Maybe we all just need to adjust our expectations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgmiles75. Show cgmiles75's posts

Maybe we all just need to adjust our expectations

For the first time in a decade, the Red Sox are going into a season looking like also-rans. However, isn't this what we all grew up with? Being a Red Sox fan used to mean rooting for a team front-loaded with two or three superstars surrounded by a motley crew of underachievers, has-beens, and never-were's, and hoping against hope they'd find a way to pull it together while knowing deep down the talent wasn't there. Well, that's what we find ourself back to. Maybe we all need to stop viewing our team as an elite, cornerstone franchise who is expected to win every year. That's not what we were for the last century, and it's not how we should view ourselves now. The question is, is this a one-year throwback or a fundamental correction of the franchise's identity?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

Re: Maybe we all just need to adjust our expectations

Wasn't this team the best team in baseball for a large stretch of last season?  They lost two guys.  Papelbon and Scutaro.  They replaced Papelbon with a younger, all-star closer in Bailey.  They have a solid SS prospect in Iglesias.  They didn't make a big splash in FA, but did they really need to?  They needed a starter, the best one out there was CJ Wilson, and he's 31.  Did you really want to sign another guy to a 5 year deal that would carry him through his mid thirties?  Not to mention the fact that he has only been a full time starter for 2 years.  They still have a top 3 payroll.  The team will be expected to win, and rightfully so, they have a ton of talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The Sox finished 2011 with the same record as the World Series Champs.  All is not lost.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Most of the roster for 'The best Team in the History of the World' is the same.  I'm predicting 98 wins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Adjust THIS.

My expectation is a club that is going to be battling it out for the crown of the best division in baseball.  My expectation is that Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youk, Gonzalez, and Ortiz are going to be absolutely mashing, as usual.  My expectation is that Beckett is going to be awesome, just like he was last year until his ankle injury.  My expectation is that Lester is going to be really good, as usual.  My expecation is that Clay B., if he is healthy, is going to be nasty.  My expectation is that Dice returns in contract year form, on the same page with Bobby V., slangin' (and nibbling, of course).  My HOPE is that Bard can backup his bold calls for a spot in the rotation with success.  My expectation is that the backend of the pen, with Aceves, Melancon, and Bailey will be, along with the Yankees, one of the very best in the game (and that is not even considering if Bobby Jenks can lay off the cheeseburgers long enough to give anything at all).  And, above all, I expect these really good baseball players to be bolstered by a serious chip on the collective shoulder.  

Are there question marks?  

Yes, there are, and the season perhaps revolves around them.  But all this 'adjust our expectations' talk is seriously pathetic.  Buck up little campers.  pitchers and catchers report soon and the Sox are gonna be nasty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Sox/Yanks/Rays, toss-up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

My expectations have not changed.

Anything better than third in the East will be an unexpected result...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In Response to Maybe we all just need to adjust our expectations:
    [QUOTE]For the first time in a decade, the Red Sox are going into a season looking like also-rans. However, isn't this what we all grew up with? Being a Red Sox fan used to mean rooting for a team front-loaded with two or three superstars surrounded by a motley crew of underachievers, has-beens, and never-were's, and hoping against hope they'd find a way to pull it together while knowing deep down the talent wasn't there. Well, that's what we find ourself back to. Maybe we all need to stop viewing our team as an elite, cornerstone franchise who is expected to win every year. That's not what we were for the last century, and it's not how we should view ourselves now. The question is, is this a one-year throwback or a fundamental correction of the franchise's identity?
    Posted by cgmiles75[/QUOTE]Every year there are about 10 teams with a reasonable shot of going all the way to the WS.Last year the sox were in the top 3 and the cards were about #10.This year the sox have a reasonable shot but likely from the #10 slot.That's a reasonable expectation for any team's FA to aspire too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

They aren't not worse than last year and last year they gave up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

