Lyle Overbay Signed to a Minor League Deal by Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Lyle Overbay Signed to a Minor League Deal by Red Sox

Sounds like if he performs in spring training, we have our back up first baseman. I know he did okay last year, until he was put in a pinch hitting role with the Braves.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Lyle Overbay Signed to a Minor League Deal by Red Sox

They needed a real 1rst baseman,Napoli is just a catcher playing 1B. As for Overbay he's always killed Boston pitching nice that he won't be in another uni next season.The Sox also signed Charlie Heager back as he has healed from TJS. They now have two knuckleballers.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

was really hoping the sox would aim higher than overbay. Logan Morrison would have been a good choice. I thought the idea was to find a left handed hitter who plays LF and 1B to spell gomes and napoli. Overbay cant play LF and is on the decline. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy will be happy we got his man (although 2 years too late).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

was really hoping the sox would aim higher than overbay. Logan Morrison would have been a good choice. I thought the idea was to find a left handed hitter who plays LF and 1B to spell gomes and napoli. Overbay cant play LF and is on the decline. 

I think him and Sweeney fill out the role Morrison would fill and they wouldn't need to make a trade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

softy will be happy we got his man (although 2 years too late).

Man, it has been a quiet week without him.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I wouldn't get out of bed for $30,000.00....unless it was gold-encrusted and occupied by a high-powered lawyer. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

You enjoy Softlaw? That's funny, Moonslav hates him and calls him a pretender / phoney / and troll. Why do you like someone who baits you, hooks you, and toys with you? What exactly do you like; what Softy posts or watching the results of his posts?

That Pike guy was much worse...

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

your = you are = you're

How complicated is that?

Even a caveman can learn that.

my deepest apologies king pike. I'll try to keep the peasant-speak to a minimum.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Well then, they can spend another $30,000 tomorrow and get someone else.

My question is have any of these low risk gambles ever worked outnfor the Red Sox. The only one I can think of was Cody Ross and he was not a minor league deal but much more expensive.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

My question is have any of these low risk gambles ever worked outnfor the Red Sox. The only one I can think of was Cody Ross and he was not a minor league deal but much more expensive.

I may be wrong about minor league deals or ML deals here, but I think here are some recent ones...

Pedro Ciriaco, Mauro Gomez,  Aaron Cook, Darnell McDonald, Scott Atchison

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

your = you are = you're

How complicated is that?

Even a caveman can learn that.

Grammar police? Isnt this a form of "baiting"?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

it's my own fault southpaw.. how dare i use that barbaric tongue in such a high brow, formal setting of an internet forum?! All in all that entire post was a grammatical trainwreck.. I'm just lucky a Dbag great poster like pike was able to come along and set me straight on the matter. You are truly an asset and necessity to this forum pikester.

/sarcasm

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Well, maybe Lyle Overbay will make the squad.  That way, when Jason Bay (now with the Mariners) reaches first, and Lyle Overbay is playing first, Overbay appears over Bay on the TV screen.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Overbay has had a decent career, but he seems to be falling off from his best years.

He may or may not make a contribution at this point.  I think that I would have given Sweeney a first baseman's mitt and put him there for the entire spring training so that he could have been Napoli's substitute and gone out and gotten a more productive bat instead of Overbay.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to AL34's comment:

I may be wrong about minor league deals or ML deals here, but I think here are some recent ones...

Pedro Ciriaco, Mauro Gomez,  Aaron Cook, Darnell McDonald, Scott Atchison

They also signed some 6-5 LHP from some tiny college in NYC, along w/ Haeger. Never hurts to take a chance. Can't win if you don't play.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'd have preferred someone who could also play the OF, but this is decent enough insurance.

More importantly, though, I hope that after getting Napoli down to one year Ben is already looking for a 1B solution for 2014 and beyond...unless the team believes Shaw will eventually be the answer, there isn't much there in terms of organizational depth.