Let's Sweep the Rays and their Fair Weather Fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Let's Sweep the Rays and their Fair Weather Fans

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Maddon says he wants to return to Boston for game 5 as it is pretty this time of year. Unfortunately, if we don't sweep the A's or Tigers 4-0, Game 5 will be in Cal or Michigan as format 2 at home, 3 away and 2 at home.  Sorry Joe !!!

He talked too much in the past two weeks.  First two times, he may be right, but the last two times, he is all wrong.  The Boston team already took his words seriously for the whole time, and now they are going to take his words and shove it in his mouth once Boston pound them again for the third time!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Is the devotion of Red Sox fans to the exclusion of life's other matters a good thing?

I admire the product the Rays have produced since 2008 and care little about their home attendance.

I agree with you Hill. Friedman has done a superb job as GM there with the resources he has available. Their stadium is not fit for MLB though, and their fans do not deserve a winning team. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for their players to go out there every night and maintain focus with an empty ball park or a home ball park filled with fans of the other team. I have no problems with the Rays winning if we do not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I would guess that the % of fans at the Sox-Tampa games are 35%-65%. Sox & Yankees too have expats all over the US. I went to A T& T park on a day Doubrount won easily 12-1 vs Zito. I would estimate of the 40000+ fans, that 1/4 or 25% were wearing Boston insigna attire. Groups of us even did the wave and at the end of the 8th inning, of course 1/2 Giants fans had exited, we sang "Sweet Caroline". Some were expats but many I talked to at the Sports Bars came out for the week to then go to LA where Crawford was looking for a sweep and we won 2/3 as we did the Giants. If we play the A's & Dodgers win, I expect many fans to fly out to the beautiful Bay Area & then go down to (UGH!!!), tinsel town. But I don't know how many fans want to leave Beautiful Boston this time of year as Maddon said (foliage change and all) to go to the Tampa Bay area. Of course, I'm prejudiced to our Bay Area, nice, quaint & beautiful like Boston. OH, OH, feel like a travel agent more than a baseball fan...mea culpa.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But I don't know how many fans want to leave Beautiful Boston this time of year as Maddon said (foliage change and all) to go to the Tampa Bay area. 

It's only for 2 days and maybe 3 nights.

The main thing is that there are already tens of thousands of transplanted Sox fans living in Florida. They will be the ones going. Just like I go see my Sox everytime the come to Houston and most of the times they come to play the Rangers.

Sox4ever

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Pike-is-harmiess' comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

What I detest the most about the Rays is their fans. They haven't supported their team at all, yet there will be 40,000 blowhards in the crowd tomorrow cheering with their cowbells as though they've supported their team all year.

I get tired of their fair weather fans.

Sweep them Sox.

This forum has NEVER had fair weather fans - especially ADG and Bill.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree pike. And its especially annoying when resident posters on here take up monikers posing as fans of other teams, that can REALLY get the blood pressure rising around here!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It ain't that easy building a great fan base, especially for MLB and even more for MLB in Florida, where it's played indoors.  Washington DC is now on it's third franchise.  The first one went to Minnesota where it is still doing well, and the second one is in Arlington, TX and definitely flourishing.  Now, however, the Nationals are averaging over 30K per game for the season and not just this season.  Down in Tampa, they average under 20K for lots of good reasons--smaller population, horrible ball park, other nice things to do in the Florida weather, other sports, etc.  . 

I continue to be amazed at the loyalty of Boston Red Sox fans, not that they aren't supporting a quality team, because they are.  But MLB teams play 81 home games, for crying out loud, whereas an NFL team plays 8.  During the 9 year sold out streak, the Sox averaged 36K or 37K for every single game.  In fact, I think the smaller ballpark helped because it meant even the lousy visiting teams could sell out.  But, if you can average 37,037 per game at Fenway, that's 3 million tickets for the season at premium prices, plus concession profits and parking profits.  Plus, of course, the TV and radio markets and now the internet market (which I am part of).  But it takes time and the right place. 

All that aside, the Rays are a tough team to beat and have proven it for several seasons in a row.  They also have a good manager.  This year they have been more of a worthy adversary than the Yankees, and they very definitely earned their way into the ALDS.  I want to sweep them, but see no need to sneer at them. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

It ain't that easy building a great fan base, especially for MLB and even more for MLB in Florida, where it's played indoors.  Washington DC is now on it's third franchise.  The first one went to Minnesota where it is still doing well, and the second one is in Arlington, TX and definitely flourishing.  Now, however, the Nationals are averaging over 30K per game for the season and not just this season.  Down in Tampa, they average under 20K for lots of good reasons--smaller population, horrible ball park, other nice things to do in the Florida weather, other sports, etc.  . 

