Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Middlebrooks

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Stephen Drew is that stats' nightmare. Hes looked great defensively as well.

As compared to whom?

Lowrie?

Good, compared to his UZR/150 numbers (which is a waste of a stat)...Anyone with a good pair of eyes can tell hes looked solid this year defensively. Hes made some great plays with no errors so far. And over his career. I told you before, Ill believe the people who have been around him and have watched him more than some defensive stat.

That stat has as much value as you and mef guessing if Iggy would have got to a ball that Drew didnt and make the play.

I apologize if Im being a little harsh, but I cant stand defensive stats that hurt an otherwise good defensive player. And most defensive stats are very questionable IMO.

Is UZR/150 a "waste of a stat" when it shows the Red Sox atop the current UZR/150 team rankings?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=22,d

Might be a little harsh on my part, but I trust my eyes as far as defense than what the stats say. way to many possibilities and intangibles when it comes to defense. I like stats for offense and pitching, but not so much for defense.

Thats good that the sox are atop the UZR/150 charts. But from watching all the games, I could come to that conclusion, as well as see the deficiencies for what they truly are. Just because the Sox are the best according to UZR/150 doesnt mean Im going to start liking the stat.

To each their own I guess. Ill stick with offense and pitching stats.

Don't back down.  UZR showed Crisp with +17, +18, -2, +25, -2.  Ells went from +21, -10, +1, +16.  My experience is that most defense is fairly consistent.  And most movement is slightly up for a while, then slightly down for a while.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Middlebrooks is a talented ball player.  Leave him in, he will be fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Middy went 2-4 w/ his 6th HR & only 1 SO tonight. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Middy went 2-4 w/ his 6th HR & only 1 SO tonight. 

Hopefully a sign that he's breaking out of his funk. On weei the other day they were talking about how he has really stepped up as representitive of the team and perhaps he was pressing too hard in order to justify this position.

Thankfully with baseball being as it is a bad streak can be broken with a bloop hit. Middlebrooks has been mashing a lot of balls that ended up being right at someone. With the law of averages in effect more of those hard hit balls should start dropping for hits. Also look for him to heat up powerwise as the weather warms up. He has a great fenway swing. I'm really looking forward to this kids bright and hopefully long future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Despite his struggles at the plate, Middlebrooks, if he plays at least 154 games, is on a pace for 42 home runs and 84 RBIs. The RBI total should be higher of coure for that many RBIs, but as he gets back on track, his average will come up, which should lead to more RBIs.

He might be trying too hard to hit home runs. He just needs to take a smarter approach. He's hit well at every level, so I expect his average to start to come up. I don't want him to be Dave Kingman (37 HR with .204 batting average one year).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Despite his struggles at the plate, Middlebrooks, if he plays at least 154 games, is on a pace for 42 home runs and 84 RBIs. The RBI total should be higher of coure for that many RBIs, but as he gets back on track, his average will come up, which should lead to more RBIs.

He might be trying too hard to hit home runs. He just needs to take a smarter approach. He's hit well at every level, so I expect his average to start to come up. I don't want him to be Dave Kingman (37 HR with .204 batting average one year).

If he can learn to go the other way more often, he wont have to rely on hitting "mistake" pitches so much. They are pitching him away mostly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Stephen Drew is that stats' nightmare. Hes looked great defensively as well.

As compared to whom?

Lowrie?

Good, compared to his UZR/150 numbers (which is a waste of a stat)...Anyone with a good pair of eyes can tell hes looked solid this year defensively. Hes made some great plays with no errors so far. And over his career. I told you before, Ill believe the people who have been around him and have watched him more than some defensive stat.

That stat has as much value as you and mef guessing if Iggy would have got to a ball that Drew didnt and make the play.

I apologize if Im being a little harsh, but I cant stand defensive stats that hurt an otherwise good defensive player. And most defensive stats are very questionable IMO.

UZR compares him to league average defenders against standardized zones.   There is no way to establish where Middlebrooks is defensively simply by watching him and him alone.  

All defensive stats have issues.  Simply counting errors has issues.    And might be the worst way to verify defensive skill.   Adrian Beltre is considered a defensive wizard at 3B (and for good reason), but leads all active 3B in career errors, and by a good margin.  Beltre has 246 errors.   Aramis Ramirez is second with 218 ...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Yes, I think it's as simple as that.  He's learning his trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Too early to put labels on any player. Some are performing well, some over their head, and some not up to their potential. Its only April. WMB will probably have his good share of K's every year. He also has the 30HR potential with a good average. Typical #5 hitter stuff. I think he'll figure it out.

The issue really is not the K's.  The issue is the K's with the lack of walks.

A hitter who strikes out alot because he sees a lot of pitches and works the count is one thing.  But a hacker who simply takes 3-4 p[itches and U-turns to the dugout is another.   Middlebrooks strikes out 26% of the time, which is not an alrming number.  But he only walks 4% of the time.

The active King of K's, Mark Reynolds, strikes out 32% of the time, but at least he walks 11% of the time, or roughly 3 times as often as Middlebrooks.

