Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Middlebrooks

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Montero benched again.

One major difference between Montero and Lavarnway is that Montero has been given a fair chance at the ML level and failed (so far); Lavarnway hasn't even been given that chance. Thats why I would prefer Lavarnway on my team- rather than a proven failure I would take a guy who is an unknown.

I'm not sure I'd call a .260 BA and 15 HRs playing with big park Seattle a "failure".

He has a .703 career MLB OPS at age 23.

MLB catcher OPS the last 3 years:

2011: .704

2012: .717

2013: .732

Seattle handed the starting catchers job to Montero this spring. In less than a month he has been dropped to 8th. in the batting order and sits every other game. Four extra base hits all season and hitting just 200.

For a prospect many thought was at the very least capable of hitting Montero has failed.

Say what you want about the yankees front office but they clearly saw his expectations were on a downward spiral which is why they cut bait with him.

Catchers in this game are in some respects more valuable than starting pitchers.

Teams don't give up on them without good cause.

There is reality then we have your opinion.

King Felix Seattle's best pitcher has started 7 games this season, the only game Shoppach caught was The King's second game on April 6.

Montero caught the season opener minus the 2nd all the rest since.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

if you want to send WM down, does that mean you want to drop SDrew into the middle of the Atlantic?

Small sample size. but since April 22:

Drew .276 / .371 / .519 / .890 with 1HR and 8RBI

Middlebrooks: .220 / .289 / .415 with 2HR and 5RBI

Middlebrooks is young, but his career 26% K rate show little sign of moving.  This would be acceptable if he were drawing walks more than 4% of the time, a number which also shows little sign of improving.

But fans will always like Middlebroks because he is young and homegrown, and fans will always dislike Drew because of his older brother (who was actually good, but never appreciated)...

i dont think either one is tearing it up - but the differences are home runs, age and potential...drew is gone after next year - we should send him packing now and improve the team with iggy...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

if you want to send WM down, does that mean you want to drop SDrew into the middle of the Atlantic?

Small sample size. but since April 22:

Drew .276 / .371 / .519 / .890 with 1HR and 8RBI

Middlebrooks: .220 / .289 / .415 with 2HR and 5RBI

Middlebrooks is young, but his career 26% K rate show little sign of moving.  This would be acceptable if he were drawing walks more than 4% of the time, a number which also shows little sign of improving.

But fans will always like Middlebroks because he is young and homegrown, and fans will always dislike Drew because of his older brother (who was actually good, but never appreciated)...

i dont think either one is tearing it up - but the differences are home runs, age and potential...drew is gone after next year - we should send him packing now and improve the team with iggy...

How will Iggy improve the team? Drews defense has been very good and his offense is starting to make its way to his career norms. Iggy has a low 200's BA and a sub .300 OBP in AAA. Sorry, but I dont think that will be an upgrade at this point. Like you said, its only for one year. So let Iggy get more work in AAA. He obviously needs it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Montero benched again.

One major difference between Montero and Lavarnway is that Montero has been given a fair chance at the ML level and failed (so far); Lavarnway hasn't even been given that chance. Thats why I would prefer Lavarnway on my team- rather than a proven failure I would take a guy who is an unknown.

I'm not sure I'd call a .260 BA and 15 HRs playing with big park Seattle a "failure".

He has a .703 career MLB OPS at age 23.

MLB catcher OPS the last 3 years:

2011: .704

2012: .717

2013: .732

Seattle handed the starting catchers job to Montero this spring. In less than a month he has been dropped to 8th. in the batting order and sits every other game. Four extra base hits all season and hitting just 200.

For a prospect many thought was at the very least capable of hitting Montero has failed.

Say what you want about the yankees front office but they clearly saw his expectations were on a downward spiral which is why they cut bait with him.

Catchers in this game are in some respects more valuable than starting pitchers.

Teams don't give up on them without good cause.

There is reality then we have your opinion.

King Felix Seattle's best pitcher has started 7 games this season, the only game Shoppach caught was The King's second game on April 6.

Montero caught the season opener minus the 2nd all the rest since.

Come on Pop's. Montero is batting .200 with only 4 extra base hits this season.

He sits on the bench half the time so a journeyman player like Shoppach can get some playing time.

If I had to figure out when to play Montero it would be when Felix's pitches because the team doesn't need to score alot of runs when he's on the mound.

You really don't get it do you.

You had Montero going straight from the yanks farm system into the HOF.

Thus you cannot bring yourself to admit once again you were wrong and Montero has all the markings of a sure fire bust.

Remember that  little 5" fish you were showing off with awhile back.

