Michael Young to play third for Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox?

In Response to Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox? : Michael Young turns 35 tomorrow and will turn 37 when his current contract expires following the 2013 season. What kind of extension should the Red Sox offer?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

First off they'd have to get him to waive his no trade or include the sox in the teams he'd accept a trade too. Again I am not a proponant of aquiring him and I doubt the Sox even have interest, given his age and existing contract.

All I was trying to state was that if they garanteed that he'd play 3B or 1B and as part of the aquisition throw a little more cash at him. He'd then entertain waiving his no trade and accepting a deal to send him to the Sox or any other team. As is I don't really see too many teams wanting to aquire him given his age and that he has 2 more years and 32M left on his existing deal.

Michael Young inf
    5 years/$80M (2009-13)
    • 5 years/$80M (2009-13)
      • signed extension with Texas 3/07, with Rangers exercising $5M 2008 club option as part of the deal
      • 09-13:$16M annually (total of $15M deferred)
      • no-trade protection 2007-09, limited no-trade protection from 2010 to May, 2011 (submits list of 8 clubs to which he'd accept trade), before receiving 10-and-5 rights in May, 2011 (current list of 8 includes Colorado, Houston, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Minnesota, NY Yankees, St. Louis, San Diego)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Michael Young to play third for Sox?:
    [QUOTE]I made this suggestion last year after the Rangers signed Beltre--it might be easier to obtain him this year as the Rangers will have more options at first and DH. He has two years left on his contract--he would be a great role model for Middlebrooks and adding another .300 hitter wouldn't be too bad.  How do we get him--I'd start with Beckett especially if they lose Wilson. Beckett would be Nolan Ryan's type of player. The contracts would be pretty close we would save two years on Beckett's. If Middlebrooks moves faster than expected Young played all infield positions and DH'd. He's a heady, savy player, he knows what it takes to win and would be a good clubhouse guy. In addition he's in shape. 
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]Let me see if I have this right. The RS are a team that had the best run production in the sport and failed in the stretch because of a lack of pitching and they are going to trade a starting pitcher who has the 4th best WHIP and 5th best ERA in the league for a 3B/DH?

I think the Rangers might actually jump on that trade though there would be 10-5 issues with Young accepting a trade to Boston, since we were not listed on his contract as a team he would accept a trade to before he became 10-5 in May.

Josh Beckett is not a major roster issue IMO. Nothing there that can't be cleaned up and his 2011 in aggregate was excellent. By many metrics he had a better year than King Felix.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Maybe we get aquire Nelson Cruz, Josh Hamilton, and Young for Lackey and Beckett. Then we can sign CJ Wilson, yeah thats the ticket.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

"I made this suggestion last year after the Rangers signed Beltre--it might be easier to obtain him this year as the Rangers will have more options at first and DH. He has two years left on his contract--he would be a great role model for Middlebrooks and adding another .300 hitter wouldn't be too bad. How do we get him--I'd start with Beckett especially if they lose Wilson. Beckett would be Nolan Ryan's type of player. The contracts would be pretty close we would save two years on Beckett's. If Middlebrooks moves faster than expected Young played all infield positions and DH'd. He's a heady, savy player, he knows what it takes to win and would be a good clubhouse guy. In addition he's in shape."
    Posted by MadMc44

I wonder how many other entitled Red Sox Nation members dream up these one-sided trades. Josh Beckett IS a Red Sox player for life. Not a single team in America would sign him based on his recent history. He pitched great for half of the season. To know which Josh Beckett would show up in Spring Training 2012 is impossible.

Get Michael Young for Josh Beckett? With Nolan Ryan calling the shots in Texas? Ahhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Michael Young to play third for Sox?:
    [QUOTE]I made this suggestion last year after the Rangers signed Beltre--it might be easier to obtain him this year as the Rangers will have more options at first and DH. He has two years left on his contract--he would be a great role model for Middlebrooks and adding another .300 hitter wouldn't be too bad.  How do we get him--I'd start with Beckett especially if they lose Wilson. Beckett would be Nolan Ryan's type of player. The contracts would be pretty close we would save two years on Beckett's. If Middlebrooks moves faster than expected Young played all infield positions and DH'd. He's a heady, savy player, he knows what it takes to win and would be a good clubhouse guy. In addition he's in shape. 
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Josh Beckett for Michael Young? With Nolan Ryan calling the shots? Where do you come up with this stuff? The baseball world does NOT revolve around Red Sox Nation notions...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Josh Hamilton is a spectacular outfielder. Why would they wastre his amazing talent at first base?
    I love Young, but he's going to be 35 years old next season.
    The Sox need to get younger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Michael Young to play third for Sox? : Josh Beckett for Michael Young? With Nolan Ryan calling the shots? Where do you come up with this stuff? The baseball world does NOT revolve around Red Sox Nation notions...
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]Honestly I think the Rangers jump all over a trade for a pitcher that just had a 1.026 WHIP and 2.89 ERA for a 35 year old DH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox? : I don't believe that Red Sox fans are trashing Youkilis, just that he hasn't been healthy the last two seasons.  Trading him has been discussed many times on this forum.  Many also believe that if we had resigned Beltre and traded Youkilis this past season the Red Sox would have been a better team. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Very true Susan. Just because guys are mentioned as potential trades, that does not equate to trashing them. Youk has not been healthy for the last 2 seasons. I am not questioning his heart and wanting to play. But if he can't go, then he may have to be considered in a trade. Plus, he may have been a trouble in the clubhouse.

