Mea Culpa Time - Aviles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Mea Culpa Time - Aviles

I was totally wrong about his as a shortstop - he is not overmatched, and he looks confident and fluid...and his hitting (although waning a bit) is as good as Marco's it seems (or at least comparable)

A nice surprise and props to Ben/Bobby for sticking him there and staying with him

of course i would still like to see Iggy ply his trade there as well...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Mea Culpa Time - Aviles

In Response to Mea Culpa Time - Aviles:
    [QUOTE]I was totally wrong about his as a shortstop - he is not overmatched, and he looks confident and fluid...and his hitting (although waning a bit) is as good as Marco's it seems (or at least comparable) A nice surprise and props to Ben/Bobby for sticking him there and staying with him of course i would still like to see Iggy ply his trade there as well...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

thats the spirit g.  no shame.  its fun to watch good baseball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

space, i didnt hate on him, always liked his attitude, but i though asking the guy to start at shortstop of all positions was insane....i think i compared him to Cameron in CF!!!
    Surprised

I do enjoy watching him play a lot...him, salty, willM, pedey, sweeney, and gosh darnit McD, love their attitude

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Mea Culpa Time - Aviles:
    [QUOTE]space, i didnt hate on him, always liked his attitude, but i though asking the guy to start at shortstop of all positions was insane....i think i compared him to Cameron in CF!!! I do enjoy watching him play a lot...him, salty, willM, pedey, sweeney, and gosh darnit McD, love their attitude

mikey and pedey have been a nice dp combo.  joy to watch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Mike Aviles has a .306 OBP! He's a butcher for an everyday SS. Last night, he showed why he has no everyday SS instincts or talent. Ball hit sharply, runner going to second. Terrible footwork and anticipation and an enternity to make a decision not to go to second and then he misses the runner at first and doesn't get anyone.

Perfect time to try and trade Aviles to a team that needs RH depth at 3B/SS/2B, with would include the Dbacks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I've liked Aviles for awhile.  He works hard and always could hit while at KC.  The only thing I am surprised about is the power.  I think his career high is 10 or so and he has 8 and we aren't out of May.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Aviles has a .306 OBP! He's a butcher for an everyday SS. Last night, he showed why he has no everyday SS instincts or talent. Ball hit sharply, runner going to second. Terrible footwork and anticipation and an enternity to make a decision not to go to second and then he misses the runner at first and doesn't get anyone. Perfect time to try and trade Aviles to a team that needs RH depth at 3B/SS/2B, with would include the Dbacks.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

cmon softy, i was with you there for a while but admit it, he's been way better than we imagined...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mea Culpa Time - Aviles : cmon softy, i was with you there for a while but admit it, he's been way better than we imagined...

He can't admit it.  He doesn't know how.  Aviles is obviously not a butcher and softy is talking OBP when Aviles is on pace for 30 homers and 100 RBI.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Maybe Theo figured out his SS blind spot?

WAR SS 2012
    1  Furcal
    1  Andrus
    3  Lowrie
    4  Aviles 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Aviles is on pace for 30 homers and 100 RBI.  

LMAO!

Geo, since when do weeks of sample size in RH slugging paradise Fenway have anything to do with what amounts to a career UIF'er.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Aviles is on pace for 30 homers and 100 RBI.    LMAO! Geo, since when do weeks of sample size in RH slugging paradise Fenway have anything to do with what amounts to a career UIF'er.

wait.  You're talking about his obp thusfar in the season.  I am talking about his power numbers and his production so far in the season.

There isn't anything to "LMAO" about when you're SS has 8 homers and 28 RBI on May 22.

You're a silly person.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Geo - MA was one of the few guys who I felt were still playing hard in September; along with Scooter........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Aviles is on pace for 30 homers and 100 RBI.    LMAO! Geo, since when do weeks of sample size in RH slugging paradise Fenway have anything to do with what amounts to a career UIF'er.

I dont disagree about Aviles career averages...but he's playing above that....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Geo - MA was one of the few guys who I felt were still playing hard in September; along with Scooter........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

hence my disappointment about that trade...not hating on mike there just sad that marco was disposable

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

My only problem with Aviles last September was he made some bone-headed baserunning mistakes. Otherwise, I thought he was comparable to Scutaro only with a stronger arm and as it's looking, perhaps more power.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

By the way I am not insinuating Aviles is going to hit 30.  The fact remains that his power and RBI numbers are outstanding for a SS thusfar.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Mea Culpa Time - Aviles:
    [QUOTE]I was totally wrong about his as a shortstop - he is not overmatched, and he looks confident and fluid...and his hitting (although waning a bit) is as good as Marco's it seems (or at least comparable) A nice surprise and props to Ben/Bobby for sticking him there and staying with him of course i would still like to see Iggy ply his trade there as well...

