MLB Prediction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

MLB Prediction

Channel 86 The Baseball Channel is predicting the Red sox for third place in the AL East. They are saying that it will be the Yankees possibly winning the AL East with 100 wins and TAmpa Bay finishing 2nd place. They said that we do not have a settled shortstop and do not understand what they did with trading Marco Scuttaro. There is too many question marks in our rotation as well. I cannot understand what they did with Scuttaro to pick up Cody Ross. Unless Ben does something else with a pitcher and an established shortstop we are in trouble. I am wondering if Larry Lucchino is giving us lip service about us flying by the luxury tax threshold as well. They also said Youkillis has something to prove in proving he can stay healthy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: MLB Prediction

Yankees will not win 100, Rays will not finish second. That is asinine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karlosantonylimtiaco. Show Karlosantonylimtiaco's posts

In Response to Re: MLB Prediction:
    [QUOTE]Yankees will not win 100, Rays will not finish second. That is asinine.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Redsox will squeak into the wildcard with 93 wins. They will have a one game show (assuming 2 wildcards) against the Angels. Pujols strikes out to end the Angel's season. Redsox go on to beat Detroit in 6. Game 7 of world series comes back to Fenway. In the bottom of the 9th with a tie game, Pedroia will take Papelbon deep over the Green Monstah. Happy 100th Anniversary Boston!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hard to see where the Sox are "locked" in for a play-off spot - they cannot just slug their way there now. Detroit will acquire a missing piece in July if they need it, as they cannot afford to not upgrade with so much on the line. Tampa has the  pitching and the competitive drive. New York never shies away from spending. This leaves the California Angels who may stand-pat but are already holding a seat at the table.

I fear that Beckett will dissapoint, and Lester will be the only 15+ game winner on the team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to MLB Prediction:
    [QUOTE]Channel 86 The Baseball Channel is predicting the Red sox for third place in the AL East. They are saying that it will be the Yankees possibly winning the AL East with 100 wins and TAmpa Bay finishing 2nd place. They said that we do not have a settled shortstop and do not understand what they did with trading Marco Scuttaro. There is too many question marks in our rotation as well. I cannot understand what they did with Scuttaro to pick up Cody Ross. Unless Ben does something else with a pitcher and an established shortstop we are in trouble. I am wondering if Larry Lucchino is giving us lip service about us flying by the luxury tax threshold as well. They also said Youkillis has something to prove in proving he can stay healthy.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

I think the whole team has something to prove after the collapse last year.  I believe that the players will come to spring training this year with a strong purpose to erase that sour taste in their mouths, especially Beckett.  Youk's ability to stay healthy is a different issue, but I'm expecting the attitudes to be right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Hey, it's TRUCK DAY!!!

One step closer to Opening Day!

WOOHOO!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Watched the same report, just a few minutes ago.

A few flaws in their thinking/pontificating:

Plesac says the Yankees have all the offensive power.  He lists Granderson, Cano, ARod, Teixeira, the list goes on.  Does it?  RF?, C?, LF? even SS are not real offensive juggernauts.  Also, the pitching was said to be so deep, even though Pineda is slotted in at #2 and comes with questions.  What about starters 3 - 6?

Then they say that the Rays have the best starting in the entire league.  I do not disagree, but why wouldn't the Rays be your #1 pick in that case, and how do the Yankees win 100 without the best pitching in the league?

They point out that at this time last year the Sox were considered to have the best pitching in the league and predicted to win the division.  Well, there is a lesson there somewhere.  And, the Sox return with pretty much the same team, except for Lackey, Papelbon and Matsuzaka.  Having replaced them with Melancon, Bailey and Bard (moving into Lackey's slot) ought to put them right back into the same position.  Offensively the Sox are as good or better than the Yankees.  The Sox have a good #1, and #2 in the rotation.  3 - 6 have potential and question marks.  If the Yanks can win 100, acording to their logic, so can the Sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

To me, the ALE is just beyond prediction.  We won't know til the games are being played.  It should be an exciting season...I can't wait.  Hopefully the Sox surprise the pundits.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]Channel 86 The Baseball Channel is predicting the Red sox for third place in the AL East. They are saying that it will be the Yankees possibly winning the AL East with 100 wins and TAmpa Bay finishing 2nd place. They said that we do not have a settled shortstop and do not understand what they did with trading Marco Scuttaro. There is too many question marks in our rotation as well. I cannot understand what they did with Scuttaro to pick up Cody Ross. Unless Ben does something else with a pitcher and an established shortstop we are in trouble. I am wondering if Larry Lucchino is giving us lip service about us flying by the luxury tax threshold as well. They also said Youkillis has something to prove in proving he can stay healthy.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]
    Is that the same Channel that had the Patriots beating my Giants....LOL LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Trading away Scutaro was to free up some money to:

Sign a starting pitcher
    Stay beneath the luxury tax limit.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

Aviles can hit and I think most people will be very surprised how well he does. Defensively there is a little drop off from scutaro, but I think his offensive production will exceed scutaros.  I get the feeling Cody Ross will excell in an environment(fenway) where every game matters and will end up being a great signing.  I am ok with this team going into the season with or without another starting pitcher, mainly because I know that realistically that starting pitcher will prob be oswalt and that would be a 50/50 chance of working out based on health issues, pitching in the AL east and then the finacial aspect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Going into last year, we thought we had a great staff with Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Lackey & Dice-K.  In retrospect, Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Bard & Aceves looks much better than last year's reality - I think there is a good chance the pitching improves overall, and an outside chance the Bard becomes the ace of the staff.  

