Middlebrooks and Doubront for Trumbo ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Middlebrooks and Doubront for Trumbo ...

JoeB = one of board's best posters.

Softlaw & iterations = sick clown.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

This board is in trouble if "one of the Board's best posters" is submitting Peavy for Butler as a less than delusional trade idea. 

[/QUOTE]

This board is in trouble because it's not equipped to permanently remove a clown like you.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Funny thing is, softy called Butler a bum last winter.

Now a bum for a bum is "delusional".

Clown Strong!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Frankly, I want the Red Sox to sign Napoli and Ellsbury and Drew and guarantee them about a quarter of a billion dollars, just to laugh about it.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding.  You should be frank more often.

[/QUOTE]

Wow. That is an unbelievable quote. I think that just about sums up his presence and contribution here in one sentence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

... as reportedly speculated in this morning's column from the Globe's Nick Cafardo:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/cafardo-on-trumbo-ethier-kemp-arroyo-red-sox.html

Because of his low on-base percentage, Mark Trumbo would be a poor replacement for Mike Napoli.

Will Middlebrooks' ceiling might be Trumbo, so the proposed trade could be enticing to the Angels, who need pitching and who could use Felix Doubront to replace lefthander Jason Vargas in the rotation.

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

I WOULD TRADE FOR TRUMBO, BUT NOT INCLUDE DOUBROUNT!  DOUBS IS GOING TO BE A MEMBER OF THE 2014 ROTATION!  INCLUDE DEMPSTER OR PEAVY!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

This time next year you'll be looking for starters. Free Agent is smart move for 1st base. Renaudo and Barnes should be up for a cup of Coffee this year, go into next off season with 3 young arms, cant see Ben moving Doubront.

27 million coming off the books, too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I would do WMB for trumbo straight up, but little more.  Certainly not Doubront.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm no great fan of Will Middlebrooks, but I suspect the Red Sox would hang up first.

Mark Trumbo is far too similar to Middlebrooks, so the Red Sox could not justify four years of Felix Doubront and five years of Middlebrooks for three arbitration years of Trumbo.

[/QUOTE]

When you put all your eggs in the Montero will be a better than Middlebrooks basket you kind of put your self in interesting positions to defend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE] -100 Tongue Out ..j/k..JB is the goods... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

... as reportedly speculated in this morning's column from the Globe's Nick Cafardo:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/cafardo-on-trumbo-ethier-kemp-arroyo-red-sox.html

Because of his low on-base percentage, Mark Trumbo would be a poor replacement for Mike Napoli.

Will Middlebrooks' ceiling might be Trumbo, so the proposed trade could be enticing to the Angels, who need pitching and who could use Felix Doubront to replace lefthander Jason Vargas in the rotation.

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

No... And wouldn't trade Doubront for half the Angels team

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I'm no great fan of Will Middlebrooks, but I suspect the Red Sox would hang up first.

Mark Trumbo is far too similar to Middlebrooks, so the Red Sox could not justify four years of Felix Doubront and five years of Middlebrooks for three arbitration years of Trumbo.

When you put all your eggs in the Montero will be a better than Middlebrooks basket you kind of put your self in interesting positions to defend.

Smile

I'm no great fan of Will Middlebrooks or Jesus Montero, but I found interesting the 2014 Steamer* projections for Middlebrooks and Montero:

WM 202 PA, .260/.307/.460/.767, 1.1 Off**, 0.4 Def***, 0.9 WAR

JM 162 PA, .261/.321/.443/.764, 1.1 Off**, -4.2 Def***, 0.3 WAR

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5514&position=C/DH

Steamer projects similar production at the plate, but gives Middlebrooks a generous score for defense while assigning a deservedly low defense score to Montero (who lacks a defensive position).

A smaller percentage of Mariner fans are counting on Montero than Red Sox fans are counting on Middlebrooks ... perhaps with good reason.Wink

*  http://steamerprojections.com/blog/about/

** Offense - Batting and Base Running combined (above average)

*** Defense - Fielding and Positional Adjustment combined (above average)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trade Middy, and Demster for Trumbo...

