Mike Morse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Mike Morse

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Things are heating up.

@JimBowdenESPNxm: There are 10-11 teams in on Michael Morse. Seattle, Tampa Bay and Yankees have been most active trying to get him. #confirmed

[/QUOTE]

I'm not really seeing the value in Morse, unless Bens best plan this season is to find as many decent but not great players to platoon with eachother all year in hopes of raising our OBP through any injuries we incur.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Things are heating up.

@JimBowdenESPNxm: There are 10-11 teams in on Michael Morse. Seattle, Tampa Bay and Yankees have been most active trying to get him. #confirmed

[/QUOTE]

I'm not really seeing the value in Morse, unless Bens best plan this season is to find as many decent but not great players to platoon with eachother all year in hopes of raising our OBP through any injuries we incur.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, all they have to do is rotate the guy in who's about to get 2 or 3 hits and sit the guy eyeing the golden sombrero!

Easy.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Morse can play 1B and LF and fill in at 3B and RF.

The guy has averaged 35 HRs per 650 PAs with the Nats.

Even if we end up signing Naps, there can be plenty of room for Morse.

The biggest problem with Morse is not Naps, but it is his 1 year team control. I would not trade for him, unless we can extend him.

I'm kind of surprised at some of the posters who think we have a decent shot at winning this year, who love the short term deals like Drew, who know we need a middle order bat to improve our odds at winning a ring, and yet seem to be against getting Morse.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The biggest problem with Morse is not Naps, but it is his 1 year team control. I would not trade for him, unless we can extend him.

I'm kind of surprised at some of the posters who think we have a decent shot at winning this year, who love the short term deals like Drew, who know we need a middle order bat to improve our odds at winning a ring, and yet seem to be against getting Morse.

[/QUOTE]

The Sox need a "left" handed bat who can play a little first base and some outfield.  Morse is a solid player, but he doesn't make any sense for this team since he is "right" handed.  Since there seems to be a lot of teams that are in on him, it's probably not a good idea to overpay for a guy who doesn't really fit at all. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli also bats right handed. Are you saying that we don't need Napoli or Morse? where is this coming from? What is your remedy, who should we get for first base?

[/QUOTE]

The Napoli deal will get done, which eliminates the need for Morse. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

not grabbing hamilton was a mistake.......talk about adding pop to the middle of the lineup....he was well worth the price...and alone he is far superior in the lineup compared to victorino and gomes combined

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox need a "left" handed bat who can play a little first base and some outfield.  Morse is a solid player, but he doesn't make any sense for this team since he is "right" handed.  Since there seems to be a lot of teams that are in on him, it's probably not a good idea to overpay for a guy who doesn't really fit at all. 

[/QUOTE]

We need a guy that hits HRs at a 35+ per 650 PA rate, lefty or righty, but we don't need a 1 year fix.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

not grabbing hamilton was a mistake.......talk about adding pop to the middle of the lineup....he was well worth the price...and alone he is far superior in the lineup compared to victorino and gomes combined

[/QUOTE]
    Have you read in numerous news reports what the strategy is of the ownership, FO, and Ben. It has been very public and out there for everyone to see and digest. It has also been discussed on this forum hundreds of times. As fans, we are at the mercy of what the FO has for a long range plan, we don't have to agree with it but we need to recognize it and realize that we are dealt these cards and have to live with it.  Why debate it when we are just a pizzhole in a snowbank?

[/QUOTE]

That's what a baseball forum is all about. You may call it "just a pizzhole in a snowbank", but some of us enjoy debating different baseball managerial philosophies. We realize what Ben's plan is. Some agree, some don't, and some seem to go along no matter what he chooses as a plan.

(Thanks for a baseball post.)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sold on Morse's value to the Sox....esp. if Napoli signs.  Theoretically versatile with small platoon splits, but at 31 he's been entrusted to play exactly 1 full season as a regular.  And we'd have to trade something for him....for 1 year of control. 

I'd greatly prefer Napoli, assuming the health risk isn't too great.  Of course, as I have no personal knowledge whatsoever about Napoli's hip, I won't make an arrse of myself by making assumptions about it.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

In the event that the Napoli deal  falls through and I hope that it does since he is a huge risk at his terms we need to look at the best alternative out there.  Does anyone here have an alternative that makes sense, seeing that there are very few options other than Morse? Stop reading this thread and come forward with a good option.  Morse is one alternative, what are the others?

[/QUOTE]

What do you base that opinion on?  How many people in the world are likely to have enough information to make such a statement?  5?  10?

The number certainly doesn't extend to guys on the internet.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sold on Morse's value to the Sox....esp. if Napoli signs.  Theoretically versatile with small platoon splits, but at 31 he's been entrusted to play exactly 1 full season as a regular.  And we'd have to trade something for him....for 1 year of control. 

I'd greatly prefer Napoli, assuming the health risk isn't too great.  Of course, as I have no personal knowledge whatsoever about Napoli's hip, I won't make an arrse of myself by making assumptions about it.

[/QUOTE]

I am agreeing that we should not trade for 1 year of Morse. If we could extend him another 2 years, I'd think about it.

Since he can play 1B & LF and fill in at 3B or RF, he can get 550+ PAs without really having a position.

Morse:

2010-2012 OPS .861 Overall  (.856 vs RHPs/ .876 vs LHPs)

Career vs RHPs: .830/vs LHPs .860

LF: Gomes has good splits only vs LHPs. Morse could get 350-450 PAs in LF.

1B: Naps can catch some and is often hurt. Morse could get 50-150 at 1B.

3B: Middlebrooks will have to rest at some point. Morse could get 50 at 3B.

RF: Victorino struggles vs RHPs, so Morse could get 50-150 in RF.

A guy who hits 35 HRs per 650 PAs can be accomodated.

The issue is the 1 year deal. We don't need a 1 year deal.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I suggested trading Morales and Miller for Morse in the event that the Napoli deal fall through. Don't do it unless you can extend Morse past this year.  I am being specific. Please respond with specifics about our need at first base. I am not into conflict, I am just stating my case. Proceed and keep your response within the criteria that the Napoli deal fails.

[/QUOTE]

No Napoli? I still would not trade M & M for Morse, even though both only have 2 years of control. If we could extend Morse 2 years, I'd make your trade, but am not sure the Nats would.

I really don't see why the Naps signing negates the need for a 35 HR per 650 PA player that can play LF vs RHPs (400-450 PAs), 1B when Naps sits or catches, RF and 3B in a pinch, and it all comes to as many PAs as he can get.