Improve the team,'' he said.

The Red Sox have all but ruled out Zack Greinke. They don't believe he's right for their market, though don't feel too sorry for Greinke, as he'll have the Angels, Dodgers, Rangers and many others pursuing him.

The Red Sox admit they are giving some thought to Hamilton. They need two outfielders, and the belief has been that they are more inclined to fill multiple holes with multiple medium-priced players than go for the big splash in the wake of the failure that was the Carl Crawford contract.

maybe he can toss a ball to pike

[/QUOTE]

Funny!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do not mind if Boston signs Hamilton.  But the max would be at 3 years, $75 million.  

When it comes to free agency, nothing surprises me anymore.

Remember when Roger Clemens signed with the Blue Jays?  *shaking my head*

[/QUOTE]

+1; @ 3 years max it's probably a good signing. I'd be the first to complain about a longer deal than that though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Is Hamilton even worth 3-75? I don't think so.

The last two seasons, he has put up pretty unspectacular WAR's of 4.1-4.4 from FG and 3.5-3.4 from BR. Are those the numbers of a 25 million dollar player? Its more like a 18 million dollar player.

What impact does moving from CF to the corner OF permanently have on his value?

He plays in one of the 3 best parks to hit in from the left side.

Last year there was a scary increase in his K rate.  From 17.3 to 25.5%. And his numbers the second half of the season were even worse, including just a .833 OPs and a 29% K rate.

Age. He will be 32 in the middle of next year.

A career OPS in the playoffs of .720.

Then there is his health. Both physical as well as emotional. He had some issues as recently as last season with both.

I would not mess with Hamilton. He is over rated. Getting old. And has lots of bags.

He is a 3-50 player who somebody will foolishly offer a lot more for. I hope its not the Red Sox.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]Speculation starting that Red Sox will enter Hamilton market

By Jon Heyman | Baseball Insider

November 15, 2012 10:35 am ET

Boston wants to do something big and it wouldn't shock me if they became players for Josh Hamilton,'' one competing GM said.

Red Sox owner John Henry gave a succinct answer when asked what he'd like to do this winter.

"Improve the team,'' he said.

The Red Sox have all but ruled out Zack Greinke. They don't believe he's right for their market, though don't feel too sorry for Greinke, as he'll have the Angels, Dodgers, Rangers and many others pursuing him.

The Red Sox admit they are giving some thought to Hamilton. They need two outfielders, and the belief has been that they are more inclined to fill multiple holes with multiple medium-priced players than go for the big splash in the wake of the failure that was the Carl Crawford contract.

maybe he can toss a ball to pike

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But he hasn't played in Boston yet.  Some of this crowd could have provoked Orel Hershiser into using hard drugs after a couple of bad outings.  And I'm sure they'll be a great outpouring of support from Softy and the Lynch Mob if he falls off the wagon.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If the Sox sogned Hamilton, I would cetainly cheer for the guy and hope he was spectacular.  I guess I just won't be one of those fans who cries and moans when the GM ignores my suggestins and warnings, and feels it necessary to harp on any and every out made by the player I did not advocate for.

(Speaking of warnings, has andrewmitch come back yet, or can we assume he is gone until boston.com adds the ignore feature?  Oh irony of ironies - the purpose of the ignore feature is to make a poster disappear.  In this case the lack of an ignore feature did.   Keep up the status quo, BDC!)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Sox sogned Hamilton, I would cetainly cheer for the guy and hope he was spectacular.  I guess I just won't be one of those fans who cries and moans when the GM ignores my suggestins and warnings, and feels it necessary to harp on any and every out made by the player I did not advocate for.

(Speaking of warnings, has andrewmitch come back yet, or can we assume he is gone until boston.com adds the ignore feature?  Oh irony of ironies - the purpose of the ignore feature is to make a poster disappear.  In this case the lack of an ignore feature did.   Keep up the status quo, BDC!)

[/QUOTE]

I was thinkin' the same thing.  I'm hoping he does come back so those of us among the vast cavalcade of amitch abusers can have a good go at it and bombard him with logic (and, of course, abuse).  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But he hasn't played in Boston yet.  Some of this crowd could have provoked Orel Hershiser into using hard drugs after a couple of bad outings.  And I'm sure they'll be a great outpouring of support from Softy and the Lynch Mob if he falls off the wagon.  

[/QUOTE]

I think you think Hamilton is softer than he is.  Did he relapse after throwing that baseball to the fireman who fell trying to catch it?  If THAT did not set him off, I seriously doubt hearing a few boos and some overly critical blogs are going to mean all that much to him...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I had always said no, but I was also figuring he'd be looking for $175M/7.  If we're only looking to compete against mid-market teams, and the price tag comes down to $80M/4, I'm inclined to think we should do it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I had always said no, but I was also figuring he'd be looking for $175M/7.  If we're only looking to compete against mid-market teams, and the price tag comes down to $80M/4, I'm inclined to think we should do it.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like 75/3 better. He might even be worth the contract on a 3 year deal. Are the Yankees really not in on this guy? He would kill in the Bronx.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

75/3 is better than 80/4????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

75/3 is better than 80/4????

[/QUOTE]

Shorter deal. So yes, in my book 75/3 is better than 80/4. IMNSHO the 4th year of a Hamilton deal is a little iffy.