In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hopefully you don't know the whole story cause

that's pretty weak, if he was a sox and did it he'd be a legend

here's the vid

and oh BTW

''McCann had raised his mask .........................''

[/QUOTE]

First of all, I agree with you about McCann (I believe that's twice in the same month).  I don't see his actions here as being a punk.  IMO, he was sticking up for his pitcher, which I expect any good catcher to do.  McCann was being a good leader and teammate.

BUT, the reference to Varitek is uncalled for.  Seriously, when two players are in the heat of an argument that quickly escalates into a brawl, the last thing on anyone's mind is "gee, let me pause for a minute and raise my mask before we fight". 

Trust me on this one.  Any insinuation that Varitek was a wimp or that not taking off his mask is bush league is just silly.

[/QUOTE] Hi Kimmi, forget about raising the mask, he and Posada are lucky they got out while they can still bend down to tie their shoes :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: McCann, Yankees near deal ...

while i think the years were too much, a key to this may lie in Sanchez's development, if he can become an average to good ML catcher, he could keep McCann's workload down as he heads into the latter end of his pact 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A perfect fit for the yanks.  Anyone with the ego to prevent a home run hitter from crossing home plate will fit right in.  Let's see if he will try that with Papi.

[/QUOTE] i think this aspect is overblown and will be a non-issue (depending on the team) irt Boston(ie Ortiz)  i think it's safe/fair to say we've seen more than enough Yanks/Sox games to know Ortiz wouldn't come close to showing up a pitcher at the level the Marlin's guy did... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

McCann should be a very good player for the Yanks, at least for the first 3 years of the contract.  Having to go 5 years and give up a draft pick was costly, but McCann is definitely a huge upgrade over what the Yankees had last year.

yes and no

I mean it's a little bit of a contradiction

kinda of like posting if U R giving up a pick or that posting bid

don't you want a longer term deal

I don't see the 5 yr deal as a problem

it's not like the jeter arod cc teix deals that has them playing into their late 30's

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

the reference to Varitek is uncalled for. 

Seriously, when two players are in the heat of an argument that quickly escalates into a brawl, the last thing on anyone's mind is "gee, let me pause for a minute and raise my mask before we fight".

Trust me on this one.

OMG should I be scared of you

do you get into a lot of brawls

Any insinuation that Varitek was a wimp or that not taking off his mask is bush league is just silly.

how bout unsportsmanlike conduct

ok maybe I should have quit at being silly ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

17mm a year for 5 years is ridiculous!!!  Yankees will regret it!!  

Salty is probably going to use this leverage to get a high price contract!!  Sox is more likely going to stay away from Salty!!

[/QUOTE]

"Yankees will regret it"

Don't think so.

Yankees have some work left to do but this signing was a step in the right direction.

Letting Martin walk away last winter was a mistake. This guy more than makes up for that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Seriously, when two players are in the heat of an argument that quickly escalates into a brawl, the last thing on anyone's mind is "gee, let me pause for a minute and raise my mask before we fight".

Trust me on this one.

Any insinuation that Varitek was a wimp or that not taking off his mask is bush league is just silly.

[/QUOTE]

It was almost ten years ago.

Still not over it?

Good...

http://f1.pepst.com/c/8D204B/545502/ssc3/home/076/a--------------------------------------real.info4/baby_laugh.jpg_480_480_0_64000_0_1_0.jpg

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldnt mind Buck.  Hes wicked defensively, has decent pop.  Id rather go cheap with Buck.  McCann has a swing for yankee stadium.  i can see Cano leaving.  

[/QUOTE]

He is a favorite of Allard Baird, too.

If the Sox use a short term free agent stopgap, Buck is far more likely than Pierzynski for this reason alone...

[/QUOTE]

don't you think they would want a lefty bat to go with ross? i think pierzynski...

[/QUOTE]

No.

It's more common now to chose the starting catcher basef on the pitcher he will be catching as opposed to the pitcher he will be hitting...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Zac pretending he is me.  every catcher that gets between a hitter and pitcher leaves their mask on.  catching 101.  but you would know that. 

as thanks, Jeter sent over a case of Jim Beam to #33....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Zac pretending he is me.  every catcher that gets between a hitter and pitcher leaves their mask on.  catching 101.  but you would know that. 

as thanks, Jeter sent over a case of Jim Beam to #33....

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees should've paid attention to what Varitek was trying to tell. them.

He obviously knew back in '04 what a DB A-Rod is. LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I wonder if in hindsight the Sox regret not offering Salty a Q.O.  I remember I was pretty adamant about him receiving one along with everyone else.  I didn't see the argument against giving him one and I was convinced otherwise by BMav.  I still agree with his assessment now....but like I said, in hindsight I bet they wish they could offer him one now. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This is a major upgrade at catcher for New York. It shows that they are serious about contending in 2014. It is only the posters on here who care so much about the money and length of contract. The Yankees are not concerned with that. And , they are certainly not at all concerned with the nonsense about raising his mask.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]

Trust me on this one.

[/QUOTE]

and arod charging the mound was such great conduct. Zac sometimes you need to be quiet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Zac is right but it will still be difficult to completely retool. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they wiggle out of the Arod situation though. They probably have enough to make the playoffs again next year but they will be looking forward to dumping some more contracts in 2014.

McCann is a huge upgrade in the catching position for them. If they can land Tanaka and Kuroda they should be well on their way to make the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

Very solid pickup for the pin stripes.  Turns a black hole behind the plate into a force with the bat.  It won't help them stay under $189 mil, but they just picked up a hell of a player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

A great signing for the Yankees.  Now they need starting pitchers besides Sabathia and Nova to pitch to McCann.   LOL