Managing For Dummies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Managing For Dummies

wow...i guess this hit a nerve....believe it or not this was done with tongue firmly in cheek....the point is that Tito is a creature of habit and he is quite predictable...thanks Harness for not being a knee jerk bootlicker...a few weeks ago i have Tito the credit for winning the game with his late iniing moves...i dont remember these samne posters being so judgemental...or when I flatly stated that no manager in Red Sox history couldve been so calm/confident behind three games in postseason 2004/2007

lets be honest...
    Crawford was never going to bunt...the Indians knew that and we did too...
    keeping Bard in, pitching to the hottest hitter in MLB?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Why do you always say "bootlicker"?  Speaking for myself, it isn't that I think Francona is a great manager, I just find your posts predictable tripe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

well, in the case of TITO following THEO'S orders, the book could be called MANAGING UNDER A DUMMY.

but seriously, TITO doesn't have a clue and neither do his excuse making supporters.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Managing For Dummies:
    [QUOTE]well, in the case of TITO following THEO'S orders, the book could be called MANAGING UNDER A DUMMY. but seriously, TITO doesn't have a clue and neither do his excuse making supporters.
    Posted by the-yazzer[/QUOTE]

Nice use of random caps to make your point.  It makes you seem very intelligent.  Keep it up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Managing For Dummies : I couldn't have said it better. thanks
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

and thats not saying much

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

hey snakeoil,

instead of critiquing posts, which you spend a lot of time doing, why don't you try and contribute. i mean you must have something positive or negative to say, or are you like TITO and THEO, totally clueless?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Terry has what it takes to manage in this day and age, in Boston, with this group of players, and in collaboration with Theo.  
    Boiling managers in oil is a pastime for people of a certain temperament. Wanna see? Go to other teams' threads.  
    Second-guessing is another matter and has always been part of the fun of being a fan.  Terry is liable to it on occasion, as are all managers.  It can be done reasonably and civilly.  As Terry appears to treat people.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

geo I support you on many points which is to say I agree with you on a whole. What sort of meatball simply breaks his line-up into right/left/right/left as if to confuse (befuddle) opponents?

I could go on and on but you have covered it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

O I love point #2 as well.  I have been mentioning Tito's "lazy sunday line-ups" for 3 years....

If you are up 2-0 in a series vs. New York you do not rest your prime guys on the 3rd and final game of the series - it is as if "hey we got the series so lets not rub it in, you guys go ahead and have a freebie."

There is never a damn game which Tito goes for the throat.

I will go very far here and say that it took Game 7 of the ALCS in 2004 - last minutes of the official game - before Tito was bold enough to have a guy steal second.  That is how far I am willing to carry this thread!  

Bring it on!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Burrito: 'There is never a damn game which Tito goes for the throat.'

Um, what exactly in the name of God does that mean?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

So, Burrito, it sounds like you must have had a problem with how Tito managed the third game of the sweep against the Yankees on May 15.  Let's see now.

Lineup
    Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Gonzalez
    Youkilis
    Ortiz
    Drew
    Lowrie
    Crawford
    Salty

Pitchers
    Lester
    Aceves
    Bard
    Papelbon

Sorry, no clue what you're talking about.  Maybe you can explain it a little better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

So managing in a consistent fashion is bad.  Managing in a way that allows the players on the team to know what to expect on a day to day basis is bad.  Putting each slump under a microscope is the right thing to do.  Put struggling players in a position where they have to deal with questions from the media about being dropped in the BA is a good thing.  Not allowing players to stay relaxed and find their groove is the preferred way of going.

I certainly prefer a style that keeps players guessing.  I prefer a style of management that bends to the whims of the manager.

Best manager I ever worked for trusted me and supported me, which inspired me to give him everything I had.

Hmmm, I wonder if the GM and manager ever discuss how a player is to be used, particularly before the player is signed or during spring training.  I wonder if the GM and manager ever discuss a struggling player and how they want to handle it. 

Do you think a conversation about a struggling relief pitcher moght go something like this.  GM - "Wells has been struggling.  Do you think he's going to be able to pull it together or should we look for help". Manager - "I think the jury is out.  He's shown flashes of his old self but it's not been consistent".  GM - "I think you're right.  "Let's keep using him in as we have been" or "Let's drop him to mop up duty until he finds his curve ball or until we find someone better".  Manager - "who should we use as the 7th inning guy?".

The Sox have never lost a post season series because of Francona nor missed the post season because of Francona.  That's all that's important.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Harness, Burrito, and Bosox1941 all agreed with the OP and then Georom admits that the OP was "tongue in cheek". The OP was not intended to be taken at face value or seriously but Harness, Burrito, and Bosox1941 did exactly that and sanctioned it as gospel. What does this say about their marching after a pied piper? Anyone need a napkin to wipe the egg off of their faces?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

StatsFromLouie, mrmojo1120, JimfromFlorida, piersoll LloydDobler, Hfxsoxnut, snakeoil, Kimsaythis, Dirtywaterlover and Your-Echo all took it seriously and jumped to defend Francona's style. Francona's minions are so easily led. I'd love to know how many have actually googled J. Fred Muggs, as a replacement for Francona.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Just for the record, "managing for dummies" is only partly tongue in cheek.

georom, bosox1941, burritoT, and several others appear to believe that good managers simply don't lose any games.  For Francona to win their approval, the Sox would have to go undefeated.  They criticize him for every single loss, without exception.  They believe that the players' failings can all be mitigated by astute decisions on pitching, lineup, in-game tactics, etc. 

