Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols.

What if the Sox didn't trade for Gonzo and didn't sign Crawford.  Instead they re-signed Beltre; used prospects to trade for Upton, Kemp, or Quentin; spent big money on Pujols in 2012, letting Papi walk or trading Youk.  Would this have been better?  Would it have worked?

Beltre is injury prone, but would have playing first kept Youk healthier.  Tough to really jump at this scenario since Sox have had a great year, but interesting to discuss.  And I know that "if  ifs and buts were candy and nuts..."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols.

I would rather the Sox brass use all that Pujols/Beltre/Gonzalez/Crawford money to pay scientists/voodoo high priests (and for all necessary materials) on the vanguard of human re-animation.  Then, we re-animate Mays and Ruth and make them the most fearson 3-4 of all time.  And, since i don't think zombies/androids are covered under the current collective bargaining agreement, I don't think they would count towards lux tax.  In fact, no need to even pay them.  Though I imagine a zombie or zombie/cyborg Ruth would be costly in hot dogs and booze, or braaaiins.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Then, we re-animate Mays and Ruth and make them the most fearson 3-4 of all time. 

not very likely to happen spaceman

now ted might be a different story ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Spaceman, you sure have the right forum name.  I had the privilege of playing catch with Bill Lee many years ago; quite a good curve ball - almost made me look foolish. Why not just use Bill's private stash to help further your research.  I'll always hate cowardly Craig Nettles and cheap shot artist Mickey Rivers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols.:
    [QUOTE]Spaceman, you sure have the right forum name.  I had the privilege of playing catch with Bill Lee many years ago; quite a good curve ball - almost made me look foolish. Why not just use Bill's private stash to help further your research.  I'll always hate cowardly Craig Nettles and cheap shot artist Mickey Rivers.
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

Thugs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE] Then, we re-animate Mays and Ruth and make them the most fearson 3-4 of all time.  not very likely to happen spaceman now ted might be a different story ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

You do realize that the Sox gave Willie Mays a brief try out, and passed on signing him. How about a line-up with Williams hitting third and Mays  in that ball park hitting fourth. Ted probably would've hit 400 again and Mays would have hit 800 career HR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

What if Boston didnt get Beckett/Lowell, what if Boston didnt get Schilling, and got A-Rod instead, what if Boston trade almost Bucholtz or Lester, etc.

We can go on and on.  Come on, there is no perfect team in MLB.

We should be happy about that!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from <).TheBabe.(>. Show <).TheBabe.(>'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols. :    You do realize that the Sox gave Willie Mays a brief try out, and passed on signing him. How about a line-up with Williams hitting third and Mays  in that ball park hitting fourth. Ted probably would've hit 400 again and Mays would have hit 800 career HR.

Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Because they were a bunch of racists, same reason they passed on Jackie Robinson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

They also let PeeWee Reese go. That was past history and is now iirelevant. It's been discussed too many times already in here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols.:
    [QUOTE]What if the Sox didn't trade for Gonzo and didn't sign Crawford.  Instead they re-signed Beltre; used prospects to trade for Upton, Kemp, or Quentin; spent big money on Pujols in 2012, letting Papi walk or trading Youk.  Would this have been better?  Would it have worked? Beltre is injury prone, but would have playing first kept Youk healthier.  Tough to really jump at this scenario since Sox have had a great year, but interesting to discuss.  And I know that "if  ifs and buts were candy and nuts..."
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

First off it, there's no garantee that we would or could sign Puljos vs the sure thing in aquiring Gonzalez...Who's a perfect fit and the impact middle of the order bat we've been seeking since Manny went AWOL...

So the long answer to a short question. The aquistion of Gonzalez for three prospects, is a much better roster move than gambling on the signing of Puljos.

Youk & Beltre at the corners would've been fine, Gonzalez and Youk is better. What we give up on the defensive side @ 3B is more than made up with the sticks and that Gonzalez bats lefty to Youk's righty helps to balance our lineup...The reality is that Beltre is not a prototypical middle of the order bat that'll hit in the 3 or 4 hole strikes out too much and doesn't walk enough. He's better suited to hit 5th or 6th....

As for Upton and Kemp...why would the Dodgers or the Diamondbacks want to trade either and if they did it's not a matter of if we could put together a compelling enough offer, but rather would it match either teams needs. Long or short term...Quentin's another story he could be had if and when the White Sox decide to finally blow up thier team...

It's still to early to write off Crawford, I would've preferred Werth, but not at the price the Nationals paid...Kemp will be a free agent after 2012 so he could still be someone on the Sox radar, frankly I think he's too valueable a commodity for the Dodgers and once thier ownership issue is taken care of? I could see the new owners tossing some cash his way and making him an offer he won't refuse...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from <).TheBabe.(>. Show <).TheBabe.(>'s posts

[QUOTE]They also let PeeWee Reese go. That was past history and is now iirelevant. It's been discussed too many times already in here.

Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Maybe for you pike but maybe others wish to discuss it. If you don't like the subject matter simply move to another thread. Nobody is holding a gun to your head (As good as that may sound to most of us) and forcing you to read this thread. And past history is not irrelevant otherwise they wouldn't teach it in school.

Don't you have to go back to playing cops and robbers?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols. : Because they were a bunch of racists, same reason they passed on Jackie Robinson.
    Posted by <).TheBabe.( />[/QUOTE]

Revistionist history...the Sox I believe actually intergrated before the Yanks and if I am not mistaken the Phillies were the last team to do so...

Yawkey was a South Carolina good old boy, who never hid his feelings about race. Even stating aloud to the press that he'd never allow a <insert N-word /> to play for the Sox...Thankfully those are days gone bye.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols. : Because they were a bunch of racists, same reason they passed on Jackie Robinson.

And yet the Yankees minor league team proudly displayed the Confederate Flag on their Unis as well as the stadium in 1964

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from <).TheBabe.(>. Show <).TheBabe.(>'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols. : Revistionist history...the Sox I believe actually intergrated before the Yanks and if I am not mistaken the Phillies were the last team to do so... Yawkey was a South Carolina good old boy, who never hid his feelings about race. Even stating aloud to the press that he'd never allow a <insert N-word /> to play for the Sox...Thankfully those are days gone bye.

Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

You are sadly mistaken. The red flops were the last team to integrate 4 years after the Yanks and 2 years after the phillies when they signed pumpsie green in 1959.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

With Mays, Robinson, and Reese on the team perhaps we could have won more pennants during the 1950s. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols. : You are sadly mistaken. The red flops were the last team to integrate 4 years after the Yanks and 2 years after the phillies when they signed pumpsie green in 1959.

You are correct...my appologies...should've checked the facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_color_line

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Other than Elston Howard, who were the great Yankee African-Americans?  Later Roy White and my favorite big nosed Horace Clarke.  I liked those years because the Yanks didn't win much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from <).TheBabe.(>. Show <).TheBabe.(>'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols. : You are correct...my appologies...should've checked the facts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_color_line

Here is a cool article about how the current ownership is trying to change the way the team and the community is viewed.

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/oct/redsox/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

It wasn't the curse of the Bambino, it was the curse of Tom Yawkey who kept the Sox from winning until '04.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

PlayerTeamDate [1]
    Jackie RobinsonBrooklyn Dodgers, NLApril 15, 1947
    Larry DobyCleveland Indians, ALJuly 5, 1947
    Hank ThompsonSt. Louis Browns, ALJuly 17, 1947
    Willard BrownSt. Louis Browns, ALJuly 19, 1947
    Monte IrvinNew York Giants, NLJuly 8, 1949
    Hank Thompson
    Sam JethroeBoston Braves, NLApril 18, 1950
    Minnie MiñosoChicago White Sox, ALMay 1, 1951
    Bob TricePhiladelphia Athletics, ALSept. 13, 1953
    Ernie BanksChicago Cubs, NLSept. 17, 1953
    Curt RobertsPittsburgh Pirates, NLApril 13, 1954
    Tom AlstonSt. Louis Cardinals, NLApril 13, 1954
    Nino EscaleraCincinnati Reds, NLApril 17, 1954
    Chuck Harmon[2]
    Carlos PaulaWashington Senators, ALSept. 6, 1954
    Elston HowardNew York Yankees, ALApril 14, 1955
    John KennedyPhiladelphia Phillies, NLApril 22, 1957
    Ozzie Virgil, Sr.Detroit Tigers, ALJune 6, 1958
    Pumpsie GreenBoston Red Sox, ALJuly 21, 1959

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from <).TheBabe.(>. Show <).TheBabe.(>'s posts

[QUOTE]Other than Elston Howard, who were the great Yankee African-Americans?  Later Roy White and my favorite big nosed Horace Clarke.  I liked those years because the Yanks didn't win much.

Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

Most teams at that point only had a couple of African Americans on their roster so the chances that any team would have more than one that would be considered great is pretty slim.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols. : Here is a cool article about how the current ownership is trying to change the way the team and the community is viewed. http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/oct/redsox/

that was a good read...thanks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from <).TheBabe.(>. Show <).TheBabe.(>'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols. : that was a good read...thanks

No prob.......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Lets Play What If - Starring Albert Pujols.:
    [QUOTE]What if the Sox didn't trade for Gonzo and didn't sign Crawford.  Instead they re-signed Beltre; used prospects to trade for Upton, Kemp, or Quentin; spent big money on Pujols in 2012, letting Papi walk or trading Youk.  Would this have been better?  Would it have worked? Beltre is injury prone, but would have playing first kept Youk healthier.  Tough to really jump at this scenario since Sox have had a great year, but interesting to discuss.  And I know that "if  ifs and buts were candy and nuts..."
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

What if you didn't start this stupid post !!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Oh donrod,

what if "Babe" whisked you away to a quiet country villa in Spain where the two of you sipped wine, ate tapas, and played footsie all day long.