Lineup & roster today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Lineup & roster today

We already know the 4 starters, that Farrell will go with 11 pitchers including Doubront, and that Bradley and McDonald are headed to Florida to stay in baseball shape.  So the likely roster is--

4 starters--Lester, Lackey, Buchholz, Peavy

7 relievers--Uehara, Breslow, Doubront, Dempster, Tazawa, Workman, Morales

14 positions players--Salty, Ortiz, Napoli, Pedroia, Drew, Middlebrooks, Gomes, Ellsbury, Victorino, Nava, Carp, Ross, Bogaerts, and Berry

And today's lineup against lefty Moore could be:  Ellsbury, Victorino, Pedroia, Ortiz, Napoli, Gomes, Drew, Saltalamacchia, Middlebrooks. It's possible Farrell will move Middlebrooks up to 6th or 7th, but Gomes and Drew have a big experience edge, plus Middlebrooks hitting has tailed off somewhat.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Lineup & roster today

Yup, Middy has been explosive right after his come back and he did it in the 9th hole.  He has been cooled off after moving up little bit.  I would put him in the 9th again today wherer he can take the pressure off and start offense for top of the order.  

Ellsbury-Victorino-Pedroia-Ortiz-Napoli-Gomes-Salty-Drew-Middlebrooks

Batting 5th: 39AB .179/.220/.436/.655

Batting 6th: 56AB .143/.183/.214/.398

Batting 7th: 100AB .210/.231/.390/.621

Batting 8th: 86AB .209/.274/.453/.727

Batting 9th: 67AB .373/.425/.612/1.037

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

We already know the 4 starters, that Farrell will go with 11 pitchers including Doubront, and that Bradley and McDonald are headed to Florida to stay in baseball shape.  So the likely roster is--

14 positions players--Salty, Ortiz, Napoli, Pedroia, Drew, Middlebrooks, Gomes, Ellsbury, Victorino, Nava, Carp, Ross, Bogaerts, and Berry

And today's lineup against lefty Moore could be:  Ellsbury, Victorino, Pedroia, Ortiz, Napoli, Gomes, Drew, Saltalamacchia, Middlebrooks. It's possible Farrell will move Middlebrooks up to 6th or 7th, but Gomes and Drew have a big experience edge, plus Middlebrooks hitting has tailed off somewhat.   

Drew and Salty are both pretty bad vs LHPs. I'd like to see Drew dropped down to 8th and maybe Ross start one game out of the first two vs the lefties.

L Ells

S Vict

R Pedey

L Papi

R Naps

R Gomes

R Middy

L Drew

R Ross

(I'd even think of playing Bogey at SS vs a lefty for 1 of the first 2 games, maybe the one that Salty plays not Ross.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Drew should not start against Price.  Against Moore, yes but he's hapless against Price.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As much as I love the job Salty has done this year, he struggles mightily vs LHPs. 

I'd start Ross one of the first two playoff games.

He's 0-1 vs Moore.

He's 1-14 with a .319 OPS vs Price.

Sit Salty game 2.

Start Ross.

Drew is 0-10 vs Price with an .091 OPS.

Drew is 2 for 5 vs Moore with a 1.000 OPS.

Start Bogey.

Sit Drew game 2.

Sox4ever

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

It's comforting to know that Carp, instead of Bradley, is available for hitting RP, running, and fielding;) Great playoff roster call;)

The only thing keeping JBJ off this roster is his inability to hit and steal bases over than that he was a shoe-in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

As much as I love the job Salty has done this year, he struggles mightily vs LHPs. 

I'd start Ross one of the first two playoff games.

He's 0-1 vs Moore.

He's 1-14 with a .319 OPS vs Price.

Sit Salty game 2.

Start Ross.

Drew is 0-10 vs Price with an .091 OPS.

Drew is 2 for 5 vs Moore with a 1.000 OPS.

Start Bogey.

Sit Drew game 2.

