Memo to Cody Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Memo to Cody Ross

We’re not trying to win the AL East, we’re trying to win the World Series

Get your competition hurdles in order:

First, try and win the AL East, then try and win each playoff game

Playing for second place in the division is not a good way to realize a team's potential.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Memo to Cody Ross

In Response to Memo to Cody Ross:
    [QUOTE]We’re not trying to win the AL East, we’re trying to win the World Series Get your competition hurdles in order: First, try and win the AL East, then try and win each playoff game Playing for second place in the division is not a good way to realize a team's potential.  
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Cody is right.......Every team trys to win the world series. That is the goal to reach.By doing that how do you think they got there? If you want to be stuck on first thats you......Cody wants to round the bases.... GO SOX !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

What EXACTLY did Cody Ross say?

(Creative journalism: NOT quoting or MIS-quoting another in public...)

Can we avoid the aforementioned?

By the way, if you're going to trash a Red Sox player for what he said at least have the decency to SAY WHAT HE SAID!!!! Don't use some vague editorial reference...Hank, I already question your motives in being on this forum and know you have a propensity toward poor vision so let's try to straighten things out before you go off half -cocked the same way you did about Jacoby Ellsbury and others.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: Memo to Cody Ross:
    [QUOTE]What EXACTLY did Cody Ross say? (Creative journalism: NOT quoting or MIS-quoting another in public...) Can we avoid the aforementioned? By the way, if you're going to trash a Red Sox player for what he said at least have the decency to SAY WHAT HE SAID!!!! Don't use some vague editorial reference...Hank, I already question your motives in being on this forum and know you have a propensity toward poor vision so let's try to straighten things out before you go off half -cocked the same way you did about Jacoby Ellsbury and others.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

WO, valient effort, however as we all know, wasted energy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Cody Ross : WO, valient effort, however as we all know, wasted energy.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

No, not wasted.  In the words of Edmund Burke "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I remember when I wasn't sure if Softy was a troll or not.  That was a long time ago.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Cody Ross : No, not wasted.  In the words of Edmund Burke " All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]
    Burke's quote is on a theoretical level is spot on. However I am certain he was not aware of Epic Internet Trolls and their psychpathic need for responses to their bait, given he was an 18th Century Irish Statesman.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here is the Cody Ross quote from his ESPNBoston.com diary:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/17486/cody-ross-diary-excited-for-journey

"There were a lot of reasons why I signed with the Red Sox. I wanted to be on a team that wants to win and that’s all they care about is winning championships. We’re not trying to win the AL East, we’re trying to win the World Series, and that’s a team you want to be on. You don’t want to be on a team that just wants to have a winning record. It’s not fun and I’ve played on enough of those team that were like that. Once you get the taste of a championship, it’s in your blood. As a man, you want to have that same feeling again. You want to hoist that trophy again. I thought coming to Boston would be a great opportunity for that to happen."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Cody Ross : Chilliwings who was that a pic of in your last avatar ? it looked kind of familiar but I could never place it
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

It was Richard Dawkins, zac.  It had been my avatar for months before the religion thread started but no one on the thread recognised him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Cody Ross : Burke's quote is on a theoretical level is spot on. However I am certain he was not aware of Epic Internet Trolls and their psychpathic need for responses to their bait, given he was an 18th Century Irish Statesman.

Hahaha.  You're on a roll today, sin.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Cody Ross : Burke's quote is on a theoretical level is spot on. However I am certain he was not aware of Epic Internet Trolls and their psychpathic need for responses to their bait, given he was an 18th Century Irish Statesman.

Thomas Jefferson said it a litte differently, "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain
    silent"

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Here is the Cody Ross quote from his ESPNBoston.com diary: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/17486/cody-ross-diary-excited-for-journey "There were a lot of reasons why I signed with the Red Sox. I wanted to be on a team that wants to win and that’s all they care about is winning championships. We’re not trying to win the AL East, we’re trying to win the World Series, and that’s a team you want to be on. You don’t want to be on a team that just wants to have a winning record. It’s not fun and I’ve played on enough of those team that were like that. Once you get the taste of a championship, it’s in your blood. As a man, you want to have that same feeling again. You want to hoist that trophy again. I thought coming to Boston would be a great opportunity for that to happen."
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mojo.

Wow, the nerve of Cody, saying he doesn't want to be on a team that settles for mediocrity but on one that strives for championships. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I'm pretty sure Cody Ross would rather win the division than back into the playoffs through the wild card. With that said, I'm equally certain he'd rather get to the playoffs by way of the WC and go on to win the WS than win the division and get swept in the 1st round.

Got it, Hanky?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I'm so sure Cody does not have his competitive priorities in order.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Mendoza of the 2004 World Series champs after all came to Boston because he was sure of getting a Ring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The Red Sox rarely win the AL East. And this is from someone who was called genocidal by a NYT imbedded shill, supra. I'm sure Ross meant and knows that the Yankees just about own the AL East, and he knows that playoff path is likely, Tampa Bay style, backing in the playoffs. 

Bottom line, Ross' talk is canned and about as impressive as how teams value him during his career. Winning the AL East should be the first "try and win". Talk about trying to win a WS is truly a joke for a team with a massive payroll. Some new guy doesn't need to say the obvious, unless "try" hasn't been much "try" in the last few massive payroll cycles. 

How about "we are confident that our commitment to excellence will lead us to the world championship we are determined to win". 

Ross is a manifestation of Crawford's contract, and any confidence in taking Ross out of a dumpster is feigned.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Great point. If you don't win the East there is no way to reach the ultimate goal of winning it all....oh wait

Great point, you need to first "try and win the AL East" before you "try and get to the WS".   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

That's wrong.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Memo to Cody Ross": [QUOTE]Great point. If you don't win the East there is no way to reach the ultimate goal of winning it all....oh wait Great point, you need to first "try and win the AL East" before you "try and get to the WS".    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE] No you don't your goal is too win the WS. The Yankees don't celebrate winning the division and have said they really don't care. Who won the NL West three years ago? Who won the WS three years ago? Exactly!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox rarely win the AL East. And this is from someone who was called genocidal by a NYT imbedded shill, supra. I'm sure Ross meant and knows that the Yankees just about own the AL East, and he knows that playoff path is likely, Tampa Bay style, backing in the playoffs.  Bottom line, Ross' talk is canned and about as impressive as how teams value him during his career. Winning the AL East should be the first "try and win". Talk about trying to win a WS is truly a joke for a team with a massive payroll. Some new guy doesn't need to say the obvious, unless "try" hasn't been much "try" in the last few massive payroll cycles.  How about "we are confident that our commitment to excellence will lead us to the world championship we are determined to win".  Ross is a manifestation of Crawford's contract, and any confidence in taking Ross out of a dumpster is feigned.  
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

The full quote, a credited paraphrase of Dawkins' description of the god of the old testament, was "Mr. Hanky is arguably the most unpleasant character on the board : jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser, a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

When I first read it it struck me how well it described Mr. Hanky although I have no direct evidence that Mr. Hanky is a bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, or pestilential.  There is ample evidence to support the rest, however.