Conversely, we thought the Yankees were in a lot of trouble with CC, Hughes, Nova, Burnett, Colon / Garcia, but their staff turned out to be a real strength.  Now they have CC, Pineda, Nova, Kuroda & Garcia / Hughes.  On paper, they look stronger, but can they realistically expect to improve on last year's surprisingly good performance? 

I think the Sox are the better offensive team, but until I see what Aceves and Bard bring to the rotation, I give a slight overall edge to the Yankees.

I don't think the Rays finish ahead of us, though - they are about what they were last year, and that's a very, very good pitching team with young arms, bullpen holes, and below average offense.  They will stay in games, but will not win enough of them to finish ahead of the Sox.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Carl Crawford - OF - Red Sox Appearing on MLB Network's "Inside Pitch," Red Sox president and CEO Larry Lucchino said he has no regrets about signing Carl Crawford to a seven-year, $142 million contract last offseason. "We have enormous success for Carl Crawford. He is going to be a key player and a key performer for this team in 2012 and for several years thereafter,'' Lucchino said. ''Performance is not a linear thing. We just prefer to rely on the body of work that Carl has behind him. I think he’s going to make an enormous contribution and become a very popular player here in Boston." Crawford will be looking to bounce back in a big way in his second year after coming off a season that saw him hit just .255/.289/.405 with 11 home runs, 18 stolen bases and 56 RBI in 2011. Source: MLB Network Radio Feb 11 - 9:11 AM Talk about crazy predictions!
    Posted by Yankenstein2[/QUOTE]

It is crazy to think that a player one season removed from a year when he could have easily been AL MVP might possibly bounce back.  That's just plain nits.

It's not nearly as easy as predicting Hiroki Kuroda will get hammered like a sorority girl on jell-o shot night after leaving Los Angeles.  Every pitcher to leave LA does...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]Going into last year, we thought we had a great staff with Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Lackey & Dice-K.  In retrospect, Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Bard & Aceves looks much better than last year's reality - I think there is a good chance the pitching improves overall, and an outside chance the Bard becomes the ace of the staff.   Conversely, we thought the Yankees were in a lot of trouble with CC, Hughes, Nova, Burnett, Colon / Garcia, but their staff turned out to be a real strength.  Now they have CC, Pineda, Nova, Kuroda & Garcia / Hughes.  On paper, they look stronger, but can they realistically expect to improve on last year's surprisingly good performance?  I think the Sox are the better offensive team, but until I see what Aceves and Bard bring to the rotation, I give a slight overall edge to the Yankees. I don't think the Rays finish ahead of us, though - they are about what they were last year, and that's a very, very good pitching team with young arms, bullpen holes, and below average offense.  They will stay in games, but will not win enough of them to finish ahead of the Sox.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Good post slomag, and I agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MLB Prediction : Redsox will squeak into the wildcard with 93 wins. They will have a one game show (assuming 2 wildcards) against the Angels. Pujols strikes out to end the Angel's season. Redsox go on to beat Detroit in 6. Game 7 of world series comes back to Fenway. In the bottom of the 9th with a tie game, Pedroia will take Papelbon deep over the Green Monstah. Happy 100th Anniversary Boston!
    Posted by Karlosantonylimtiaco[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, yeah. That's perfect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

AL, the Sox were heavy favorites last year by everyone who thought their opinion mattered....made it sound like the games didn't even have to be played, it was a given. Phillies too. I'm glad we're being touted as anything but this season. Let the games begin.....the sooner the better

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Age will catch up with the Yankees this year---  Tampa has a nice rotation.  The Blue Jays will be contenders as well.  94 Wins will win the AL East.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]To me, the ALE is just beyond prediction.  We won't know til the games are being played.  It should be an exciting season...I can't wait.  Hopefully the Sox surprise the pundits.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Agree that it far too early to make any predictions.  Pitching could be the difference maker for the Red Sox.  If Beckett, Lester and Buchholz all remain healthy and all have good seasons, the Red Sox should be ok.  It also depends on how the rest of the pitching staff does, including the 4th and 5th starting pitchers and the bullpen.  They have a good chance of 2nd place in the AL East if the pitching staff is successful. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

LOVE the Red Sox BUT that prediction is difficult to argue with... we need a SS now AND its sad that we havent obtained Oswalt. Pray for injuries on the Rays?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to MLB Prediction : LOVE the Red Sox BUT that prediction is difficult to argue with... we need a SS now AND its sad that we havent obtained Oswalt. Pray for injuries on the Rays?
    Posted by DeweyCBoston[/QUOTE]

blasphemy! Cool
    looking forward to another exciting season of baseball. good luck to the Sox but I hope we dog you all season.  Go Rays. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Revised 2012 MLB predictions given latest acquisitions (and some second thoughts):

Al East: Yanks
    Al Central:Tigers
    AL West: Rangers 
    Wild Card: Angels over Rays
    ALDS: Yanks over Angels; Rangers over Tigers
    ALCS:Yanks over Rangers (7 games)

NL East: Phillies
    NL Central: St. Louis
    NL West: Arizona
    NL Wild Card: Miami over Washington
    NLDS: Phillies over Diamondbacks; Miami over Cardinals
    NLCS: Phillies over Marlins (6 games)

World Series: Yanks over Phillies in 6 games

This one can be taken to the bank (La Rive Gauche) or prehaps preferably your local credit union...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Spoken like a cautiously optimistic Yankee fan, Zac, with a Master's Degree in Reverse (Expectations) Psychology...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MLB Prediction : Age will catch up with the Yankees this year---  there's an original thought
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Does anybody else think Mariano Rivera's mysterious medical condition was male menopause?