It's more fun to exceed lower expectation than to fall far short of high expectations.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Maybe we all just need to adjust our expectations:
    [QUOTE]Adjust THIS. My expectation is a club that is going to be battling it out for the crown of the best division in baseball.  My expectation is that Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youk, Gonzalez, and Ortiz are going to be absolutely mashing, as usual.  My expectation is that Beckett is going to be awesome, just like he was last year until his ankle injury.  My expectation is that Lester is going to be really good, as usual.  My expecation is that Clay B., if he is healthy, is going to be nasty.  My expectation is that Dice returns in contract year form, on the same page with Bobby V., slangin' (and nibbling, of course).  My HOPE is that Bard can backup his bold calls for a spot in the rotation with success.  My expectation is that the backend of the pen, with Aceves, Melancon, and Bailey will be, along with the Yankees, one of the very best in the game (and that is not even considering if Bobby Jenks can lay off the cheeseburgers long enough to give anything at all).  And, above all, I expect these really good baseball players to be bolstered by a serious chip on the collective shoulder.   Are there question marks?   Yes, there are, and the season perhaps revolves around them.  But all this 'adjust our expectations' talk is seriously pathetic.  Buck up little campers.  pitchers and catchers report soon and the Sox are gonna be nasty.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

If there were no question marks, what would be the point of watching?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

2012 Red Sox will end up:

A. Closing in on 1 Billion in 4 year labor costs and another 3rd place AL East finish and zero playoff wins in the last 4 years 

or

B. Closing in on 1 Billion in 4 year labor costs and a quick playoff exit after zero to 2 playoff wins in the last 4 years

I am pulling for A, so that Cherry can blow it up and rid the team of the loser faces still under contract. Valentine will need to get rid of several loser faces from InEpstein train wreck.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

The correct question is not how close are we now to last years team in talent, but rather how that talent stacks up against this years competition. Many teams are significantly improved, while we are slightly less than we were. I predict 91 wins and lots of golf being played in the fall. I'll raise this to 96 wins and a playoff berth if Dice returns early and is dominant, allowing Bard to resume his late inning relief role. But this is obviously a HUGE if.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to "Re: Maybe we all just need to adjust our expectations": [QUOTE]2012 Red Sox will end up: A. Closing in on 1 Billion in 4 year labor costs and another 3rd place AL East finish and zero playoff wins in the last 4 years  or B. Closing in on 1 Billion in 4 year labor costs and a quick playoff exit after zero to 2 playoff wins in the last 4 years I am pulling for A, so that Cherry can blow it up and rid the team of the loser faces still under contract. Valentine will need to get rid of several loser faces from InEpstein train wreck. Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE] No real sox fan would hope that they lose.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"No real sox fan would hope that they lose."  

He is a Sox fan but his desire to be the undiscovered genius of the board that Mazz gets all his column ideas from perverts his fan interest to root and to cheer like the rest of us.

"Being a Red Sox fan used to mean rooting for a team front-loaded with two or three superstars surrounded by a motley crew of underachievers, has-beens, and never-were's, and hoping against hope they'd find a way to pull it together while knowing deep down the talent wasn't there."

Agreed. It also meant no championships for decade after decade. The difference now is that we have a hypocritcal front office that goes on spending sprees and then plays the small market card when bad contract decisions are made and we come up short against better managed franchises. What you have forgotten in your estimation is that ticket prices are outrageous now and TV ratings from the Sox networks are crucial. The Sox can't afford to put out a mediocre, unwatchable team. However I do think they are spooked by the Crawford and Lackey contracts so I guess we'll be cheering for the new small market Sox LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It's the so-called analysts / experts at ESPN that will need to make some serious adjustments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview/2011/news/story?page=11expertpicks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

[QUOTE]It's the so-called analysts / experts at ESPN that will need to make some serious adjustments. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview/2011/news/story?page=11expertpicks
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

You know those are predictions for last year, right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Adjust expectations?  Okay then. Red Sox 80 games out by August and 110 out by Labor Day. Do the math, it is pretty bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Also Rans? You've got to be kidding me! We had best team in baseball for 3 mos of season last year. Lost 4 of the 5 starters to injuries at one point or another during season. Lost Youk / JD for 2nd half basically, Agon limping around last mos. Bullpen toast by end of season because of lost starters. What RS need more than anything is to stay healthy and find 1 more starter and believe they will again will WS contenders. The biggest trade RS made this offseason might be the new Training and Medical Staffs brought in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It should be an interesting season.  Our hopes revolve around the health and performance of the pitching staff (duh).

It's true the 2011 team won as many games as the 2011 WS champs.  But it's also true that we play in a very tough division having to beat one of the Yanks or Rays out and playing them 36 games.

