Mariners starting to put together a decent looking team.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

Mariners starting to put together a decent looking team.

With the addition of a Hart looking to work hard for a big contract alla' Napoli and trading for Morrison, on top of the Cano signing, their offense has gotten much better the last week!  They have solid starters but need some work in the BP.  This could have a huge effect on the West with Oakland losing pitching and no real moves being made.  This could also have a big effect on the wild card race which is always close and the Sox surely will be in a battle for the playoffs.

Good for Seattle.  Great city with great fans dieing for a team to rout for.....not to mention a pretty sweet (yet cavernous) ball park.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Mariners starting to put together a decent looking team.

Baseball needs all the parity it can get, especially in the AL West where teams can beat up on one another and give the Sox a better chance at a WC spot. <smile>

The M's are going to be much better than they were last year.  I hope the fans and the owners don't lose patience if they don't make the PO's in 2014, and forge ahead with their apparently solid plan for 2015 and beyond.

Never having been in the great Pacific Northwest, is that a place where players would want to play and have their families? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:

With the addition of a Hart looking to work hard for a big contract alla' Napoli and trading for Morrison, on top of the Cano signing, their offense has gotten much better the last week!  They have solid starters but need some work in the BP.  This could have a huge effect on the West with Oakland losing pitching and no real moves being made.  This could also have a big effect on the wild card race which is always close and the Sox surely will be in a battle for the playoffs.

Good for Seattle.  Great city with great fans dieing for a team to rout for.....not to mention a pretty sweet (yet cavernous) ball park.

i think they can do well without a ton of HR's....Robbie's definitely a guy who could still em' hit out, but can absolutely take advantage of a big ballpark, guys like him and Ortiz when they are right, can hit the ball the other way with authority  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Baseball needs all the parity it can get, especially in the AL West where teams can beat up on one another and give the Sox a better chance at a WC spot. <smile>

The M's are going to be much better than they were last year.  I hope the fans and the owners don't lose patience if they don't make the PO's in 2014, and forge ahead with their apparently solid plan for 2015 and beyond.

Never having been in the great Pacific Northwest, is that a place where players would want to play and have their families? 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.....A league with much more parity is waaaay more fun to watch as a fan.  I think last year was a step in the right direction with the Pirates and even KC doing well.

I've only been to the Northwest a few times but I REALLY enjoyed my visit each time.  Seattle is a great city but a bit unappreciated.  I agree though.....it's a hard sell for the current ball player who may want a bit more exposure and local endorsements that a NY, LA, Bos, Chi will have so that could be a deterrent.  I do wonder with Social media the way it is....if that could somehow close the gap in those regards.  It's not like Oklahoma City is a hot bed for exposure and sports but Kevin Durant sure does well!!  A lot has to do with the team and the league itself I think.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/2013/12/11/who-do-the-mariners-think-they-are-the-yankees.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

If the kids come through, Walker, and Paxton. They will have a nice staff. Think it was a smart move not to move  Walker for Price.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Forgive me JB but I "pirated" this link from the one you posted.  It's written by Logan Morrison and he talks about his feelings about being traded.  It's a pretty good read for anyone who has the attitude that players are just wind-up dolls that we store in the closet and bring out on game days. Morrison talks freely about what it's like to be a real person in the game of baseball.

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/exclusive-morrison-talks-trade-thanks-fans-former-teammates-121113

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Forgot about Hultzen too. Number 2 overall pick in 11.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/2013/12/11/who-do-the-mariners-think-they-are-the-yankees.html

LOL!!! J....the Yanks will wear these patches on their caps on July 4th,,,

Tongue Out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Seattle Mariners have yet to address what I thought were the two most pressing needs entering the offseason: pitching and defensively adept outfielders. Logan Morrison and Corey Hart in the outfield would rival the ineptness of Raul Ibanez and Mike Morse this season.

Seattle's 2013 pitching staff struggled with baseball's worst defense. The Mariners had a team ERA+ of 86 this year despite the presence of one of baseball's best 1-2 combinations in Felix Hernandez and Cy Young finalist Hisashi Iwakuma. Taijuan Walker and James Paxton are bright pitching prospects, but lefthander Danny Hultzen's career is in jeopardy following shoulder surgery.*

The Mariners now have three secondbasemen (Robinson Cano, Nick Franklin and Dustin Ackley) and four firstbasemen (Justin Smoak, Logan Morrison, Corey Hart and Jesus Montero), so I expect some of the surplus to be packaged in trades to address the residual needs.