I continue to be amazed at the loyalty of Boston Red Sox fans, not that they aren't supporting a quality team, because they are.  But MLB teams play 81 home games, for crying out loud, whereas an NFL team plays 8.  During the 9 year sold out streak, the Sox averaged 36K or 37K for every single game.  In fact, I think the smaller ballpark helped because it meant even the lousy visiting teams could sell out.  But, if you can average 37,037 per game at Fenway, that's 3 million tickets for the season at premium prices, plus concession profits and parking profits.  Plus, of course, the TV and radio markets and now the internet market (which I am part of).  But it takes time and the right place. 

All that aside, the Rays are a tough team to beat and have proven it for several seasons in a row.  They also have a good manager.  This year they have been more of a worthy adversary than the Yankees, and they very definitely earned their way into the ALDS.  I want to sweep them, but see no need to sneer at them. 

I still think the biggest reason the Rays can't draw a large fanbase is the cross-loyalties of the population, most of whcih are transplants from other areas with MLB teams- like New York and Boston.

Even in a huge metropolitan area like Houston, where I live now, a majority of the people living here moved here as adults or young adults and already had favorite teams. It's hard to get a person to change colors.

The park is not great, but I saw a couple games there a few years back, and it's still baseball. I enjoyed myself.

Yes, there are a lot of things to do around Tamp besides watch baseball, but most townies don't go to the big parks everyday. The indoor game is played in A/C.  They come to the games when the Yanks or Sox come to town, so that shows that the Yanks and Sox fans come to watch their team not the Rays.

There's enough baseball fans in the Tampa area- just not enough Rays fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

I still think the biggest reason the Rays can't draw a large fanbase is the cross-loyalties of the population, most of whcih are transplants from other areas with MLB teams- like New York and Boston.

Even in a huge metropolitan area like Houston, where I live now, a majority of the people living here moved here as adults or young adults and already had favorite teams. It's hard to get a person to change colors.

The park is not great, but I saw a couple games there a few years back, and it's still baseball. I enjoyed myself.

Yes, there are a lot of things to do around Tamp besides watch baseball, but most townies don't go to the big parks everyday. The indoor game is played in A/C.  They come to the games when the Yanks or Sox come to town, so that shows that the Yanks and Sox fans come to watch their team not the Rays.

There's enough baseball fans in the Tampa area- just not enough Rays fans.

[/QUOTE

Until that stadium is moved to Tampa, this will continue to be a problem. It seems to bother everyone else but the fans who go to the games. Makes me wonder why so many need to talk about it. Guess they have nothing else to contribute to the threads about baseball. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Back in the 70's, the Orioles and Pirates did not even sell out playoff games.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

The Rays should move to North Carolina, where baseball is appreciated at the lower league levels to a greater extent than MLB is appreciated in Tampa.

Then softy can become a fan of the "Carolina Fade Aways" or maybe the "Carolina Brokeback Mountain Men"...

Tongue Out

Sox4ever

Agree with you.  Both of the teams in Florida should move out of the area.  It won't happen to the Marlins since they just built a new ballpark.    Many other areas of the country would support a baseball franchise and have much better attendance than they do in Florida. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Back in the 70's, the Orioles and Pirates did not even sell out playoff games.

Sox4ever

didn't the 90's braves have some unsold tix to playoff games? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

Is the devotion of Red Sox fans to the exclusion of life's other matters a good thing?

I admire the product the Rays have produced since 2008 and care little about their home attendance.

I agree with you Hill. Friedman has done a superb job as GM there with the resources he has available. Their stadium is not fit for MLB though, and their fans do not deserve a winning team. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for their players to go out there every night and maintain focus with an empty ball park or a home ball park filled with fans of the other team. I have no problems with the Rays winning if we do not.

Imagine playing in a city where the fans and media don't manufacture character flaws if a player does not perform up to expectations.

A modest percentage of Red Sox fans will heap abuse upon underperforming Red Sox players. Those fans might not represent the typical Sox fan, but it does not take many obnoxious fans (and media accounts) to make a player's life miserable.

16. This post has been removed.