Maybe the schedule favors Tampa after all

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Maybe the schedule favors Tampa after all

Granted, they still have to beat Cleveland to get to the ALDS and they will start the playoffs, including yesterday, with 4 straight road games in 3 different cities.

But they also will have some significant advantages if they get to Friday afternoon at Fenway--

1.  They will have played two tough games for all the marbles and kept their lineup and rotation and bullpen fresh vs. the Sox who will have five days of doing very little and nothing competitively.

2.  At the same time, it's still a light schedule for the Rays with games on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  They should arrive at Fenway fully rested and primed.   

3.  They will start their two very good lefties, Moore and Price, in games 1 and 2 on normal rest.  Lefties, especially good lefties, have been tough on the Sox this year.  This means the same two can also pitch games 4 and 5.  However, Moore would be going on one day less than normal rest, pitching on a Friday and then a Tuesday. 

4.  Game 3 at Tampa will bring back Cobb on normal rest and more than likely against Buchholz.  A good matchup for Tampa I think even though Buchholz has pitched well in September. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Maybe the schedule favors Tampa after all

#1 - there should had been NO days off for Tampa

#2 - having 2 bona fide aces makes any schedule favorable

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Granted, they still have to beat Cleveland to get to the ALDS and they will start the playoffs, including yesterday, with 4 straight road games in 3 different cities.

But they also will have some significant advantages if they get to Friday afternoon at Fenway--

1.  They will have played two tough games for all the marbles and kept their lineup and rotation and bullpen fresh vs. the Sox who will have five days of doing very little and nothing competitively.

2.  At the same time, it's still a light schedule for the Rays with games on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  They should arrive at Fenway fully rested and primed.   

3.  They will start their two very good lefties, Moore and Price, in games 1 and 2 on normal rest.  Lefties, especially good lefties, have been tough on the Sox this year.  This means the same two can also pitch games 4 and 5.  However, Moore would be going on one day less than normal rest, pitching on a Friday and then a Tuesday. 

4.  Game 3 at Tampa will bring back Cobb on normal rest and more than likely against Buchholz.  A good matchup for Tampa I think even though Buchholz has pitched well in September. 

I am not concerned about Moore. I think we can beat him. Price is going to be a handful, no doubt, but if he is matched against Buchholz, I pick CB in that one. Thats why I think Buchholz should be starting game 2: he is the only guy on our staff who matches up favorably with Price. We beat the Rays in the season series 12 games to 7, and I think we will also beat them in the playoffs if we face them, though I think the Indians will beat them tomorrow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Anyone have probable Cleve/ Rays lineups for tomorrow?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Well.  we lost ALDS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I am sure TB would pitch someone else in Game 4 unless they are down 2 games to 1....Price will defintely be going Game 2 and Game 5.....which Is why I posted the Sox would have been better off if there had not been a Tie....with No Tie, Price would have been the Starter in the WC game and then could not have gone until Game 3 and only once in the ALDS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I am sure TB would pitch someone else in Game 4 unless they are down 2 games to 1....Price will defintely be going Game 2 and Game 5.....which Is why I posted the Sox would have been better off if there had not been a Tie....with No Tie, Price would have been the Starter in the WC game and then could not have gone until Game 3 and only once in the ALDS.

interesting and good points but we never know what can happen with rainouts, granted TB is indoors.....We are in for some rain next week.......that could throw a lot of things off and perhaps back in our favor......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to tomnev's comment:

interesting and good points but we never know what can happen with rainouts, granted TB is indoors.....We are in for some rain next week.......that could throw a lot of things off and perhaps back in our favor......

Very true Andrew....best laid plans of Mice and Front Burners!!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

With the exception of the 2008 ALCS and the meatballs Beckett, Lester, Wakefield and Dice K were serving up to Longoria, Evan has been a complete and total bust in playoff games.  I can't believe he hit HR's in 4 straight playoff games off of each of our starters.  And Francona not only continued to pitch to him but continued to give him fastballs on the inside half.  If you recall in the WS, the Phillies at least wised up and pitched Upton and Longoria the exact opposite of how we went after him.

Anways, Longoria won't have the likes of Beckett Wake and Dice K to beat up on now. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Facing these two lefties 3 times and maybe 4 if they get desperate is a tougher match-up than the righties the Tigers, or A's can throw at us.

But, not to worry, it's all about the "umps and the house". softy told us so.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Facing these two lefties 3 times and maybe 4 if they get desperate is a tougher match-up than the righties the Tigers, or A's can throw at us.

Sox4ever

But Price pitched a complete game on monday nite.  If he pitch game #2, he will only have four days rest for game #5.  I doubt he can go deep in both games.  Maybe Matt Moore can do it on game #1 cuz he is well rested for 5 days as well he only went 5 to 6 innings on Sunday.

Still the whole Boston's rotation are so rested as well for the whole team.  Tampa got a game tonite which it is not easy for them to win it in Cleveland.   Remember, Cleveland havent been in the post season for years.  So they are more motivated than Tampa!!