Many athletes choose to retire in the Pacific Northwest, but playing a 162-game schedule based in Seattle is tough because the Mariners travel the most miles of any MLB club (by a significant margin).

* pitchers often come back strong (or stronger) after Tommy John surgery, but the comeback rate drops signficantly for shoulder surgeries

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.....A league with much more parity is waaaay more fun to watch as a fan.  I think last year was a step in the right direction with the Pirates and even KC doing well.

I've only been to the Northwest a few times but I REALLY enjoyed my visit each time.  Seattle is a great city but a bit unappreciated.  I agree though.....it's a hard sell for the current ball player who may want a bit more exposure and local endorsements that a NY, LA, Bos, Chi will have so that could be a deterrent.  I do wonder with Social media the way it is....if that could somehow close the gap in those regards.  It's not like Oklahoma City is a hot bed for exposure and sports but Kevin Durant sure does well!!  A lot has to do with the team and the league itself I think.

[/QUOTE]

Im thinking a few more big names will get them a couple more ESPN games or fox games, thus making them more "important" as far as the media goes and inticing more players. Junior and ARod did it and Felix has just needed another elite player or 2 for this to happen.

Seattle isnt done yet. They have some extra pieces they could flip for useful ones. Im rooting for them to be relevant again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Seattle Mariners have yet to address what I thought were the two most pressing needs entering the offseason: pitching and defensively adept outfielders. Logan Morrison and Corey Hart in the outfield would rival the ineptness of Raul Ibanez and Mike Morse this season.

Seattle's 2013 pitching staff struggled with baseball's worst defense. The Mariners had a team ERA+ of 86 this year despite the presence of one of baseball's best 1-2 combinations in Felix Hernandez and Cy Young finalist Hisashi Iwakuma. Taijuan Walker and James Paxton are bright pitching prospects, but lefthander Danny Hultzen's career is in jeopardy following shoulder surgery.*

The Mariners now have three secondbasemen (Robinson Cano, Nick Franklin and Dustin Ackley) and four firstbasemen (Justin Smoak, Logan Morrison, Corey Hart and Jesus Montero), so I expect some of the surplus to be packaged in trades to address the residual needs.

Many athletes choose to retire in the Pacific Northwest, but playing a 162-game schedule based in Seattle is tough because the Mariners travel the most miles of any MLB club (by a significant margin).

* pitchers often come back strong (or stronger) after Tommy John surgery, but the comeback rate drops signficantly for shoulder surgeries

[/QUOTE]

The Mariners need a couple of vetran starting pitchers to bridge the gap to the young kids if they realistically expect to compete next year.  The 1-2 are the best in baseball, but the 3,4 and 5 guys last year all had ERA's over 5 and were the worst in basebal.

They ranked in the bottom five in both offense, defense and pitching next year.  If they can fix the offense and pitching then I am sure they will overlook poor defense.  It is not ideal, but defense has become third fiddle to pitching and offense in today's game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

Baseball needs all the parity it can get

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't bsseball already have more parity than any other sport?

What other sport has nearly the entire league winning between 40% and 60% of their games every year?  Andteams outside that range are uusually not outside by much...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't baseball already have more parity than any other sport?

What other sport has nearly the entire league winning between 40% and 60% of their games every year?  Andteams outside that range are uusually not outside by much...

[/QUOTE]
    Well... my comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek but at the same time was a reflection of the balance between certain divisions.  Given the unbalanced schedule it's easier to win some divisions than others. 

The bottom two teams in the AL East (Baltimore and Toronto) had 156 losses between them.  The bottom two teams in the AL Central (Twins and CWS) had had 195 losses between them, and Seattle (the team in question in this thread) and Houston had a combined whopping 202 losses.

While I have nothing but common sense to back this up, I believe that had the Red Sox played in the AL West they would have won over 100 games this year just by picking on the two weak sisters in the division.  Conversely I also believe that playing Seattle and Houston 19 times each contributed greatly to the A's winning 96 games. 

Seattle's becoming better will take more wins away from other teams in the division - Oakland and Texas come to mind - and will give the Sox a better chance at the playoffs. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Doesn't baseball already have more parity than any other sport?

Well... my comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek but at the same time was a reflection of the balance between certain divisions.  Given the unbalanced schedule it's easier to win some divisions than others. 

The bottom two teams in the AL East (Baltimore and Toronto) had 156 losses between them.  The bottom two teams in the AL Central (Twins and CWS) had had 195 losses between them, and Seattle (the team in question in this thread) and Houston had a combined whopping 202 losses.

