MLB to begin testing for HGH this season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: MLB to begin testing for HGH this season

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

Jeez.....wonder why any pro would take the hight road?

Take off your naive vest.

As in choosing not to use or to be contrite and admit to using and bare his soul and tell the truth....I did it because I was looking for an edge so I could continue to earn millions while playing a game I love. The first time I hear that, then I'll give the guy his due...to date none of them have and it's doubtful they ever would...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

BT

We do not know what happened behind closed doors during this era, nor will we ever know.

We do not know if in fact there were incidents of the non-users confronting  abusers on their respective teams.

I suspect the players who play the game clean were turned off by the ramped PED and HGH use throughout the game and did protest to mlbpa union reps.

I also suspect those same players were turned off by the rumors of possible use whenever they had a season where they themselves worked hard played within the rules and put up decent numbers and then had to listen to those rumors.

But I cannot hold it against any one player who was not involved to play sheriff to finger those that were.

Too much pressure to bear from the mlbpa, fellow players and the media who would immediately hound dog those who came forward for more information.

That they are allowing random blood testing in 2013 tells me that the tide has gradually changed within the membership of the mlbpa and for the better I might had.

Myself I prefer to focus on those who have failed tests or have had evidence come presented to prove that were involved with HGH or PEDS.

In my mind without any of those circumstances players like Mike Piazza should be left out of the conversation, he should be judged by the numbers he put up as a player alone.

That guys like Piazza have been caught up in the scandal without proof that he was involved is unfair and one of the reasons I think the MLBPA decided it was time for random blood testing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to AL34's comment:

Google Sports Illustrated last July and he is in the major article about steroids and baseball. Stop being so opinionated already and accept someone else' s opinion.

How about a credible link concerning Jeter.

After googling Naulty's name it comes up on all these nut ball discussions on back room blogs which have absolutely no credibility on the subject nor do you.

I'm opinionated because I  requested  a credibile link/s you could provide to back up your claims that Naulty fingered Jeter as a PED user.

This morsal of crud you used to slime Jeter.

And who in the world is Naulty? Where did he make the comments and were they made under oath?

I'm open to other opinions that's why I come here and why I asked for your source, quite frankly I can't find Naulty's comments.

As I've said here before, you can accuse anyone of anything on the internet, say anything about anybody, but  to prove it's true is altogether different. 

This is where you fall down.

You like to make these outlandish claims here but when asked to produce the source of such rubbish you can't even do that.

Instead you attack the poster asking for your source.

You don't come here for opinions, you come to a rival team's board to defend your team. I can't think of a more ridiculous way to spend your time. Why do you care so much what Sox fans say about the Yankees on their own board? I don't care what Yankees fans say about the Sox on their boards. If I did go to a Yankee board, I would just laugh at them. Do you think the millionaires you spend your time defending across the Internet spend one second of their time defending you?

You come here to a rival teams board to bla bla bla bla bla

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Google Sports Illustrated last July and he is in the major article about steroids and baseball. Stop being so opinionated already and accept someone else' s opinion.

How about a credible link concerning Jeter.

After googling Naulty's name it comes up on all these nut ball discussions on back room blogs which have absolutely no credibility on the subject nor do you.

I'm opinionated because I  requested  a credibile link/s you could provide to back up your claims that Naulty fingered Jeter as a PED user.

This morsal of crud you used to slime Jeter.

And who in the world is Naulty? Where did he make the comments and were they made under oath?

I'm open to other opinions that's why I come here and why I asked for your source, quite frankly I can't find Naulty's comments.

As I've said here before, you can accuse anyone of anything on the internet, say anything about anybody, but  to prove it's true is altogether different. 

This is where you fall down.

You like to make these outlandish claims here but when asked to produce the source of such rubbish you can't even do that.

Instead you attack the poster asking for your source.

You don't come here for opinions, you come to a rival team's board to defend your team. I can't think of a more ridiculous way to spend your time. Why do you care so much what Sox fans say about the Yankees on their own board? I don't care what Yankees fans say about the Sox on their boards. If I did go to a Yankee board, I would just laugh at them. Do you think the millionaires you spend your time defending across the Internet spend one second of their time defending you?

Maybe you would prefer I raise my standards and come here with posts like your good buddy al34 and accuse honest players like Dustin Pedroia of being a steroid cheat without any evidence.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Jeez.....wonder why any pro would take the hight road?

Take off your naive vest.

As in choosing not to use or to be contrite and admit to using and bare his soul and tell the truth....I did it because I was looking for an edge so I could continue to earn millions while playing a game I love. The first time I hear that, then I'll give the guy his due...to date none of them have and it's doubtful they ever would...

No pro athelete has admitted it?

