Looks like someone did not like the W E E I thread on LAVARNWAY .........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Looks like someone did not like the W E E I thread on LAVARNWAY .........

???????????????????????????????????     WHAT SAY YOU ???

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Looks like someone did not like the W E E I thread on LAVARNWAY .........

With every passing day, SALTY looks like  G O N E .......  This Larvarnway thing is not that FAR FETCHED !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Lavarnway's chances probably increase if he gets out from behind the plate. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Salty was much worse defensively when we got him from Texas than Lavarnway is now according to Fangraphs, and we gave Salty a chance at the job. Lavarnway is never going to be a Molina behind the plate, but he will make up for it with his bat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Salty was much worse defensively when we got him from Texas than Lavarnway is now according to Fangraphs, and we gave Salty a chance at the job. Lavarnway is never going to be a Molina behind the plate, but he will make up for it with his bat.

[/QUOTE]Thanks Pumpsie, I like his swing !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, the desire appears to be for a 1-2 year stopgap to Vazquez and/or Swihart.  If that is the case, a catcher getting by on OJT is not the most desirable commodity.

He is not even going to start at catcher in AAA this year.  Right now, he looks to be plan C or worse for starting in Boston, and the one thing he has in his favor is that he is already on the 40-man.  Really, he might be best served learning a new position or two (1B/LF) and catching on as a bench option/emergency catcher.  He would be a good luxury  to have at that point...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still don't see why we don't just give Salty the 3 or 4 year deal he wants. His familiarity with the current staff is a big plus.

We can always trade him after year 1, 2 or 3, as he will still be in his prime, and catchers are always a hot commodity.

I do think Salty is as good as gone. We started Ross over Salty when it counted, so I think that is telling. I hope we get Hanigan or Hundley as the stopgap catcher.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, the desire appears to be for a 1-2 year stopgap to Vazquez and/or Swihart.  If that is the case, a catcher getting by on OJT is not the most desirable commodity.

He is not even going to start at catcher in AAA this year.  Right now, he looks to be plan C or worse for starting in Boston, and the one thing he has in his favor is that he is already on the 40-man.  Really, he might be best served learning a new position or two (1B/LF) and catching on as a bench option/emergency catcher.  He would be a good luxury  to have at that point...

[/QUOTE]

^^THIS^^

get him a 1b mit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The alarming thing about Lavarnway is way his power mysteriously decreased last year. It is so troubling they should plan to move on without him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The guy hasn't played 1st since little league probably. He was an OF in college. Has never played 1st in the pros ever. People are saying he can't hit enough already. He might just as well stay a catcher rather than try to learn a totally new position at this point where his bat will be even more challenged.

The guy is intelligent at least. He throws at least as well as Salty. More work with balls in the dirt and he should be fine. I absolutely would have no problem giving him a shot next year as the starter. This is a good team. We can carry a couple guys at the start of the year until we find out what we have. Save the cash. Who knows, we might just have something there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The guy hasn't played 1st since little league probably. He was an OF in college. Has never played 1st in the pros ever. People are saying he can't hit enough already. He might just as well stay a catcher rather than try to learn a totally new position at this point where his bat will be even more challenged.

The guy is intelligent at least. He throws at least as well as Salty. More work with balls in the dirt and he should be fine. I absolutely would have no problem giving him a shot next year as the starter. This is a good team. We can carry a couple guys at the start of the year until we find out what we have. Save the cash. Who knows, we might just have something there.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure we can "carry a couple guys". We will be having some major stepdowns at a position or two other than catcher.

I'm mostly worried about the step down our staff would be taking with Lava running the show. We have too much money wrapped up in our rotation to risk it all on Lava playing 2 out of every 3 games to start the season.

I get how Lava's offense is worth much more from the catching position than 1B, LF or DH, but Boston in 2014 is no place for on-the-job training at such a valuable psoition.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure we can "carry a couple guys". We will be having some major stepdowns at a position or two other than catcher.

I'm mostly worried about the step down our staff would be taking with Lava running the show. We have too much money wrapped up in our rotation to risk it all on Lava playing 2 out of every 3 games to start the season.

I get how Lava's offense is worth much more from the catching position than 1B, LF or DH, but Boston in 2014 is no place for on-the-job training at such a valuable psoition.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I've posted many times that I hate the idea of spending big money for a 1B, LF or DH (Ortiz being an exception for obvious reasons)....non-critical defensive issues, easy to find cheap options, etc.

But a wealthy and powerful team like the Sox....the reigning champions!.....giving the keys to the Bentley to Lava?  It's laughable.

The stupidest person on the internet may well believe that the 2016 Wall Street Intern of the Year is ready to manage the Sox' staff....but no one else does.  It would be wildly reckless - the exact opposite of his historic behavior - if Ben were to do such a ridiculous thing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You've got three Molina's--they are all pretty good. If you wanted a Molina BenC should have pulled the trigger before the Rays did when they recently resigned him. I want a Lavarnway to get a legit chance. We should know by May 1---I don't know but perhaps Ryan has more options or perhaps he will shock everyone in RS Nation and be a success.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I've posted many times that I hate the idea of spending big money for a 1B, LF or DH (Ortiz being an exception for obvious reasons)....non-critical defensive issues, easy to find cheap options, etc.

But a wealthy and powerful team like the Sox....the reigning champions!.....giving the keys to the Bentley to Lava?  It's laughable.

The stupidest person on the internet may well believe that the 2016 Wall Street Intern of the Year is ready to manage the Sox' staff....but no one else does.  It would be wildly reckless - the exact opposite of his historic behavior - if Ben were to do such a ridiculous thing.

