MLB's relationship with Japan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

MLB's relationship with Japan

Why is MLB so respectful toward the NPB?  I don't mean to sound cynical, and it's obviously a huge boon to Japanese baseball....but what is MLB's motivation to behave so well?  Why don't they just throw money at the top Japanese players to "defect"? rather than post huge fees to players' clubs or wait for players to complete their 10-year commitment?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: MLB's relationship with Japan

This has a racist undertone, I am reporting it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Becasue the Japanese culture is not like our's.  the players RESPECT their current bosses (owners).  and it would be dishonorable to do what you suggest.  to some people honor is more important than money.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Becasue the Japanese culture is not like our's.  the players RESPECT their current bosses (owners).  and it would be dishonorable to do what you suggest.  to some people honor is more important than money.

slash swish

plus payback has been known 2 b a B____

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that Japanese teams could then begin to compete for international free agents and also some of the top free agents. Which would then lead to many of the top players using the Japanese league as leverage. Something both leagues would prefer to avoid. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It is a business agreement. MLB makes a ton of money selling MLB merchandise in Japan and the rest of Asia. They sign some one without posting all that money is gone. $20 million by one team is a drop in the bucket for MLB.

Besides how many HRs would some MLB player hit in Japan. Bautista hits 40+  in Japan it would be a lot more.

Heck Youk may havve acareer year there next year if he stays healthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why is MLB so respectful toward the NPB?  I don't mean to sound cynical, and it's obviously a huge boon to Japanese baseball....but what is MLB's motivation to behave so well?  Why don't they just throw money at the top Japanese players to "defect"? rather than post huge fees to players' clubs or wait for players to complete their 10-year commitment?

[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about this?  I think MLB does not owe a posting fee to a true FA.  I was under the impression that a posting fee was only owed if the team lets a player go early.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about this?  I think MLB does not owe a posting fee to a true FA.  I was under the impression that a posting fee was only owed if the team lets a player go early.

[/QUOTE]

you are exactly right...the fee is to let the player out of his contract...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you are correct. after the 10 year minimum a player can sign in the MLB freely. they need to be posted if they wish to play in the MLB before they fufill their 10 year obligation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you are correct. after the 10 year minimum a player can sign in the MLB freely. they need to be posted if they wish to play in the MLB before they fufill their 10 year obligation.

[/QUOTE]

yup..i think tanaka had 2 more years....