Middlebrooks will be moved @ the winter meetings ..........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Middlebrooks will be moved @ the winter meetings ..........

In response to frostyair's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the last 2 years, HR per AB's:

Ortiz 1:16

Napoli 1:18

Middlebrooks 1:19

Napoli is 32 years old and has averaged 118 games per season in the last 4 seasons. He has a degenerative hip disease (medication but no cure), and he's only under contract for 2 more seasons.

Why on earth would the Red Sox be looking to move Middlebrooks and his expensive cost to clear the way for what player? They go out and guarantee Napoli 32 million and turn down the draft pick to get to Cecchini in the next year or two or trade and sign what player(s)?

[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the board and thanks for the voice of reason.  I'm not sure why people are so quick to ship out Middlebrooks besides he doesn't have a patient approach at the plate.  When good hitters get into slumps, they can at least give you good at bats... see Napoli.  When Middlebrooks is in a slump, he just looks really bad and gives nothing beneficial at the plate.  He does have legit power and all of MLB is lacking in that department, but he is not without his warts.  Warts are easy to deal with when a player is making the MLB minimum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2007: Aaron Bates 28 HRs/464ABs, Bubba Bell 26/469, Jon Still 25/440, Brad Correll 23/250 (Wow! what a ratio!), Z Daeges 21/515, S White 21/465, Reddick 18/370

2008: Van Every 26/380, J Bailey 25/418, C Carter 24/470, Reddick 23/482, Still 22/456, Kottaras 22/395, L Exposito 21/417, J Stanley 18/308

Ahh, I miss Lancaster...

[/QUOTE]

I remember seeing Aaron Bates in Lowell when I grabbed some cheap season tickets.  There was every other hitter on the team that year and then there was Bates.  The sound of the ball off his bat was like no other on the field with a distant second being Daeges behind him. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to frostyair's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And I want the Sox to have a guy who can play CF to give Bradley some help

Rajai Davis, perfect compliment to Bradley. Hits LP better than Ellsbury. 

[/QUOTE]

The reason why the idea of Davis has been growing on me is that he could also be the backup to another very importaint piece in Nava as a platoon mate as well as a right fielder for Victorino's days off.  I actually like the idea quite a bit, but we need to release some payroll in order to make that happen somehow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you would be dumb to re-sign Drew for 45 mil/3 or whatever he wants and shift XB to 3b...just give Middlebrooks the job and let him play all year long....if he cant get the job done then Hanley will be available in 2015 and only 31 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I'm not even a MB fan, and haven't been.  But for the concern, he still had a .696 last year, and a career .756.  It would make no sense to me to hire an expensive veteran to replace MB at minimum wage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

Drew might end up wishing he took the QO.

I'm not for trading Middy just for the sake of dumping him. As I have said a couple hundred times over the past 2 years, I prefer a better SS  with glove & range and Bogey moving to 3B, but I'm okay with the left-side IF as is, as long as we get a better utility guy than Holt and Snyder.

I liked Rajai Davis at first, but the more I hear about his so-so defense, I'm not high on him anymore. In Fenway, you need plus defense in CF. Davis does hit lefties well, but so fo scores of other ML OF'ers and we may want someone who platoons with JBJ.

Now that Napoli is signed for 2 years, Cecchini & Middy's not moving there for a while barring injury to Naps. If Papi retires after 2014, Napoli could play some at DH depending on Middy's defense at 1B or if we pick up someone else at 1B.

I am also thinking Cecchini may be pushing the bigs by May or June. We can hold of on trading Middy until July, if that comes through. For now, I'd go with Middy and Bogey at 3B and SS, but trade Dempster & Gomes for a decent compliment to JBJ in CF and a decent left-side utility IF'er. Or, we could trade Peavy for the same. The salary relief could help us now or in July.

I'm okay with finding a SS and moving Bogey to 3B, but Drew would cost too much, and I've fallen in love with the comp picks in next year's deep draft. If there is someone else available, I can see it happening. Then, we could trade Middy for the CF'er insurance and keep the pitching depth until a July trade or all year, if needed. I'm not trying to dis Middy, although I clearly have less faith in his projections than some here. I think it is more out of my love for Cecchini. I have been very high on him for 2 years. Another possibility is to trade Carp or Gomes for a CF'er or left-side IF'er or both.

I like our team as it stands now. Hats off to Ben. Last winter, I had hoped he'd do more for the longterm future, and I got a bit testy at times, but I always said, this team only became truly his with the Dodger trade, and he deserved a chance to prove himself. He did just that!

It will be fun watching JBJ and Bogey. I hope Middy fields like 2012, can keep his OBP near .310 and shows us that power we haven't seen at 3B since Beltre.

I am really looking forward to 2014.

[/QUOTE]

+1 Well put, nice post. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you would be dumb to re-sign Drew for 45 mil/3 or whatever he wants and shift XB to 3b...just give Middlebrooks the job and let him play all year long....if he cant get the job done then Hanley will be available in 2015 and only 31 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I'm not even a MB fan, and haven't been.  But for the concern, he still had a .696 last year, and a career .756.  It would make no sense to me to hire an expensive veteran to replace MB at minimum wage.

