MLB scalar question?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

MLB salary question?

Why do players take a slightly higher salary to change teams? I am talking about guys who take maybe 1 or 2 milion more. It is not like a guy making 50k taking 5 or 10k more to change jobs. 

A guy making 10 mil offered either 14 by his current team or 15 mil by a new team seems to always take the higher one. I can understand a guy on a lst place team moving to a team with a better team but some just seem to move just for the money and do not seem to look at the things surrounding staying vs leaving????? Is it just the money/status or what".......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: MLB scalar question?

Maybe they don't like the city, or looking for a change of scenary, but some plain greedy, and some don't think things through.  That's why I have to laugh at guys like Buerhle.  He could've insisted on a no-trade, but then Miami doesn't sign him.  So he takes more money from Miami, then whines that they traded him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

One million dollars is a lot of money. it is hard to turn that down, no matter how much you have. That is true not only in baseball, but in every walk of life. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why do players take a slightly higher salary to change teams? I am talking about guys who take maybe 1 or 2 milion more. It is not like a guy making 50k taking 5 or 10k more to change jobs. 

A guy making 10 mil offered either 14 by his current team or 15 mil by a new team seems to always take the higher one. I can understand a guy on a lst place team moving to a team with a better team but some just seem to move just for the money and do not seem to look at the things surrounding staying vs leaving????? Is it just the money/status or what".......

[/QUOTE]

I don't know what the deal is, but it's a little disheartening to me.  For most players, it's all about the money.

I realize that baseball is a business, but what happened to virtues such as playing for the love of the game, playing where you're happy, team loyalty, loyalty to the fans, etc. 

I understand that loyalty works both ways, and that some players who have given hometeam discounts have gotten screwed (ie Bronson Arroyo).  IMO, both sides should work a little harder at showing loyalty to each other.

Then there's Johnny Damon, who sold out and turned his back on the fans that made him the icon that he was here for more money.

Loyalty aside, it seems like players are leaving a team/city that they thrived in, that they enjoyed playing in, that they were happy with, for the sake of a few extra million.  They then seem to end up regretting the decision.

Is the few extra million really worth sacrificing these things?  After all, what can you buy with $48 million that you couldn't buy with $45 million?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]A $$$$$$$  GRAB, before the "BIG O" moves to regulate the game.....  Just saying !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

maybe the question should be

why didn't the home team match the '' slightly higher salary '' offer

like dgalehouse said a million is still a lot of money

and something could be said about going to a place where they want you more

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

For some players,going to another team means an opportunity to play more.For others it could be they're going to play for a team that's usually in contention,or close to their hometown and family.

For some it's just plain greed. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I don't know what the deal is, but it's a little disheartening to me.  For most players, it's all about the money.

I realize that baseball is a business, but what happened to virtues such as playing for the love of the game, playing where you're happy, team loyalty, loyalty to the fans, etc. 

I understand that loyalty works both ways, and that some players who have given hometeam discounts have gotten screwed (ie Bronson Arroyo).  IMO, both sides should work a little harder at showing loyalty to each other.

Then there's Johnny Damon, who sold out and turned his back on the fans that made him the icon that he was here for more money.

are those the oakland fans or sox fans we are talkin about

is it fair to assume that only in boston

it's ok to come for the money but not to leave for the money

someone else showed it yesterday

glad to see the deep down love for johnny is still there

Loyalty aside, it seems like players are leaving a team/city that they thrived in, that they enjoyed playing in, that they were happy with, for the sake of a few extra million.  They then seem to end up regretting the decision.

it happens

but no worries johnny was happy in ny

Is the few extra million really worth sacrificing these things?  After all, what can you buy with $48 million that you couldn't buy with $45 million?

obamacare

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In the hypothetical example by Jim, that 1 million dollars invested wisely is worth a lot more than a simple million. The players owe their families the best possible outcome, they owe the fans nothing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

it happens

obamacare

[/QUOTE]

I guess the difference is that, had he stayed in Boston, they'd have been naming parks after him.  In NYY, no one will remember him in another couple of years.  I just think it is a little sad if someone is willing to sell their values.  Switching the teams isn't so bad, but developing the caveman image, then cutting the beard and wearing a suit and tie everyday, just feels odd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the hypothetical example by Jim, that 1 million dollars invested wisely is worth a lot more than a simple million. The players owe their families the best possible outcome, they owe the fans nothing.

[/QUOTE]

I could be making 50% more than I am making now, and all I would've had to do would have been to move to Chicago.  It never even rose to the level of a consideration.  I'm not saying you can't buy my love and affection, but if you want me to live in Chicago for 15 years, rather than NY, I wouldn't do it for $1M.

