Marlins Shopping Logan Morrison, should the sox get him to play 1b?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: Marlins Shopping Logan Morrison, should the sox get him to play 1b?

If Grienke doesn't have the "makeup" to succeed in Boston, certainly Morrison does not!

L. Morrison = "the grass is always greener."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Given the ineptitude of Ben Cherington, it's highly unlikely that he will Acquire anyone who would actually help the team. His only decent signing was C. Ross, a back-up OFer who was forced into FT service which was not part of the plan. He was supposed to platoon with Sweeney. He had too good a year for the Sox to bring him back, too expensive.

Ben wants to build a big-market team with small-market money, and his evaluation of players is suspect at best.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to toccooa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You begged for Hunter and a bill of 26M. Your basis was his contract year and less than full year production numbers, and your meaningless rhetoric about "what a great clubhouse leader he is".

[/QUOTE]

We havent had a great clubhouse leader since we got fleeced in a trade that sent him him to KC.  For some reason, Theo gets a pass on this god awful trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I remember posting about the void of player leadership on the 2012 season.  I stated that there is a sox player w/ a competitive spirit who is also a great teammate.  The only problem is that he now plays on Oak.  Everyone (incorrectly) thought I was posting about Reddick.

I'm not in the clubhouse, but I met Manny DelCarmen a couple of years back.  He told me who the unquestioned leader on the team was in 2008 (hint: he lost his starting job and wasnt playing everyday) .  The guy who took his demotion w class.  The guy who always kept himself ready to play and was willing to do whatever was asked of him.  The guy who demanded competitiveness from his teammates.  A guy who DelCarmen referred to as "the most down to earth ballplayer he had ever played with." The guy we traded to KC for a 1 yr wonder , run of the mill pen-arm.

Disclaimer: anyone who takes a swing at James Shields instantly becomes one of my all-time faves (so I'm biased here).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

to KC?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

to KC?

[/QUOTE]

Coco Crisp

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

One fan suggested Logan Morrison, Ricky Nolasco and Yunel Escobar to the Red Sox:

https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/269197631673208832

Thoughts?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One fan suggested Logan Morrison, Ricky Nolasco and Yunel Escobar to the Red Sox:

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Not crazy about any of those guys at all, especially when it would cost some prospects. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

to KC?

[/QUOTE]

I take it back.  I said Coco was our last great clubhouse leader.  Apologies to VMART.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Coco stole a lot of bases last year for Oakland and had a good year overall. I think he put up better numbers than Elles. Why can't we get players like that>?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Coco stole a lot of bases last year for Oakland and had a good year overall. I think he put up better numbers than Elles. Why can't we get players like that>?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Crisp and Ellsbury are similar talents.  Ellsbury was the best offensive player in the American League in 2011, while Crisp is essentially a late inning defensive replacement...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Not crazy about any of those guys at all, especially when it would cost some prospects. 

[/QUOTE]

No names goiing back?

Honestly, all would be upgrades, but the Sox might need to do better.

And really, Morrison has been slowly sliding downhill, and apparently has some serious personality issues.   It's not often the guy second on the team in HRS and RBIs gets sent down to the minors like Morrison did in 2011 after a Twitter tirade over the hitting coach's dismissal.

The real issue with Morrison appears to be that he thinks he is a superstar, and thinks he deserves to be treated like one.    He seems to forget that first he has to play like one...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember posting about the void of player leadership on the 2012 season.  I stated that there is a sox player w/ a competitive spirit who is also a great teammate.  The only problem is that he now plays on Oak.  Everyone (incorrectly) thought I was posting about Reddick.

I'm not in the clubhouse, but I met Manny DelCarmen a couple of years back.  He told me who the unquestioned leader on the team was in 2008 (hint: he lost his starting job and wasnt playing everyday) .  The guy who took his demotion w class.  The guy who always kept himself ready to play and was willing to do whatever was asked of him.  The guy who demanded competitiveness from his teammates.  A guy who DelCarmen referred to as "the most down to earth ballplayer he had ever played with." The guy we traded to KC for a 1 yr wonder , run of the mill pen-arm.

Disclaimer: anyone who takes a swing at James Shields instantly becomes one of my all-time faves (so I'm biased here).

[/QUOTE]

He also said in an interview that Shields punched like a girl. I've loved him ever since.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to toccooa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So I guess by your unrealistic standards we should field a team of Mauro Gomez', since no FA in their right mind would sign for what YOU think they are worth.

Softlaw was right, but the jock sniffers were bent over cheerleading middle management's FA disco. I only come here to read Softlaw and Bill and PelosiReturns, but leave because of all the sanatized propaganda on this Board. No, Crawford @ 142M was an unrealistic standard. Jenks @ 12M was an unrealistic standard. An early extension for Beckett was an unreleastic standard. 6M for a career backup catcher with a market value nearly half that is an unreleastic standard.

In your catatonic drivel, you left out my low one year single digits base FA contract with option offer that would acquire Loney to platoon with Gomez. You also left out that "all-time great deal" that left the giant hole at 1st base. 

I'm the one who said the Twins could afford to and would extend Mauer. There's a stooge on here who said the Twins couldn't afford to buy out Mauer's free agent years. His only pitiful spin is that I said it would be for base 16 to 18, when I said that his value ended at that point but the Twins could afford to pay up to base 25M and, because of issues beyond baseball production, would extend him.