[/QUOTE]

....or not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

I'd trade for Trumbo...the guy is cheep for a few more years....can pound the ball and stays healthy.  I would give them WMB and Peavy or Dempster in a heartbeat.....but not Doubie.  Young above average Lefty starters under team control for a long time do not grow on trees.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Obviously Cafardo misspelled Trout as Trumbo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Trumbo isn't Trout.........no way you give that up for him

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Trumbo also has the skill set that gets overvalued in the arbitration process, and his skill set does not meet the Sox philosophy, which seems to be working out pretty fine.  Trumbo will be cheap, but he won't be as cheap as WMB as he is sure to get raises in arbitration....I think WMB will be a better defender when it's all said and done as well. 

Sorry but I'll pass on Trumbo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trumbo also has the skill set that gets overvalued in the arbitration process, and his skill set does not meet the Sox philosophy, which seems to be working out pretty fine.  Trumbo will be cheap, but he won't be as cheap as WMB as he is sure to get raises in arbitration....I think WMB will be a better defender when it's all said and done as well. 

Sorry but I'll pass on Trumbo.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. His low OBP is a killer.

I'd rather just move Middy to 1B. (Bogey to 3B & find a great glove at SS)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Clown Strong!

[/QUOTE]

Moon, 

Dempster may not be a great pitcher but he does not deserve to be called a bum any more than you or any other reasonable poster on BDC. Pardon me but shame on you !!

Hetch

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Clown Strong!

[/QUOTE]

Moon, 

Dempster may not be a great pitcher but he does not deserve to be called a bum any more than you or any other reasonable poster on BDC. Pardon me but shame on you !!

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

I did not call Dempster a bum, softy did. He also called Butler a bum last winter. I was double quoting softy.

(Note:  I do not think Dempster is a bum. I think he has value, but to me that value would be greater to another team as a 5th starter than to us as a 6th starter, so I do think we should try to trade him.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In his column that appeared this Sunday under the headline of "The curious and uninformed coveting of Mark Trumbo needs to stop," the Globe's Chad Finn wrote: "I mean, I heard one radio host say this week that the Red Sox should offer the Angels Middlebrooks and lefthander Felix Doubront for Trumbo. Said it seriously, too ..."

Finn failed to mention that his colleague, the Globe's Nick Cafardo, had suggested the possibility of that precise trade in Cafardo's column the previous Sunday.

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2013/11/sunday_mail_mark_trumbo.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In his column that appeared this Sunday under the headline of "The curious and uninformed coveting of Mark Trumbo needs to stop," the Globe's Chad Finn wrote: "I mean, I heard one radio host say this week that the Red Sox should offer the Angels Middlebrooks and lefthander Felix Doubront for Trumbo. Said it seriously, too ..."

Finn failed to mention that his colleague, the Globe's Nick Cafardo, had suggested the possibility of that precise trade in Cafardo's column the previous Sunday.

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2013/11/sunday_mail_mark_trumbo.html

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks is effectively Trumbo (or at least very similiar).  However he plays a more premium defensive position and has more years of team control.  The ideal that we should give him up PLUS a starting pitcher makes me cringe.  Fortunately I'am fairly confident that the Sox would never even consider that in a thousand years. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks is effectively Trumbo (or at least very similiar).  However he plays a more premium defensive position and has more years of team control.  The ideal that we should give him up PLUS a starting pitcher makes me cringe.  Fortunately I'am fairly confident that the Sox would never even consider that in a thousand years. 

[/QUOTE]

Your knowledge on the minor league system is second to none around here Hugh.....but I really fail to see what evedence that WMB is the same as Trumbo.  If anything we HOPE that WMB can turn out like Trumbo but the jury is still out there....by quite a bit.  Why not trade him for the 'real thing' and get rid of a spare part in Dempster?