Mets sign Shaun Marcum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Mets sign Shaun Marcum

1 year 4mil.........NL guy..........think we should have considered him? Personally don't think he is any better than what we have.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Mets sign Shaun Marcum

Meh, i would say Dempster is better than him (even at the difference in price). I didn't see him as an option.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Marcum could be the steal of the winter.

We could have gotten him for 6-7 years at the cost of Dempster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Nice sign by the Mets. He will help them as 4-5 guy. Alderson doing nice job of rebuilding that franchise after the mess that was Omar Minaya [some similarities to what Ben took over] bunch of overpaid paid underperforming contracts. But w/ Jon Niese, Matt Harvey, Zach Wheeler 3 young hard throwing starters, Ike @ 1b, Wright 3b, Tejada SS, plus D'Arnaud /Noahsgard the young catcher/pitcher they got for Dickey. Alderson has that team heading in right direction and could be a contender in 2015 or sooner. Still need OF help and bullpen to make next jump. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the Sox need some reliability and accountability in the players. I dont think health wise Marcum is reliable, hence the low dollars figure. Dempster pretty much can be penciled in for 180-200 innings, will be the consumate professional, and be a verbal leader on a staff with young players coming up in the next 24 months. Dont see the make up in Lester or Buch to be a leader of the staff. They might both have the stuff to be #1 pitchers, but can they lead a young staff? I think Dempster can. Marcum cant lead if he is disabled.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Don't think so.  If Marcum stays healthy and pitches decently this year his price will get back up in the 10 million range.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think the Sox need some reliability and accountability in the players. I dont think health wise Marcum is reliable, hence the low dollars figure. Dempster pretty much can be penciled in for 180-200 innings, will be the consumate professional, and be a verbal leader on a staff with young players coming up in the next 24 months. Dont see the make up in Lester or Buch to be a leader of the staff. They might both have the stuff to be #1 pitchers, but can they lead a young staff? I think Dempster can. Marcum cant lead if he is disabled.

I'm not sure if Marcum could lead even if he wasn't on the D.L.  There are definitely concerns about his injuries, but it's no big secret that he hasn't exactly endeared himself anywhere he's been.  Milwaukee had no interest in having him around again.  He may have a solid year with the Mets, but he wasn't a fit in Boston.  I'd take Dempster over him in a heartbeat, for a lot of the reasons you mention, unless of course it was my Fantasy draft and only "stats" mattered.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I'm not sure if Marcum could lead even if he wasn't on the D.L.  There are definitely concerns about his injuries, but it's no big secret that he hasn't exactly endeared himself anywhere he's been.  Milwaukee had no interest in having him around again.  He may have a solid year with the Mets, but he wasn't a fit in Boston.  I'd take Dempster over him in a heartbeat, for a lot of the reasons you mention, unless of course it was my Fantasy draft and only "stats" mattered.

could it be argued that last year between May 25 and July 25, Dempster was the best pitcher in baseball? Stats wise?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Marcum has been dealing with injuries but he has been a very consistent pitcher.

He also has experience with the AL East while he was with Toronto.  

Very good signing for the Mets.  I wish Boston signed him.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

it also takes two to make a deal. is it possible that Marcum saw himself as the 6th man in a 5 man rotation with the Sox, where as a starting spot is his to lose with the Mets.

clearly he would be behind Lester, Buch and Dempster. Sox seem sommitted to LAckey to see what he can do healthy (and due to his contract of course) and committed to Doubrandt.

I also think RDLR is a lot closer than most give him credit for.

Perhaps Marcum simply did not see an oportunity with the RS

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

He's not really an "NL guy"...as Ice-Cream mentioned, he has AL East experience.

I'd rather have him than Dempster, but that horse has been beaten to death, I think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

it also takes two to make a deal. is it possible that Marcum saw himself as the 6th man in a 5 man rotation with the Sox, where as a starting spot is his to lose with the Mets.

clearly he would be behind Lester, Buch and Dempster. Sox seem sommitted to LAckey to see what he can do healthy (and due to his contract of course) and committed to Doubrandt.

I also think RDLR is a lot closer than most give him credit for.

Perhaps Marcum simply did not see an oportunity with the RS

Great points, Rkarp...Marcum not being a fit seems pretty mutual.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

He's not really an "NL guy"...as Ice-Cream mentioned, he has AL East experience.

I'd rather have him than Dempster, but that horse has been beaten to death, I think.

but recently playing in the NL Pancake!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Don't think so.  If Marcum stays healthy and pitches decently this year his price will get back up in the 10 million range.  

Perhaps, but do you think he'd have taken a $26.5M/4 year deal?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

could it be argued that last year between May 25 and July 25, Dempster was the best pitcher in baseball? Stats wise?

Perhaps, but one could also argue that between April 26th and may 5th, Marcum was the best pitcher in baseball.  Or, from 8/10/11 to 9/8/11.

(Just kiddin')

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In a heartbeat, I would say.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In a heartbeat, I would say.

How about $26.5M/5?

And, which contract would most likelye help us win beyond 2015, Dempster's 2 year deal or Marcum's 4 or 5 year deal?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

How about $26.5M/5?

And, which contract would most likelye help us win beyond 2015, Dempster's 2 year deal or Marcum's 4 or 5 year deal?

Hmmm, I smell a trap here. :-)

I think the fact that Marcum signed this late for this little shows that GM's throughout baseball are concerned about his health and his ever-slowing fastball, which averaged around 87 MPH last year.

Marcum might be a great bargain.  Or he might be close to done.  So I honestly can't answer the question.  There's so much risk and uncertainty with pitchers.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

At that price, Marcum was a steal.  Think the Sox missed the boat on this one.

They did however sign two AAA knuckle ball pitchers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about $26.5M/5?

Hmmm, I smell a trap here. :-)

I think the fact that Marcum signed this late for this little shows that GM's throughout baseball are concerned about his health and his ever-slowing fastball, which averaged around 87 MPH last year.

Marcum might be a great bargain.  Or he might be close to done.  So I honestly can't answer the question.  There's so much risk and uncertainty with pitchers.

Fair enough, but I think you know my answer.