Lineup / Roster Things I Hope We Don't See but Probably will in the coming weeks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Lineup / Roster Things I Hope We Don't See but Probably will in the coming weeks

I'd like to get people's thoughts. I have two thoughts that come right to mind:

1. I hope Papi is fielding balls at first base every day until the West coast trip. I don't want to see Napoli at first during the Giants and Dodgers series. Papi needs to be there 5 out of 6 games. Can you imagine Papi out of the lineup with Napoli in there instead? It could be a bad trip.

2. I don't want to see Lavarnway sent down just because Ross is coming back. Lavarnway has earned the backup catcher role. What do we do next year? Ross is signed for 2014? He is due back on August 19th.

What are your thoughts? These are the first two that come to mind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: Lineup / Roster Things I Hope We Don't See but Probably will in the coming weeks

In response to ADG's comment:

I'd like to get people's thoughts. I have two thoughts that come right to mind:

1. I hope Papi is fielding balls at first base every day until the West coast trip. I don't want to see Napoli at first during the Giants and Dodgers series. Papi needs to be there 5 out of 6 games. Can you imagine Papi out of the lineup with Napoli in there instead? It could be a bad trip.

2. I don't want to see Lavarnway sent down just because Ross is coming back. Lavarnway has earned the backup catcher role. What do we do next year? Ross is signed for 2014? He is due back on August 19th.

What are your thoughts? These are the first two that come to mind.

1. I'd guess papi plays 4 out of 6, don't won't to push him to hard because of the achilles thing.

2. No way lavarnway stays up when Ross comes back. Your backup catcher is often better defensively then your starter, not worse.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Lineup / Roster Things I Hope We Don't See but Probably will in the coming weeks

No problem with Papi out there at 1B -- at least four of six.

As for Ross-Lavarnway. Ross did a great job with the pitchers and is very good defensively, so I have no problem with Ross getting back the No. 2 job.

I like Lavarnway, and he's done OK. But he hasn't exactly lit it up either. So that's less of an issue. Lavarnway can always come back up in two weeks. Don't underestimate the presence Ross brings when he's behind the plate. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yeah, he'll probably play 3 or 4.

Lol, Lava worse defensively than Salty?  When Salty is catching, it's green light on the basepaths time for the opposition.

Unfortunately, Lava will be sent back to the minors.  He does fine behind the plate, keeps baserunners honest, and gets timely hits and doesn't strike out as much as Salty.  Ross is quite good defensively, however, and has some power, though he hasn't hit for average at all thus far. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I think 4 out of 6 is a reasonable number for Papi to play 1B.  We'll need to also see what the pitching matchups look like.

Lavarnway needs to get regular playing time.  IMO, it is doing him little good to be sitting on the bench 6 days every week.  That aside, I prefer Ross as a back up over Lavarnway anyway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

As long as papi plays at least half the games. Id rather he play 4 of 6 though.

Ross is the better, and more experienced BU catcher and should be the one backing up Salty. Lav will be back in a couple weeks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I would have traded Lavarnway or Salty for a relief pitcher. How many young catchers do you need? You need a starter and a backup, usually the starter is your better bat, and your backup is a defensive guy who doesn't hit much. I'd keep Ross because he is the best defensive catcher the Sox have had since Mirabelli. They need some pitching depth badly, or even a backup infielder , in case Drew or Pedroia goes down with an injury.

I wouldn't consider putting Ortiz at first base any more than necessary. He has no range and his history of ankle injury makes him a liability ( not that Napoli or Carp are gold-glovers , but much better choices). Let's face it although Napoli has managed to become a dirty word in Boston ( with many of you) , the guy is our starting firstbaseman, and he had a red hot April ( everybody loved him then) and who knows if he might catch fire again down the stretch?...he certainly won't hit from the bench.

I am a believer that you play the hand you are dealt, don't change too many things in midstream....especially when your team has OVERACHEIVED at past the halfway point.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

1.  I guess it will depend on who's on the mound.  Righty on the mound, Ortiz gets the start, lefty on the mound, Napoli gets to start.  If Ortiz didn't have any recent injury history, it would be easy to see Ortiz start at least 4 games during that West coast trip regarless who's on the mound. 

2. I think Sox will look to extend Salty first before going to FA this winter.  Ross is clearly not a starter.  If Sox extend Salty, it will likely be same as this year with Salty catching 100+ games and Ross catching the rest.  Lava still has 2 options remaining.  bet he will start the 2014 at the Pawtucket or get traded in offseason.  Same goes to the scenario where Sox land a big name catcher via FA or trade for one.  I just don't see Lava and Ross splitting times.  I think Salty makes the most sense as of right now.  I hope Sox again kick the tires on Mauer though.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

1.  I guess it will depend on who's on the mound.  Righty on the mound, Ortiz gets the start, lefty on the mound, Napoli gets to start.

2. I think Sox will look to extend Salty first before going to FA this winter.  Ross is clearly not a starter.  If Sox extend Salty, it will likely be same as this year with Salty catching 100+ games and Ross catching the rest.  Lava still has 2 options remaining.  bet he will start the 2014 at the Pawtucket or get traded in offseason.  Same goes to the scenario where Sox land a big name catcher via FA or trade for one.  I just don't see Lava and Ross splitting times.  I think Salty makes the most sense as of right now.  I hope Sox again kick the tires on Mauer though.  

