Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2012/02/josh_beckett_missing_the_point.html

One of Mazz' better articles. I am 100% in agreement with his assessment.

Boy, this season is going to be fun in the media roomSurprised

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head

Ah, enuff zenuff.  And Mazz is a wee bit late to the party on this.  He never has been much of an original thinker. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Oh Mazz, how novel.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I dunno...I think Mazz hit his thumb with the hammer. Beckett was not the reason the Sox collapsed...it was not replacing starting pitchers that went down early in the year, no team was going to overcome losing 2 starters for the bulk of the season having a third one pitch hurt and end up using the 6,7,8 or 9th options to fill out the starting rotation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head:
    [QUOTE]I dunno...I think Mazz hit his thumb with the hammer. Beckett was not the reason the Sox collapsed...it was not replacing starting pitchers that went down early in the year, no team was going to overcome losing 2 starters for the bulk of the season having a third one pitch hurt and end up using the 6,7,8 or 9th options to fill out the starting rotation.
    Posted by kannaman[/QUOTE]

I'll admit that, at no point was it obvious to me, but in retrospect, yes, we needed help.  It was really more than just two starters.  it was really three starters if you count that Lackey could've just gone on the DL.  Then it became four starters out when Beckett got hurt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

No disputing what he wrote , but it has been said many times over already. Time to turn that page.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head : I'll admit that, at no point was it obvious to me, but in retrospect, yes, we needed help.  It was really more than just two starters.  it was really three starters if you count that Lackey could've just gone on the DL.  Then it became four starters out when Beckett got hurt.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    We lost Doubrant during spring training...at the time I didn't think that much about it but that was a big loss, than Dice went down...Wake was never really effective and Buchholtz went down, Lackey shouldn't have been pitching but he is stubborn. Lester disappeared during September....all of that added up to the worse month for the Sox since August 2006.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I will only begin to take Mazz and other journalists' views on Chickengate seriously if they report when they first became aware of this Chicken-based disaster.

Either they knew during the good times and hid it, or didn't know about it.  In both cases they have a charge to answer:  hypocracy or incompetence?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Sounds exactly like my posts the past two weeks....

The Return of the Texas Con Man.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head : I'll admit that, at no point was it obvious to me, but in retrospect, yes, we needed help.  It was really more than just two starters.  it was really three starters if you count that Lackey could've just gone on the DL.  Then it became four starters out when Beckett got hurt.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Don't beat yourself up, Joe.  Despite big hits to the rotation's health, through August the Sox were on a 100+ win pace with a huge wild card lead, with two top SPs having great seasons and hopes that their 3rd "ace" would return before the season's end...even Lackey beat the Yanks and Rangers in August.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Sounds exactly like my posts the past two weeks.... The Return of the Texas Con Man.
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Not really. You've painted Beckett as being a bad seed and bad influence consistently from his days with the Marlins through ever year with the Sox. As Mazz noted, unless you again want to cherry-pick what you believe, he had a good work ethic and was a good role model in prior years with the Sox, but let them down last year.

That's the point I was making. I never argued with you that Beckett let them down at the end of the year. And it wasn't just Beckett that let them down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i loved beckett until 2010...he really was my fav player because of that passion...i cant believe this is the same guy the past few years with his nonchalant conditioning, idiotic decisions, and temper....

you dont have to go back far in my posts to see that i really was a huge josh fan....but facts are facts (imho) and he cost us the playoffs last yr....and judging by his kissfest with Millar, more garbage in next year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]i loved beckett until 2010...he really was my fav player because of that passion...i cant believe this is the same guy the past few years with his nonchalant conditioning, idiotic decisions, and temper.... you dont have to go back far in my posts to see that i really was a huge josh fan....but facts are facts (imho) and he cost us the playoffs last yr....and judging by his kissfest with Millar, more garbage in next year
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Beckett always had a nasty temper...I remember seeing him going ballistic one time in the dugout when he was with Florida.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head : I don't get that type of reasoning at all if a driver crosses the white line but   makes it home safely there is no story if a driver crosses the white line & crashes the story is he crossed the white line isn't that how the world works
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

I dunno zac, if a famous person with beer and chicken in the car crosses the white line and gets pulled over by the cops I think you've got a story.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Why is the article posted by Matt Pepin and why did it take you guys eight hours to read the front page of the Globe sports Red Sox page. Isn't it required reading to read that before coming here? I was waiting all day long for Geo to read it and gloat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head : I don't get that type of reasoning at all if a driver crosses the white line but   makes it home safely there is no story if a driver crosses the white line & crashes the story is he crossed the white line isn't that how the world works
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

That's because so many of these things value-neutral.  People just jump on these things because they are convenient and don't require a lot of analysis.  I doubt Beckett started drinking in September of this year.  He probably had drinks the year he beat the NYY.  Probably had drinks in 2007.  Was probably drinking during the NYY when he wasn't going 4-0 v them.  Was probably drinking during the four months when we had the best record in BB.

And it probably didn't matter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Why is the article posted by Matt Pepin and why did it take you guys eight hours to read the front page of the Globe sports Red Sox page. Isn't it required reading to read that before coming here? I was waiting all day long for Geo to read it and gloat.
    Posted by LadyLake[/QUOTE]

Matt Pepin is probably the web guy who posts stories to the website.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head : Beckett always had a nasty temper...I remember seeing him going ballistic one time in the dugout when he was with Florida.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

He's a competitor who doesn't like to be shown up in any way by the opposing players.  He went off on Ryan Howard during a spring training game a few years back.  Personally, I like to see that kind of fire in a pitcher, but it has to be channeled properly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Sounds like several of you missed what I think Mazz' point is; that Beckett's passion and work ethic have waned significantly and that it is 100% up to him to change that. The article was not about Chickengate IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1403449&position=0

another great article by gerry C on beckett's bad att and bloated sense of self-importance
     read the sentence about how beckett has never been an ace...powerful, true stuff....

once again proving...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NunciRom. Show NunciRom's posts

Hey my pison, I enjoyed Gerry's company very much on Sunday when he came over to indulge in Mom's spaghetti and meatballs. You and he are so in tune with Beckett's issues that one would think that you are the same person. But then who ever heard of an Italian named Callahan? LOL, good link big brother.