LOL

You may wanna check your facts.

no pro athlete has ever as in never been contrite and honest regarding the motive behind use....no pro athlete "while playing and using has ever voluntarily admitted to use, until they have failed a drug test. name one....Giambi was the closest but stopped short because he understood that if he had his contract with the Yankees would have been voided. feel free to paint this anyway you wish...Honesty and integrity has been replaced with avoid and defer...Sorry but you can continue to ping me on this, but after 20 years of watching this saga unfold.

My position then and now is the same. The incentive to use, outweighed the penelties of testing positive. I also am not trying to paint myself as above this...heck if I could have juiced when I was 20 and it would have helped me to make it to the big leagues. Trust me I would have rolled up my sleeve and or assumed the position and let the doc fire away...

my issue with this entire ordeal is that somehow the players think of themselves as victoms of circumstance when in fact all of them were a party to the evolution of this ERA...Sorry but as a union they collectively bargain in the best interest of and it took an act of congress to finally get them to relent To testing while hiding behind the CBA and fighting every attempt to amend the CBA while hiding behind the infringement on their civl liberties! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

BT

We do not know what happened behind closed doors during this era, nor will we ever know.

We do not know if in fact there were incidents of the non-users confronting  abusers on their respective teams.

I suspect the players who play the game clean were turned off by the ramped PED and HGH use throughout the game and did protest to mlbpa union reps.

I also suspect those same players were turned off by the rumors of possible use whenever they had a season where they themselves worked hard played within the rules and put up decent numbers and then had to listen to those rumors.

But I cannot hold it against any one player who was not involved to play sheriff to finger those that were.

Too much pressure to bear from the mlbpa, fellow players and the media who would immediately hound dog those who came forward for more information.

That they are allowing random blood testing in 2013 tells me that the tide has gradually changed within the membership of the mlbpa and for the better I might had.

Myself I prefer to focus on those who have failed tests or have had evidence come presented to prove that were involved with HGH or PEDS.

In my mind without any of those circumstances players like Mike Piazza should be left out of the conversation, he should be judged by the numbers he put up as a player alone.

That guys like Piazza have been caught up in the scandal without proof that he was involved is unfair and one of the reasons I think the MLBPA decided it was time for random blood testing.

TWM,

I don't disagree with any of your positions. I think over the years you know where I stand as well. 

All I will add is you reap what you sow...the players and all involved in the facilitation of bare responsibility for where the game is today and the suspicion of and the lack of trust that we can believe any of them that declare themselves to be clean.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

BT

TWM,

I don't disagree with any of your positions. I think over the years you know where I stand as well. 

All I will add is you reap what you sow...the players and all involved in the facilitation of bare responsibility for where the game is today and the suspicion of and the lack of trust that we can believe any of them that declare themselves to be clean.

BT

There was a cheating scandal at West Point.

This is not a perfect world we live in.

Look at cycling and Lance Armstrong and how many tours he won before one of his team mates stepped forward.

We do not know if there was peer pressure applied to the abusers,  or how much, or if players turned their backs to the abuse, or if in a lot of the cases such B. Bonds it was done outside the confines of team view, we  simply do not know what went on behind closed doors.

What we do know is that MLBPA is agreeing to random blood tests in 2013.

I did notice there was a lot of  public commentary after the recent hof vote by former players on the use of anabolic steroids and hgh in the game and those who did not get in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

agree the proposed testing program is a step in right direction.  they stop short of saying how often random testing will be done and how they will determine who gets tested, which is really the key.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

agree the proposed testing program is a step in right direction.  they stop short of saying how often random testing will be done and how they will determine who gets tested, which is really the key.

I agree.

But because of the involvement of the MLBPA  union and MLB you would have to think the program will be fair.

But we'll see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

Tough blow for the Yankees.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

not that it's a big deal, i guess the culture we now live in(sportswise) dictates that everyone should be suspect, imo..a sad commentary on American sports

Respectfully Jete, but cycling is hardly an American sport...Peds "AKA" Sports medicine knows no boundaries...It pervasive in all sport and in fact it's origins are in fact rooted in Eastern Europe and China...

Derek Jeter is just as responsible as Bud Selig and every player that wore a unifrom in the last 20 years for hiding behind a collective bargining aggrement and allowing the use to get to the point that it literally took an act of congress to get the players association to finally relent to  the pressures of congress and agree to testing. I know that you know the he knew of the use in the Yankee clubhouse and he looked the other way. Instead of standing on a chair in the middle of the clubhouse and calling out those that he knew were using...

i hear you Beans....i guess "American sports" was too broad a term...i just meant the sports where we hear most of these stories...i'm totally NOT against testing, i realize it inhererently makes all the athletes in that sport responsible 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to PaulLaCourse's comment:

Maybe not. You remember when questions about Colon and his surgery came up, not by any help from Colon btw, it was decided they would deal with it after the season was over, which they never did, of course. The fact that he was allowed to pitch that season without even being tested, shows you have much power the Yankees have as far as MLB is concerned.