Mauer won't be catching much from this point on. His knees are already getting old.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Without a doubt, Ortiz will play first against righties in the coast games. Personally, I prefer Lavarnway over Ross. But it is a certainty that he will go to  Pawtucket when Ross returns. He will be back in September. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Napoli could catch a couple of games.  Just kidding.  I agree with playing Papi in 4 of 6 games for two reason--optimize his opportunities, but also use Carp, Nava, or even Napoli.  Ortiz is key, but not the only hitter in the lineup.

I'm not completely sold on the idea Salty can't throw out baserunners because some of that is on the pitchers.  When you watch the replays, you can see when the runners get big jumps and when they are simply very fast and are close to 2b by the time the catcher can throw.  Lavarnway is probably better, but not a whole lot better, and the same is true of Ross.  But Ross gets the nod because he is the veteran catcher, and Farrell and Ben C pretty much believe in veterans on this team and for this pennant race.  Meanwhile, I think Lavarnway had a good experience and quality if not quantity time at catcher.  Now he needs more time back at AAA.  This year, unlike last year, Lavarnway looked pretty confident at the plate, always a plus. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Some quick thoughts: Papi 5 games if theres an  off day in between...Ross must play as second catcher... Peddie needs a two days rest, maybe more, would prefer him hitting second...would seat Nava and platoon with Gomes and Carp...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Yeah, he'll probably play 3 or 4.

Lol, Lava worse defensively than Salty?  When Salty is catching, it's green light on the basepaths time for the opposition.

Unfortunately, Lava will be sent back to the minors.  He does fine behind the plate, keeps baserunners honest, and gets timely hits and doesn't strike out as much as Salty.  Ross is quite good defensively, however, and has some power, though he hasn't hit for average at all thus far. 

CS% is a tiny fraction of what a catcher brings to his role behind the plate.

Lava is way worse than Salty behind the plate right now.

Lava is way worse than Salty on offense vs RHPs.

It comes down to Lava's offense vs LHPs vs Ross' and their skillset behind the plate.

My choice is clear: Ross vs LHPs and Salty vs RHPs and Lava in AAA.

Next year, Salty may be gone. Then we can debate which 2 make the big club: Ross, Lava or Vazquez?

I'd start Papi at 1B 4 of the 6 games, hopefully if we face lefties (.735 OPS vs LHPs this year), and pinch hit him when possible the other 2 games. The Dodgers have several lefty starters: Kershaw, Ryu, and Capuano: the Giants have 2: Bumgarner and Zito.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Some quick thoughts: Papi 5 games if theres an  off day in between...Ross must play as second catcher... Peddie needs a two days rest, maybe more, would prefer him hitting second...would seat Nava and platoon with Gomes and Carp...

There is a day off between the Giants and Dodgers series, so I think Papi could start 5 games in 7 days (one gameday off).

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Papi plays a good first base. those who say otherwise haven't been watching the interleague play these past few years. Papi flashes the leather. If prince fielder can do it Papi DEFINITELY CAN do it... People overstate the difficulty of playing first base big time.

As for the second part it's a no brainer. Salty is the starter, Ross the backup. Lava is going down even though he wasn't bad and had some key hits too. He will come back up when rosters expand though and be a nice bat to turn to off the bench. Ditto Carp.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Ortiz just cannot be out of the lineup more than one game during the LA/SF road trip as the team just cannot have their best hitter sitting on the bench waiting for a chance to pinch hit.

This is not going to be an easy trip as the Rays have just found out.  Today's Globe mentioned that this current Sox road trip has not been terrible based on the fact that they have actually increased their eastern division lead, BUT that has only happened because the Rays have struggled against LA and SF.  What would make anyone think that the Sox are not going to struggle in the same way when they are out there and the Rays are playing against lesser opponents.

If they had another really good power hitter (Manny or even Bay) perhaps Ortiz could sit for three of these California games, but without such a hitter he MUST be in the lineup.

As many have mentioned already in this thread, Ross will be the back up as soon as he is eligible (and healthy enough) to come off the 60 day disabled list.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Sit Papi against Kershaw and Bumgarner.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to torgorocks' comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

Right, like Napoli's going to be able to hit these guys. But if Farrell only sits him for one game, than it might as well be against Kershaw. Nobody on the SOX or any other team is going to hit this guy anyway.

[/QUOTE]

that's when having a lineup from top to bottom full of tough outs comes in handy. sox hitters are going to fail to get on base ~60-70% of the time at least. At least they make pitchers work for their outs. Making their starts shorter and getting into a (usually) unpredictable bullpen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

As difficult as it is to watch Napoli these days, it's what the Red Sox have, and the replacement options may not be much better.  The best bet may just be to play him, albeit a little more sparingly, and hope he finds his groove.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

If the dodgers and giants stay on 

rotation kershaw and baumgardner 

will pitch right before their respective

Sox series

23. This post has been removed.