We really have to play the Rays better this year.  They ate our lunch last year and have been since 2008 head-to-head. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: this will be our team this tear

posted at 1/18/2012 11:41 AM EST
    First: 12/5/2010
    Last: 2/2/2012
    I don't think anyone's rooting for them to finish third, just making an honest assessment. Of course, if everything breaks right, this could be a 100-win team. The problem is that there's no room for error here, and the roster as constructed could slip into mediocrity with one injury or subpar season by any of our three legit starters. The frustration comes from how obvious this is to anyone, indicating that the FO is either incompetent (which they assuredly are not), or are deliberately going this way d/t prioritizing the budget/tax rate over fielding a complete team.                                  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My expectations is that the Sox play hard for 162 games in the regular season and hopefully they'll do well enough to get into the postseason.I still believe this is a very competitive team and will be exciting to watch in 2012.It wouldn't surprise me to see them take the division.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lardin. Show lardin's posts

[QUOTE]Adjust THIS. My expectation is a club that is going to be battling it out for the crown of the best division in baseball.  My expectation is that Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youk, Gonzalez, and Ortiz are going to be absolutely mashing, as usual.  My expectation is that Beckett is going to be awesome, just like he was last year until his ankle injury.  My expectation is that Lester is going to be really good, as usual.  My expecation is that Clay B., if he is healthy, is going to be nasty.  My expectation is that Dice returns in contract year form, on the same page with Bobby V., slangin' (and nibbling, of course).  My HOPE is that Bard can backup his bold calls for a spot in the rotation with success.  My expectation is that the backend of the pen, with Aceves, Melancon, and Bailey will be, along with the Yankees, one of the very best in the game (and that is not even considering if Bobby Jenks can lay off the cheeseburgers long enough to give anything at all).  And, above all, I expect these really good baseball players to be bolstered by a serious chip on the collective shoulder.   Are there question marks?   Yes, there are, and the season perhaps revolves around them.  But all this 'adjust our expectations' talk is seriously pathetic.  Buck up little campers.  pitchers and catchers report soon and the Sox are gonna be nasty.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

The flip side is also true: 
    Ellsbury will regress slightly but still be really good.
    Youk hasnt played more than 140 games in three years, and is a year older.
    Ortiz, is also a year older, and in the last three years, last year was the aberration, not the norm.
    I expect Pedroia and Gonzalez and Ellsbury to be All stars
    Crawford's wrist injury affects him a lot, just like Youk's
    Varitek will not be here to settle the pitching staff.

Lester is the only lock in this rotation for 200 Innings.
    Beckett is a lock for 175 and will probably give closer to 190 but if he pulls that every other year thing, then what.
    Clay has never thrown more than 175 innings in his career.  And is coming off a major back injury.
    Bard has never thrown more than 77 innings as a pro, and there is a reason they converted him to a reliever, how many innings can he realistically throw?
    Aceves has never thrown more than 115 innings.
    There is no depth at AAA, if there was, Bard and Aceves would be in the bullpen. 

If there is an innings shortage from the rotation, then the bullpen will be overworked.  Even if the bullpen is a strength, like it was last year, they will get worn down towards the end of the season just like last year.  Add in that the Closer is gone, and the top two setup men are moving to the rotation. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maybe we all just need to adjust our expectations : The flip side is also true:  Ellsbury will regress slightly but still be really good. Youk hasnt played more than 140 games in three years, and is a year older. Ortiz, is also a year older, and in the last three years, last year was the aberration, not the norm. I expect Pedroia and Gonzalez and Ellsbury to be All stars Crawford's wrist injury affects him a lot, just like Youk's Varitek will not be here to settle the pitching staff. Lester is the only lock in this rotation for 200 Innings. Beckett is a lock for 175 and will probably give closer to 190 but if he pulls that every other year thing, then what. Clay has never thrown more than 175 innings in his career.  And is coming off a major back injury. Bard has never thrown more than 77 innings as a pro, and there is a reason they converted him to a reliever, how many innings can he realistically throw? Aceves has never thrown more than 115 innings. There is no depth at AAA, if there was, Bard and Aceves would be in the bullpen.  If there is an innings shortage from the rotation, then the bullpen will be overworked.  Even if the bullpen is a strength, like it was last year, they will get worn down towards the end of the season just like last year.  Add in that the Closer is gone, and the top two setup men are moving to the rotation.

Posted by lardin[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]My expectations is that the Sox play hard for 162 games in the regular season and hopefully they'll do well enough to get into the postseason.I still believe this is a very competitive team and will be exciting to watch in 2012.It wouldn't surprise me to see them take the division.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. This team will be in the playoffs. Last season we struggled with injuries. If this team can stay healthy, I really think that the Sox can win the division.