I have no exp[ectations for being rich or poor, and $1M is a ton of money.  But I wouldn't take it to move away from my home.  So I don't understand why someone with 50-100x my wealth would either.

I'd be curious to hear from others how much money it would take them to leave their homes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

it happens

obamacare

[/QUOTE]

That works for all teams.  I'm certainly not going to complain if a player wants to come to Boston.  But if Damon had taken less money to stay with Oakland, I would have respected that. 

I think it was pretty much a consensus around baseball that people were glad that Mauer stayed with the Twins, because of these principles.  Not that he isn't being paid handsomely. 

Even though I would like to see more players signing somewhere for reasons other than money, I don't begrudge players for leaving Boston for a bigger paycheck.  I hold no grudge against Youkilis for signing with the Yanks.  With Damon it's different because he sold out.

It ended up working out okay for him because of 2009.  But honestly, I think there was a period when he regretted the decision.

Touche' on the Obamacare.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could be making 50% more than I am making now, and all I would've had to do would have been to move to Chicago.  It never even rose to the level of a consideration.  I'm not saying you can't buy my love and affection, but if you want me to live in Chicago for 15 years, rather than NY, I wouldn't do it for $1M.

I have no exp[ectations for being rich or poor, and $1M is a ton of money.  But I wouldn't take it to move away from my home.  So I don't understand why someone with 50-100x my wealth would either.

I'd be curious to hear from others how much money it would take them to leave their homes.

[/QUOTE]

If it is truly your home. For these guys , it is not their home. They are drafted to play where the team is located. That does not make it their home , even though you live there while employed by the team. These are people who have a talent that makes them desirable. To maximize that, they often need to be mobile. As fans, we may not appreciate it, but it is a fact of life. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

maybe the question should be

why didn't the home team match the '' slightly higher salary '' offer

like dgalehouse said a million is still a lot of money

and something could be said about going to a place where they want you more

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. " Loyalty" goes both ways.  You can say, " why would the millionaire player leave for just a million dollars more? "   But you could also ask, " why doesn't the billionaire owner spend just a million more to keep the player ? "  Let's be honest here. You can't have it both ways. Money talks. Sometimes we like it , sometimes we don't. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Wow I am happy a thread that did not go off the rails Thanks...

I think Damon is a good example of going to NY yes he got more money but as one said he was revered in Boston had he'd stayed he would have been as big as Ted, Yaz, and Ortiz IMHO

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you factor in state sales tax? Tony Romero is the highest netting player in the NFL and Dwight Howard was willing and did take less money to play in Texas. It is also a pride thing. You don't want to leave money on the table and you want to help push salaries higher for the rest of the union.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you factor in state sales tax? Tony Romero is the highest netting player in the NFL and Dwight Howard was willing and did take less money to play in Texas. It is also a pride thing. You don't want to leave money on the table and you want to help push salaries higher for the rest of the union.

[/QUOTE]

State income tax is a deal killer too. Not sure why the players are not contracted to a "services" company, that than leases the service to the team. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow I am happy a thread that did not go off the rails Thanks...

I think Damon is a good example of going to NY yes he got more money but as one said he was revered in Boston had he'd stayed he would have been as big as Ted, Yaz, and Ortiz IMHO

[/QUOTE]

No way man.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Look how many highly paid players end up broke.

A million is a million uis a million...

Also, I'd want as much money as possible for my children's children's children...

It's a legacy (if managed correctly).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I think that many players "judge" their worth as players completely through the money that they sign for.

So, I am better than you if I make more money than you do kind of thought process.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Can we get over the Damon-to-New York crap? Damon wanted a longer term deal than the Sox were willing to give. It was a lenght of contract deal more than the salary per yer. Damon's time as a CF was running out and the Sox new that. 

The fact remained is that Damon played just one more year in center field. After that, he had no position in Boston. Manny was still in left, Ortiz DH and Youk at 1B. There was no position for Damon anymore in Boston after one more year.

In New York, he played one year in CF then moved to other positions. He played 134 games in CF games in 2006 then just 86 games in CF the rest of his career. 

So what should have Damon done? Showed "loyalty" to stay two more years (tops) in Boston then being pushed aside for a younger player. He got better security in New York, and the Sox still went on to win another W.S. a couple of years later. I don't understand why so many Sox fans get so hung up on Damon leaving for New York.

The Sox didn't want him, he's free to get the best security that he can get. 

I understand in principal with Jim's original post, and I think there certainly are instances where the money is so great with the team the player is with that you wonder if it was worth it for the player to sign for slightly more to move.

But at the same time, players do have short careers, so even at those salaries, there's nothing wrong with maximizing their earnings.