Lucky to have Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Lucky to have Lester

The Phils just signed Cole Hamels to a one year 15M deal. MLB.com compares Hamels to Jered Weaver of the Angels...

Hamels  77-54 3.39  15MM
    Weaver  82-47 3.31  17M (85M deal 5Y)
    Lester   76-34  3.53  5.7M(37M deal)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Lucky to have Lester

Sounds like a thread from a loyal and astute Red Sox fan.

Aren't you afraid of getting into Georom's doghouse?

Wasn't Lester accused of eating fried chicken, drinking Bud Light, and watching video games ( which he hasn't played in 15 years).

If Bob Hohler is the Bible that your good buddy Georom lives by then why are you not throwing Lester under the Georom bus also?

Sounds inconsistent to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

I've always been on the Lester bus. I think he gets over shadowed by the Clay "Potential" bandwagon. I'm not afraid of being in Geo's, or anyone else doghouse, 'cept the wife of course. I have great respect for Hohler, I was acquainted with him back in Concord NH, played pick-up basketball with him at the Community Center on Green Street. You can learn a lot about a guy in shirts-skins games...also he was my sister-in-law's neighbor on Wilson Ave...I've not changed my mind on Hohler.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I like Lester too and at least he manned up and talked about it...but the reality was that he had his worst season last year following in the footsteps of the Texas ingrates (and it was still good)...lesson learned young Jon.....plus he made 1/3 of what Beckett made last year so moving him would be counterproductive....not so with Beckett/Lackey....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

We can thank Theo for that team friendly Lester contract.  As much criticism as he has received by some lately, he should get credit for extending his home grown players into their free agency years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'm Jon Lester and I don't care about games in April.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Lester will get his when next contract term comes up.  I applaud him for the local team discount and hope the Sox keep him long term.  He gets a bum rap from some of the fans yet he is a workhorse every year.  Nobody sports better numbers over the past few years than he does.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Lucky to have Lester:
    [QUOTE]I'm Jon Lester and I don't care about games in April.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

... aaaannd on cue ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Not my fault.  I didn't say it.  Lester did.  Talk to him if you take issue with that quote.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

guy had a bad year last year, could hardly work into the 7th inning

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

I really wanted to like Jon Lester. Really. After the bout with cancer and the successes and the "home town discount" and the no-hitter, I really tried to like him. As I tried I kept seeing reminders of Roger Clemens in his formative years. Arrogant, altogether-to-serious and quiet as a church mouse around the clubhouse and in the media. Then came the inconsistencies in the midst of flashes of brilliance but the final nail that makes me dislike Jon Lester? His off-season quote that he's a, "...grown a$$ man..." who can make his own decisions and doesn't follow anyone.

Really? I said, REALLY? Really Jon?

How 'bout you step up, win 20 games, shut down the Rays, Tigers, Rangers, Angels and Yankees and take a leadership role on the pitching staff?

Are there other pitchers I have "disliked" personally? Oh yessiree...I don't have to like players to cheer for them it's just that SOMETHING about Jon Lester is one-off for me.

He's not way-off...just one-off.

I hope he drags his "grown a$$ man" self into camp in shape and pitches to his potential because POTENTIAL IN MLB LANGUAGE MEANS, "...ain't done squat yet."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

How 'bout you step up, win 20 games, shut down the Rays, Tigers, Rangers, Angels and Yankees and take a leadership role on the pitching staff? 

You people are pathetic.  He is 25-13 against those teams, the teams which are nominally the best in BB.  He is the #9 SP in BB over the last 4 seasons.  You seem like a good guy, but this is thoroughly pathetic.  It's like if a guy doesn't go 20-0 it's time to turn on him.

With all due respect, this is pathetic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]I really wanted to like Jon Lester. Really. After the bout with cancer and the successes and the "home town discount" and the no-hitter, I really tried to like him. As I tried I kept seeing reminders of Roger Clemens in his formative years. Arrogant, altogether-to-serious and quiet as a church mouse around the clubhouse and in the media. Then came the inconsistencies in the midst of flashes of brilliance but the final nail that makes me dislike Jon Lester? His off-season quote that he's a, "...grown a$$ man..." who can make his own decisions and doesn't follow anyone. Really? I said, REALLY? Really Jon? How 'bout you step up, win 20 games, shut down the Rays, Tigers, Rangers, Angels and Yankees and take a leadership role on the pitching staff? Are there other pitchers I have "disliked" personally? Oh yessiree...I don't have to like players to cheer for them it's just that SOMETHING about Jon Lester is one-off for me. He's not way-off...just one-off. I hope he drags his "grown a$$ man" self into camp in shape and pitches to his potential because POTENTIAL IN MLB LANGUAGE MEANS, "...ain't done squat yet."
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

WO - which current Red Sox do you like, and why?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]How 'bout you step up, win 20 games, shut down the Rays, Tigers, Rangers, Angels and Yankees and take a leadership role on the pitching staff?  You people are pathetic.  He is 25-13 against those teams, the teams which are nominally the best in BB.  He is the #9 SP in BB over the last 4 seasons.  You seem like a good guy, but this is thoroughly pathetic.  It's like if a guy doesn't go 20-0 it's time to turn on him. With all due respect, this is pathetic.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Lester is the true ace of the staff. He has the best stuff, and has benn the workhorse of the staff.
    I really think a lot of his problem stems from not having a regular catcher to throw to. I thought he an Vmart worked really well together and I just don't think Salty is doing him any favors.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]How 'bout you step up, win 20 games, shut down the Rays, Tigers, Rangers, Angels and Yankees and take a leadership role on the pitching staff?  You people are pathetic.  He is 25-13 against those teams, the teams which are nominally the best in BB.  He is the #9 SP in BB over the last 4 seasons.  You seem like a good guy, but this is thoroughly pathetic.  It's like if a guy doesn't go 20-0 it's time to turn on him. With all due respect, this is pathetic.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

With all due respect...
    Jon Lester vs. Yankees, Ray, Tigers, Twins, Rangers and Angels
    since 2009, when he apparently became a grown a$$ man.
    W L Inn H ER BB K ERA WHIP
    18 15 275 228 112 107 283 3.66 1.22
    If he's the ACE those numbers translate to 88 wins in a year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lucky to have Lester : WO - which current Red Sox do you like, and why? Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

Somehow that matters?

I root for 'em all.