Oh, and howd that 1 yr market for "the racist" (your words) Hunter work out for ya? 2/26, thats how it worked out. Good for him, hes certainly worth it.

It worked out great, because his value ends as a back bencher platoon guy on a low single digits base and it scared the incompetent Cherry off. The question is, how will 2 and 26 million work out for the Tigers. The answer will be "Maggs", and "when do we write this off and try to sweep it under the rug".  

You have no clue, and it becomes yet even more clear with every post on FA you make.

In fact, InEpstein and Cherry and you have no clue, and it becomes more clear with nearly every FA targets and market off they make.  A clueless man who says "that' just how it works", offers 142M to Crawford and 26M to old man loser Hunter.

The near quarter billion dollar a year labor dance hasn't worked well for the Red Sox. Buying Hunter for 26M from an LA dumpster would have fit perfectly with the Red Sox middle management "philosophy" of overpaying old and 2nd and 3rd rate profiles by bidding against themselves and expanding the market before the last calls are made by the desperate players.

The Red Sox need to acquire J. Upton, not chase 2nd and 3rd rate FA in a pitiful FA market that has zeo first rate profiles.

You begged for Hunter and a bill of 26M. Your basis was his contract year and less than full year production numbers, and your meaningless rhetoric about "what a great clubhouse leader he is".

It's about value and fit, understanding market value and the market value bidding process. You and the Red Sox middle management are about being the biggest bend over and stick it in space for Big Labor.

The sure sign of incompetence is despearately bidding in FA markets when those markets provide nothing but bad debt on the value and fit department.

Let's see the next "deal of the century" trade from Cherry. The FA stimulis for old back catchers and 2nd rate OF'ers and pitchers has been an abject failure only topped by the entitlement fiscal cliff for a bankrupt federal government that has made false promises to the entitlement voting national electorate. Warren Buffet should simply take care of them as he's so committed to do, and pitch in his fair share by simply donating to the National Trust when he finished fighting them on the tax code he claims overcharged him. 

[/QUOTE]

haha..Thanks. I figured that would get a nice mindless rant out of you...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He also said in an interview that Shields punched like a girl. I've loved him ever since.

[/QUOTE]

Ive always been a fan of coco since his performance for the tribe in the playoffs. He was good for Boston. too bad he kept getting those nagging injuries. Good to see him leading a young A's team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I feel like our 2011 and 2012 teams lacked a sense of urgency.  I feel that we lacked competitiveness.  Coco brought a lot of this to the table.  His teammates have loved him everywhere he has gone.  And I was very impressed the way he handled his 2008 demotion. Kept himself ready to play, kept himself part of the team.  Celebrated when the team won (and when Ellsbury did well).  Coco is a class act and provides great veteran leadership.  I really feel that we could have used him in the clubhouse over these last two (frustrating) years

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I feel like our 2011 and 2012 teams lacked a sense of urgency.  I feel that we lacked competitiveness.  Coco brought a lot of this to the table.  His teammates have loved him everywhere he has gone.  And I was very impressed the way he handled his 2008 demotion. Kept himself ready to play, kept himself part of the team.  Celebrated when the team won (and when Ellsbury did well).  Coco is a class act and provides great veteran leadership.  I really feel that we could have used him in the clubhouse over these last two (frustrating) years

[/QUOTE]

I think part of Bens plan is to acquire players with these kind of leadership qualities. Ross is a good start.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's too bad Ellsbury's "injuries" make Crisp's injuries life threatening, in comparison.

Crisp's career stats show he not a "career late innings replacement". He was the last starting CF'er on a Red Sox division championship team.

As for Hunter and 2 years, I said his value was one year and low single digit base. I always say the market isn't based upon someone bidding against themselves due to incompetence and agent puffery. Bottom line, your beggging for 2 years and 26M for Hunter is nothing short of hysteria. Crawford and 142M doesn't look so bad in light of that, though it will always be absurd. Angels were correct that they dropped out at about 100M, which was also absurd on the value scale.

[/QUOTE]

Lies...I said 2 years 8-10M per...If you can find somewhere where I said 2/26 Id like to see it...16-20M is a far cry from 26. Also the word is advocating for Hunter, not begging you dolt.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]

Mauro Gomez minor league stats blow Logan Morrisons out of the water.....

[/QUOTE]

That's what I see regarding Gomez. Why isn't he an option at 1st base is beyond me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mauro Gomez minor league stats blow Logan Morrisons out of the water.....

[/QUOTE]

That's what I see regarding Gomez. Why isn't he an option at 1st base is beyond me.

[/QUOTE]

Because hes a 28yr old career AAAA guy...I think he could be used in a platoon or a bench guy, but not as a FT starter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Ive always been a fan of coco since his performance for the tribe in the playoffs. He was good for Boston. too bad he kept getting those nagging injuries. Good to see him leading a young A's team.

I always liked him as well.  He never got enough credit for helping us win 2007.  Not enough people in this forum understand the importance of fielding.

Having said that, once Ells arrived, CC had to go, just like Ells will go because of JBJ.

25. This post has been removed.