Matt Barnes Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Matt Barnes Update

Lost in the events of yesterdays great win and devastating loss, prospect Matt Barnes made his 2nd career start in Greeneville.  As good as Barnes was in his first start, he was arguably better this time out, only surrendering 1 hit and no walks in 5 innings to go with 7 K's.  The Sox will likely look to limit his innings in his first season, a he only threw 116.2 innings in 2011.  Barnes is now 1-0 on the season with a 0 ERA and only 3 hits allowed and a K:BB of 16:2.

How long until he starts moving up through the system?  It'd be nice to see him reach at least A+ Salem this season.

I tried to link to his MiLB stat page, but BDC won't let me because of the abbreviation for "position" in the link.  This is complete BS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Matt Barnes Update

Apparently BS is ok, but P O S isn't.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he may move up to A+ mid-summer. I'd like to see him in Portland, but I am biased. I will be there this summer to catch a game or two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Barnes Update:
    [QUOTE]I think he may move up to A+ mid-summer. I'd like to see him in Portland, but I am biased. I will be there this summer to catch a game or two.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

If he gets to A+ mid season and does well, he could see Portland early in 2013.  I think it'd be more likely to see him in Portland this year under Epstein.  Who knows how Ben will handle pushing the prospects.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Matt Barnes Update:
    [QUOTE]Lost in the events of yesterdays great win and devastating loss, prospect Matt Barnes made his 2nd career start in Greeneville.  As good as Barnes was in his first start, he was arguably better this time out, only surrendering 1 hit and no walks in 5 innings to go with 7 K's.  The Sox will likely look to limit his innings in his first season, a he only threw 116.2 innings in 2011.  Barnes is now 1-0 on the season with a 0 ERA and only 3 hits allowed and a K:BB of 16:2. How long until he starts moving up through the system?  It'd be nice to see him reach at least A+ Salem this season. I tried to link to his MiLB stat page, but BDC won't let me because of the abbreviation for "position" in the link.  This is complete BS.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Matt "in my opinion" should be the only untouchable pitching prospect in our system today.  Everyone loved this guy at Uconn and he has always carried himself like a pro, very little fazes him.  Hopefully, in two more years he proves us right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Matt Barnes Update : Matt "in my opinion" should be the only untouchable pitching prospect in our system today.  Everyone loved this guy at Uconn and he has always carried himself like a pro, very little fazes him.  Hopefully, in two more years he proves us right.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Barnes and Ranaudo would look really good in this rotation.  Ranaudo did well in his debut last season, although I'd prefer if he opened 2012 in Salem again, until he shows he has mastered that level after posting a 4.33 ERA in 81 A+ innings last year.

I'm looking at 2014 timelines for both and wouldn't trade either.  The Sox aren't going to be in a position to develop pitchers like these going forward under the new CBA (unless this years team completely breaks down and we're picking in the mid-high 1st round).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Barnes Update : Barnes and Ranaudo would look really good in this rotation.  Ranaudo did well in his debut last season, although I'd prefer if he opened 2012 in Salem again, until he shows he has mastered that level after posting a 4.33 ERA in 81 A+ innings last year. I'm looking at 2014 timelines for both and wouldn't trade either.  The Sox aren't going to be in a position to develop pitchers like these going forward under the new CBA (unless this years team completely breaks down and we're picking in the mid-high 1st round).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I agree JB, but have never been as high on Renaudo as some fans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt Barnes Update : I agree JB, but have never been as high on Renaudo as some fans.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

To be clear, I'm not saying he's a #1 pitcher at the MLB level, but a solid #2/#3 at cheap money would go a long way for this team.

I think a lot of the hype around Ranaudo is still based on what he did on the cape while pitching for his deal with the Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's a link to Matt Barnes stats

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=598264

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Thanks, this is one of the best things about this message board, the updates on the prospects.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks, this is one of the best things about this message board, the updates on the prospects.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I'm considering a weekly or semi monthly update on prospects.  It's good to know hat's happening on the farm.  Brentz for instance is struggling something fierce so far with more K's than total bases (12 K's, 10 bases) and is a name that some people could have looked to for OF depth in a pinch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I love the prospect updates as well. I used to pay more attention when I lived near Portland, but boom and JB have done a great job on the minor league updates.  Thanks guys!

Here's some small sample size numbers:
    AAA
    Repko (9PA) 1.431 OPS
    Nava  (23)  .949
    Middlebrooks (35)  .914
    M Gomez  (32)  .861 with 2 HRs
    Ciriaco  (24)  .725
    Lars A (33)  .714
    Exposito (11) .673
    Lava  (30)  .647
    Kroeger (25) .611
    Lin (24)  .611
    Hassan (28)  .548
    Spears  (25)  .510
    Iggy  (32)  .459
    Team  (331)  .251/.355/.366/.720  (7 HRs in 9 games)

Cook (12 IP)      2-0  1.50  1.167
    Duckwrth (12)  1-0  1.54  1.286
    Germano (10)  1-1  3.60  0.900
    Inman  (3)        0-0  0.00  1.875
    Mathis  5)         0-1  1.80  1.200
    Miller  (2)          0-0  0.00  1.200
    Mrtnsn (4)        0-0  0.00   0.500
    Olndrf  (6)         1-0  0.00  0.500
    T Pena  (5)        0-1  1.69  0.938
    Tazawa (6)       0-0   0.00  1.000
    A Wilson (5)     0-0   1.80   0.800
    Team  (76)        5-4   1.42  1.039

AA Best
    Linares  (40)  1.225 with 3 HRs in 9 games
    R Dent  (20) .900

Balcom-Miller (11)  1.64  0.818
    A Kurcz  (5)  1.80  1.000
    J Kerhrt  (8)  2.25  1.125

A+ notables:
    Bogaerts  (31)  .795
    Britton  (8.1 IP)  12.96  1.680

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Balcom Miller is an interesting pitcher to me.  If we get hit by injuries the same way as last year, I wouldn't be surprised if he got called up late in the season for a start or two.  Long term he doesn't project as anything more than a middle inning arm, but you can't argue with his results as a starter either.  I say let him keep starting until he proves he can't.  At the very least I see a mid-season promotion to AAA in his future, probably after 10-12 starts since that would give him a full AA season (16 starts last year at AA), with the condition that he has to show that last year's AA numbers were a fluke (4.81 ERA).

He's consistently been around a 9 K/9, but could use some work with his control, about 3.5 BB / 9 last year.  Last years BB rate could either be a result of a loss of control (by his standards) or hitters laying off of his pitches as he advances through the system.  In A+ Asheville (Rockies org) he only walked 19 in 108 2/3 IP! (1.57 BB/9)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I would think that both Barnes and Ranaundo's timeline would be late 2013 for the preverbial cup of coffee with 2014 as the year they both could make a strong push at a roster spot. Given the current contracts of Lester, Beckett and Buchholz with Lackey also slated to return next year. We have the luxaery of letting both develope without having to rush either. If either or both Dobrount and/or Bard step up this year. We could then have an embarassment of riches in 2014...