Lineup: Lowrie at short, McDonald in right

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Lineup: Lowrie at short, McDonald in right

Here are the lineups:

RED SOX (71-43)
    Ellsbury CF
    Pedroia 2B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Youkilis 3B
    Ortiz DH
    Lowrie SS
    Crawford LF
    Varitek C
    McDonald RF

Pitching: LHP Erik Bedard (4-7, 3.55)

TWINS (51-64)
    Revere CF
    Mauer 1B
    Cuddyer 2B
    Kubel RF
    Thome DH
    Valencia 3B
    Young LF
    Nishioka SS
    Butera C

Pitching: LHP Francisco Liriano (7-9, 5.03)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Lineup: Lowrie at short, McDonald in right

I'm all into the short sample sizes of players, but this is a Jimy lineup. You sit the right-handed hitting, hot-hitting Scutaro because of a 1-for-9? Geeeez, how bout a bigger sample size before sitting 8-for-11 guy...unbelievable. Look, I hope Lowrie goes 4-for-4, but this is just wrong. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox0426. Show redsox0426's posts

I wonder what lineup will look like with Salty, Reddick, Lowrie all playing. The closest we got to this was last night, but Youk was out, and Crawford batted 2nd, which will not be happening often. 

Here is what I think lineup should look like from here on in:

1. Ellsbury
    2. Pedroia
    3. A-Gon
    4. Youk
    5. Ortiz
    6. Crawford
    7. Saltalamacchia 
    8. Reddick
    9. Lowrie

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

wait, you are honestly dumping Scutaro? Say what?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tough crowd. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like the way DMac is swining the bat vs LHPs, but his fielding in RF is scary. I think Scutty should have played tonight. You don't sit a guy as hot as he is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Lineup: Lowrie at short, McDonald in right:
    [QUOTE]I like the way DMac is swining the bat vs LHPs, but his fielding in RF is scary. I think Scutty should have played tonight. You don't sit a guy as hot as he is.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

agreed

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

How is Lowrie supposed to get enough playing time improve his post DL form?
    You want to sit Youk again?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He should only play when someone needs rest or if Scutty tanks it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I got heat for defending McDonald on the release Drew thread, but I really think he is a great caddy. The fact that he went 2-for-3 with a dinger is just gravy, bonus Sox dollars. He can pinch run, and play fill-in defense and hit against a lefty SP. If you don't like that in utility, and you want Drew to take his spot, then I have some JD Drew rookie cards I liked to sell you at 25x the market price.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Lowrie playing for Scutaro was...well, Jimyesque on Tito's part. But the Sox won, and that is all that matters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think DMac has gotten on base in 14 of his last 29 PAs.

Now, if he could just learn how to play RF well ...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

There is a fine line between playing somebody until they cool off and cooling them off by playing them until they drop. Over the years Francona has proven to have a pretty good touch with that and just like tonight his teams seem to win often even when he does what the rest of us never would.

Sunday was a marathon and with the travel Monday came very quickly. Scoot is a 35 year old player. Maybe, just maybe Terry wants to keep him fresh?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

five, that actually was a statement used by fans to defend Jimy's wacky and wild lineup changes. But here's the thing. The guy was on fire!!!!!! You don't sit guys on fire!!!! 8-for-11!!!! Swinging the stick like Ty Cobb....He sat him for one reason, and it wasn't about resting him. It was about him being 1-for-9 v. Liriano. That was his justification. I think it's too small a sample size. However, the Sox won, and that is all that matters.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I remember a guy going 4-for-4 in Jimy's platoon system, and then not playing for 5 straight days after that 4-for-4...Beyond me why guys sit when they are hitting. We just touched on the whole "hot hand" theory, and Tito is pretty good about that. Should be the same for Scutaro at 8-for-11.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Cater is a huge Bruins fan. Do you sit the third line when the first line is hot?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

pike, no it's a different sport where you play your 4 lines (if you have 4 lines) and everyone plays. In baseball, you play your best 9 if you can or the 9 you feel can help you win. Obviously there are times to rest guys, and there are times to sit guys, but Marco Scutaro was sat for performance statistics v. a certain pitcher. He wasn't sat down because he was tired, or because he was overworked, and believe me, you can bet he was itching to play the way he has bashed the ball last few games. Bad time to sit him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It might also have distracted him. Is Scutty now looking over his shoulder?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffh102082. Show jeffh102082's posts

[QUOTE]I got heat for defending McDonald on the release Drew thread, but I really think he is a great caddy. The fact that he went 2-for-3 with a dinger is just gravy, bonus Sox dollars. He can pinch run, and play fill-in defense and hit against a lefty SP. If you don't like that in utility, and you want Drew to take his spot, then I have some JD Drew rookie cards I liked to sell you at 25x the market price.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Drew should be cut

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IN TITO I TRUST !!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Lineup: Lowrie at short, McDonald in right:
    [QUOTE]Here are the lineups: RED SOX (71-43) Ellsbury CF Pedroia 2B Gonzalez 1B Youkilis 3B Ortiz DH Lowrie SS Crawford LF Varitek C McDonald RF Pitching: LHP Erik Bedard (4-7, 3.55) TWINS (51-64) Revere CF Mauer 1B Cuddyer 2B Kubel RF Thome DH Valencia 3B Young LF Nishioka SS Butera C Pitching: LHP Francisco Liriano (7-9, 5.03)
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

If McD can continue chipping in, it should make next season much easier on Theo.  I know he really believes this team needs a productive RH bat in the lineup while Reddick and Kalish fight over RF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Seems many complain about how Terry rests people or how he doesn't rest people another can't win situation.

Yes Sctaro was hot but a late game against NY then they did not get in to Minn. until 5 AM. Lowrie is fresh rests Youk one night then Scutaro the next. Scutaro has been playing with a shoulder issue he is 37 and has played 11 str at SS. If he did it today Scutaro would have 2 days off with Thursday an off day, But Thursday is a travel day to Seattle. So I see Terry making sure all get an off day that interrupts all players the least.

Do not be surprised to see Pedroia sit tonight. Since he has had one off day since the AS break.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Lowrie was in the lineup because he's got better numbers against Liriano, and b/c he switch-hits.  That's my guess.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Seems many complain about how Terry rests people or how he doesn't rest people another can't win situation. Yes Sctaro was hot but a late game against NY then they did not get in to Minn. until 5 AM. Lowrie is fresh rests Youk one night then Scutaro the next. Scutaro has been playing with a shoulder issue he is 37 and has played 11 str at SS. If he did it today Scutaro would have 2 days off with Thursday an off day, But Thursday is a travel day to Seattle. So I see Terry making sure all get an off day that interrupts all players the least. Do not be surprised to see Pedroia sit tonight. Since he has had one off day since the AS break.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

jim, but that wasn't the reason Scutaro sat. If it was the reason, Tito would have said it...d'uh...it was becuase of a 1-for-9 history v. Liriano, and I think that it is way too small a sample size to sit a hot hitter in a pennant race.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It is both the splits and the need to be conservative with older players PT particularly in the dog days.

News flash. The RS won the game. Five games ago Francona was an idiot for not sitting Scoot to play Aviles, 10 games ago he was an idiot for not sitting him for Navvaro.

Just may be he isn't an idiot.