I use bigger bait than that.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Middlebrooks , if you take the big 4 hit 3 home run stats away against the struggling Blue Jay pitching staff, he is hitting .164. So obviously there is a black hole in his strike zone. Like many young hitters, he can't hit the off speed and the breaking balls. The place to learn how to hit is not in the Majors. Jackie Bradley Jr. couldn't hit the slow stuff either, he was sent down, granted they had to make room for Ortiz, but if he was hitting .300 he would have stayed, count on it.

Ogando threw Middlebrooks 7 breaking balls in a row today in one at bat. His hit, which got Ogando pulled, was on a fastball inner part of the plate belt high, Wash immediately removed Ogando after that pitch.  There is no place to hide, he better get use to seeing lots of breaking balls, and he better stop chasing those out of the strike zone. Or he will become a one game wonder real fast.

Too bad he looks like a nice kid, but lots of might have beens couldn't hit the breaking stuff. He's looking up at the Mendosa line, this is not a good thing. Especially for a corner infielder.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Hingham-

He sits on the bench half the time so a journeyman player like Shoppach can get some playing time.

If I had to figure out when to play Montero it would be when Felix's pitches because the team doesn't need to score alot of runs when he's on the mound.

Thus you cannot bring yourself to admit once again you were wrong and Montero has all the markings of a sure fire bust.

Not surprised unskilled fisherman need to use bait to catch fish.

Let me know of another team in baseball who doesn't use their starting catcher behind the plate when their ace is on the mound.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

not the best tude for such a young man

Tuesday, April 23, 2013  

Middlebrooks has no Will to change style Formula remains swing away

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/04/middlebrooks_has_no_will_to_change_style

“I’m not there to walk. I’m not there to take pitches. If it’s close, I’m going to try to hit into the lights. That’s my job. I’ve never been a guy to walk,’’ said Middlebrooks, who has 20 home runs, 94 strikeouts and just 16 walks in 93 career games. “I’ve always been a guy with strikeouts, and that comes along with hitting for power I think. It’s not for everyone, of course, but for the most part, guys who hit for power, they’re not trying to poke the ball through a hole.

“Obviously, certain situations will dictate when I should do that, but for the most part, I’m trying to hit doubles and homers. I’m not going to sugarcoat that for you. I’m trying to hit homers. I’m trying to hit the ball hard.’’

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Thats EXACTLY what a corner infielder should do - enough with the banjo hitting youk-type third besemen..Salty and Middlebrooks are power guys, not average guys. There are other players whose job is to get on base, it is the power guys job to deliver runs. I could care less if Salty and Will have 300 K's between them as long as they hit for 30/100

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Hingham-

Let me know of another team in baseball who doesn't use their starting catcher behind the plate when their ace is on the mound.

Starting catchers don't sit on the bench for half the teams games.

I don't fish for little bait fish.

I buy those or net them for trophy catches.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Hingham-

You're a bait fisherman, that says it all.

Tells volumes about you.

Like when they asked Ted about Yaz, Ted's response was "you know Yaz uses bait."

Your blather the last 2 years Montero can't catch, now reduced to he isn't catching enough games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Tuesday, April 23, 2013  

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/04/middlebrooks_has_no_will_to_change_style

“I’m not there to walk. I’m not there to take pitches. If it’s close, I’m going to try to hit into the lights. That’s my job. I’ve never been a guy to walk,’’ said Middlebrooks, who has 20 home runs, 94 strikeouts and just 16 walks in 93 career games. “I’ve always been a guy with strikeouts, and that comes along with hitting for power I think. It’s not for everyone, of course, but for the most part, guys who hit for power, they’re not trying to poke the ball through a hole.

“Obviously, certain situations will dictate when I should do that, but for the most part, I’m trying to hit doubles and homers. I’m not going to sugarcoat that for you. I’m trying to hit homers. I’m trying to hit the ball hard.’’

reminds me of our first two years with Sori...tho he eventually drew a walk or two :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Tuesday, April 23, 2013  

What I hear from most good hitters is that they don't try to do too much with a pitch, just make solid contact and put a good swing on the ball. If Middlebrooks is up there trying to hit a HR every time he will soon find himself back at Pawtucket to work out the deficiencies in his approach.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Compare the stats for these two hitters as the Red Sox players:

Player A 406 PA, .261/.298/.474/.772, 18 BB, 106 K

Player B 476 PA, .271/.328/.451/.779, 34 BB, 148 K

Player A is Will Middlebrooks and Player B is Wily Mo Pena.

Pena, who joined the Red Sox when he was less than a year older than Middlebrooks was when the latter joined the Sox, had 898 previous MLB plate appearances with Cincinnati.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Sometimes players are up and down when young and some never live up to the hype.