There will be no pivotal Yankee player that will be tested during the season and found to be using. Take that to the bank.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

I agree.

But because of the involvement of the MLBPA  union and MLB you would have to think the program will be fair.

But we'll see.

I think there should be two objectives:  1) make an honest effort to clean things up even if trying to stay ahead of the cheats is ultimately futile; and 2) be seen to be making an effort to attempt to rebuild some credibility. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

not that it's a big deal, i guess the culture we now live in(sportswise) dictates that everyone should be suspect, imo..a sad commentary on American sports

Respectfully Jete, but cycling is hardly an American sport...Peds "AKA" Sports medicine knows no boundaries...It pervasive in all sport and in fact it's origins are in fact rooted in Eastern Europe and China...

Derek Jeter is just as responsible as Bud Selig and every player that wore a unifrom in the last 20 years for hiding behind a collective bargining aggrement and allowing the use to get to the point that it literally took an act of congress to get the players association to finally relent to  the pressures of congress and agree to testing. I know that you know the he knew of the use in the Yankee clubhouse and he looked the other way. Instead of standing on a chair in the middle of the clubhouse and calling out those that he knew were using...

i hear you Beans....i guess "American sports" was too broad a term...i just meant the sports where we hear most of these stories...i'm totally NOT against testing, i realize it inhererently makes all the athletes in that sport responsible 

I think it's harsh to blame Jeter or any presumably clean player for the cheats' behaviour.  Players aren't subservient to veterans and/or captains, they are peers.  They are a team and shouldn't be ratting each other out as if it were a murder case. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Jete,

Don't you find it a bit curious that the NFL suspends a dozen players a year for use of and for the most part fly under the radar. While in MLB Baseball it's viewed and reported like a scandal...Part of that I think stems from our need to hold on to what has made baseball the game that it is. In a statistic driven sport, the timeless quality that allowed us to compare Babe Ruth's 714 with Hank Aaron's 755 and Barry Bonds, was lost during this ERA and replaced with an asterisk *. I also feel as though the manner in which Fehr and the player association fought the implementation of testing and the all to public nature of the congressional hearings. Where many of the players purgered themselves and the susequent trials helped to fuel what is now a three ring circus.

In the end MLB has only themselves to blame in totale, none of those that participated in allowing this to get to this point are without some level of responsibility. I too support more stringent testing and have since learning of the pervasive use by the players. I will add that testing alone won't rid the game of and until the penalty for use is such that it's prohibitive. Those looking for an edge will continue to seek out the next best scientists who have developed the means to mask the use of and the cycle will continue.

Manny Ramirez signed a 25M dollar extension with the Dodgers based on numbers he emassed while on steriods, got busted, suspended without pay for 50 games. Returned and netted 17M...

So I'll asked a simple question..Would you take an illegal substance that in so doing gave you the ability to based on your production seek compensation in your present employment. That would set you and your familiy up for life, a wage that was comensuarate with the best in your field, that you otherwise wouldn't be able to command if you were clean. One that carried a penalty if caught you'd be suspended for a month, then allowed to return thereafter, at the same wage and the only thing you'd have to sacrifice is the moneys docked while on suspension. I think most of us if honest with ourselves would indeed "drink the tonic".

It is from this prisism that MLB and every other professional or ametuer sports organization needs to view this issue. Melky Cabrera was suspended for 50 games last year, then this past offseason signed a free agent contract with the Blue Jays...So in the end, he lost a couple of million, still made a couple of million and will this year make a couple of million more. So getting busted in my mind is hardly a deterent...If they truly want to make inroads and stiffle the use of, they have to take away the very thing that motives the players to use...the game itself and the riches bestowed upon them becasue they can hit a round ball with a round bat, squarely.

I would have to think that a two year suspension without pay and the team has the option of voiding the player contract. Would serve as a far greater deterent than the current slap on the wrist of 50 games without pay. It won't elimante the cheaters from continuing to look for an edge...but will give many others pause...Locks are meant to keep honest people honest. If the penalty for murder in our society was a night in jail, the bodies would line the streets...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to PaulLaCourse's comment:

Maybe not. You remember when questions about Colon and his surgery came up, not by any help from Colon btw, it was decided they would deal with it after the season was over, which they never did, of course. The fact that he was allowed to pitch that season without even being tested, shows you have much power the Yankees have as far as MLB is concerned.

There will be no pivotal Yankee player that will be tested during the season and found to be using. Take that to the bank.

