Loved the decision to pitch Lackey in the 8th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Loved the decision to pitch Lackey in the 8th

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After some questionable calls in Game 3, Farrell redeemed himself last night with some excellent managing.

Not that I'm questioning the move, but I wonder what the reaction would be like if Lackey had come in and blown the game.  I'm sure there would be a lot of complaining about how stupid that very same move was.

Francona said it best:  If you win, you're smart.  If you lose, you're dumb.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

I saw no mistakes made by Farrell last night. And you can't go back and, had Lackey surrendered a run or two, say that it was the wrong move to make if you said it was the right one at the time, as I did on the game chat. I thought it was strange that Napoli was holding the runner on first base in the ninth with Beltran up hitting left handed, but perhaps he was also guarding the line against a double at the same time, a fact McCarver and Buck missed during their rant against his positioning.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

A pretty gutsy move by Farrell 

Al Leiter said last night on mlb, it's very difficult for a starter to do. Out of their comfort zone, different mindset. He admitted he coudn't have done it.

Lackey went to Farrell Saturday after the game, and told him anything he needed, he was ready. Was he everTongue Out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stan17's comment:

[QUOTE]

A pretty gutsy move by Farrell 

[/QUOTE]

Al Leiter said last night on mlb, it's very difficult for a starter to do. Out of their comfort zone, different mindset. He admitted he coudn't have done it.

Lackey went to Farrell Saturday after the game, and told him anything he needed, he was ready. Was he everTongue Out

[/QUOTE]

These are the kind of guys we need on the staff. Guys that empty the tank on the final games of the season. Go out of their comfort zone and put the team over everything.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

After some questionable calls in Game 3, Farrell redeemed himself last night with some excellent managing.

Not that I'm questioning the move, but I wonder what the reaction would be like if Lackey had come in and blown the game.  I'm sure there would be a lot of complaining about how stupid that very same move was.

Francona said it best:  If you win, you're smart.  If you lose, you're dumb.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

I saw no mistakes made by Farrell last night. And you can't go back and, had Lackey surrendered a run or two, say that it was the wrong move to make if you said it was the right one at the time, as I did on the game chat. I thought it was strange that Napoli was holding the runner on first base in the ninth with Beltran up hitting left handed, but perhaps he was also guarding the line against a double at the same time, a fact McCarver and Buck missed during their rant against his positioning.

[/QUOTE]

Very astute point, Pumpsie.  A lot of people missed this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't really hear the game calling too much as I was in a bar watching the game and when it ended, much screaming and shenanigans ensued.  Were they actually ranting against the Sox playing Napoli there????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't really hear the game calling too much as I was in a bar watching the game and when it ended, much screaming and shenanigans ensued.  Were they actually ranting against the Sox playing Napoli there????

[/QUOTE]

Yes Hugh. McC was saying that naps didnt need to hold him with 2 outs because Wongs run means nothing. Just give him 2nd is what he said. Said he should be playing behind him

Looks like the Sox possibly had something on Wong. maybe that tendency to hop at the end of his lead, giving the pitcher an extra second to get him. Also what PG mentioned as far as Beltran and protecting the line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes Hugh. McC was saying that naps didnt need to hold him with 2 outs because Wongs run means nothing. Just give him 2nd is what he said. Said he should be playing behind him

Looks like the Sox possibly had something on Wong. maybe that tendency to hop at the end of his lead, giving the pitcher an extra second to get him. Also what PG mentioned as far as Beltran and protecting the line.

[/QUOTE]

On the game chat I was wondering why Napoli was holding Wong on, but thinking about it afterwards I think it served two purposes: keeping him close to the bag (guess he wasn't close enough) as well as preventing a potential double down the line which would have put the tying run in scoring position. I think that was the correct positioning for the circumstance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Of course, it all worked out, so it's easy to support this decision now.  Still, I was stoked when I saw him warming up and thought it was a great decision for several reasons:

1.  I don't trust Tazawa to hold the lead.

THIS IS A RIDICULOUS STATEMENT, THE GUY HAS KEPT SO MANY KEY LEADS WITH CLUTCH K'S AND DOUBLE PLAYS, I MORE THAN WANT HIM OUT THERE WITH GAME ON THE LINE. HELL, HE DID IT V. HOLLIDAY FOR HIS ONLY BATTER.

I differ without begging.  I could understand a difference in opinion regarding Tazawa in that situation, but in no way is it a ridiculous statement.  Tazawa gave up a big RBI double to Holladay in Game 3.  Your calling it a ridiculous statement is a ridiculous statement.    

2.  They need to conserve Koji.

THIS IS THE WORLD SERIES, YOU DON'T CONSERVE A LIGHTS-OUT CLOSER

All the more reason to conserve him.  Hey, I'm not against the two inning (or plus) save with everything on the line, but if there's any way to avoid it before it becomes absolutely necessary, Farrell must squeeze whatever he can from his arsenal.  I know it's hard to believe, but Koji is human too and can potentially lose effectiveness with overuse.

3.  Lackey has two days off before Game 6.  It's like he's getting his bullpen work in as scheduled, but under real game conditions.  Plus, his workload in Game 2 wasn't overly heavy.  He should still be effective in Game 6.  

IT WAS A GREAT MOVE, AND IT WORKED

Let's agree for agreement's sake.

4.  It was convenient in double switching the pitcher's spot with Napoli after they decided to pinch run for Papi.  They could have switched around other players, but they wouldn't want to have to have Koji hit if they had to bring him in early in the 8th if Tazawa looked vulnerable (a strong possibility).

AGAIN THE RIP ON TAZAWA, UNCALLED FOR...

It wasn't a personal attack, and again, I differ without begging.

5.  Outside of Koji, he was clearly the best man for the job.  Outside of Tazawa, we're looking at a choice between Workman, Morales, and Dempster.  Workman is not a bad choice, but he threw 30 pitches in Game 3.  He will likely be needed for Game 5 and beyond.  Plus, Lackey has already proven himself against this lineup.  The only question was could he do it in an unfamiliar role.

Lackey has already been to the top of mountain.  He may very well carry his teammates with him there again.

IT WAS A LOGICAL PLAY TO USE HIM, BETTER  PLAY THAT THEY USED DOUBRONT LIKE THEY DID

I choose not to compare them in terms of one being better than the other.  They were both good plays, but the Doubront choice seemed more obvious than the Lackey one.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its great to see this team battle hard, I have been a yankees fan all my life but since the Marathon bombing i pledged to root for all boston teams. I have been a bruins and celtics fan all my life and the theres the cowboys, but again im rooting for the patriots.

I sincerely would love to the red sox win this year, seeing that Boston Strong on the feild stil sends chikks down my spine.

I really liked what lackey did in last nights game, Lets go Boston

[/QUOTE]

very nicely said!

you are a good fan