WMB        406 PA, .261/.298/.474/.772, 18 BB, 106 K

J. Montero  650         .260/.303/.398/.702   41   132  

D Ackley    1045        .243/.311/.354/.665   104    221

Smoak     1364          .224/.309/.372/.681    167   332

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Hingham-

Tells volumes about you.

Like when they asked Ted about Yaz, Ted's response was "you know Yaz uses bait."

Your blather the last 2 years Montero can't catch, now reduced to he isn't catching enough games.

Don't think you can catch a tuna with that toy.

As for Montero. Not only can't he catch very well his bat has gone soft.

Still sticking with the "he's the starting catcher" bs.

Might want to change that to platoon player.

With a journeyman I might add.

On Sunday I took my 8 year old nephew out on the boat and watched him land a large bass on a plug.

Kids can do what you do.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Hingham-

Tells volumes about you.

Don't think you can catch a tuna with that toy.

As for Montero. Not only can't he catch very well his bat has gone soft.

Still sticking with the "he's the starting catcher" bs.

Might want to change that to platoon player.

With a journeyman I might add.

On Sunday I took my 8 year old nephew out on the boat and watched him land a large bass on a plug.

Kids can do what you do.

You're comparing a bass plug with a trout fly?

How ignorant you are of the sport.

I undoubtably can do what you can, fish for tuna with bait.

You cannot catch a 27 inch brown trout by making a fifty foot cast and dropping the fly (dry) on still water 4 foot up from the nose of the unsuspecting fish like I did on the E. Branch of the Delaware R. last spring.

Then play him for twenty minutes before getting him into the net.

I'll post his picture but first I'll have to photoshop it to remove my picture.

Maybe we should ask King Felix why he prefers Montero over a vet with 11 years in the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to dmo3of4's comment:

Given his prolonged struggles does anyone feel he would benefit from some time at AAA? He is clearly pressing and has now had 80 ABs, not such a small sample size.  I think this must be considered -- for how long can someone maintain any degree of confidence hitting 160-180?

And how would he be replaced on an interim basis?  Ciriaco certainly has not recaptured last year's magic.

The kid is not dumb and neither are his coaches. His swing is not the same short, sweet, swing it was last year. He's flailing away hoping he makes contact. I'm not sure that time in AAA would help. I'm sure he'll get the message that he needs to simply make contact; lots of batting practice and short contact swings. He'll come around eventually.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

In response to dmo3of4's comment:

Given his prolonged struggles does anyone feel he would benefit from some time at AAA? He is clearly pressing and has now had 80 ABs, not such a small sample size.  I think this must be considered -- for how long can someone maintain any degree of confidence hitting 160-180?

And how would he be replaced on an interim basis?  Ciriaco certainly has not recaptured last year's magic.

The kid is not dumb and neither are his coaches. His swing is not the same short, sweet, swing it was last year. He's flailing away hoping he makes contact. I'm not sure that time in AAA would help. I'm sure he'll get the message that he needs to simply make contact; lots of batting practice and short contact swings. He'll come around eventually.

He found his own problem - and solution - last night.  In his next-to-last AB he tried to win it all with one swing.  Three brutal swings at three balls he didn't touch.

Then in his last AB he shortened up everything and made solid contact for a hit. 

The question is, did he learn anything last night?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think we lost a pretty good hitting coach in Magadan. We replaced him with two guys , Colbrunn and Rodriguez.  I am not seeing good results so far.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I think we lost a pretty good hitting coach in Magadan. We replaced him with two guys , Colbrunn and Rodriguez.  I am not seeing good results so far.

I disagree, I think our approach has been much better this year.  Last year we fell to second-last in the league in walks.  This year we're second.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If Middy can keep swinging like his last AB last night, he will be fine. Take what they give him and just make solid contact. Adjust to the pitch.

Im with you dgalehouse. Not too impressed with the hitting coaches allowing him to get this far in the first place. Other than that, weve done pretty good at the plate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

He needs to stop chewing that bubble gum at the plate.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Obviously , we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Watching the games , one can pretty much see what the book is on pitching to the various Sox hitters. It is up to the hitters , with input from the coaches , to make the needed adjustments.  I did notice a dugout shot last night of Ellsbury talking with Colbrunn before going to the on deck circle. He proceeded to drive the ball in the gap , something he has not been doing.  Coaching does matter , as long as the player is receptive to it. Even the very best golfers and tennis players have coaches to help with their game.  Middlebrooks has a lot of raw ability. There is no reason that he should continue to struggle as badly as he has.