lyle overbay?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

lyle overbay?

anybody think he is an upgrade over carp?if yes, sign him to minor league deal with invite to major league deal.then trade carp for a outfield prospect.you could include a starter as that would free up a spot for a rookie.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: lyle overbay?

In response to bosoxhero2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

anybody think he is an upgrade over carp?if yes, sign him to minor league deal with invite to major league deal.then trade carp for a outfield prospect.you could include a starter as that would free up a spot for a rookie.

[/QUOTE]

No. Carp beat out Overbay last year in Spring Training. What changed this year?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No. Carp beat out Overbay last year in Spring Training. What changed this year?

[/QUOTE]

What changed is Lyle Overbay signed up for a boston.com account under the name "bosoxhero2"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Overbay wa sbetter than Carp, which I highly, highly doubt, why would anyone want to trade for Carp instead of signing Overbay?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Overbay wa sbetter than Carp, which I highly, highly doubt, why would anyone want to trade for Carp instead of signing Overbay?

[/QUOTE]

my point is we need spots on the roster incase we sign another player.everybody seems to think we need to get rid of a pitcher.i think carp would increase what we get back.other teams need a first baseman.overbay is a bench player.fill in if napoli gets hurt.i am willing to bet that he is good defenseively.and has some power.middlebrooks which people on here have said should move over in case of injury is not the answer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

my point is we need spots on the roster incase we sign another player.everybody seems to think we need to get rid of a pitcher.i think carp would increase what we get back.other teams need a first baseman.overbay is a bench player.fill in if napoli gets hurt.i am willing to bet that he is good defenseively.and has some power.middlebrooks which people on here have said should move over in case of injury is not the answer.

[/QUOTE]

But he is not as good and less versatile. How would that be an upgrade?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it would be as a backup.back ups aren't supposed to be great.otherwise they would be starters.are you in the thought we need to trade a pitcher?if yes,would more talent given up  bring more back?carp is a person who has trade value.as is our supposed depth at pitcher.i say if we are to unload a pitcher instead of a prospect give up a guy who may start for another team.you still have nava if you wanted a better hitter.but overbay had a decent year with the yankees.he would know his role as carp did.you would trade one bench player for another.you still have gomes and nava in left.where does carp fit?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]That ship has sailed !!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Question: Does Overbay also get a World Series ring from the Red Sox?  I'm assuming no because he did not play a regular season game with the Red Sox.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So how does replacing Carp with Overbay create a new roster spot?

IF the Sox sign anyone else to a major league deal, they have plenty ofplayers with options that can be demoted to create space on the 25-man.  And even some 40-man deadweight like Wright who can be DFA'd to create a new rotster spot.

The only reamining FA the Sox have been linked to so far is Drew.  If they bring Drew back, more than likely they either demote Bogaerts for a year or move Middlebrooks.  Wright or Holt would be a likely DFA candidate to create space. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it would be as a backup.back ups aren't supposed to be great.otherwise they would be starters.are you in the thought we need to trade a pitcher?if yes,would more talent given up  bring more back?carp is a person who has trade value.as is our supposed depth at pitcher.i say if we are to unload a pitcher instead of a prospect give up a guy who may start for another team.you still have nava if you wanted a better hitter.but overbay had a decent year with the yankees.he would know his role as carp did.you would trade one bench player for another.you still have gomes and nava in left.where does carp fit?