Sox4ever

uh huh.....i've been saying this all along.......Boggy over Drew vs Price.......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think Farrell has already indicated Ross will get one of the 1st two games....I am guesing tomorrow vs Price....as for Bogey.....I also have been saying he needs to play tomorrow vs Price.....Drew has been overnatched vs Price.....but I dont think it will happen.....maybe if we win today, Farrell will feel a litle more comfortable to experiment but most likely he is going with the horses that got him the best Record in Baseball

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABSmoke. Show ABSmoke's posts

I too think Farrell will stick with Drew. He seems to be loyal to the veterans, Drew in particular. Hopefully Bogaerts plays a factor pinch hitting, though.

If it were up to me, I'd have Bogaerts start the game vs. Price, no matter the outcome of the first game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yup, you can't let Drew start against Price........He'll get in the game as soon as we get Price out of it.....that may have been a good reason to put MacD on the roster

Where is that ROSTER!???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Drew and Salty are both pretty bad vs LHPs. I'd like to see Drew dropped down to 8th and maybe Ross start one game out of the first two vs the lefties.

L Ells

S Vict

R Pedey

L Papi

R Naps

R Gomes

R Middy

L Drew

R Ross

(I'd even think of playing Bogey at SS vs a lefty for 1 of the first 2 games, maybe the one that Salty plays not Ross.)

Ross is useless. He should not start ANY game because he is an automatic out vs both RHP and LHP. Drew should sit vs Price and Bogey should get the start. Also, keeping Morales and Doubront on the roster is absolutely STUPID. Neither of them can get anyone out nowadays. Thornton was the correct choice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

If it were up to me I'd dance with the girl I brought to the dance.  There's no way I'd but Bogarts in the field in a playoff game.  I just don't trust his defense yet.

A bad AB by Drew is a bad AB but a bad fielding play by Bogarts is an extra out in an inning for the Rays, which can turn into several runs.  Drew has played unexpectedly well defensively and defense wins games. - or rather, bad defense loses games.   

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I claim zero credit on the roster because after yesterday it was obvious.

But not too shabby on picking the lineup. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

L Ells

S Vict

R Pedey

L Papi

R Naps

R Gomes

R Middy

L Drew

R Ross

Ross is useless. He should not start ANY game because he is an automatic out vs both RHP and LHP. Drew should sit vs Price and Bogey should get the start. Also, keeping Morales and Doubront on the roster is absolutely STUPID. Neither of them can get anyone out nowadays. Thornton was the correct choice.

Salty vs LHPs:  .218/.309/.318/.628 (Career: .599)

Ross vs LHPs: .259/.322/.481/.804 (Career .767)

Ross has not been an "automatic out vs LHPs.

Couple this fact with the horrible Salty numbers vs Price ( 1-14 with a .319 OPS vs Price). and it's worth a shot. I'm not saying I expect Ross to light up Price, but he has a abetter chance of doing something good than Salty does.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is it for today...

RED SOX (0-0)
    Ellsbury CF
    Victorino RF
    Pedroia 2B
    Ortiz DH
    Napoli 1B
    Gomes LF
    Saltalamacchia C
    Drew SS
    Middlebrooks 3B
    Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (15-8, 3.75).

RAYS (0-0)
    Jennings CF
    Zobrist 2B
    Myers RF
    Longoria 3B
    Young DH
    Rodriguez LF
    Escobar SS
    Loney 1B
    Lobaton C
    Pitching: LHP Matt Moore (17-4, 3.29).

I'd have had Middy and Drew swapped and maybe even Middy in front of Salty vs the lefty.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

The excitement mounts!  Need a big hit from Papi today!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

This is it for today...

RED SOX (0-0)
    Ellsbury CF
    Victorino RF
    Pedroia 2B
    Ortiz DH
    Napoli 1B
    Gomes LF
    Saltalamacchia C
    Drew SS
    Middlebrooks 3B
    Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (15-8, 3.75).

RAYS (0-0)
    Jennings CF
    Zobrist 2B
    Myers RF
    Longoria 3B
    Young DH
    Rodriguez LF
    Escobar SS
    Loney 1B
    Lobaton C
    Pitching: LHP Matt Moore (17-4, 3.29).

I'd have had Middy and Drew swapped and maybe even Middy in front of Salty vs the lefty.

Sox4ever

I agree 100%....I'm a bit shocked WMB is 9.....but heck....I'm also not the coach of a 97 win team!!