Middlebrooks, Bradley, and Ranaudo enough for Stanton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Middlebrooks, Bradley, and Ranaudo enough for Stanton?

Farrell wants Drew to resign, if him and Napoli resign that would make Middlebrooks excess. Him and Bradley could be of interest to the Marlins.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Middlebrooks, Bradley, and Ranaudo enough for Stanton?

Probably not.

I think Bogaerts is a must, and I wouldn't move him for Stanton.  If Drew re-signs, middlebrooks might be traded but probably not in a Stanton deal.  However, C and 1B (until/if Napoli signs) are wide open.

Hopefully they do not move Middlebrooks to 1B. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They may take Middy, Bradley, Ranaudo, Betts and de la Rosa.

I'm not sure I'd give that much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Miami Marlins would certainly get older because of the three only Jackie Bradley Jr. is younger than Giancarlo Station (and only younger by five months).

So the offer would be 25-year-old Will Middlebrooks (BA's 51st-ranked prospect in 2012), 24-year-old Anthony Ranaudo (BA's 67th-ranked prospect in 2011) and 23-year-old Jackie Bradley Jr (BA's 31st-ranked prospect in 2013) for Giancarlo Stanton (who turned 24 on Friday) and who was BA's 16th-ranked prospect in 2009 and third-ranked prospect in 2010.

Given prospect attrition, prospects (and former prospects) of the stature of Middlebrooks, Ranaudo and Bradley are mere lottery tickets. In the unlikely event the Marlins trade Stanton this offseason, elite prospects or graduated former prospects would need to be coming back in trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I am probably lower on the idea of adding Stanton then most. I believe Stanton has lost at least a 3rd of his value compared to last year at this time. I generally over rate Red Sox prospects more then most aswell. However, thats not enough for Stanton.

Add one more upper level guy like Cecchini or Webster and you might have enough. I don't think Bogaerts would have to be in the deal. Also don't see the logic of Bradley in the deal for either side. I would expect Middlebrooks, Betts and a catcher being in the deal, along with 2-3 pitchers. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

stay away from Stanton. Not worth the price in players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Miami Marlins would certainly get older because of the three only Jackie Bradley Jr. is younger than Giancarlo Station (and only younger by five months).

So the offer would be 25-year-old Will Middlebrooks (BA's 51st-ranked prospect in 2012), 24-year-old Anthony Ranaudo (BA's 67th-ranked prospect in 2011) and 23-year-old Jackie Bradley Jr (BA's 31st-ranked prospect in 2013) for Giancarlo Stanton (who turned 24 on Friday) and who was BA's 16th-ranked prospect in 2009 and third-ranked prospect in 2010.

Given prospect attrition, prospects (and former prospects) of the stature of Middlebrooks, Ranaudo and Bradley are mere lottery tickets. In the unlikely event the Marlins trade Stanton this offseason, elite prospects or graduated former prospects would need to be coming back in trade.

[/QUOTE]

You act like age is more important than service time and the BA ranks are a tangible statistic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Southy I don't disagree with you totally. He would be great protection for Ortiz if they chose not to bring Nap back.

My feeling is they have a lot of talented kids that will be knocking on the door in the next year. If they trade for Stanton you can be sure they will clean out their top prospects but give some secondary talent an opportunity. Miami will only trade Stanton if they get top of the line pitchers.

I would want Owens, Ranaudo, Workman and Britton.

I would also want Betts, WMB , Brentz.and JBJ. Obviously they will keep some but roll others  elsewhere for pieces they need.

If we give up that kind of talent we need to either get some pieces in addition to Stanton. BenC. will not be held up to add Stanton----I would check with the Cards for Craig or Freese. I would part with some young pitching to get Craig and possibly a pen arm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

enuf

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

1. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe8 Nov

You can throw all the names out there you want for Stanton, but six guys who might be pretty good does't equal Bogaerts.

Expand
    2. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe8 Nov

Also, the Marlins aren't taking back anybody who makes a decent salary. So forget including Buchholz.

3. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe8 Nov

Before you tweet out Stanton trade proposals, picture yourself as the Miami GM announcing the trade and what the reaction is.

Let's say for a second the #RedSox made a play for Stanton. The Marlins have to get Bogaerts, back right? Otherwise they are fools.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

YOu should have to trade talent to get talent. Middy and one of our best pitching prospects would be a good move. Anything more than that I'd say no. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can throw all the names out there you want for Stanton, but six guys who might be pretty good does't equal Bogaerts.

Expand
    2. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe8 Nov

Also, the Marlins aren't taking back anybody who makes a decent salary. So forget including Buchholz.

3. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe8 Nov

Before you tweet out Stanton trade proposals, picture yourself as the Miami GM announcing the trade and what the reaction is.