[/QUOTE]

I just don't understand how trading Dempster or Peavy will affect the bench. You got a guy who can play 1st and hit off the bench. You want to trade just because and sign Overbay. I don't see you really getting anything that would be worth the downgrade to Overbay. This hurts the team and hurts your depth without making any room for another pitcher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Defensively I would take Overbay in a hearbeat to back up Nap.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Carp or Nava could do the LHH job of filling in at 1b if need be. Overbay is not necessary and would be redundant twice over.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thank you.i think you agree with me.i am trying to say,people want to trade a starter,peavy or dempster.i say if you wanted a good player or prospect back you add carp.he could start with a team like the pirates or astros.we could get a guy to share time with bradley in the outfield.i don't see trading middlebrooks as we want a guy with power.he has it.he may not hit for a high average. but do you take a guy with high strikeouts but 30 homers.kind of like napoli.if over a season middlebrooks will hit if played a lot.i saw bogaerts in the minors.i was impressed  with both his defense and offense.i like the looks of the team right now.but carp is either the back up at first or the second back up behind nava.oritz could play there too if had to.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Carp is a perfect player for us.  Backs up 1st and LF.  We have an injury-prone 1B and RF, and a CF that might need to sit against tough lefties.  That will give him adundant time at both 1st and LF.  Of the 30 teams that Carp could play for, he fits the RS more than the other 29 teams.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Defensive replacements at 1b are a waste if roster space...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

IF the Sox sign anyone else to a major league deal, they have plenty ofplayers with options that can be demoted to create space on the 25-man.  And even some 40-man deadweight like Wright who can be DFA'd to create a new rotster spot.

The only reamining FA the Sox have been linked to so far is Drew.  If they bring Drew back, more than likely they either demote Bogaerts for a year or move Middlebrooks.  Wright or Holt would be a likely DFA candidate to create space. 

[/QUOTE]

"more than likely they demote Bogaerts for a year"

Not a chance in hell that happens.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thank you.i think you agree with me.i am trying to say,people want to trade a starter,peavy or dempster.i say if you wanted a good player or prospect back you add carp.he could start with a team like the pirates or astros.we could get a guy to share time with bradley in the outfield.i don't see trading middlebrooks as we want a guy with power.he has it.he may not hit for a high average. but do you take a guy with high strikeouts but 30 homers.kind of like napoli.if over a season middlebrooks will hit if played a lot.i saw bogaerts in the minors.i was impressed  with both his defense and offense.i like the looks of the team right now.but carp is either the back up at first or the second back up behind nava.oritz could play there too if had to.

[/QUOTE]

Carp is scary to watch defensively, especially in the OF but he serves our purpose.  We have bigger issues right now in my opinion.  I'm willing to start the season with the lineup we presently have but if Middy struggles again it should be obvious he will never be a reliable middle of the order bat.  In that case package him along with a starter and finally upgrade this team with someone we don't have to worry about every season.. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Get rid of Carp and sign Overbay. No chance !! Carp gives them more flexibility, maybe not as good defensively but hits for a better average, much higher OBP by over sixty points. Carp in nine years younger and at 27 has much more upside than Overbay who at 36 is on the downside of a long career, just about ready for the Over the Hill Gang (no insults intended).

As for Notin's thought of sending Boggy down for a year, not going to happen. He had a good post season and is ready to assume a major role on the roster this season starting at SS or 3B depending on how Middlebrooks comes along this year.

Hetch  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

[QUOTE]

Get rid of Carp and sign Overbay. No chance !! Carp gives them more flexibility, maybe not as good defensively but hits for a better average, much higher OBP by over sixty points. Carp in nine years younger and at 27 has much more upside than Overbay who at 36 is on the downside of a long career, just about ready for the Over the Hill Gang (no insults intended).

As for Notin's thought of sending Boggy down for a year, not going to happen. He had a good post season and is ready to assume a major role on the roster this season starting at SS or 3B depending on how Middlebrooks comes along this year.

Hetch  

[/QUOTE]

Bogy is ready for the bigs and should only get better each year.  It's JBJ and Middy that worries me most.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"more than likely they demote Bogaerts for a year"

Not a chance in hell that happens.

[/QUOTE]

Well there were two options in mt statement...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Defensive replacements at 1b are a waste if roster space...

[/QUOTE]

especially when your current 1Bman led all AL 1Bmen in UZR.......

this is a dumb thread and a dumb proposal.