Middlebrooks and Doubront for Trumbo ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Middlebrooks and Doubront for Trumbo ...

... as reportedly speculated in this morning's column from the Globe's Nick Cafardo:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/cafardo-on-trumbo-ethier-kemp-arroyo-red-sox.html

Because of his low on-base percentage, Mark Trumbo would be a poor replacement for Mike Napoli.

Will Middlebrooks' ceiling might be Trumbo, so the proposed trade could be enticing to the Angels, who need pitching and who could use Felix Doubront to replace lefthander Jason Vargas in the rotation.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Middlebrooks and Doubront for Trumbo ...

I wouldn't trade Doubront even up for Trumbo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

Middlebrooks alone is too much for Trumbo. He is Trumbo, but with a higher upside.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Middlebrook for Trumbo is a fairly deal, but to include Doubront, no way!!  Angels can have Dempster!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I hope we don't trade doubront.  NO!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Not HARDLY !!!!!  DAD & BILL-806 won't let Ben do this one !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm no great fan of Will Middlebrooks, but I suspect the Red Sox would hang up first.

Mark Trumbo is far too similar to Middlebrooks, so the Red Sox could not justify four years of Felix Doubront and five years of Middlebrooks for three arbitration years of Trumbo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I don't want either Middlebrooks or Trumbo.  I do want Doubront.

At least Middlebrooks is already here.  The good news is, this is a Cafardo specualtion, and he is horribly bad at trying to put together reasonable and realisitic trades....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

No. Not for Trumbo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

... as reportedly speculated in this morning's column from the Globe's Nick Cafardo:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/cafardo-on-trumbo-ethier-kemp-arroyo-red-sox.html

Because of his low on-base percentage, Mark Trumbo would be a poor replacement for Mike Napoli.

Will Middlebrooks' ceiling might be Trumbo, so the proposed trade could be enticing to the Angels, who need pitching and who could use Felix Doubront to replace lefthander Jason Vargas in the rotation.

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Doubront was our most consistent pitcher for months. Like someone said below, if they want pitching, they can have Dempster.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If Napoli falls through, it is much more likely the Sox move Lackey than a Doubront / Middlebrooks package.

Maybe Lackey (2 yrs / ~$16mill) for Billy Butler (1 yr / $9mill or 2 yrs / $20.5mill)?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just sign Napoli and keep Middy and Doubie.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Trade Middy, and Demster for Trumbo...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trade Middy, and Demster for Trumbo...

[/QUOTE]

Lose the chickenandboose screenname. That's my vote.

Oh, and don't trade Doubront. That would be something they would regret. And probably right away.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to notin's comment:

If Napoli falls through, it is much more likely the Sox move Lackey than a Doubront / Middlebrooks package.

Maybe Lackey (2 yrs / ~$16mill) for Billy Butler (1 yr / $9mill or 2 yrs / $20.5mill)?

If the Royals throw in Yordano Ventura then I do the deal. Otherwise, I don't think so. Lackey was one of the 4 key reasons we won in the playoffs. Not going to give that up for Billy Butler.

On the other hand, would be more open to Peavy or Dempster. Would throw in money for both. Maybe even a moderate prospect[20's] for Dempster plus 5 million.

Peavy plus a couple of million for Butler straight up seems interesting. I consider Peavy slightly better then Butler, but Peavy also makes 4.5 million more per year plus one less year of control.

Considering the Shields and Santana deals, K.C. could be interested  in all 3. They all have a penchant for gopher balls too, so K.C. could be a good ball park for them.

Guess you could say I value starting pitching and am not that high on Butler.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I remarked on a different thread not too long ago that Middlebrooks and Trumbo look like pretty similar players right now...

Trumbo in 2013 (620 ab): .234/.294/.453, 30 2b, 34 hr, 100 rbi, 184 k

Middlebrooks in 2013 (348 ab): .227/.271/.425, 18 2b, 17 hr, 49 rbi, 98 k

If Middlebrooks had played as much as Trumbo did, most of their totals would look strikingly similar.

Given that Middy is younger and may (or may not) improve on his 2013 performance, I think I'll take my chances with him over Trumbo. Throwing a promising young starter in Doubront into the equation would be lunacy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Here's a thought.....try to keep the team that won the World Series this year as 'together' as you can.  The only issue I see is CF.  Ells will outprice himseld here....and I am nowhere near convinced JBJ is ready to fill that role.  I'd re-sign Napoli, Drew and Salty if possible.  Trade Middy for some RP depth or CF help (in a bigger package) and call it a day.  DO NOT TRADE STARTING PITCHING!!  (other than Dempster)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Frankly, I want the Red Sox to sign Napoli and Ellsbury and Drew and guarantee them about a quarter of a billion dollars, just to laugh about it.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding.  You should be frank more often.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

On the other hand, would be more open to Peavy or Dempster. Would throw in money for both. Maybe even a moderate prospect[20's] for Dempster plus 5 million.

The Peavy/Butler idea is interesting.  KC is likely look for SPs.  You might be able to convince them the Peavy is a QO-type of player that will duplicate what they did with Santana last year.  Butler should be a good bit better than he was last year.

I don't think I'd do it if I were KC, but I certainly don't think I'd be far away from doing it.  $2M or a B-propsect might swing it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't sign Napoli. 

Either sign K. Morales to a 3 year or 4 year base 13 deal, or sign Konerko to a single digits one year deal that will postpone any claimed retirement plans. Use Konerko against all Lefty starters and the RH starters he has fair recent history against. Use Nava for the rest of the starts.  Konerko owned LHP in 2013. 

Konerko has a career .905 OPS in Fenway

Konerko has a career .969 in the new Yankee Stadium

Konerko has a career .909 OPS in "The Trop"

Konerko has a career .826 OPS in Camden Yards

Rogers Center is the only AL East Park he doesn't excel in slugging

Who in their right minds would be talking about trading Middlebrooks for Trumbo or signing Napoli for 30 to 40 million guaranteed. 

How "bout take the draft pick and either sign Morales or use about the only way to get good value out of veteran FA and sign a good fit veteran to a low cost one year contract.

Frankly, I want the Red Sox to sign Napoli and Ellsbury and Drew and guarantee them about a quarter of a billion dollars, just to laugh about it. 

[/QUOTE]

IGNORE

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Royals throw in Yordano Ventura then I do the deal. Otherwise, I don't think so. Lackey was one of the 4 key reasons we won in the playoffs. Not going to give that up for Billy Butler.

Peavy plus a couple of million for Butler straight up seems interesting. I consider Peavy slightly better then Butler, but Peavy also makes 4.5 million more per year plus one less year of control.

Considering the Shields and Santana deals, K.C. could be interested  in all 3. They all have a penchant for gopher balls too, so K.C. could be a good ball park for them.

Guess you could say I value starting pitching and am not that high on Butler.

[/QUOTE]

Lackey was key, but will he be again or is this a "sell high" chance for a.pitcher entering his mid to late 30s?

I think Peavy is more talented, but there are legitimate durability issues that could hutt his trade appeal.

Butler could be a monster at Fenway.  He hit at least 9 fly outs that could have been out of Fenway or off the Monster.   After a rough year, he is a good "buy low" candidate.   And as the Sox have 6 SP under contract for next year and are still doing due diligence on guys like Tim Hudson, it looks like moving SP is the plan ovet free agency...

25. This post has been removed.