While I have nothing but common sense to back this up, I believe that had the Red Sox played in the AL West they would have won over 100 games this year just by picking on the two weak sisters in the division.  Conversely I also believe that playing Seattle and Houston 19 times each contributed greatly to the A's winning 96 games. 

Seattle's becoming better will take more wins away from other teams in the division - Oakland and Texas come to mind - and will give the Sox a better chance at the playoffs. 

It runs in cycles.

I think it was two years ago that I reported that the AL West had a better cumulative regular-season record than, and a better record in head-to-head competition against, the AL East over the previous 10 seasons. The AL East may well have caught up the last two years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i think so. if they do end up landing david price then just pack it in. a ToR of king felix, price and iwakuma would be unfair. to say nothing of their vastly improved offense...

I expect the M's to make the playoffs (or at least be in contention until the very end) next season. i said for most of last year that the M's were a lot better than their record showed and only needed a few pieces to really be competitive.. Cano by himself is a piece and a half and couple that with the rest of the moves they made (i am a corey hart fan) and expected improvement by their youngsters and i think Seattle fans will have something to cheer about going forward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

With all due respect, you just got Cano. I don't know if it's just modesty on your part, but you just got Cano. I understand you still want pitching and maybe sure up your OF, and have too many second baseman, but you just got Cano.

Just saying. If I were a Mariners fan I would be thrilled. What a shock for Seattle fans. Who thought that was going to happen?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I have to say, I think it's exciting that Seattle landed a player like Cano as well as the other free agent signings. Mariner fans must be going crazy over that. They must have been Sleepless in Seattle! lol It has to be great when you have rooted for a team your entire life that never appeared to be in the market for big signings -- especially when the Yankees were involved. The Yankees would win every time.

I like the idea of evening out the playing field. I think it's great for baseball fans all over the country. Congrats Seattle fans, and good for you.

FTR Cano has said he spoke to Felix before he signed, and Felix told him how great the Mariners' organization has been to him and his family. He also told him he would be treated like family there. Apparently, these convesations were appealing to Cano, who felt no connection with the Yankees' organization. Good for him, and good for Seattle.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Seatle has a team that is actually going in the right direction if their young players start to come into their own this year could make some noises. Always liked Zunino the C, Seager /Ackley/Hultzen [if he can come back healthy]/Walker are all good young players to go w/ Cano / King Felix / Iwakuma. Rumors that M's might be in hunt for Price as well w/ all the young talent they have might be match for Rays? Just glad someone finally stole a Yankee top player! Great listing on the WFAN.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

The Mariners are still not a very good team at all. 

They were 71-91, but they had an expected win-loss of 67-95 based on their run differential.

I  think their best-case scenario this year is about .500.

I don't think this roster is anywhere near close to contending just yet. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, you just got Cano. I don't know if it's just modesty on your part, but you just got Cano. I understand you still want pitching and maybe sure up your OF, and have too many second baseman, but you just got Cano.

Just saying. If I were a Mariners fan I would be thrilled. What a shock for Seattle fans. Who thought that was going to happen?

[/QUOTE] hold up!!..the M's got Cano?? Tongue OutWink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid the Mariners are doomed to making the same mistakes they've made in the post Griffey,Martinez and Buhner era...continuing to build teams that at are best .500 ball clubs. In the interest of trying to regain the support of the casual fan. 

The problem with the team is ownership and until the team is sold and Lincoln is sent packing they'll continue to wallow in the myre of mediocrity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From ESPN columnist David Schoenfield:

... the mention of Morrison's one-time prospect status brings up this second list, Baseball America's top 100 prospect rankings from the spring of 2010:

4. Jesus Montero, Yankees
    11. Dustin Ackley, Mariners
    13. Justin Smoak, Rangers
    20. Logan Morrison, Marlins
    30. Michael Saunders, Mariners

I don't really have a point here, other than to point out the obvious (prospects are risky) and that, back in 2010, any general managers would have loved to have those five guys on their team in 2014.

The Mariners have all five. And Robinson Cano. And Felix Hernandez. And might still not be a winning team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/42913/two-lists-to-make-you-laugh-and-cry

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Except for Justin Smoak, that guy is terrible. Sorry. Check out his stats. Carp is better. Even in the Minors. You got fleeced.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] hold up!!..the M's got Cano?? Tongue OutWink

[/QUOTE]

LOL! I still can't believe it. Didn't even know he was on their radar -- or in their price zone...