[/QUOTE]

What do you have to do, trade Lava to the Astros and say be their catcher for 3 years and when you've proven yourself we will now pay you a $100 M to be our catcher? In Boston we bring in a guy like Ross and say here's Salty teach him how to catch. Then after he learns he throws a couple of balls away in the WS and we look for a new model for Ross to work with.Now we have Ross, Lavarnway, Vazquez and Butler--before Salty became a FA we had 5 catchers on last years 40. Do you think BenC is going out to bring in another catcher----I have my doubts. So this year Lava will be in Boston, Vaz and Butler at AAA and Swihart in Portland.

The Sox may trade for Hannigan or sign AJ but I think Ben goes with Lavarnway because he's an inexpensive option and he doesn't want to trade or release him and see another team find a diamond in the rough.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Said a year ago to have Lav play 1st.... multi-position dhould be required of all 1B/CA/3B players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Good Morning ALL.....  Good feed-back here.... Im sure BEN C. has his eye on this..... Salty is not coming back !!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its hardly "on the job training". Lavarnway has caught over 500 games in our minor league system and over 80 in the majors. Not that there is no room for improvement, but he couldn't ask for a better mentor in the person of David Ross. No one comes into a new catcher's job knowing all the pitchers and being able to field the position as well as hit the baseball-no one. There is a learning curve. If the price is right I would rather have Saltalamacchia back, but if he is demanding four years then I would hand him his coat and give Lavarnway the shot at the job that he deserves. I do not see a better alternative out there right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I'm not sure if JP Arencibia has been tendered but MLBTR has him on their list to be non tendered.

He has been a consistent 18-20 HR guy. If used in a platoon situation with Ross he may produce. If you doubt  Lava can do it take a a shot at at JP or Stewart of the Yanks--it appears he will be released tonight as well.

Lava is the guy we know--I agree with Pumpsie--go with him as the back-up and as long as Breslow is here--how can you beat having a Yale grad pitching to a Yale grad catcher?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The reasoning to change his position is A) versatility. If most scouts dont see him as a starting MLB catcher by now, chances are he wont be one. This also improves his chances of playing. B) His power and offense probably went south due to the demands put on a MLB catcher. Hes a big boy too, so Im sure between all the moving around, trying to learn the hitters and pitchers, hes lost one of his best atributes. His Power. C) Catchers are always good candidates for 1b. Especially a 6'4 230LB one. His body wont have to go through all that wear and tear, so theoretically, his power should improve.

Lavarnway is an offensive player. Catching has slowly taken that away from him. The Sox hoped that he could at least become an average to above average defensive catcher along with that great offense. Unfortunately his defense is still bad and his offense is suffering.

It would be doing him a big favor to try him at 1b, where I think he could find some success. We have next to nothing as far as promising 1b prospects. Travis Shaw is it. I want his bat back! 300BA 380OBP and 500SLG with 25-30HR. Thats what he was before trying to be a FT catcher. There are better and safer options out there for us at that position. Butler is a better option IMHO. At least his D is solid, hes praised by his pitchers and his offense looked good last year. Honestly, like my other thread says...If it came down to it, Id choose Butler over Lavarnway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its hardly "on the job training". Lavarnway has caught over 500 games in our minor league system and over 80 in the majors. Not that there is no room for improvement, but he couldn't ask for a better mentor in the person of David Ross. No one comes into a new catcher's job knowing all the pitchers and being able to field the position as well as hit the baseball-no one. There is a learning curve. If the price is right I would rather have Saltalamacchia back, but if he is demanding four years then I would hand him his coat and give Lavarnway the shot at the job that he deserves. I do not see a better alternative out there right now.

[/QUOTE]

He doesnt deserve anything because he hasnt earned anything. Pitchers dont feel comfortable with him which is why Salty was overworked this year. What makes you think Vets like Lester, lackey, Peavy and Demp are going to all of a sudeen feel good about him being back there? That will certainly affect their performance. Its a trainwreck waiting to happen.

IOf they do it and Im wrong I will galdly eat crow. But I doubt I am wrong on this one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He doesnt deserve anything because he hasnt earned anything. Pitchers dont feel comfortable with him which is why Salty was overworked this year. What makes you think Vets like Lester, lackey, Peavy and Demp are going to all of a sudeen feel good about him being back there? That will certainly affect their performance. Its a trainwreck waiting to happen.

IOf they do it and Im wrong I will galdly eat crow. But I doubt I am wrong on this one.

[/QUOTE]Because he can throw to bases & field the position .......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, he cant field the position well at all. but hey, maybe you and everyone here know more than all the scouts who watch him play all the time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, he cant field the position well at all. but hey, maybe you and everyone here know more than all the scouts who watch him play all the time.

[/QUOTE]

This wouldn't be the first time the management was wrong about a player....or the second....or the third. Just because THEY say it is so does not make it so. I believe they are wrong about Lavarnway. The FACT is that he HAS succeeded at every level he has played at where he was given a fair chance at a full time job. Thats a pretty good track record. It also means that he deserves a shot at a full time job at catcher, here or elsewhere. He has earned that much.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This wouldn't be the first time the management was wrong about a player....or the second....or the third. Just because THEY say it is so does not make it so. I believe they are wrong about Lavarnway. The FACT is that he HAS succeeded at every level he has played at where he was given a fair chance at a full time job. Thats a pretty good track record. It also means that he deserves a shot at a full time job at catcher, here or elsewhere. He has earned that much.

[/QUOTE]B I N G O  THAT.........   As DAD would say........... "SON, we know the NEXT CARLTON FISK when we see him"  !!!!!!!!!!