Cool, Geo.  Mea culpas and apologies make people seem smart and strong....people that can never admit mistakes appear absurd and sad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]space, i didnt hate on him, always liked his attitude, but i though asking the guy to start at shortstop of all positions was insane....i think i compared him to Cameron in CF!!! I do enjoy watching him play a lot...him, salty, willM, pedey, sweeney, and gosh darnit McD, love their attitude

I have been bullish on Aviles as SS from the start but mainly for his bat, attitude and assumed "steadiness" - plus I didn't think Iggy was ready - but his range has really surprised me.  He is currently a top SS overall;  he may fade, who knows, but right now he's got 2 very good months behind him.  Factor in his relatively tiny salary and he comes out even better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was wrong about his fielding, but knew he could outhit Scoot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I was one of the people very upset at the time of the marco trade... I didn't like mortensons career numbers and thought it was a total salary dump. After seeing Aviles and Mortenson I now see it was an upgrade to the bullpen for years to come and an upgrade at short. I guess that's why I sit on a couch and Ben is the one wheeling and dealing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

When the case was made for Aviles to replace Scutaro, the odd UZR numbers of Aviles got some attention.

In 2008, he had a 24 UZR/150 in  747 innings followed by up and down numbers in seasons with far fewer innings.  Although his UZR numbers are poor at 2B and 3B for his career.

Ben took a chance, that if healthy which he wasn't in 2009 and 2010, he could play SS like he did in 2008.  Buy low and cross your fingers (Salty).

Mike Aviles 

Aviles hit the ground running after tearing up AAA.

As a rookie in 2008, Aviles hit an astounding .325/.354/.480. Aviles was performing at an MVP level. According to fWAR he was a 4.4 win playerEvan Longoria was a no-doubt American League ROY that season, you could make a serious argument that Aviles was the better player in 2008.

Aviles at the start of 2009,  struggled with an elbow injury, attempted to play through it, was bad, and eventually needed Tommy John surgery. By all accounts, the organization was furious about this. (Which is odd and hypocritical, but what isn't from the Royals' FO?) 

Star-divide

Still, Aviles battled his way back, earning eventual playing time with the bad 2010 Royals. He was bad initially, but just as the vultures were circling, he hit .400 in September, which probably saved his career.

But 2011 was a rough year. Aviles made a number of prominent errors to begin the season and found himself without an obvious play behind favored parties such as Escobar, Getz, Betemit, and soon Mike Moustakas. He was eventually demoted, said he was unhappy about it, and thus earned the opprobrium of the vocal set of Aviles-haters among Royals fans.

Overall, he was just a tremendously mismanaged guy. The Royals waited way too long to promote him, mishandled his injury in 2009 and then semi-buried him in 2010 and 2011 for a lesser player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

People that can never admit mistakes and patronize other posters about the subject are abusrd and hopelessly demented.

Wow, if a shoe ever fit...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was one of the people very upset at the time of the marco trade... I didn't like mortensons career numbers and thought it was a total salary dump. After seeing Aviles and Mortenson I now see it was an upgrade to the bullpen for years to come and an upgrade at short. I guess that's why I sit on a couch and Ben is the one wheeling and dealing.

Don't forget that the money saved allowed us to sign $3+M more in playrs:

Ross

or 

Cook & Padilla

or 

Shoppach & Padilla

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to "Re: Mea Culpa Time - Aviles": [QUOTE]Mike Aviles has a .306 OBP! He's a butcher for an everyday SS. Last night, he showed why he has no everyday SS instincts or talent. Ball hit sharply, runner going to second. Terrible footwork and anticipation and an enternity to make a decision not to go to second and then he misses the runner at first and doesn't get anyone. Perfect time to try and trade Aviles to a team that needs RH depth at 3B/SS/2B, with would include the Dbacks. Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE] That pretty much seals the deal. If softy hates him, he must be pretty good. Remember, softy's favorite all time outfielder is JD Drew who could hit, run throw, field and hit with power, but just not very often. Aviles diid well to get to a grounder on the Pedroia side of of 2B, and should have gone to first right away, granted. Hardly a criminal offense. Oh, and he already has 3 errors, which means he could finish the year with 10 y So far he has been a real bargain and should easily knock in more runs this year than Drew ever did for the Sox in a season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When the case was made for Aviles to replace Scutaro, the odd UZR numbers of Aviles got some attention.

In 2008, he had a 24 UZR/150 in  747 innings followed by up and down numbers in seasons with far fewer innings.  Although his UZR numbers are poor at 2B and 3B for his career.

Ben took a chance, that if healthy which he wasn't in 2009 and 2010, he could play SS like he did in 2008.  Buy low and cross your fingers (Salty).

I think Theo would have traded Scoot as well. Theo did well trading for Mikey and Salty when their stock was low.