Go Cleveland!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

PD was on Mike and Mike this morning and said he didnt like the 4-5 day layoff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

But Price pitched a complete game on monday nite.  If he pitch game #2, he will only have four days rest for game #5.  I doubt he can go deep in both games.  Maybe Matt Moore can do it on game #1 cuz he is well rested for 5 days as well he only went 5 to 6 innings on Sunday.

If it's a do or die 5th game, I doubt Maddon will hesitate to use Price on short rest. We could see Moore and Price twice each. That scares me, even on short rest or limited pitch counts.

Still the whole Boston's rotation are so rested as well for the whole team.  Tampa got a game tonite which it is not easy for them to win it in Cleveland.   Remember, Cleveland havent been in the post season for years.  So they are more motivated than Tampa!!

Well rested or too rested. Sometimes it's a thin line.

Go Cleveland!!

YES! YES! YES!

[/QUOTE]

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I think a 3 day lay-off is perfect...  now Tampa has already had more rest then they would during the regular season while still staying sharp with these 2 single play-off games.

Youre right. Critical that Cleveland wins imo. If not, we could be in for a very tough alds-win or lose.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Although I have to say, Oakland and Detroit dont exactly have a cake walk!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Sox4ever

If it's a do or die 5th game, I doubt Maddon will hesitate to use Price on short rest. We could see Moore and Price twice each. That scares me, even on short rest or limited pitch counts.

Well rested or too rested. Sometimes it's a thin line.

Go Cleveland!!

YES! YES! YES!

Game 2 is on Saturday....Game 5 the following Thursday.....that is normal rest for Price......he pitched Monday, so the Saturday start in game 2 would also be on Normal Rest.....I do not see why there would be ny issue with him pitching deep into games

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fri  Moore (-1 day rest)

Sat Price

Mon Cobb

Tue Moore (-1 day rest)

Thur Price

The "issue" is really with Moore not Price.

They could lessen the double whammy on Moore by doing this:

Fri: Price (-1 day rest)

Sat: Moore

Mon: Cobb

Tue: Archer

Thur: Price

I seriously doubt they do this, but messing with Moore for 2 straight starts is very risky.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Fri  Moore (-1 day rest)

Sat Price

Mon Cobb

Tue Moore (-1 day rest)

Thur Price

I seriously doubt they do this, but messing with Moore for 2 straight starts is very risky.

Sox4ever

Moore will be on regular 4 days rest on Friday.  Couldn't line up for them any better. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Fri  Moore (-1 day rest)

Sat Price

Mon Cobb

Tue Moore (-1 day rest)

Thur Price

Sox4ever

Moore will be on regular 4 days rest on Friday.  Couldn't line up for them any better. 

[/QUOTE]

Right. My bad.

Fri  Moore 

Sat Price

Mon Cobb

Tue Moore (-1 day rest)

Thur Price

My biggest fear: facing tough lefties in 4 games of a 5 game series. And, Cobb's no pushover either!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Fri  Moore (-1 day rest)

Sat Price

Mon Cobb

Tue Moore (-1 day rest)

Thur Price

Sox4ever

Right. My bad.

Fri  Moore 

Sat Price

Mon Cobb

Tue Moore (-1 day rest)

Thur Price

My biggest fear: facing tough lefties in 4 games of a 5 game series. And, Cobb's no pushover either!

I am not afraid of Matt Moore. I think we can beat him, and I think if we beat him in game 1 we will be in his head. He is relatively young and inexperieced. I don't see the series going five games; we won't face Price in game 5. Again, game 1 is the key. We need Jon Lester to really step it up and throw a gem. He cannot afford to go out and surrender 4 or 5 runs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

My theory though flawed in many ways:

Matt Moore escaped from the Yankees about ten days ago because of walks-, an incredible fortunate performance for him.

Last night Cobb escaped some very similar circumstances---both games could have taken different turns.

My suggestion, and it's new so hang with me:

1. Sox hit with men on and drive them in.

2. Take advantage of every opportunity the Ray's give you and they will give you opportunities.

3. Get early leads and keep McGee, Peralta and Rodney 380 feet from the pitchers mound.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Amazing how few understood my OP.  I say again, the schedule now favors the Rays.  The Sox, especially the hitters, are going into games 1 and 2 cold and against two good lefties.  A sweep by Tampa is entirely possible.  The numbers favor the Sox, but big mo is with the Rays.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Amazing how few understood my OP.  I say again, the schedule now favors the Rays.  The Sox, especially the hitters, are going into games 1 and 2 cold and against two good lefties.  A sweep by Tampa is entirely possible.  The numbers favor the Sox, but big mo is with the Rays.  

You're right, the Rays are perfectly set up for this series. 

I've said right from the start that I didn't buy the idea that the new wild card setup gave up a big advantage to winning the division.  The wild card winners do have some things on their side.