Yeah the Yankees will be ignored like they were in the Mitchell report.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Jete,

Don't you find it a bit curious that the NFL suspends a dozen players a year for use of and for the most part fly under the radar. While in MLB Baseball it's viewed and reported like a scandal...Part of that I think stems from our need to hold on to what has made baseball the game that it is. In a statistic driven sport, the timeless quality that allowed us to compare Babe Ruth's 714 with Hank Aaron's 755 and Barry Bonds, was lost during this ERA and replaced with an asterisk *. I also feel as though the manner in which Fehr and the player association fought the implementation of testing and the all to public nature of the congressional hearings. Where many of the players purgered themselves and the susequent trials helped to fuel what is now a three ring circus.

In the end MLB has only themselves to blame in totale, none of those that participated in allowing this to get to this point are without some level of responsibility. I too support more stringent testing and have since learning of the pervasive use by the players. I will add that testing alone won't rid the game of and until the penalty for use is such that it's prohibitive. Those looking for an edge will continue to seek out the next best scientists who have developed the means to mask the use of and the cycle will continue.

Manny Ramirez signed a 25M dollar extension with the Dodgers based on numbers he emassed while on steriods, got busted, suspended without pay for 50 games. Returned and netted 17M...

So I'll asked a simple question..Would you take an illegal substance that in so doing gave you the ability to based on your production seek compensation in your present employment. That would set you and your familiy up for life, a wage that was comensuarate with the best in your field, that you otherwise wouldn't be able to command if you were clean. One that carried a penalty if caught you'd be suspended for a month, then allowed to return thereafter, at the same wage and the only thing you'd have to sacrifice is the moneys docked while on suspension. I think most of us if honest with ourselves would indeed "drink the tonic".

It is from this prisism that MLB and every other professional or ametuer sports organization needs to view this issue. Melky Cabrera was suspended for 50 games last year, then this past offseason signed a free agent contract with the Blue Jays...So in the end, he lost a couple of million, still made a couple of million and will this year make a couple of million more. So getting busted in my mind is hardly a deterent...If they truly want to make inroads and stiffle the use of, they have to take away the very thing that motives the players to use...the game itself and the riches bestowed upon them becasue they can hit a round ball with a round bat, squarely.

I would have to think that a two year suspension without pay and the team has the option of voiding the player contract. Would serve as a far greater deterent than the current slap on the wrist of 50 games without pay. It won't elimante the cheaters from continuing to look for an edge...but will give many others pause...Locks are meant to keep honest people honest. If the penalty for murder in our society was a night in jail, the bodies would line the streets...

I agree with you about the ridiculous 50 game ban. It's a joke. There's no way MLB can be taking PEDs seriously when they HAVE TO know that that "punishment" is a joke. After watching the Lance Armstrong interview I was amazed at how organized it was. I truly believed it was guys just doing this on their own. It does appear that there are people in sports organizations who are facilitating the whole process, possibly with entire teams like cycling. Maybe they need to focus their attention there instead of individual players. I mean the blood transfusions set up in other countries, along with supplies for the entire team? Unreal. It seems it's more readily available than what it appears in baseball. And Selig has to know this as well along with management in baseball organizations.

Maybe they're not focusing on the big picture. These guys that are supplying athletes, probably like McNamee and his ilk never seem to be the focus of any accusations. And as in Clemmens trial, they wind up as guys who work to bring down the athletes. Something is wrong with that picture.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

If anything Lance without meaning to has thoroughly convinced me Clemens is guilty and now I am more likely to assume Bautista, Ortiz, Manny, and so many others were on their own cycle. Pun intended.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

If anything Lance without meaning to has thoroughly convinced me Clemens is guilty and now I am more likely to assume Bautista, Ortiz, Manny, and so many others were on their own cycle. Pun intended.

Nice of you to just rattle off Sox players names. Your new found Yankee compadres will appreciate the gesture, I'm sure. Just like your "I appreciate Yankee fans/trolls occupying this board" stance.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Although the topic is relevant, a thread like this is an open invitation for cranks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Although the topic is relevant, a thread like this is an open invitation for cranks.

No Yankee fan is going to like a conversation about PEDs. It's your money-maker.

Btw, saw you on the Pats board. Wonder if they know that someone with a screenname NHSteven is known as a Yankee fan there. I doubt it. I still don't get why some of you keep throwing your comments around without identifying yourself. You have to want it that way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

No Yankee fan is going to like a conversation about PEDs. It's your money-maker.

Btw, saw you on the Pats board. Wonder if they know that someone with a screenname NHSteven is known as a Yankee fan there. I doubt it. I still don't get why some of you keep throwing your comments around without identifying yourself. You have to want it that way.

For a change, what a bunch of crock. I welcome this subject, since it's stained the game (and I'm glad the HOF voters have responded in kind). BTW. there's just as many PED users on all the teams, give or take, including your beloved Red Sox. On the Pats board, I would think my avatar would tell them, & TexasPat (I doubt U know him there, an excellent, knowledgeable poster, the guy who writes up the report cards, and is as good at it as any journalist) has complimented me on it.