I think along with Beltre they should have also kept V-mart. Both would have cost less than Craw and Gonzo. Both played exceptional ball for the Sox. And both would have helped keep the chemistry in the clubhouse too. And re-signing them would have left money for better trade deadline acquisitions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Why would the beloved Michael Young -- a 3.8 WAR* player in 2011, a 10-year Texas veteran and by all accounts a great teammate -- waive his 10-and-5 rights to accept a trade from the two-time defending American Leauge champions to a third-place team in turmoil? Some Red Sox fans retain a sense of entitlement despite the team's disappointments in recent years. * Wins Above Replacement as reported by FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

To play 3rd!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Michael Young inf
    5 years/$80M (2009-13)
    • 5 years/$80M (2009-13)
      • signed extension with Texas 3/07, with Rangers exercising $5M 2008 club option as part of the deal

• Michael Young won't come cheap.     The Rangers will want real talent not just hopefuls.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

On Deck---Beckett isn't exactly a poor talent he just needs a new city to play in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hill55,
    I am not suggesting that they should or even would. If they indeed had interest they'd first have to have him include them on the list of teams he'd waive his no trade clasue for and almost always when players are asked to do so. the aquiring team almost always makes contractual concessions to sway the player...

Michael Young
    inf
    5 years/$80M (2009-13)
    • 5 years/$80M (2009-13)
      • no-trade protection 2007-09, limited no-trade protection from 2010 to May, 2011 (submits list of 8 clubs to which he'd accept trade), before receiving 10-and-5 rights in May, 2011 (current list of 8 includes Colorado, Houston, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Minnesota, NY Yankees, St. Louis, San Diego)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox? : Two years in a row we've lost him in Aug/Sep to "injury". He was 7 times on the DL, and we just can't afford to pay a guy who is only going to play 60% of the games. Young would be a great addition. He wants to play 3B and will not get that opportunity with Texas. He would jump at the chance to be the everyday 3B for the Sox .
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Youkilis' best days are behind him. In fact we've watched him get very old, very quickly over the past two seasons. And if he can no longer produce, never mind stay on the field, then it's time to move him and see what we can get for him. It won't be much but we can't run the risk of keeping him around. By all accounts he was a cancer in the clubhouse AGAIN this season, so his risk/rewards ratios are now very slanted. He's just another piece of the deadwood that needs to be tossed in the sanitization of the clubhouse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I haven't heard he was a cancer in the clubhouse--he's been a dirt dog and an excellent hitter most of his career. I think we should keep him and have him part of a DH combo unless someone like the Cards or Reds, etc. blow us away with an offer. Youk could be a comeback player this year ; I, for one, would be thrilled.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox? : Honestly I think the Rangers jump all over a trade for a pitcher that just had a 1.026 WHIP and 2.89 ERA for a 35 year old DH.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    I agree that the Rangers might be interested, but I doubt Michael Young would waive his 10-and-5 rights for a trade to Boston.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

I think we should bring in Young to play third then have Youk be our DH.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]DO NOT MESS WITH YOUK - HE GAVE US EVERYTHING HE HAS, WAS ONE OF THE TOP 10 HITTERS AND TOP 3 FIRST BASEMEN FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND LET US NOT FORGET HE WAS PART OF 2 WORLD SERIES TEAMS
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

You said it ....WAS!!!.....YOUK THE PU..KE MUST GO

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Trade Beckett and Lester?!?  Some of you sound very drunk. 

While we are at it, let's trade Tom Brady. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No! Youk for one more contract year to Middlebrooks. Stop handing out massive FA contracts to players who have no more than a year or two of less than true star level performance left.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

Both Beckett and Youk will be on the block no doubt about that. Both have been deemed cancers within the clubhouse and their contracts kill any upside they might have.  Going to have to blow the thing up and re-set the pieces.  The team at $160 million payroll has not made the playoffs in 2 years, won a playoff game since 2008 Game 6 of the ALCS.  Its funny that Red Sox fan continues to hold value in pieces and parts that just don't get the job done.  Everybody wants to blame the September Collapse on Beer and Fried chicken but in reality the team was not that good and has not been for 4 or 5 years. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Is Ben Sheets still around?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I love the idea of having Young, but who'll take Becketts place in the rotation if you trade him? Better go get Wilson or somebody. We're pitching thin enough now. And of course you know Beckett will turn into Masterson 2 every time he pitches against us, just making sure you realized that.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

You re right that Boston isnt going to trade Beckett where we all will see the rotation will be thinning out.  That mean Boston will need two replacements.

Trade a positional player for positional players to fill in these holes, and sign one more starting pitcher to fill up the rotation.  If Lackey goes, then get another pitcher in return such as Zambaro.  

Can just trade Lackey/Beckett at the same time, and get non-positional players in return!!!!  It is going to be impossible to get two good starting pitchers via free agents.  All will be asking a big fat contract this year!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't heard he was a cancer in the clubhouse--he's been a dirt dog and an excellent hitter most of his career. I think we should keep him and have him part of a DH combo unless someone like the Cards or Reds, etc. blow us away with an offer. Youk could be a comeback player this year ; I, for one, would be thrilled.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Youkilis just had surgury for a sports hernia, he also had issues with his hip which is what was at the root of his second half struggles. So even if the Sox would look to trade him...He has no trade value until he can pass a physical. If they did they'd have to sell him for pennies on the dollar...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

No need to worry about Michael Young coming to Boston next year. He hates our guts. A limited trade clause indicates eight teams he'd go to in a trade. NYY...yes,BRS...no.