[/QUOTE]

Especially with the production projections for Xander being greater than Drew

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I am all good with Middlebrooks and one key prospect for Stanton. I am also prepared for Middy to average 24/80 with the Marlins over the next 5+ years... are you all okay with that?

Or do i have to listen to "we should not have traded Middy" over the course of the next 5 seasons?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If Stiffy can convince guys Davis would be a good fit in the OF as a platoon guy for the next 3 - 4 years, he can convince you guys about anything.....

WOW!

He batted .999 on bad calls last year, & the Sox wanted nothing to do with any of it.  Thank god for that, & the rest is history.  Some guys want to go back to Stiff luck.  

Thank God the Sox aren't stupid!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Rajal? He hasn't made the grade in Toronto and he won't make it here. Classic underachiever.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rajal? He hasn't made the grade in Toronto and he won't make it here. Classic underachiever.

[/QUOTE]

He's good aginst lefties, and if JBJ struggles in 2014, it might help to play him just aginst righties.

The problem I have with Rajai Davis is his CF defense.

(Note: The clown had such issues with "Jake's fielding", but seems OK with Davis.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

My friends, why in the world would we want to trade WM when we really have only touched his potential upside.  He's really only BRIEFLY been with us.  Give the guy a full season or two.  He has too much potential to trade away.  Besides, even if we wanted to trade him, the timing is off.  We'd be trading at a low point for him.

We don't even have a clue if Drew is returning.  If he doesn't, XB will fit right into the position.  Even if Drew does return, it's NOT going to be for any length of time.  Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if BC and company hopes that Drew doesn't return so we can gather another pick.  It won't kill XB, Drew, or WM to platoon a bit if Drew, which I personally doubt, will return.  Besides, Cecchini is only a whisper away. 

On top of this, WM is homegrown and cheap.  Lackey, because of circumstances is cheap.  Dempster and Peavey will, to me, be the most logical people to go.

Victorino will stay in RF.  It would be insanity to expect him to play center.  He's not, like me(LOL), a spring chicken.  Besides, winning a gold glove in RF, especially Fenway, means something.  If the clock isn't broke, don't fix it.  Moving him to CF would not be 'tuning'.  It would be a major event.  My predictoin?: JBJ is a lock-in to start in center until he proves he's not capable.

In essence, I couldn't be more impressed with the job BC is doing.  With what he has done, I have confidence in his decision making.

It was a GREAT decision to hold back on not offering Ellsbury more money.  The organization's decision was perfect.  We had Ellsbury in his prime.  He may have a year, or so, of decent production left, but his best years are behind him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

My friends, why in the world would we want to trade WM when we really have only touched his potential upside.  He's really only BRIEFLY been with us.  Give the guy a full season or two.  He has too much potential to trade away.  Besides, even if we wanted to trade him, the timing is off.  We'd be trading at a low point for him.

We don't even have a clue if Drew is returning.  If he doesn't, XB will fit right into the position.  Even if Drew does return, it's NOT going to be for any length of time.  Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if BC and company hopes that Drew doesn't return so we can gather another pick.  It won't kill XB, Drew, or WM to platoon a bit if Drew, which I personally doubt, will return.  Besides, Cecchini is only a whisper away. 

On top of this, WM is homegrown and cheap.  Lackey, because of circumstances is cheap.  Dempster and Peavey will, to me, be the most logical people to go.

Victorino will stay in RF.  It would be insanity to expect him to play center.  He's not, like me(LOL), a spring chicken.  Besides, winning a gold glove in RF, especially Fenway, means something.  If the clock isn't broke, don't fix it.  Moving him to CF would not be 'tuning'.  It would be a major event.  My predictoin?: JBJ is a lock-in to start in center until he proves he's not capable.

In essence, I couldn't be more impressed with the job BC is doing.  With what he has done, I have confidence in his decision making.

It was a GREAT decision to hold back on not offering Ellsbury more money.  The organization's decision was perfect.  We had Ellsbury in his prime.  He may have a year, or so, of decent production left, but his best years are behind him.

My gut feeling tells me that you are right...... & I still feel that  W M has value and could develop ito a Greg Nettles type hitter (not as sure about his glove).....  I guess it all depends on what we (BEN) are going to do with Stevie Drew !!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

From all reports, and my eyes :) , Cecchini seems to profile better as a 1b because of his slow reactions to balls hit. Sure, Cecchini hasnt showed 20HR power, but as long as hes a 300BA 400OBP with gap to gap line drive power and the occasioinal dinger, Im ok with it. Hey, If the Twinkies are good with Mauer at 1b FT, this shouldnt be an issue since their offense (albeit MLB to MiLB) is basically the same. Im not saying he cant play 3b, because he can. I just think Middy is the better defender there. Middy was a solid defender before the rib injury and I think the slumping offense followed him to the field. He seems to have grown and matured a lot. Big wake up call this year. Not uncommon for a lot of young players. I think he will be ok. No way I trade him.

Having these kind of "problems" are very good. Lots of young talent kicking the door down.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.