Now most, maybe all of us are going to second guess Francona at some point because, given our 20-20 hindsight, it's almost irresistable.  Peter Abraham, for example, stoutly defended the decision not to use Bard the other night when Albers went in and got hammered, costing the game.  But he did criticize the pitching decisions in the Monday night loss after the Sox took a 2-1 lead into the bottom of the 8th.  He ageed that, because of the 330 pitch "rule," it probably made sense to take Buchholz out, but thought it was a mistake to pitch to Bautista and would have used Hill to get Choo out after Bautista was given the IBB.  But most of the time, practically all of the time, the announcers and the reporters tend to agree with Francona's decision-making.  Or they at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

But not our guys.  They never, ever agree with him, even when the Sox win.  If it's a win, it's entirely because of the players, and, if it's a loss, it's entirely because of the manager.  That position, espoused by georom, bosox1941, burritoT, and several others, is simply indefensible. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Managing For Dummies : I couldn't have said it better. thanks

you are right, you couldn't have.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Of course you could not have said it better.  Its a one trick poney and you and georom share the saddle.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

14-2 today...awesome starting pitching....awesome hitting....I could win 94 games as manager with this group

btw tongue in cheek doesnt make the points untrue....using a bit of hyperbole is OK

for snakeoil...just what exactly is unfamiliar tripe?  your insults? thanks for posting your usual nonsense with nothing to add

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

John Henry is a billionaire, I believe, and he made his money because of his smarts.  He has a lot of smart baseball people around him, experienced people who are well paid and good at what they do, people who have helped put together two World Series winners.  It is very, very hard to win a championship in a major sport, and yet with their smarts they were able to do this, not once but twice.  And they have put together a pretty good team in 2011, it appears.  I have to ask this question: why would all these smart people employ Terry Francona to run this multimillion dollar operation if he was not good at what he does, indeed as good as anyone in the business at what he does?  Is John Henry not as smart as the people who post a complaint about Francona on this board every time the team loses? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]14-2 today...awesome starting pitching....awesome hitting....I could win 94 games as manager with this group btw tongue in cheek doesnt make the points untrue....using a bit of hyperbole is OK for snakeoil...just what exactly is unfamiliar tripe?  your insults? thanks for posting your usual nonsense with nothing to add
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Lovely post.  It confirms what I said--for you, this manager can never do anything right.  And that, I contend, is indefensible.  Your only out is to announce sometime soon that all along everything was tongue in cheek. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

max.....i dont need an out....the title itself is obviously tongue in cheek...perhaps that was a clue????? we know 'Coma is a creature of habit...and when asked to make snap decisions, he gets it wrong....this week alone he blew two games with poor bullpen decisions and a lack of baseball smarts that 90% on this board mentioned BEFORE it all went wrong....it must burn you up that almost any poster on BDC can choose to make the right choice in tight games better than our manager...but you will have to deal with it because it will happen about 30 more times this year...I'm sorry

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]max.....i dont need an out....the title itself is obviously tongue in cheek...perhaps that was a clue????? we know 'Coma is a creature of habit...and when asked to make snap decisions, he gets it wrong....this week alone he blew two games with poor bullpen decisions and a lack of baseball smarts that 90% on this board mentioned BEFORE it all went wrong....it must burn you up that almost any poster on BDC can choose to make the right choice in tight games better than our manager...but you will have to deal with it because it will happen about 30 more times this year...I'm sorry
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

LOL there's that big load of horse manure again about the armchair managers who always get it right.  The smart posters here know better. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The real joke here is Pike. He mis-represents posters just to convey his psychotic need to stereotype people. What a board pollutant. Damn shame BDC doesn't have the software to keep banned posters banned.

Pike doesn't have the capacity to understand the intent of the OP.
    And both bashers and proponents of Tito are constantly blind-sided.
    Geo has hammered Tito and Wake on this board - but has also given them both credit. So, he's a fresh kill for the pros and cons.

True Tito bashers reflect only negativity, and it goes far beyond this forum.
    True Tito "bootlickers" don't have the guts to admit their own frustrations with him off their keyboard.

The posters I personally respect see both sides and back up their take.
    Then we have Smelly/Pike/Law - who go to any sick extreme to create board division. They are worse than anyone here posting with a
    one-dimensional obsession.

That's the truth. People can change if they face up to the truth. The truth will remain unchanged .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Harness, why waste your time on him? He's devoid of anything but venom (although apparently some think I am the same type). The forum is big enough to handle dissent....I never begrudge anyone their opinion as long as it isnt a personal attack...I though the OP was clever and provocative and made good copy....I guess you made the mistake of being honest and addressing the points...point is you cant make evryone happy/especially on a public forum - too bad more cant lighten up and take things in stride

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Because I have no stomach for those who create tug-of-war division among the board members.
    And if I know him and his motley puppeteers, he'll use your "made good copy" statement to further his quest.

He'll try to bury you and anybody he claims aren't "true" Tito fans.
    He'll paint you black, couple you with others, and make sure the line in the sand is drawn.

If he isn't called out, he'll eventually bring out his noose. The last one had invasion of privacy blood stains all over it.