Before Middlebrooks came up, I compared him to Butch Hobson.  Unless he does something to change his overly aggressive approach at the plate, this comp is not looking all that bad in some respects...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Don't back down.  UZR showed Crisp with +17, +18, -2, +25, -2.  Ells went from +21, -10, +1, +16.  My experience is that most defense is fairly consistent.  And most movement is slightly up for a while, then slightly down for a while.

UZR/150 should really just be used in large sample sizes, like 2-3 years.

To think a fielder never has fielding slumps or surges, improvements and declines is not realsitic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

It's a good thing he wasn't a NYY, otherwise some would be declaring him Another overhyped prospect.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

It's a good thing he wasn't a NYY, otherwise some would be declaring him Another overhyped prospect.

Middlebrooks actually came out of nowhere - only ranked once in BA top 100, before 2012, and only as high as 51.  Montero makes Middlebrooks look like Hank Aaron right now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Middlebrooks actually came out of nowhere - only ranked once in BA top 100, before 2012, and only as high as 51.  Montero makes Middlebrooks look like Hank Aaron right now.

That's pretty hard to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Agreed.  Hard to believe scouts grouped him in with the likes of Stanton, Heyward, Trout & Harper.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I agree.  I think his talent remains fairly raw (defensively far from slick, poor batting eye), but he has a pretty high ceiling.  In 2012 he had a great start, if from a small sample....so some treated him as if he was the finished article.  He obviously wasn't and still isn't.  Project to 40+ HR if you want, but despite his 3-tater game his OPS is .634.  

I'm NOT anti the guy, I'm a big supporter medium/long term....but other than one game this season he's been an offensive disaster - 10-1 K/BB rate in 2013 - and he fell off the cliff last season.  Solution?  I'm not long on them.  Would be good if we had a lefty hitting alternative, but we don't.  Spell in the minors?  Not yet, but at some point it has to be considered....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Agreed.  Hard to believe scouts grouped him in with the likes of Stanton, Heyward, Trout & Harper.

Yeah You never over hype Sox prospects, what's his name Sammy Davis Jr. we heard about all spring?

He had a bust in Cooperstown.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I agree.  I think his talent remains fairly raw (defensively far from slick, poor batting eye), but he has a pretty high ceiling.  In 2012 he had a great start, if from a small sample....so some treated him as if he was the finished article.  He obviously wasn't and still isn't.  Project to 40+ HR if you want, but despite his 3-tater game his OPS is .634.  

I'm NOT anti the guy, I'm a big supporter medium/long term....but other than one game this season he's been an offensive disaster - 10-1 K/BB rate in 2013 - and he fell off the cliff last season.  Solution?  I'm not long on them.  Would be good if we had a lefty hitting alternative, but we don't.  Spell in the minors?  Not yet, but at some point it has to be considered....

Or. he could be suffering from the very real sophomore slump; some adjust to it, some don't. I don't think the 3 HR game helped either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I liked him when he first came up.  These guys play 162 games, they have streaks, it's normal.  In my humble opinion I think he's going to be a plus for the sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he has the strongest, quickest wrists since Jim Ed and that could seriously mean RBI/HR crowns....the only thing that has ever worried me about WM are his throws to first...and like Salty he has done well overcoming his mechanics yips

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Montero 2 hrs ba .333 last 6 games, a hr 2 rbis last night, 5 rbis the last three games.

As I have said on previous occasions he will warm up with the weather.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Montero 2 hrs ba .333 last 6 games, a hr 2 rbis last night, 5 rbis the last three games.

I guess you've dis-proved global warming then, because this kid gets worse every year.

Jackie Bradley Jr was ranked one slot higher than Mason Williams in the Baseball America top 100.  Care to wager who has a better career?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I guess you've dis-proved global warming then, because this kid gets worse every year.

Jackie Bradley Jr was ranked one slot higher than Mason Williams in the Baseball America top 100.  Care to wager who has a better career?

I would not bet either way on that one.

I remember Peter Gammons denigrating JD Drew for the start of his career, with his hold out and tenure in the Northern League, saying these moves were keeping him from developing as a player and he cited the early success of Ben Grieve as a better way of handling the early career.

Like or dislike JD, who had the better career - him or Grieve? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Montero hit.328 his first season up with the Yankees.

His 2nd and his official rookie season unprotected in the middle of the lineup of the worst offensive team in the AL, number 28 out of the 30 MLB teams.

Now at .333 the past 6 games, 5 RBis the past two.

Who knows how if Bradley or Williams will even make it in the MLs?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Montero hit.328 his first season up with the Yankees.

His 2nd and his official rookie season unprotected in the middle of the lineup of the worst offensive team in the AL, number 28 out of the 30 MLB teams.

Now at .333 the past 6 games, 5 RBis the past two.

Who knows how if Bradley or Williams will even make it in the MLs?

They can still have minor-league careers.  If Mason never makes it out of High-A ball, I win.

In 2009, Montero posted a .951 OPS in A+ - AA 

In 2010, he posted .870 at AAA - at best a push

In 2011, he posted .814 at AAA - a step backwards

In 2012 he posted .685 at the major-league level

Thus far in 2013, .601