Let's say for a second the #RedSox made a play for Stanton. The Marlins have to get Bogaerts, back right? Otherwise they are fools.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting, but as a previous poster pointed out, the 2013 Stanton has lost value - additional trips to the DL and a .249 BA. The Miami GM is going to look like a complete idiot if Stanton continues to regress next year and he did not get anything for him when he had the chance. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe  I cannot see following Abraham on Twitter.... none of his remarks were any more sustaining or meaningful than any post here. Man I need his job, anyone can do what he does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Here, we agree completely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

Interesting, but as a previous poster pointed out, the 2013 Stanton has lost value - additional trips to the DL and a .249 BA. The Miami GM is going to look like a complete idiot if Stanton continues to regress next year and he did not get anything for him when he had the chance. 

If Giancarlo Stanton hits 50 homeruns for a new team next year, the Miami general manager will look bad for trading Stanton for three potentially non-impact players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

Stanton isn't going to be traded. The Sox won't give up their top tier players for a maybe star. At any rate nice subject before the fireworks begin.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I don't like the idea of trading for Stanton (Hamstrings), and I would trade Middy, Bradley, Ranaudo, Betts and de la Rosa for him in one second. 

Miami would ask for Swinhart, Cecchini, Owens, and Ball. 
    I'm leaving Bogaerts out because I think he is off the table. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe  I cannot see following Abraham on Twitter.... none of his remarks were any more sustaining or meaningful than any post here. Man I need his job, anyone can do what he does.

[/QUOTE]

PA works really hard, but I've never been impressed with his BB knowledge.  He's entertaining and interesting, but that's about it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You act like age is more important than service time and the BA ranks are a tangible statistic.

[/QUOTE]

Service time is far more important than age, imo, assuming you are not talking about older prospect.  6 years of service between 24-30 is about the same as 22-28.  Acquiring a player at say 22, with 5 years left, might imply some additional developement.  But after 3 years already in, Stanton is about the player he is destined to be.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Sportswizard1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stanton isn't going to be traded. The Sox won't give up their top tier players for a maybe star. At any rate nice subject before the fireworks begin.

[/QUOTE]

I think he'll be traded, and should've been last year when he was considered the equivalent of Trout and Machado.  Now he's the equivalent of Justin Upton.

But I doubt he'll be be a RS.  We just won a WS by signing guys that flew under the radar.  Good to very good players, just not AS's.  Seems like a fair amount of fans want to go back to collecting the shiny trinkets again.  

The shiny trinket syndrome has devastated the Blue Jays.  They traded the core of maybe the best farm system in BB, with nothing but huge salaries to show for it.

The LAA has traded away Segura, Corbin and Skaggs over the past couple of years, acquired 3 $20M+ 'superstars' to make up for it, and have nothing to show for it.

Stick with the plan, even if we don't win 97 every year.  Stay away from the superstars unless we develop them ourselves.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

If Giancarlo Stanton hits 50 homeruns for a new team next year, the Miami general manager will look bad for trading Stanton for three potentially non-impact players.

[/QUOTE]

You can say that. But the same GM traded his entire team away to the Blue Jays for essentially nothing but prospects. Stanton will get more expensive and he has been less effective from 2012 to 2013. Your point is speculation about 50 HR. I can say that Papi will hit 50 HR next year!! So what?

I don't buy the age issue at all. You made the same argument last year about Stanton and how did that turn out? Stanton played like an old man. I can get it if Stanton is entirely healthy, but he is already showing signs of wear and tear. I suggested Nava last year as part of a trade and you stated that Nava was old. Who played better this year? If Miami had the package I proposed last year, they would be better and the RS would have been worse off without Nava and the others I had proposed.

Stanton is destined to be a DH.

So you stand on speculation that was not borne out this year (2013).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

You can say that. But the same GM traded his entire team away to the Blue Jays for essentially nothing but prospects. Stanton will get more expensive and he has been less effective from 2012 to 2013. Your point is speculation about 50 HR. I can say that Papi will hit 50 HR next year!! So what?

I don't buy the age issue at all. You made the same argument last year about Stanton and how did that turn out? Stanton played like an old man. I can get it if Stanton is entirely healthy, but he is already showing signs of wear and tear. I suggested Nava last year as part of a trade and you stated that Nava was old. Who played better this year? If Miami had the package I proposed last year, they would be better and the RS would have been worse off without Nava and the others I had proposed.

Stanton is destined to be a DH.

So you stand on speculation that was not borne out this year (2013).

Please refresh my memory about "the package [you] proposed last year" and the "same argument" I made "last year about Stanton."

I honestly don't recall either.

For what it's worth, Daniel Nava was valued at 1.8 WAR* in 134 games this season while Giancarlo Stanton was valued at 2.3 WAR in 116 games.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5450&position=OF http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4949&position=OF